[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gameplay > Written Narrative
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: index.jpg (5 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5 KB, 160x160
Here's a proof that gameplay is the prime method of storytelling. This dog has more character than Nameless One, protag of the much lauded Planescape Torment. Gameplay fleshed him out.
>>
woof
>>
>>320742106
woof!
>>
File: 1450533724198.png (268 KB, 473x340) Image search: [Google]
1450533724198.png
268 KB, 473x340
>>320741968

Remember that if you use the buzzword "gameplay" and think games don't need story or characterization, you are no better than that bitch next to you in the train that plays Candy Crush.
>>
>>320744043
Gameplay is storytelling. Interaction is characterization. Pick up the can rather than waste time writing dialogue prompts.
>>
>>320741968
>"Here's (a [you dumbtard]) proof"
>posts a claim, suspiciously devoid of anything resembling proof.

The crowning flaw in your argument is that the narration IS the largest part of the gameplay in PS:T. So even if your post and claim WEREN´T shit, you would still have defeated yourself with it.
>>
>>320744439
It's not my fault you have not played Ghost Trick.

What, am I supposed to lower the bar for discussion so you can peek in?

1. [INT 4] Yes.
2. No anon. I realize my mistake and will attempt to post more coherent thoughts in the future. (Lie)
3. Narration in Planescape Torment is great [CHA 10] (Skip gameplay).
4. No anon. The bar for discussion is already low thanks to you! (Fight)
5. (Chaotic Neutral) *stabs journal with spork*
6. I'm gone.
>>
File: would take a bullet for you.png (227 KB, 900x824) Image search: [Google]
would take a bullet for you.png
227 KB, 900x824
>>320741968
bark
>>
Missile a best.
Post more Missile
>>
>>320744043
Source? Crop images don't search well.
>>
>>320745803
*unsheathes paw*
>>
File: 1428246982129.gif (415 KB, 426x309) Image search: [Google]
1428246982129.gif
415 KB, 426x309
best guard
>>
>>320744043
They don't need either.
They can make a game better but without good gameplay underneath that works with those elements it's pointless filler, like a themed monopoly board.
>>
File: nierpachidaioujou.webm (2 MB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
nierpachidaioujou.webm
2 MB, 640x512
>>320746517
But anon, think about all the advantages dialogue prompt would bring to this sequence! Don't you want a pop up to explain to you what's happening?
>>
>>320741968
People that think Torment lacks good gameplay are children that think combat is the only form of gameplay.
>>
>>320746906
In video games it is, that's why they are called video games.

Game stands for gameplay.

Torment has the gameplay of a choose your adventure book.
>>
Ghost Trick's gameplay is pretty awful most of the time. Besides, most of what we find out about Missile is in text outside (or during) gameplay segments, not part of the gameplay segments. You've chosen a weak example for your argument.

Missile's a cute character and the twist is moderately amusing but the story isn't anything to write home about either, although it's very well-presented.
>>
>>320741968
But that's mostly because of the twist at the very end that adds a fuckton of depth to the character. Without that he would've been an above-average character at best.

I love Ghost Trick as much as the next guy, but I don't think it's a great as you think.
>>
>>
>>320749705
Not true at all, ever since the introduction game makes you care for him AND fleshes out his traits through pure gameplay and player observation.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.