[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wait! Who is doing this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (160 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
160 KB, 1920x1080
Wait! Who is doing this?
>>
File: 1445143780320.jpg (43 KB, 710x539) Image search: [Google]
1445143780320.jpg
43 KB, 710x539
SUCH A LUST FOR REVENGE
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
Great villain. Prove me wrong.
>>
The story of Ground Zeroes was better than all of TPP combined.

It was a peek of the tone kojima wanted, but was forced to change because it was too dark and serious for konami the 12 year old xbox audience.
>>
>>321017384
He was a good villain he was just unable to ever accomplish anything meaningful in the story
>>
>>321017528
By poisoning major tom before he finished the AI, skullface managed to single handedly lead to the AI going out of control and nearly destroying humanity.
>>
>>321017654
Yea but we don't get to see that. I meant more along the lines of something he did directly in TPP. His characterization was pretty good and his motives were good, I just feel that he was never completed as a character
>>
>>321017908
Yeah as far as the game goes he was pretty much a comic book farce. It's sad that most of the games story was delivered over "casette tapes" in a really ham handed "I DID THIS BECAUSE..." fashion.

Also I don't think anything was completed in the game. The game was edited and censored so heavily there is really nothing left.

The worst were the non-sequitur cutscenes that would happen from time to time for no reason and did nothing to advance the story.

Quiet attacks a mans teeth with a knife.
Quiet recovers shabanis pendant.
I'm sure there were more but I've mostly repressed the horrible memories of TPP.
>>
>>321018248
Yea with quiet in particular it feels like Kojima made the badass chapter trailers first and then tried to find a way to shove everything he put in the trailers into the game. And I don't think he succeeded, every cool part in the trailers was just a disjointed 2 minute cutscenes that didn't affect the entirety of the game.
>>
>>321018561
Right, from the trailer I had hopes of a grand story to be exposed through the cutscenes.

But as it turned out the trailers we saw were pretty much the contents of every cutscene and absolutely no story was advanced or exposed.

Quiet saves the helicopter from a jet attack that for some reason uses its machine guns only and attacks the helicopter perpedicularly flying toward the helicopter door chaingun.
^Possibly the worst cutscene in the game.
>>
>>321019320
Shit's crazy dude. Now I just hope kojimbo redeems himself with his new studio. (Also just ordered Zone of the Enders which is coming in tomorrow. can't wait for that.)
>>
>>321019660
I really think it was pressure from konami that fucked up TPP, looking forward to seeing what kojima can do in the future.
>>
>>321019874
Yea cause he's still definitely got the spirit to keep going. I mean who else would go through all that bullshit (losing the rights to the franchises that he created and that helped raise Konkani to where it is today) and keep making games without even a break.
>>
>>321018248
They basically made Peace Walker 2 and made the mistake of not putting it primarily on PSP.
>The mission-based setup didn't really work for the story because so much had to be hamfisted in.
>The side-ops were filler; occasionally fun filler but filler nonetheless.
>Most of the story missions were basically side ops that really didn't need to be there. An example would be the one where you infiltrate the airport to eliminate the inspector. These missions often had to shoehorn in a reason to exist such as "This unnamed dindu has intel we need but were arent even going to bother having a voice actor record a sentence or two for him."
>Unlocking equipment was a pain in the ass. It was fine in MGS4 with the whole drebin points thing but now you need additional resources, high-level personnel, and real time in order to unlock something as simple as a suppressor.
>Suppressor durability is back and it is even worse. Now you're lucky to get through 2 mags without your suppressor being kaput. Yes, suppressors do degrade but at nowhere near the rate they do in the MGS games unless you like firing at full auto constantly.

We already found out with the MGS collection that having peace walker on a console felt like a hamfisted port. As a console/PC game, it is crap. if they'd just put it on the PSP, would have been fine.
>>
>>321020183
Right, it was a huge mistake to emulate the PW model for TPP. PW was my least liked MGS as far as game play went.

All the mechanics in PW were clearly made to be a mobile game you play in short intervals and you can do boring timesink "content" like base management. Fultoning troops and managing your base were two horribly unfun mechanics that I didn't like in peacewalker and liked even less in TPP.

>>Most of the story missions were basically side ops that really didn't need to be there. An example would be the one where you infiltrate the airport to eliminate the inspector. These missions often had to shoehorn in a reason to exist such as "This unnamed dindu has intel we need but were arent even going to bother having a voice actor record a sentence or two for him."

Exactly this. Most missions were "kill literally who" or "rescue literally who". Completely unrewarding and generic and had nothing to do with the story. Compounded by the shitty AI and never really feeling like I was outgunned or under any threat at any point in the game.
>>
>>321020183
Actually I gotta say I kinda liked the idea of the peace walker formula. If Kojima spent less time on the side ops and more on the main ops I feel like it could fix the mgs4 problem of nonstop plot you know (that is if it was implemented better and if the game actually had a proper story). Also I do agree that even the side characters felt completely unneeded and that some missions to gather info could have just been told to you by kaz or ocelot... Or a real fucking cutscene am I right?!?
>>
>>321021197
True he could have made it work, but maybe 10 of the missions were directly related to the storyline.

It was also annoying trying to ferret out the story in the missions by following the scripted NPCs around and waiting for them to talk. I see where he was going with something like an "open world story" but it was more a nuisance.

Maybe that was part of his intention; having to read between the lines and discover the story of what was going on in your mission.

But for the most part it just felt like the missions you were on were irrelevant.
>>
>>321022024
Yea honestly I feel that Kojima was just misguided in the basics of the story-telling for his game.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.