[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just beat MGS 3 after playing the first two games, should I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
I just beat MGS 3 after playing the first two games, should I bother with the other installments?

I've heard nothing but bad things about any MGS game post-snake eater
>>
You should at least play Peace Walker if not just for the different gameplay it provides
>>
Revengence is a nice change of pace from regular Metal Gear.
>>
4 is better than people give it credit for
>>
>>320980250
no it's shit

Just skip to V and you're good
>>
Just play them all, faggot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw9AqFWaA5U
>>
You played all the best ones but you can keep going if you really want, the sequels are all at least playable

The only game after 3 I actually like is peace walker, and that's not a popular opinion.
>>
Depending what you're into Peace Walker might be worth playing. Keep in mind though that PW references certain plot points introduced in MGS4. Ditto for MGSV. MGS4 is a mess in just about every regard.

Either way you ought to go play Metal Gear 2 and Ghost Babel, though.
>>
>>320979818
This
>>
You only really need to play 4 afterwards since it concludes the story.

Everything else is basically spin-off tier and optional, ESPECIALLY PW/GZ/TPP
>>
Is metal gear solid the Star Wars of video games?
>>
>>320981318
The story is concluded better between both 2 and 3, it's better to exempt 4 than the others
>>
All of them are varying levels of good.
>>
>>320979648
4 is not bad, but the first 2/3 of the game is pretty average. The game gets interesting the last two chapters. Also, it has my favorite final boss in any game.
>>
>>320981460
Nah, you're fooling yourself if you think that.
>>
>>320981324
>3 originals are praised to fuck, considered some of the best of all time
>3 additional movies are made that overcomplicate shit that never needed to be explained, retcon the fuck out of the main villain (the protagonist's father in both cases) and make him a dindu, add shitty characters nobody likes
Huh
>>
>>320981756
I don't think he is. I agree.

Ultimately I don't blame people for wanting a game to wrap up MGS2's loose ends, but I think the series was better left alone after MGS3 and should have rebooted into a new continuity/setting entirely.
>>
4 is good. People just exaggerate its shortcomings like crazy. Same with Peace Walker, although both are definitely much worse than the first three.

V is great, its just really disappointing in the story department and doesn't offer a proper conclusion for the series.
>>
>>320982064
>4 is good. People just exaggerate its shortcomings like crazy.
I really don't think it is. V better fits that description than 4, though I don't think V is particularly great either.
>>
>>320981756
I wholeheartedly disagree.

I love the open natured ending of MGS2, I think it was a mistake to place a game after it in the timeline and it shows. The plot of MGS4 is messy.

MGS3 was the next logical step. It was difficult to move forward, so they gave some depth to big boss and set in place some building blocks to base the motivations of a couple significant characters.

4 could be passable without the post credits scene. If it ended at the gunshot, it would be coherent enough to recommend. That's not the world we live in though
>>
>>320980524
4 is a far better MGS game than V.
>>
>>320981756
No, he's completely right.

MGS2 explained everything that needed to be explained because at the end of the day it was just a character story about raiden getting over his issues and an excuse for kojima to talk about his ideas for meme theory and how the internet is going to change human society

MGS3 gives you the backstory for how the patriots exist, explains why big boss is the guy he is in metal gear 1/2 and reinforces the ideas MGS2 had about memes by showing that just like raiden learned from snake, and snake learned from big boss big boss learned from THE boss

everything in MGS4 was aimed at shiteaters that can't put together 2 + 2 and need things explained for them
>>
>>320979648
YES DO IT FAGGOT! PLAY THEM ALL AND SUFFER THE DOWNFALL OF THE METAL GEAR SERIES
>>
>>320979648
They're not outright bad games, just really divisive.
4 and V are okay, I'd say Peace Walker is the only one you could really skip unless you're a massive story nut, which you probably would be if you actually bothered to play them all.
>>
>>320982292
>>320982292

This.

>>320979648

All that said, just play MGS4 because why not; form your own opinion from your own experience derived from it. Plus it allows you to play MGR which is a damn good game.
>>
>>320979648
Fuck no.
>>
You notice the only people discounting MGS4 are the ones who want their headcanon to be legit.

Just play the game OP, its the last real MGS
>>
>>320986000
The gameplay is terrible. The actual writing and presentation are all awful. I'm one of the mind that the story should have been abandoned after MGS3, but even on its own terms MGS4 is frequently kind of shit.
>>
>>320982290
No it's not. MGS 4 is a fucking movie-- just watch it on youtube
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.