[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It isn't a bad game, to be honest.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
File: gone home title square.png (483 KB, 514x514) Image search: [Google]
gone home title square.png
483 KB, 514x514
It isn't a bad game, to be honest.
>>
>>320863461
Yeah. It's just very, very overrated.
>>
It's not a game.

But is it a cute little way to tell an alright story? Yes.
>>
Not a game.
>>
it's not a game
>>
>>320863461
If you're a redditor then sure it isn't :^)
>>
>>320863752
>>320863794
>>320863823
Nice meme you got from /v/ there but I think most authorities on the subject would disagree with you there. There's really no reason to play gatekeeper here.
>>
>>320863895
haha :^)
>>
>>320863461
There's nothing wrong with it, /v/ just hates it because the you know whos like it so much.

Also it's just as much a "game" as Monkey Island and all those other point and click adventure "games" were back in the day.
>>
>>320863949
I don't know what "authority" you think you have but I was defending it, shitdick.
>>
>>320863461
Walking simulators aren't games, anon.
>>
>>320864148
I don't care about your opinion on the game.
>>
>>320863949
>I think most authorities on the subject
That's called an appeal to authority logical fallacy and shouldn't be used. It undermines rational discussion and debate.
>>
>>320863949
Appeal to authority is actually a logical fallacy.
That being said it hardly has the level of interactivity that I would normally associate with a gameplay experience and thus I'm inclined to dismiss it out of hand from qualifying as a proper video game.

Is the story competent? Sure, maybe. Does that mean it should have it's dick sucked as the narrative of the century because it's progressive? No.
>>
>>320864235
Then you have no right to comment on it.
>>
>>320863461
>game
>>
>>320863461

It's not a bad game, it's just a bad Gone Home game.
>>
>>320863461
It's not a game
>>
File: usrs.gif (1 MB, 288x198) Image search: [Google]
usrs.gif
1 MB, 288x198
>>320863949
>I think most authorities on the subject would disagree with you there
>most authorities on the subject
>authorities
>>
>>320863949
>game
>authority
Kill yourself my man
>>
>>320864270
So does repeating meme definitions, so that was really a lost cause from the beginning.

Anyway, read some Huizinga and Caillois.
>>
>>320864642
>So does repeating meme definitions
>meme definitions
You're a special kind of stupid.
>>
It's a bad game, if you want any kind of challenge.
It's a bad interactive story, if you want any kind of interesting story.

If this game had been about a guy who dated a girl nobody would care. But it's about lesbians so it's automatically deep and profound.
>>
It's a game

No matter how you spin the definition or make arbitrary rules
>>
I expected the sister and the pink haired girl's bodies to be in the attic.

When the final tape played I was disappointed

This doesn't deserve the praise it gets, it's just a cool little experiment in storytelling, but doesn't offer up a good "game" experience.
>>
>>320864801
Ironically it's not the first story about lesbians. Or first video game about lesbians. Or first serious video game story about it.
>>
>>320863461
You're right, it's not a bad game.
However that's because it isn't a game. It isn't even trying to be one.
>>
>>320864706
It is a meme definition. Bring up Gone Home and people spam "not a game" without even thinking about it. If pressed they can probably give some justification like "a game needs a fail state" which is obviously untenable rubbish due to the many games that lack this condition. Then they usually try to wiggle their way around what a "fail state" exactly entails, or shut down the discussion by saying it's not their definition that's wrong, everyone else has just been wrong all along about all those games that apparently weren't games.
>>
>>320865426
What about Gone Home is a "game" to you?

I'm curious.
>>
>>320865426
Oh. Right, sorry I had gotten the wrong end of the stick about what you were calling a meme definition. I'm a tard.
>>
Why do people think this is an original way of storytelling again? Audiologs and scattered diary entries have existed for decades. 90% of the story is just some spoiled dyke fawning over some punk girl.
>>
File: 1384283503817.png (33 KB, 661x448) Image search: [Google]
1384283503817.png
33 KB, 661x448
>>320865701
Because many of the people praising it are new to gaming. All they see is that it's vastly different from Halo, CoD, Street Fighter, WoW, etc, and then they start saying it's totally original so they can feel like trendsetters and better people.
>>
>>320863461
It isn't a game, to be honest.
It might be good interactive fiction, or whatever the hell, but it's not really a "game". Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>320865552
It's a playful activity governed by rules, separate from real life, requiring the player's input, undertaken for its own sake, and essentially make believe.
>>
>>320863752
>>320863794
>>320863823
autism
>>
>>320865701
It's funny because the devs were upfront about taking inspiration from System Shock (which, if you turn it to lowest difficulty, basically becomes a walking simulator). I guess the people who say that about GH aren't familiar enough with that to understand what they were talking about.
>>
>>320866970
I didn't know that but Gone Home does seem like the logical conclusion of a certain play style taken to its logical extreme. Games like this were inevitable, really.

I do know that another common point of criticism, the ability to essentially bypass the entire game, was also intentionally done in homage to sequence breaking in older games.
>>
>>320863949
People like this must be shot in the back of the head and thrown into the sea.
>>
>>320868253
Always love to hear something like that from /v/ because it means I'm probably right.
>>
Oh, it's a bad game. There's little about GH that can be considered sincerely game-like. However, as an exercise in environmental storytelling it does have some merit. I do like how the story is mostly told through the surroundings and notes, and I do like having to piece together all the narrative strings through deduction. However, I don't like that they decided to not only voice Sam's narrative thread, but that it was emphasized as the main story when all the other characters were more interesting. I liked GH's storytelling execution more than the story it was telling, and I would like to see more games approach story with this method in mind. And it even had a great audio-visual aesthetic to boot. But despite all this, there's little reason to try and call GH a honest game over an interactive house exploration simulator.
>>
>>320863461
It's not a game
>>
>>320866439
>It's a playful activity
Go on.
>governed by rules
Which ones?
>>
>>320863949
Most of your "authorities" are paid shills that have to sprinkle complements and a slap number greater than 7 on a game even if they think it's a festering pile of shit.

Name one big-name AAA title that has been released in the last three years that doesn't have at least an 80 on Metacritic. Oh right, you can't.
>>
>>320864450
Underrated post
>>
>>320869082

Not him but

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/remember-me
>>
>>320868975
Press forward to go forward, you can't pass through walls, there's a whole physics simulation in there I think? Stuff like that.
>>
It's like an interactive e-storybook, to be honest
>>
>>320869082
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/thief
>>
>>320868459

This guy gets it.
>>
>>320869082
I did actually mention Huizinga and Caillois, but anyway, your argument doesn't even make sense. So what if they're paid shills that will slap a 7 on any game, if Gone Home were not a game?
>>
Its an alright walking simulator. 4/10 simulator 0/10 "game" Was disappointed the girl who ran away didnt hang herself in the attic. Totally thought that was going to happen.

The vanishing of ethan Carter was so much better.
>>
>>320863461
is this really happening again?
>>
>>320866439
Like reading a book or watching a movie?
Granted, the activities are "turn pages" and "watch screen, absorb information" in those examples.

Also, appeal to authority is a fallacy. I don't care if it's 9/10 according to """"critics"""", they're (mostly) sellouts.
>>
File: among.jpg (543 KB, 1920x1072) Image search: [Google]
among.jpg
543 KB, 1920x1072
>>320869874
In addition, among the sleep had a similar set up was was both artistically and story wise better.
>>
>>320870537
>Like reading a book or watching a movie?
No, because those aren't playful activities governed by rules, separate from real life and requiring the player's input.
>>
>>320870937
Well that's literally all you do in gone home.
>>
>>320871534
In the game.
>>
>>320871692
Tentative.

I keep asking what makes it a game.
>>
>>320871808
The things I just said.
>>
>>320871534
Exploring a house is reading and watching movies?
>>
>>320863461
By definition it is a bad game, since it isn't one. However given that it isn't a game, I don't think it should be judged as one.
It should be judged as, I don't know, an interactive art installation or something. Not necessarily a good one, but still.
>>
Where can i torrent this Gone Home? I can't find it anywhere
>>
>>320872154
literally on piratebay
>>
File: 1446941918469.png (267 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1446941918469.png
267 KB, 900x900
I liked that it took place in the 80's and had a nod to Minerva's Den. Other than that, nah fuck it.
>>
I used it to unfuck my fingers from years of console peasentry so I could play PC games. That's about it.
>>
File: cute snail.jpg (18 KB, 224x208) Image search: [Google]
cute snail.jpg
18 KB, 224x208
I think its very overrated, and I can understand the hate it gets. Personally it's my 3rd favorite game ive ever played thus far, but I dont treat it like the second coming of jesus. It just pushes every single one of my buttons. Buttons that not everybody is gonna have.
>>
>>320871808
I think I see the confusion. But doing things as part of a game is different from doing them in real life. Shooting people in the face also isn't a game. Shooting people in the face in Quake is.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.