[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You see this guy swinging a toolbox and chasing a harmless animal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 15
File: Generic_assistant.png (16 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Generic_assistant.png
16 KB, 480x480
You see this guy swinging a toolbox and chasing a harmless animal while screaming "MUH VALIDS!"
What do you do?
>>
Adminhelp, because nothing ever shall be resolved by the crew

I fucking hate this game, it's either "Fagmin: Why did you hack that one door? No, stop playing and start explaining for the next 15 minutes" or grief servers where it's just kill whoever and kill them again when they respawn and everyone is traitors.

Why can't it be that ONLY murder is adminhelped? And the rest of the shit should always be taken care of by the crew.
>>
>>320819663
/vg/ server seems to be the only good place, I've heard good things about /tg/ but they allow ERP which is fucking stupid in this game anyway. Also nobody seems to have any of the shit the /vg/ serb has
>>
>>320819779
Nah, if you were to hit someone or punch the captain and steal his ID you will get an admin on your ass.
>>
>>320819902

If you punch anyone, so long as it's not for "LOL ITS JUST A GAME BRO XDD" like hell that happens.

If your character gets pissed IC and punches a faggot, admins let security handle it, unless you're a known and repeat across-round shitter.
>>
>>320819987

>Everyone keeps random names off
>Everyone starts recognising everyone because nothing changes
>Proceed with circlejerking and admin butt buddies

Nah
The main problem though with /vg/ is how literally nobody wants to play the game.
Like, y'know, how SS13 is like Cluedo?
Nah, let's autismfort and smoke weed erryday bro, let people who actually pick MoMMI do everything for us including security.

Suggest /vg/ help themselves they'll chimp out like fuck.
>>
>>320820081

Oh you're one of those faggots, yeah go play on paradise autismo. They'll love you.
>>
>>320820135

>SS13 is like Cluedo
>/vg/ treats it like RP fan fiction
>go to <x server that RPs fan fiction>

what
>>
>>320820135
Are you retarded
>>
>>320819779
/vg/ is awful, and in terms of admins and playerbase TG is no better.
>>
>>320819228
baton, cuff and then peperspray his ass
>>
File: 1443319979199.gif (533 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
1443319979199.gif
533 KB, 500x275
>be borer
>first time slug
>in vents
>see people in medbay lobby
>pop out, don't know it i can talk to people
>miner kills me with drill
>oh
>die
>everyone ignores my dead body
why
>>
/vg/ and /tg/ are both just a nest of badmins and circlejerking
I just want a server where I don't have an easily offended god on my ass
>>
>>320819228
let him be, animals are valid
>>
>>320820081

Players are bad, but the gameplay is equally as bad for enabling them. And the coders are the absolute worst for not doing the right jobs as needed (because players chimp out if you dare touch existing "gameplay")

>Botanist/Chef/Bartender are 3 separate roles when they all facilitate feeding the crew, despite hunger being all kinds of lame and pointless
>Science, Virologist, Geneticist, Toxins, Archeologist, Robotocist all overlapping when RD could be given an ID terminal to assign people personally to departments including multiple
>Science in general
>Combat makes security very unfun as long as knocking people down also completely disables all action for some reason
>Round critical roles not getting picked because people don't want to take shit from other people sperging out at the designated authority when getting anyone to co-operate is near impossible, but otherwise they enact the exact same fucking role as the one you picked so gameplay won't auto-upgrade them to allow essential crew situations to be resolved.
>Assistant period.
>Janitor, HoP, Cargo, Quartermaster all overlapping with a lame economy system to boot
>No crew objectives besides automatic script break when traitors = 0, including retard wizard suiciding with a bad blink
>Assistants.

It just keeps giving.
>>
>/vg/
>geneticist
>discover hulk
>go around the station offering hulk to people
>suddenly the computer turns off, the power cell magically vanished
>don't say a thing, just call an engineer to fix it
>start working again
>suddenly all my buffers are magically erased
>that's fine, I had saved a disk just in case
>suddenly disk vanishes and power goes out again just in my section

And when I complain? "You shouldn't just offer hulk to anyone" IF IT'S BAD, WHY NOT HAVE SECURITY DEAL WITH IT? WHY NOT HAVE ME DEMOTED? But noo, let's fuck with those outside our ring of bff, because we can spawn aliens and shit to make the round "more interesting" and it doesn't matter if some people die in the process, but god forbid a player doing what he can to make things interesting without hurting shit.

And that's when I stopped playing for good.
>>
>>320821315

Geneticist having any role besides cloning to is total bullshit let's be honest.
Remove soft sci-fi bullshit that breaks gameplay in half and instead make it so he's in charge of producing and storing clone bodies to transplant VIPs into, or giving people fake IDs so you wind up with a double Captain Kirk scenario. Cloning takes much longer to complete compared to the resurrection-in-a-can current method so doctors actually have to try.

MY VERY OWN CLONE!
>>
>Be crazy priest
>Pray to my god that it would turn me into the creature of the night so that I can hunt down my enemies
>Becomes a cat
>Help chef to kill the mice
>>
ONE DAY, WHILE ANDY WAS MASTURBATING
>>
>>320821818

"Welcome another episode of...

Good Admin,
Bad Admin"
>>
File: 1448428550232.gif (2 MB, 320x193) Image search: [Google]
1448428550232.gif
2 MB, 320x193
>>320819663
>mfw people unironically play on /vg/
>people don't play on goon
>people actually adminhelp shit instead of dealing with anything ingame

You're literally a cuck if you adminhelp everytime someone bonks you or kills you
>>
>>320819663

>Be HoS
>Order detainment and then prosecution later
>Fucking Captain stomps in and murders
>Security are doing nothing but drinking at bar or releasing people before they are processed/in perma
>BWOINK
>>
>*bwoink*
What did you do? Did you deserve the punishment?
>>
>>320822606
No it's some faggot adminhelping me because HELP BEING GRIFF IN ARRIVALS HELP
>>
>>320820835
>tasers just drop you stone cold, no questions the combat and fun stops once you get hit
>security can be antagonists instead of being an established authority which leads to greytides, paranoia and general distrust of security in every round
>secborgs nothing else to say here

I could write a book on all the problems of /vg/ but it's been a long time since I played there and I don't know what has changed or what hasn't. Also staticnamers that try to create a cult of personality are pure cancer.
>>
>>320819228
Stunglove, weld, space.
>>
>>320822603
>>320822606

Bwoinkmind

>>320822729

Another problem with admins is how BYOND is unwieldy as fuck, and coders could have figured out a way to log everything server side to allow admins to run a second program to monitor that shit.

But nope, gotta have EVERYTHING in chat, like a fucking twitch stream chat and everything going a million miles an hour.
>>
>>320822917
>Another problem with admins is how BYOND is unwieldy as fuck, and coders could have figured out a way to log everything server side to allow admins to run a second program to monitor that shit.
But that's how it works right now. We have the black box recorded that records every interaction and such done by players in a round.

Admin helps are sent to IRC as well.
>>
File: kevin.png (1008 KB, 1262x700) Image search: [Google]
kevin.png
1008 KB, 1262x700
>be scientist
>some guy -possible syndie assassin or greytider- attacks me out of nowhere
>kick his shit down with my science tools
>some people walk by and see me bashing some guy, blood everywhere
>get arrested and the greyshit gets dragged to medbay where he's recovered
>get sentenced to perma
>mfw getting assfucked by the syndie clown in the showers
>>
>>320822754
Stungloves are gone.
>>
File: 1368518070167.png (24 KB, 600x637) Image search: [Google]
1368518070167.png
24 KB, 600x637
>>320822994
fucking WHY
>>
>>320822974

Well the other problem then is how it doesn't link back in but if /vg/ has that then there's no fucking excuse.

Oh wait, they have one. They want to "play" SS13 too. Like a DM playing a tabletop game and wanting to play as part of the party too.
>>
>>320823036
Because you can now make improvised stun prods instead. And spears. And IEDS. And explosive lances. And improvised air cannons.
>>
>>320822405
>banned from goon
>Reason: "im being raped in the garden" fuck off creep
>>
>>320823037
If you hate griff and such so much, why not play on a heavy RP server?
>>
>>320823068
>not just switching over to disarm and tasing a faggot hands-free
That shit has saved my ass so many times.
>>
File: admin event.gif (302 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
admin event.gif
302 KB, 360x240
Because when an admin griefs, it's called an event
>>
>>320823092

Because they're RP with the G.
I want tabletop SS13 man. Or ION to be good.
>inb4 hurr durr Rocket memes
>>
>>320823228

*without the G, FUCK
>>
>>320823069
>goon bans you for being an unfunny faggot

good
>>
>>320823228
>RP without the G
>SS13
Hue
>>
>>320823337
Did I tingle your clitoris, fatty?
>>
>>320823228

>Turn based SS13

That actually would be pretty neat, at least combat and subterfuge would be a lot better and mostly meta free.
>Failing spot checks in maintenance but you know SOMETHING is there fuckfuckfuckfuck
>Security can enact things like blockading departments or put down alarms and actually respond in decent timing
>Players get more time to think/RP instead of mashing disarm and push.
>>
>>320823520
Nah nigga fuck that how about SS13
On the Doom engine.
>>
File: 1387734120698.gif (798 KB, 600x505) Image search: [Google]
1387734120698.gif
798 KB, 600x505
>5 minutes in the shift
>cleaning up the floors, that's what I do...

>15 minutes in
>hear something about invaders via the radio
>none of my business...
>I'm just a simple janitor... just clean up the floors, pick up the trash, and it's all going to be fine...

>25 minutes in
>singularity is loose
>people are dying
>plasma fires roaring in the hallways, turning people into dust
>shuttle is not yet called because all the heads are dead
>just stick with the cans... go check that dried vomit in the bar... I'm just doing my job...

>30 minutes in
>run for my life
>hide in the shadows as nightmarish creatures float pass me
>walk over mangled bodies of my friends
>wipe my feet so that I won't leave any bloody footprints that could lead to my direction
>loot armory, or at least what's left of it
>run to the shuttle while blindly blasting hundreds of rounds in the darkness
>I AM JANITOR, THE WARRIOR OF THE STATION

>32 minutes in
>killed 3 xenos, 5 survivalist assistants, 10 blob zombies, 2 nuclear agents, uncountable amount of carps, and handful of god knows what
>sitting in the shuttle with handful of survivors, all armed to teeth
>singularity tears out the shuttle, eating half of the survivors
>run to the shuttle cargo holder and wait it out
>finally arrive to centcom, health flashing red
>get killed by deathsquad
>>
File: 1450581845614.png (463 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1450581845614.png
463 KB, 1280x800
>>320823648
There's a guy working on it
>>
>>320823520
>step by step room clearing playing with a team of sec and a group of antagonists

mite b cool
>>
>>320823720
oh shit, yeah.
>>
>>320823720

WOAAAAAAAAAH
THANK YOU ANON HOLY SHIT
>picture in picture for syndie spy drones and shit
>>
File: SS13.jpg (85 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
SS13.jpg
85 KB, 800x600
This game sounds good on paper with all the amazing things you can do(space drugs, urban surgery, keeping people hostage, making weapons or just chilling in a bar getting drunk), but in practice is sucks.

>Rounds take too long and usually nothing interesting happens.
>You don't need chefs and anyone at cargo department at all.
>Servers are either too strict(ADMIN: Why did you loot that guy?) or the other way around (OOC:Why are there explosives on the bridge the fuck)
>Made on a shitty engine that can only recognise one command at a time.
>Combat boils down to target head with the best weapon.
>Very and I mean VERY bad HUD.

Mostly I just go to /tg/ to read funny greentexts and cry that I never get to do anything interesting. When will we get a game like SS13 but 3D, faster and on a better engine.
>>
>>320823720

>2012
>>
>>320823826
>goonstation finally gets an rp server
>actually held the medbay hostage
>alien negotiator in a suit trying to calm me down
>ends up with the detective breaking out of his cuffs and shooting me, detonating my bomb and killing all the hostages
>>
Lifeweb
>>
>>320819779
/tg/ Hasn't allowed ERP for over a year now, have they?
>>
>>320823939
I quit playing half a year ago(I didn't play much like 2 months)

Is it worth getting back to?
>>
>>320823720

Source? Can't seem to find anything but someone trying to make it in GameMaker for some reason.
And the typical "SS13 is very hard, very complex" when it's really not, it's mostly drama and shit code.
>>
>>320824061
It's up to you. I'm burned the fuck out on ss13 but I still keep playing it everyday
>>
>>320823826
The shit that is the BYOND engine is part of the game's appeal.
>>320824061
/vg/station is just getting ready to roll out a new map, and most jobs haven't changed at all.
>>
>>320823939
Sounds like a great candidate for NT's Death Squad.
>>
>>320824101
The ss13g on /vg/.
>>
>>320824201

Even googling I just get a brief mention in the OP, that wasn't much help.
>>
>>320824297

Nvm, that thread includes mentions of it but it is pretty all over the place.

>>>/vg/125830085

>Yesterday
>>
File: shuttle_2.png (1 MB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
shuttle_2.png
1 MB, 1280x800
>>320824101
Hello, anon.

>>320823909
That was back when the multiplayer source ports didn't support the shit I needed to make it work. They do now.
>>
>>320824702

You toned down the run speed... right?
Is it fixed viewing angle or is up/down pitching good? Wondering about limb aiming.
>>
>>320824810
The run speed has been tweaked, yes. Most of the default player statistics have. There's freelook as well. Currently intent and limb selection are both cycled through with hotkeys, although I'm planning to look into how other WADs do hitboxes and use that for limbs later on.

It should be specified that the entire lower half of the HUD is currently non-functional because I'm focusing on getting game and round mechanics working before polishing it.
>>
>>320824702
How long until you give up?
>>
File: titlescreen.png (146 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
titlescreen.png
146 KB, 1024x768
>>320824967
Undefined. Giving up is for casuals.
>>
File: 1446496870312.jpg (27 KB, 550x498) Image search: [Google]
1446496870312.jpg
27 KB, 550x498
>xenoarchaeology
>>
>>320819228

Ignore and carry on with growing the station's biggest watermelon. When the shuttle inevitably comes. sneak as many of those fuckers to the escape pod out as possible.
>>
>>320825035
That's the spirit. Also will there be pop-ups like in the original SS13?
>>
>>320819779

/tg/ was stable last I checked, but that was half a year ago. Has it degenerated since?
>>
>>320825047
abusing the code's rng to get shit like guns and katanas
>>
>>320824910

As a wanna be amateur game dev I really really really wanna help out right now... but unfortunately I'm on last year of uni and I'm already falling apart in terms of time management.

I mean fuck, I'm supposed to be making a 3rd person beat em up prototype right now but waiting on lunch.

I think when it comes to limb damage, with ranged it should be dice roll based for legs, for torso/arms and head/eyes, so you can keep each actor to 3 hitboxes (+ 1 back for jetpacks etc).

With melee you may be able to do the same but allow manual targeting to seriously increase the odds in favour of your intended result, guaranteed if the target is lying down for medical purposes.
>>
>>320825091
You mean interface popups? It's a possibility, but for now most of the interfaces are implemented through keyboard controls since it's simpler to test. Mouse navigation is possible but requires extra work which I'd rather delay to keep progress flowing.
>>
>>320825209
It's simple enough to do that as a fallback if it's required. It's manual at the moment because it makes debugging simpler.
>>
File: 1368017584103.jpg (137 KB, 520x500) Image search: [Google]
1368017584103.jpg
137 KB, 520x500
What's a "supermatter shard"?
>>
>>320825307

Thankfully with how Doom did it we should have even more ways of reducing text clutter like BYOND wound up doing.

Text-to-speech could be pretty interesting, would you have it as on-screen subtitles and have department radio be personal TTS, or would you have local chatter be TTS and departments silent? What about impersonation? Hmm.

At the very least local TTS could help in a blackout situation.
>>
>>320825227
Is there a prototype that we can download?
Also will we be able to do surgery or destroy blocks?
>>
>>320823069
>raping in ss13

congrats you did like the only thing that is considered cancersome enough to warrant a permaban
>>
>>320825937

This is a big sort of problem considering how static a number of Doom maps were pretty static at least compared to Duke3D. At the very least it could be probable using standard billboards with no rotation applied to them, so they appear static like the geometry.
>>
File: 1420913916971.gif (734 KB, 255x144) Image search: [Google]
1420913916971.gif
734 KB, 255x144
>/tg/ station
>admins literally use Rule 0 to permaban players they don't like

I don't know how people even plays this shit anymore
>>
>>320825807
Whoa there, slow down, anon. TTS isn't exactly integrated in the Doom engine and it'd take more than just game data work to get something like that working. There are also some hard-coded constraints to the chat system which I'm trying to work around.

I'm adding things that Doom natively supports first because they can easily be tested to see if they're stable. After that, I'm either gonna get in touch with the source port developers to see if they can help, or take a look at the low-level source port code myself and see if it can be forked. The former is more likely, but I've had offers from other coders to look into the engine details, so who knows.
>>
>>320826107

So, /tg/ station has gone to the shitter. You can always try d20 Station, which is the new /tg/ station controlled by /tg/.
>>
>>320825937
>>320826082
I'm planning on doing the first construction/destruction tests today using a small sandbox map, so I'll post results later once I have something working or not.

Surgery is kind of pointless at the moment since the medical system hasn't been implemented beyond basic damage counters and a couple of different conditions. (crit/dying, stun, disarming, alcohol, space drugs, mindbreaker)

Maybe later.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.