[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've had pic related for a few months now, and I must admit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9
File: 1441607661247.jpg (33 KB, 508x508) Image search: [Google]
1441607661247.jpg
33 KB, 508x508
I've had pic related for a few months now, and I must admit I've had a lot of fun with it. That being said, I do have some criticisms and I was wondering if anyone felt the same way:

>At no point have I ever thought "Thank God this thing has a touch screen!". It's a useless gimmick that does little for gameplay and drains battery.
>I like that the 3DS is "closable", but they should have made it more ergonomic. The fact of the matter is that for newcomers this is not an easy thing to hold. Once your used to it, it gets better, but I've seen people really struggle with holding it.
>This last one's a little minor, but I am still not sold on why this thing needed two screens. It makes the entire device hard to balance and in 90% of the cases it doesn't show anything that a button-press couldn't have showed/hidden anyway.

Your criticisms to the 3DS?

Pretend Nintendo's reading it.
>>
How much will Nintendo charge me to repair one if I've voided warranty?
>>
>>320997886

How bad is it fucked? Like, if you picked out 90% of the innards I don't think they'll even bother repairing it. Just charge you for a new one+++.

How'd you break it?

Or are you planing some hardware surgery?
>>
>>320997059
My biggest criticism is its crippled resolution in favor of gimmicks. The GB, GBC, GBA were the most straightforward consoles ever but succeeded due to their incredibly diverse libraries.

Tldr: focus on innovating the software not the hardware
>>
>>320997059
people main complaint is how to hold?????
first i ever heard of it. has alot of good games actually. have both the vita and 3ds
3ds is the better investment but the vita does has its pros. was playing legend of dragoon on it so fucking chash
>>
>>320998159

You don't need a TL;DR for one line. That being said, I agree with you mostly. There really doesn't exist a reason that the resolution should be this piss-poor for anything.

Things they could have stripped for better performance/battery IMO:
>3D - shitty gimmick I don't think I've turned on once since I got the box
>touch - pointless attempt to cater to a Japanese audience who have long since turned their backs on you
>camera/mic - no one is here to talk to or take pictures with their consoles, there are already things out there that do this infinitely better than the 3DS
>>
>>320998114
I threw it onto my bed in an embarrassing fit of Sm4sh rage and it hit the butt end of my power adapter. Now the system still turns on, but I've got a Black Screen of Death. Tried pulling out the battery and SD Card, but that hasn't helped.
>>
>>320998295

Nah, not the main complaint. The main complaint would probably be all the weird features people didn't ask for.

The games are still diverse and Nintendo still hold great sway over developers with their handhelds. But all these gimmicks are doing is adding more pressure to utilize this stupid crap.
>>
>>320998513

Does it charge properly? If so then you've probably damaged the motherboard. I read somewhere that the 3DS is a solid machine, but that the motherboard is attached in some weird-ass way.

Anyway, it'll probably be about 100 bucks to fix something like that I'd guess.

If it doesn't charge properly, it's just the battery that's been knocked around a bit, and won't cost you more than 20-30 bucks.

There is shipping costs too though.
>>
3D is fucking useless
Camera is useless

I fucking LOVE the activity log though. I know it's stupid but I enjoy looking at how much time I wasted over games, how long it took me to beat 'em and shit like that.
>>
>>320998612
gimmicks like what?
i turn off the 3d and other than that there is the stylus which it depends on what game your playing.
like if monster hunter its fine or animal crossing.
explain gimmicks?
>>
>>320997059
I do like some gimmicks.

Good gimmicks:
>The camera is nice. Maybe a game that uses interactive software can use it. I have seen the end of Bravely Default use it and I'm a bit impressed.
>Touchscreen is nice too. My opinion with it is similar to the camera.
>Same goes for the mic.
>The clam design is a bit handy: you seal the buttons so even when left on the buttons won't accidentally get pushed.

Meh gimmicks:
>I'm not really fond of 3D. For one thing, it hurts my eyes and makes me dizzy. I haven't turned the 3D function of mine on since I bought it.
>>
>>320998842
It still charges fine. Ugh.
I suppose I should be honest about how it happened, right? I couldn't just say it fell out of my pocket on the bus or something?
>>
>>320999159

See >>320998480. Specifically:
>3D - shitty gimmick I don't think I've turned on once since I got the box
>touch - pointless attempt to cater to a Japanese audience who have long since turned their backs on you
>camera/mic - no one is here to talk to or take pictures with their consoles, there are already things out there that do this infinitely better than the 3DS

When have you ever thought you really needed that goofy mic? Or that early-2000s-cell-phone-camera?

These get in the way of the battery and the performance, and force devs to try to cater to these stupid contraptions.
>>
>>320999071
I forgot:
I love the gyro
Playing OOT with it on is a blast
Kid Icarus needs a sequel with gyro controls
>>
File: zvy3ihdwem8v1kdyljaj.jpg (22 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
zvy3ihdwem8v1kdyljaj.jpg
22 KB, 636x358
>>320997059
I'm in the US and actually have the standard New 3DS that came with Happy Home Designer

Does anyone else find it really hard to get the C-stick to register downward inputs?
>>
>>320999249

I don't agree with the first 3 points. I honestly to God never thought the camera was anything but a waste of hardware, and the mic even more so.

The touchscreen I can almost see where you're coming from, but physical buttons will always be quicker and more accurate than fiddling around on some tiny-ass screen.
>>
>>320999304

You don't have to be TOO honest. You should describe the damage. If you threw it against a wall in fury, you could say that a friend scared you and you dropped it.

The buss thing works too. As long as you get the message across that it's impact-damage they should be able to handle the rest.
>>
I have had my 3DS since June and have no buyers remorse. the only thing i dont care for is the 3D capailities, I find it disorienting no matter what angle or distance im looking at it. I just have it off all the time but if anyone likes it, to each his own.
>>
My biggest criticism is the lack of titles on the virtual console. There's so much yet to be released,but instead they just pull the excuse of doing the Wii U VC
>>
>>320999650
Alright. I'll see if I can open a repair ticket tomorrow, I don't think there's anyone working at this hour.
I just hope I don't lose my NNID, DLC buys, or Ambassador status/games over this...
>>
>>320999964

Nah, nah not at all. My brother fucked his up horribly once by dropping it in (I shit you not) the toilet.

They transferred his account, with DLC and everything to a new 3DS. His was broken beyond repair, but if such turns out to be the case with yours they'll offer to move every byte of data to a new console. And that part is free.
>>
Question, is CFW of any importance on the 3DS?

Like, can I actually play pirated games with it? Does it support emulation?

I've heard mixed things about the 3DS hacking scene.
>>
>>320999860
They fucked up astronomically hard by not coming up for a way to have the Wi''s VC transfer over to the 3DS and Wii U
>>
>>321000312
Piracy in 3ds is possible now. But mess up and you'll brick it.
>>
>>321000152
Thank god. I suppose that means I'll still lose my saved games, though. Fuck. Well, I suppose I deserve it.
It isn't all saved to the SD card, is it? Or if it is, it won't be formatted to work on the new system, will it?
>>
>>321000507

Yeah, but is it a flash-card-only thing? I've heard that you can softmod it with CFW but that it offers no real piracy options as of yet.

How true is this?
>>
>>321000379
This. Why the fuck can't I play the Fire Emblem with Lyn and them on my 3DS? Or Super Metroid, for that matter.
>>
>>321000635

I don't thiiink so. Don't take my word for it, but if you tell Nintendo that you'd prefer to keep your save games I'm sure they'll either keep them for you, or at least warn you before they are deleted.

Just be sure to mention it when you open your ticket and keep mentioning it every time they present you with a comment box or an email-dialog. Don't let them "forget", or have your message be lost with some other department or something.

You're still their customer. You know what you want.
>>
>>320999071
>I fucking LOVE the activity log though. I know it's stupid but I enjoy looking at how much time I wasted over games, how long it took me to beat 'em and shit like that.
>Want to use homebrew/region free
>Ironfall gets all the playtime because of it.
It makes me so mad.
>>
>>321000767
Not an expert but yes, only for carts.

Then I hear that the new games has a new AP and can't play on the Sky3DS carts now.

I'd check around /vg/ or the archives for the piracy generals for more info though.
>>
>>321001273

I will. Thanks for answering anyway! I swear these threads have become a lot more civilized after Smash died down.
>>
>Criticisms?
The friend system is garbage, and folder management is poor. Multi-tasking is... not there.
>>
>>321001368
You can also follow this guy on twitter

https://twitter.com/smealum

I thank him for being able to custom my 3DS theme.
>>
Region locking is shit.
>>
>>321000312
>Like, can I actually play pirated games with it? Does it support emulation?
Yes, and yes. You need to be at 9.2 or under to even do the former though, and unless you buy a Sky3DS you can't do it on later firmware(Though wait for the new card since they're making it upgradeable with firmware now to avoid AP patches and such). You can emulate on any firmware, but you get better performance with CFW and a N3DS.

N3DS can get custom firmware, but only non-NTSC-U ones and EmuNAND only goes up to 9.5 so there's a bunch of annoying things you have to do to actually use it.
>>
>>321000952
Got it. I only really have a handful of digital games (I prefer physical), but losing the data would still suck.

You've been a big help with this. Thanks a bunch.
>>
>>321001602

Thanks for the info! I've sadly fucked myself up to version 10-point-something, so I guess I'll have to see if another exploit pops up or look into one of those cards.

Sadly, I live in Scandiland, and there aren't many mod-shops that sell those cards here. It might be time for ebay.
>>
File: 1408998937996.jpg (208 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1408998937996.jpg
208 KB, 1000x1000
First let me say that the new 3DS XL is an alright device and a huge improvement over the piece of shit that got released in 2012.

The games are good but I find the library a little bit lackluster for my tastes. I own and play way more vita than 3ds games. But this is definetly subjective and since I own a Wii U I can't even use it as a Mario machine.

When it comes to pure hardware the device is not very comfortable to hold when playing action oriented games like smash or mario kart and gives me cramps after an hour. The biggest flaw is the screen resolution. It was completely unacceptable in 2012 and it is even more unacceptable now. I also can't use it without my glasses on because at the optimal distance I can't see shit and when I get the console closer to my eyes It looks like some giant pixels having an orgy.

tl;dr: good games but shit hardware also 240p
>>
>>321001767

No worries Anon. Good luck getting your device fixed!
>>
>>321001824
>good games but shit hardware

Every single Nintendo machine since (and including) the Wii.

When will they understand that the underpowered toy with gimmicks isn't a lightning they are going to be able to make strike twice?
>>
For the quality you get (apart from a few like MH4) it costs way too fucking much for games but I know the prices will never change

Console wise 240p looks like ass, it should at least be 480p and have a better battery to compensate

Remove region locking, let us Ausfags (and europe) have the same e-shop as the rest of the world (and vice versa)

Better quality management, I don't understand why some have IPS and others have TN screens
>>
This system was my first ever 3ds, bought it 7 months ago, and the only game I bought with it was Animal Crossing new leaf. Im still playing it lots, but I feel I need more than just one game. Any suggestions? How is super mario bros 2? I likes the ds one
>>
>>321002008

The hardware really is the biggest complaint I see people raising.

And for good reason. The old PSP does better than the newest 3DS XL. And that has bumped resolution.

For me, personally, it isn't really a problem that they downgraded the hardware. For me, the problem is the feeling that they did it so that they could fill it with gyro-shit, and microphones, and cameras and touch-technology and all sorts of other shit no one wanted.

What pisses me off is how out of touch Nintendo truly are with their core handheld-fanbase.
>>
>>321001996
For handheld they should have just made the GBA more powerful then marry it off to the N-Gage and went mobile-handheld from there. They should have been cashing it now with all the mobile games today.

Well they might not have 3D or double screens but they will definitely still have touchscreens, cameras, mike and gyros today if they went that way.
>>
>>321002183

It's fun. Let's face it though, it's Mario. It isn't going to reinvent the wheel. But the wheel works, and it's still useful and in this case, fun.

I bought one game when I got it too, and I bought another one 5 months down the line. I got Fire Emblem, but I'm a huge sucker for SRPGs.
>>
>>321002183

Monster Hunter 4U, any Shin Megami Tensei game (recommend IV if you never played them before), Fire Emblem, Zelda if that's your thing

I didn't like New Leaf, loved Wild World though
>>
>>321002272
>gyro-shit, and microphones, and cameras and touch-technology and all sorts of other shit no one wanted

Every handheld today. Vita even has TWO touch inputs LMAO.
>>
>>321002775

True, but I mean, is this cool now? I just want a GBA with better hardware.

Hell the original PSP at least got that part right. If it had as much sway as Nintendo's handhelds have with developers this might have been a very different conversation.
>>
File: 1447608688152.jpg (31 KB, 286x400) Image search: [Google]
1447608688152.jpg
31 KB, 286x400
>>320998159
Nope, the biggest reason the Gameboy was succesful is simply because it was a handheld before smartphones existed. No amount of innovating will win over the smartphone audience.
>>
>>321003034

Not him, but exactly. Nintendo is competing for an audience they can't have.
>>
File: 1426669804963.jpg (35 KB, 354x318) Image search: [Google]
1426669804963.jpg
35 KB, 354x318
I actually like the 3D gimmick.
>>
>>320997059
>>I like that the 3DS is "closable", but they should have made it more ergonomic. The fact of the matter is that for newcomers this is not an easy thing to hold. Once your used to it, it gets better, but I've seen people really struggle with holding it.

HOW.
FUCKING,
DIFFICULT.
IS IT.
TO PUT YOUR LEFT HAND ON THE LEFT SIDE AND YOUR RIGHT HAND ON THE RIGHT SIDE.

LIKE HOW IS THIS EVEN A COMPLAINT.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (29 KB, 1000x526) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
29 KB, 1000x526
For some reason I get vision problems when I play with it for half an hour or so even when the 3D is turned off. I get double vision, especially visible with text and even if I close one eye. Didn´t even think this was possible, but I looked it up and it´s a thing. It eventually goes away again after a couple of hours. Doesn´t happen with any other screen.

Glad I never bought it, just played with a friends one.

>pic kinda related
>>
>>321003257

Because it's flat. It's a rectangular plant that's long and wide, and has buttons on the top-front and middle-front, as well as 4, fucking FOUR shoulder buttons.

All this combined with having to balance a second plank that sticks up from it.

Like I said, you get used to it, but I know first-year Interaction Designers who can explain to you just how retarded this is from a practical perspective.
>>
>>321003257
I think he's reffering to the thing being uncomfortable to hold until you get used to it. You're sort of wondering if you aren't doing something wrong.
>>
>>321003473

*plank
>>
File: 1448080406352.jpg (70 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1448080406352.jpg
70 KB, 320x240
>>At no point have I ever thought "Thank God this thing has a touch screen!". It's a useless gimmick that does little for gameplay and drains battery.
Some games actually make great use of the touch screen. The Etrian Odyssey series is a big one.

>>This last one's a little minor, but I am still not sold on why this thing needed two screens. It makes the entire device hard to balance and in 90% of the cases it doesn't show anything that a button-press couldn't have showed/hidden anyway.
The second screen is absolutely wonderful for maps. Again, see Etrian Odyssey. The series wouldn't even be able to work without the dual-screens and the touchscreen.

3D is a shitty gimmick, though. I hope the next handheld doesn't have it.

>>321003257
>>
>>321003034
But smartphone games are shit
>>
>>321003637
Yeah EO was the masterstroke in using the dualscreen/touchscreen functions of the DS/3DS.
>>
>>321003473
>Because it's flat
Okay, you got me there. It's flatness does it make it feel a little weird

>Buttons on middle front and top-front
Can't figure out which you are talking about specifically. Can you please name them?

>Four shoulder buttons
They took the XL shoulder buttons and cut them in half to make 4. They're not really any bigger or feel that different

>Balance the top half of the 3DS
Okay not you just sound retarded because it's not like the top part wobbles loosely and you have to hold it in place manually. It locks into two default comfortable positions.

I'm really failing to see the difficulty in holding a video game controller, especially a handheld when it's an "everything all there together" system
>>
>>321003786
That's because of indies and this weird microtransaction environment they have. But suppose it actually has some of its big players create big games for it?
>>
>>321003472
Are you sure it's all the way off? There's a threshold where you need a little extra force to lower the slider to off. I remember that was an issue for me when I first saw a 3DS in a Gamestop.
>>
>>320997059
>>At no point have I ever thought "Thank God this thing has a touch screen!". It's a useless gimmick that does little for gameplay and drains battery.
the only games i've played where i got zero use out of the touch screen are some e-shop titles, every retail game I've played has benefited from the additional controls, control schemes, etc that the 3DS has with two exceptions (Smash and Street Fighter). Then again, my other games with the most play time are Monster hunter titles and i like having the map and items easy to access, using the buttons to access them doesn't show me as much of my inventory and the map frees up the upper screen.
>>
>>321004038
Touch screen controls will never function as well as buttons
>>
>>320999071
Remove:
>3D that no one ever used

Camera and Sound options are good though. You forget how many children use it to take pictures and play their songs and shit, so I'd like to see that improved upon.
>>
>>321004041
pretty sure. That was also my first thought so I triple checked it but it still happened.
>>
>>321003637
>>>At no point have I ever thought "Thank God this thing has a touch screen!". It's a useless gimmick that does little for gameplay and drains battery.
>Some games actually make great use of the touch screen. The Etrian Odyssey series is a big one.

Honestly, I would have laughed at the Atlus developer if he came to me with the idea of making me draw out my own maps. But having played the game, holy hell does that man need a an all expense paid vacation cause that was a genius idea.

Also, the Zero Escape series incorporated the touch screen as a story element in a way that can't be replicated.

Other games like Pokemon and Monster Hunter make things super convenient for the touch screen.

So I'll be the first to say it in this thread, thank bloody God for the touch screen. I can't imagine a Nintendo handheld without it.
>>
>>321004239
Well I guess that's a problem for the traditional gamers.
>>
The touchscreen worked REALLY well for the Etrian Odyssey games, where you could draw the maps at any time in the dungeon.
That's enough reason for it to have one, at least for me.
>>
The second stick on the new 3ds is an improvement over having none but the lack of compatibility with circle pad pro is disappointing and Ye Olde Laptop Mouse Clitoris design is annoying.

The head tracking feature on the new 3ds was genius, though. I use the 3d now on everything and really enjoy it.
>>
>>320997059

tried one at the shop

the screen is absolutely hideous, I`m surprised 3DS even sells because looking at it felt like eye cancer. Also all the buttons felt like rickety shit that would break after a month.

0/10 horrible device
>>
>>321004848
I must have fucked up eyes or some weird form of epilepsy because even with the well-improved 3D and head track I still get a bad headache if I play with 3D on for too long but I feel fine if it's turned off.
>>
Honestly I mostly hope they ditch the 3D and have a way better resolution screen next time.

Otherwise I love the dual-screen touch-screen gimmicks. Folding it makes it great for fitting in your pocket and I don't have any problems holding it. I find it more ergonomic than the Vita (1000 model, anyway).
>>
>>320999361
how does a camera or mic force anything on anyone? how does the camera drain the battery unless you're actually using the camera? The only things that use the camera are the things designed around it, like faceraiders and AR "games". Aside from that the only other things i can think of mii maker, pokemon amie and flipnote, and the camera isn't needed for those either. I can't think of anything aside from face raiders

if you just want a vita you can play 3ds games on then just fucking say so
>>
>>321005518
>way better resolution screen next time

What, 240p isn't good enough for you? It's not like 1080p is standard on cell phones or anything..
>>
>>320997059

No complaints about that Gameboy tier resolution on such a huge screen?
>>
>>320997059
I actually like the lower screen. My biggest gripe is that the headphone jack isn't on one of the sides. SD card can be annoying to get out sometimes.

Real talk though, the main screen's resolution is shit and it's underpowered. Three cameras is pointless, 3D is utter shite and it should have had a second stick and better placement of start/select day 1.
>>
File: 2011-09-12-nintendont.png (218 KB, 500x1431) Image search: [Google]
2011-09-12-nintendont.png
218 KB, 500x1431
>>321006832
>>
>>321007023
>2011
??
>>
>>320997059
Sounds like you should've gotten a 2DS
>>
>>321007541
>this new
>>
>>320997059
>At no point have I ever thought "Thank God this thing has a touch screen!".
Play Kid Icarus: Uprising.
>>
>>320997059

The 3D isn't really useful. There are no games the make it worthwhile other than to say, "That's neat!" and then turn it off

I do like the touch screen though. Being able to navigate menus with a stylus and having a screen dedicated to interactive UI elements is a very nice thing.
>>
File: 2015-12-16 21.59.40.jpg (393 KB, 1611x2862) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-16 21.59.40.jpg
393 KB, 1611x2862
Currently I hate the right 2 bumpers. Outside the injury though the c stick is only used for monster hunters and would like to use it for more games.
>>
>>321009373
Sm4sh.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.