[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: B009AGXH64hardware.jpg (48 KB, 1024x665) Image search: [Google]
B009AGXH64hardware.jpg
48 KB, 1024x665
What went wrong?
>>
Terrible marketing.
>>
No games
>>
Battery-sucking iPad for a controller didn't make up for the lack of graphical horsepower. /thread
>>
>>320988448
The name.
>>
>>320988448
I'm honestly surprised people claim "Nintendo never advertises".

I saw Star Wars the other day, and it was a pre-show ad for the Wii U that lasted about 4 minutes about Splatoon and other shit. I think the reality is no one gives a fuck about Nintendo anymore.

So what went wrong? They designed a really shitty console, didn't support it well, lost third party interest, and released a bunch of games far apart where most of them sucked.

Xenoblade X is my all time biggest disappointment this year, and was the reason I held onto it too.
>>
>>320988448
Casuals got smartphones
>>
>PS4 sold 30 million

Nintenyearolds on suicide watch
>>
>>320988448
overpriced, no 3rd support, no marketing.
>>
>>320988448
>no marketing
>name
>resistive touchscreen in the current year
Otherwise, it's alright
>>
>>320988685
>>expected something from the wiiu
>> gets disappointed by the only worth thing on that trash

Proceed to kill yourself anon.
>>
>>320988448
Nintendo's core audience (casuals and children) now prefers mobile and handheld games.
>>
>>320988448
Pretty much everything in this video
https://youtu.be/X4SYeDArez4

How the fuck was you supposed to know it wasn't just a controller?
>>
>>320988448
People still think it's a Wii controller.
>>
>>320988448
It got games before the casuals precious PS4, now they are mad salty.
>>
>>320989006
Bayonetta 2 was nice. The rest were okay to bad. I only paid $60 for my Wii U anyways.
>>
No good games
>>
>>320988539
/Thread
>>
>>320989121
I think everyone is forgetting it had literally nothing to play for about 2 years. It got so bad, everyone had to get garbage like Nintendo Land.
>>
If this is a real thread and not a console war shit post fest, basically this >>320988631 which led to bad marketing. The starting lineup was okay, but kind of weak.

Nowadays the lineup is really robust and fun, the game pad is comfortable and off screen is nice. Not that I want off screen in a future console, but I'm more than happy to buy VC games on my WiiU so I can play in bed. Name is still shit.
>>
i think that the problem was the different CPU (compared to the ps4 or xb1) because that makes a lot more difficult for third party games to be developed in the console
>>
>>320989246
Nah, people got the New mario WiiU then pikmin W101 and TF. 3Dworld and Mk8 also. Mch better than bloodborne and 1 year old re-release, but if you say that the salty little sonypônies gonna start crying and can't have that
>>
>>320988539
>>320989232
They really put a lot of money into marketing though, which is why stuff like Splatoon sold.

They even made statues in the malls that squirted colored water.

People are full of shit when people claim they don't advertise it. Was it effective marketing? Judging by games sales yes, but I don't think most people care about the game themselves.

Even places like Gamestop have shrunken the Wii U section AND 3DS section, and have Wii games mixed in. Amiibos now occupy more space than either.
>>
>>320988448
Everything except games
>>
>>320989443
Across 2 years, that's fucking awful, more when you account for those games releasing months and month apart, and stuff like Pikmin 3 sucking, and Wonderful 101 being one of Platinum's worst.
>>
>>320988448
Nothing, WiiU and PS4 have the only games I enjoy
>>
Nintendo promised third parties a Wii scale success, and figured that the Wii and DS brands were so powerful they could just slap that shit on anything and people would line up around the block to buy it without any marketing.

Nintendo was completely wrong, of course, so no one bought it, third parties saw the ship sinking and jumped overboard as soon as they could, leaving the thing high-and-dry.

Nintendo also still seems really mixed up on whether or not it still wants to pander to casuals or core gamers and they're lineup is coming off as a bit schizo.

The 3DS wound up outperforming it so hard that it started siphoning off games, and things that traditionally stuck to consoles wound up going handheld instead, so the Wii U library started thinning really fast.

>>320989474
Splatoon was marketed well and sold well as a result. The Wii U itself was marketed extremely poorly. People didn't even know if it was a new console or not for the longest time. Keep in mind that the Wii's primary audience was casuals who don't pay attention to gaming news.
>>
File: 1448866159762.jpg (97 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
1448866159762.jpg
97 KB, 880x660
>>320988448
I play on PC, a WiiU is the only console I've even considered getting. But even to me it seems to be lacking in games. I mean, sure, there are many really good games, but games that are exclusive and console-sellers? That's a small number.

In my opinion:
Bayonetta 2
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Wonderful 101
MAYBE Splatoon / Mario Kart 8

That's basically it, and it's not enough for me to spend 400 bucks on.
>>
>>320988448

no wiimote
>>
>>320989474
You can say that only for a few games.
Nintendo's marketing has been always passive or straightforward shit compared to the biggest smoke seller.

Even though they have great marketing and ads here and there.

>That Kirby triple deluxe ad.
>>
>>320989681
>The Wii U itself was marketed extremely poorly.
Maybe, but I think the ignorance of it was quickly abolished after people inquired on it.

Thereès little reason people would seek to buy a game like Splatoon and not realize it was on a new platform
>>
>>320989738
>Xenoblade Chronicles X
>Wonderful 101
These suck desu
>>
>>320989474
The console name itself was the shit marketing. A lot of people thought the Wii U was just an iPad attachment to the wii. Even I thought that before I looked into it more
>>
File: 1450702837802.png (1 MB, 1337x766) Image search: [Google]
1450702837802.png
1 MB, 1337x766
>Nintendo censoring all the adult games

WE CANT LET THEM GET AWAY WITH THIS
>>
>>320989738
Xenoblade, Bayo 2, W101 are pretty great, the rest of the Wii U library is standard Nintendo stuff.
>>
>Virtual Console is garbage for no reason
>Not having unified accounts so the VC and other games are universal
>Not upscaling WIi games
>Not coming with the Pro Controller and the Game pad
>>
>>320990256
>boob slider
>outfit change
>removal of lingerie
wow, it's nothing
>>
>>320989838
By the time it started to become clear that the Wii U wasn't a Wii attachment the thing had already been around past the point when it should have sold its strongest. If Nintendo weren't being dumbasses about it they could have easily just done some rudimentary advertising just to make it clear that the thing was a console, though they could have avoided even that if they named the thing properly.

Wii U launch was fucking disaster.
>>
>>320990562
I imagine the NX will repeat this disaster, unless you think it will bounce back?
>>
>>320990256
>tfw I prefer the costumes in the "censored" version of FF

I would give my left nut for a physical release.
>>
>>320990519

And epic maymays added too. :^) Good localization treehouse.
>>
>>320990627
Depends entirely on whether or not they learned the right lessons from Wii U's failure. If they advertise it right and maybe reach out a bit to third parties then I think it will at least do better than Wii U did. I don't think they will ever replicate the Wii's success but hopefully they can stop the downward trend they're on.

If they continue to fuck up by giving things confusing names, barely advertising, and just pushing out the same old stuff at launch then they'll probably get hit pretty hard by it and frankly they'd deserve it.
>>
>>320990925
the horror
>>
File: 1399946237075.jpg (16 KB, 263x280) Image search: [Google]
1399946237075.jpg
16 KB, 263x280
The initial E3 trailer led everyone and their mother to believe that the gamepad was just an add-on for the wii

See >>320989064
>>
>>320989064
I find it funny how bullshit this ad is.
The Wii U has super inaccurate touch controls and doesn't looked nearly that crisp. The screen quality is like 3DS tier.

Whats up with Nintendo and cheap parts?
>>
>>320990519

>Removal of lingerie
>Nothing

Fuck off to Saudi Arabia bro
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.