[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FoV
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
File: FoV.png (167 KB, 531x766) Image search: [Google]
FoV.png
167 KB, 531x766
What is an acceptable FoV for you in a First/Third person game?
>>
At least 90.
'tis a fact.
>>
>>
>>320767030

Anyone who says X number plain and simple doesn't know what FOV really is. How far away are you? How big is your screen? These are questions you also have to ask to get the actual desired FOV perfect for your situation
>>
90 but if I'm able, I'll use 120.
>>
>>320767030

I personally Try to sit at 105-110 personally, but 90 is acceptable.
>>
I get motion sick pretty easily so I try to get that shit as high as I can

110 is usually my minimum
>>
Somewhere between 90 and 110, depending on the game
>>
>>320767030

Horrible grammar, but he isn't wrong.
>>
>>
>>320768267

How do you figure?
>>
>>320767030
For some games like FPS puzzles 80-85 can be okay, but I'd say that the usual minimum SHOULD be 90.
>>
>>320768505

Read it first then think for yourself. If most people don't need something, it's hard to justify adding a feature no matter how simple it may be.
>>
>>320768847

I have my opinion on the matter, I was simply curious of yours.
>>
>>320768267
But my small screen has a better resolution and refresh rate than those dank meme TVs and runs it better than those consoles.
>>
>>320767030
90 is the minimum. I prefer playing with 100 fov. My screen isn't big enough to display without fisheye more than 110.
>>
i play at 110 hor+ (124.59 hfov otherwise)
>>
>>320767030
90-120 depending on game
>>
>>320768267
he's wrong in the sense that it's literally two integers you need to change in your pc port to have a higher default fov
>>
unless you have an ultrawide or a shitty multimonitor set up, 80 or 90 is ideal, anything greater and you get a shitty fisheye view.
>>
>>320767030
For an FPS anything from 65-90 is acceptable. 90 in a lot of games lately feels too far out.
>>
>>320767030

idk, like 20?
>>
>>320771765
>shitty fisheye view
it's called peripheral vision
i already know what you're going to say so don't bother replying.
>>
85-90

Console FOV looks like you're walking around with binoculars
>>
>>320767030
It depends, games not made with the ideal 16:9 FOV tend to have weird shit happen if you force the FOV higher than the default.

I really liked Skyrim with about 70 or 80 FOV, I forget which, but first person arms would have clipping issues so I put it back.

FOVs hitting around 100 tend to look fucking retarded in some games.

It's a case by case thing but tend to stick with the default because I don't care about it enough to tolerate clipping and weird glitches to set it hiher.
>>
>>320767030
Isn't that wrong though? Having a big screen or bigger resolution would generally benefit from a higher FoV, not lower. The reason why console players are satisfied with a lower FoV isn't because their screens are often bigger, it's because they sit further away from it.

In other words, "small screens at mediocore resolution" are not the only ones that would benefit from a higher FoV at a closer distance.
>>
>>320771883
It's called needlessly distorting your graphics if you don't have the screen width to support it, what's the point of having a gaming quality pc if you are just going to fuck up the best part of playing on pc.
>>
>>320767030
90 is the sweet spot. Everyone knows this.
>>
Anything below 90 on a PC game and I get terrible motion sickness. 120 is the best though.
>>
>>320767030
Low enough that there isn't fish eye, high enough that it doesn't look like I'm staring down a tunnel.

I'm more sensitive to low FoV in 3rd person games, surprisingly. Even though usually it's considered less of a factor there. It really bothers me.
>>
>>320772570
>not using at least 100 and zooming to <70 for tracking
grow up
>>
Who fucking cares? Just let each individual pick whatever FOV they want.

This is like arguing if a game is meant to be played at a certain brightness, or a certain controller, or with/without subtitles. There's no "industry standard" the consumer is supposed to have some freedoms here
>>
>>320772273
>graphics the best part of playing on pc
wow this is an even worse reply than the one i expected
>>
105 for 4:3

i don't know what that is in 16:9 because they never even give you the option anymore
>>
>>320768847
You justify it by giving your customers options for whatever shit game they just bought from you.

Wow hard as fuck.
>>
90 for baseline single player FPS games.

120 at most for competitive games.
>>
Anything less than 90 and I get headaches.

>>320771965
>I really liked Skyrim with about 70 or 80 FOV, I forget which, but first person arms would have clipping issues so I put it back.

You can fix the arms. Skyrim actually has two parameters for FOV: fdefaultWorldFOV and fdefault1stPersonFOV. What fucks up the arms is when you change 1stPersonFOV. You can change WorldFOV to whatever you want and your arms will look the same if you leave 1stPersonFOV alone. I recommend using the Customizable Camera mod. It has a setting to change the FOV that won't fuck up the arms.
>>
>>320774028
that's like 120 if it's not based on 4:3 and widened correctly for aspect ratio
>>
>>320767030
FoV was lowered from the STANDARD 90 back in Quake days to 60 or LOWER to increase frame rate for games with higher graphics, not because of binocular effect or anything like that.
>>
>>320767664
Setting the FOV by how much the screen covers of your actual field of vision has never been standard. Everyone is aware of the issues of linear projection, they just don't want to be completely crippled by "perfect" FOV.
>>
>>320767708
120 is cheating
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.