[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yoshida: PS2 games on PS4 cost $15 because trophies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: srUkBoR.png (41 KB, 800x293) Image search: [Google]
srUkBoR.png
41 KB, 800x293
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-exec-defends-ps2-on-ps4-price-points/1100-6433256/

>He said on a recent PlayStation Nation podcast that the emulation technology (which can get the PS2 games running at 1080p/60 FPS) as well as the implementation for PS4 features like Trophies and Share functionality, doesn't necessarily come cheap. There also also licensing and quality assurance costs.

>"We are also able to add Trophies; some people really care about Trophies," he said. "So we can provide that. And it takes some time for our staff and QA and licensing and everything to bring back these games. So it takes us time and cost. So we felt that we should charge."

>Yoshida went on to say that of course the PS2-to-PS4 emulation technology cannot bring classic games up to the graphical standards of contemporary counterparts. But the improvements are good enough so that you can play a 20-40 hour role-playing game and not grow tired of the experience, he said.

Why did they do this, /v/?
>>
Either way looks like I'll now be able to play Persona 4
>>
>>320735861
What you put in the subject is not what the text you're quoting says.

PS2 emu on PS4 requires dev time and bugfixes on a per-title basis, of fucking course they're going to charge you idiot.
>>
>>320735974
but you could play persona 4 for free on PC using the emulator, which makes it look way better.

I've never had a single problem on any game. I'm currently playing Star Ocean 3 while I post this, not a single issue, not a single dollar spent.
>>
>>320735861
>paying for ROMs
IT'S OKAY WHEN SONY DOES IT!
>>
>>320736187
If you make the game looks better there will be bugs. Using PCSX2 in hardware mode makes the shadows and some lighting effects not appear for some reason.

So you end up having to choose between a better internal resolution or having actual shadows and a few better effects.

Unless it was fixed, it's been a year since I emulated Ps2.
>>
>>320735861
because sonyboys will buy literally anything.
>>
File: 1080vnative-ff12.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1080vnative-ff12.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>320735861
>Why did they do this, /v/?
Probably a mixture of pricing to what they think the market will bear, pricing what they needed to in order to get 3rd parties onboard (remember, the PS2 was good largely because of 3rd party support which also means Sony must negotiate for a license to put them on a digital store on a new platform), etc. Fundamentally it's a niche feature and also good economics to aim a little bit too high and then offer sales, bundles, discounts and so on rather then set the universal expectation at $1 or something like with mobile shit. Plenty of PS2 games are still (at least with good enough emu) absolutely worth $10-15 IMO for people who haven't played them, they're still tons of fun. And the PS2/Xbox/GameCube generation was the first one where 3D was starting to get "lasting" in terms of aging better. 3D on the PS1 was incredibly primitive to the extent of making it hard to even improve later due to lacking core concepts like a Z-buffer.

All told it kind of highlights a lot of the downsides of modern IP handling, but were they to do a quality job (I've not heard how it actually compares to PCSX2 in terms of pure quality of enhancement) I don't think the pricing is that unreasonable for a few titles.

And even with PCSX2 there's still room for technological improvement, just take a look at Ace Combat titles on it for example. I don't think Sony is smart or flexible enough to handle that but let's not pretend it's not even possible to do any better.
>>
>>320735861
>We want the 4chan audience
>>
>>320735861
do all the ps2 games run at 60fps? i dont even think pcsx2 does that. some games are designed at lower framerate. does the ps4 interpolate frames or something? that would actually be kinda cool to see.
>>
>>320736907
No. It runs games worse than pcsx2.
>>
>>320736465
What. Why would it not be OK for a company to put its games up for sale? I actually personally want copyright shortened vastly, at a minimum down to the original 28 years the US once had (if anything given the immensely reduced costs of reproduction and distribution copyright should be shorter now then then, not longer). But even then the PS2 is plenty modern enough that it'd all still be covered, and I don't see any problem with the titles being available.

In fact if anything I'd consider the OPPOSITE to be the big problem: when old titles are not available for sale. Another reform I'd make is that if you own a copyright on a mass work and DON'T have it on the market for sale during like a 5 year period you lose the copyright. IP is for the public good, not to sit on stuff.
>>
The only way this can possibly be successful is
>Games are maximum 10 dollars
>If you bought a ps2 remaster for PS3 is works on your ps4
>20% discount if you own ps+
>>
>Muh cheevos

I'll wait for a sale then.
>>
>>320736907
>do all the ps2 games run at 60fps?
Holy shit the
>muh 60fps
has spread everywhere now, such fucking cancer.
>>
>>320736985
Well then why isn't it ok when Nintendo does it?
>>
>>320736543
I've never had a problem with that, just sounds like you don't know how to configure the system properly.

I've got everything cranked up, no slowdown no shadow glitches, nothing. Then again I took an hour initially when I first set it up to learn all the little nuances. I'm not like most morons that just check off all the " gamefix " boxes and assume games will work.
>>
>>320737162
Nintendo has at least a lot of BC. PS4 has literally none, it's fucking jewish of them. The PS3's all had built in PS1, PS2, and PSP emulators that they locked away.
>>
>>320736985
This, the ability to play older titles is the reason why I still invest on PC gaming.

I can already play ps2 games on my PC so I might not consider buying a ps4, but I would get an Xbox One if I could play Xbox games on it.

The more games the better, don't matter how old they are.
>>
>>320737290
No they don't.
You can literally play wii and wii u games on the wii u.
That's it.
3DS can't even into GBA.
>>
>>320737430
Wii played GC
Wii U plays Wii(no GC? ok)
3DS plays DS
more than Sony who is just a fucking jew.
>>
>>320737162
But it is okay when Nintendo does it? I'd have no problem with Nintendo putting up GC titles for sale for $10-15 either.

Beyond the obvious shitposters the major complaints I remember seeing were when Nintendo did something like WW and then charged full fucking price, like it was brand new. Even then, it's not that the practice itself is wrong inherently, but everyone is free to voice a disagreement with the exact amount of money charged. Just as some people are doing here, but saying as one anon said
>$10 max
is different from
>it should all be FREEEE
Fuck off and gb2/piracy in that case why are you even here?
>>
>>320737204
I just checked, the problem is still there.

When in game, try to change between software and hardware mode (It's the F9 key or something like it, I'm not sure) you will see what I'm talking about.

But make sure it's a game that actually uses this kind of shadow effect, like Dragon Quest 8 or something.
>>
>>320737067
the sooner you kill yourself the better the world becomes you stupid piece of shit.
>>
9,99 would be a good price
>>
>>320735974
Buy a Vita and play the definitive version
>>
>>320735861
I don't see myself using this unless the put out the EA Big PS2 games with online or something. I'd totally fuck with NBA Street or Def Jam FFNY with online.
>>
>>320737204
>didn't happen to me must not be real.
nigger even snes emulation aint perfect yet.
>>
>Buy PS2
>Buy PS2 games
>Buy PS3
>Buy emulated PS2 games
>Buy PS4
>Buy emulated PS2 games

How do they keep doing it?
>>
>>320736543
Most games don't have bugs and games that remove shadows sometimes just require a skipdraw, like DQ8, to fix.

Not many games have missing lighting effects.
>>
Why didn't he say it looks and runs better and has widescreen hacks
>>
>>320737752

Because it doesn't
>>
>>320737290
>PS4 has literally none, it's fucking jewish of them.
No, it's technical reality you fucking casual sperg. Sony made the right call: BC is a niche feature and better to have then not, but not at the cost of having to stick with the Cell or increase the base price of the console. The x86 switchover was necessary and better to get the pain out of the way sooner rather then later and then work on anything else they could in software. And hitting a $400 price point was key, we already saw what happened with the PS 599 US DOWAR and it wasn't pretty. That limited the silicon they could put in it, even without expensive shitty gimmicks like Microsoft and Nintendo went for. This does mean though that the PS5 will get PS4 BC for free just like a PC, since it'll be x86+GPGPU+UMA too.

Nintendo is going to have to face the music soon as well one way or another, assuming they choose to stay in the home console market at all. Though in there case since they have a lot of consoles that were complete trash hardware wise recently it might be easier to do software emulation since they'll have a much bigger gulf to work with. Would be kind of interesting if their huge weaknesses actually turned into a strength next gen.
>>
>>320736131

Seems xbox has no problem doing it...
>>
>maximo and jak still have minor but extremely annoying glitches in hardware mode

it hurts
>>
>>320737924
Based Sony! Keep removing features!
>>
Have they talked about widescreen yet?

Like, will it have Raidou issues or will Sony, the multi-billion dollar corporation, be able to step up to the level a dozen nerds contributing to PCSX2 are already at?

If not, how can they be failing this bad AT THEIR OWN FUCKING CONSOLE? For fucks sake, they MADE the original machine.
>>
>>320737924
>something that's been free far more often than not should have an insane price tag and be limited as fuck instead
Fuck off sony shill, you're mentally retarded.
>>
>>320736543
Persona 3/4 has no issues whatsoever when emulated. Only one I can think of is that forcing widescreen makes some characters that are supposed to go offscreen stand there instead running in place when they're not supposed to be visible, but it's such a petty complain.
>>
>>320737963
But it does. Microsoft has put more resources into it but they don't cover plenty of games, it's not a universal solution it's case-by-case. It helps that the 360 was pretty worthless anyway of course and MS needs something to do since the bone has nada.
>>
File: 1412825387331.png (2 MB, 815x953) Image search: [Google]
1412825387331.png
2 MB, 815x953
>>320735861
Trophyfags are cancer to video games, this isn't news. Were the cheevos really worth the extra charge, you autistic faggots?
>>
>>320738087
>they don't cover plenty of games

Only has been out a month and they need publisher approval to add them, which is out of their control, but they are adding titles regularly as publishers give them the OK.
>>
>>320736187
Try to emulate Timsplitters: Future Perfect without glitches and think again fog in first mission causes colored pixels to appear, periscope in seccond mission bugged to hell, lighting going through walls everywhere
>>
>>320738087

>"BUUUUUT MICRO$HAFT"

Every thread.
>>
Meanwhile, over a year ago for free on PC...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdDnRSp4UIc
>>
>>320738032
>this mad about Sony making an intelligent technical upgrade and thus ending up with the best console at the best price/performance and therefore winning the market
Top kek, keep crying about how "confusing" it is that every buys the PS4 because of Sony doing everything right.

>>320738047
>insane price tag
No, that'd be the bone for $500 dollary dingos despite being worse hardware then the PS4. Or the Wii U which was last gen with a garbage tablet for just $50 less then the PS4. Pocket change for the convenience value of buying an older game is not an insane price tag for, you know, adults who have jobs. And if you're such a casual faggot that you haven't been emulating the PS2 anyway for years already you've got no one to blame but yourself.
>>
>>320738167
yes,only poorfags such as u complain lmoa
>>
>>320738167
Yes they are be cause they are needed because other wise you would bitch that they arn't there.
>>
>>320738340
>bring up Microsoft
>be mad when someone replies about Microsoft
Ok? I apparently fell into your clever trap or something?
>>
>>320738296
>and they need publisher approval to add them
Only because they want to jew consumers. Proper BC which they have developed would let you play any PS2 game.

You will defend this.

>>320738369
>$15 for ancinent games
Guess how much it would cost you to 'emulate' all the titles they're going to offer? An insane price.

Fucking retard.
>>
And here we have a widescreen hack that Sonyggers also won't be getting for their purchase, PURCHASE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OGiD5bEjbY
>>
>>320738369
Fuck off neogaff shitter.
>>
>>320738485
>Proper BC which they have developed would let you play any PS2 game.

they'd look like shit on anything besides a CRT, though
>>
>>320738378
>LOL PC COSTS 10000$ WHO WOULD BUY THAT
>LMAO POORFAG CANT PAY 300$ FOR A GAME
>>
>>320738485
>>320738485
>Only because they want to jew consumers

They are not making money off you putting your old disc in it... It is the publishers being Jews if anything.
>>
>>320738485
OK, so you just want everything for free. Fine, you can do that. So again, why are you even in this thread? You are not a customer, you will never be a customer, so you're also entirely irrelevant. You don't cost any money nor generate any money so you just sort of flail around and your opinions are entirely pointless. I guess you just like getting mad about random stuff or something and feeling superior to the "sheeple" who have disposable income for their hobbies?
>>
File: 1411415426991.gif (1 MB, 270x180) Image search: [Google]
1411415426991.gif
1 MB, 270x180
>>320738485

>Someone is defending paid backwards compatibility on /v/

THE

M A D M A N
A
D
M
A
N
>>
>>320737523
Yes, because you can fit umds in a card slot.
>>
I sometimes wonder how it's possible that the PS3 went from having software/hardware-based emulation for PS1 and PS2 respectively, to absolutely none for PS2, to then somehow being able to start selling PS2 games on PSN one day. (Meaning they had a software-based PS2 emulator that worked but they didn't let you play your PS2 discs)

Similarly I wonder how it's possible that despite the Gamecube and Wii having identical hardware and the Wii being able to play all Gamecube games, the Wii U can only play Wii games.

Maybe there's a reason for it, but it all seems like bullshit.
>>
>>320735861
>PCSX2
>1080p/60FPS
good joke
>>
>>320738396

I really wouldn't.
>>
>>320738378
The price isn't the only issue here, adding trophies to games that previously didn't have them requires work, you honestly think Sony is going to bother with more than 50 games doing this shit before throwing the towel? The selection will be even more garbage than the PS3's classic games.

>>320738396
Nobody expected to play PS2 games with trophies prior to the announcement.
>>
>>320738703

You honestly expect reason from console owners? These are the people who somehow justified spending 400 bucks on a underpowered PC because Sony made it.

These are not smart people Anon.
>>
>>320736985
Its fine to put them up for sale. I'm not the anon you were replying to but my problem is in them forcing the sales on people who already bought the product. These ISO are no different from the ones we paid for on the PS3 and those were no different from the ISO burnt onto the original PS2 discs.

Even then, my problem is more with the consumer culture that is okay with this than the companies that just follow the path of least resistance to more money.

Also your reforms are nearly how copyrights used to work before Disney fucked all our shit up.
>>
>>320738775

See >>320738350
>>
>>320738546
>MGS3

Nigga did you forget the HD collection exists? It probably costs around $15 used these days too.
>>
>>320738814
That's funny coming from the faggots who kill the game industry daily by pirating everything then cry WHERE'S ALL DA GUD GAEMS BAWWWWWW
>>
>>320738885
They didn't remove the functionality, they just hid it from consumers.
>>
>>320738762
Wii cannot play gamecube games if there's no gamecube ports on it. If you attach GC ports to it via soldering or whatever, support for it will suddenly be back. I can only assume the same is true of the wii u. No ports, no dice.
>>
>>320735861
That's cool and all, if that's what they want to use to justify it, but here's the thing, PS4 can tell when a PS2 disc is placed in it, and what game it is.

I'm just saying, if you put the original disc into the PS4, you should not be charged for it, that's fair, right?
>>
>>320738923
>implying /v/ knows shit without being spoonfed
>>
File: 1386462090374.jpg (7 KB, 252x240) Image search: [Google]
1386462090374.jpg
7 KB, 252x240
>>320735861
>People will pay $15 to emulate PS2 games when PCSX2 is free

Sonyggers, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>320738968
>who kill the game industry daily by pirating
good goy

meanwhile console niggers only buy shit games forcing japanese devs to port EVERYTHING to PC where I pirate it for free
>>
>>320738923
>Nigga you forget there's a PS3 version of the PS2 game you want to play on the PS4. It can't be played on the PS4 but it exists! Don't worry though, my African American friend, soon you can buy the PS4 version of the PS3 collection of the PS2 games you've already bought thrice over already!
>>
>>320738369
Holy shit, did they even teach you how not to sound like a shill?
>>
File: 1436500802777.jpg (317 KB, 1350x736) Image search: [Google]
1436500802777.jpg
317 KB, 1350x736
>>320738968

I'm not one of those people. You, however, ARE one of those people who bought a console.

And PC gaming is outselling console gaming on every front so your argument doesn't raise any point.
>>
>>320738923
The HD collection removed a shit ton of content from MGS2 and 3. They're not the definitive versions by any means.
>>
>>320739129
This coming from the fags who actually supported neptunia
>>
>>320738762
are you retarded? Its because they had the right hardware. The Ps2 had a ps1 in it. Certain models of the ps3 had a ps2 in them and were backcompatable as a result
>>
>>320738923

I did not forget. I just didn't feel like buying my game again. Because on PC, I have that choice.
>>
File: compass.jpg (177 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
compass.jpg
177 KB, 1920x1080
>>320738775

>PS4 Runs at 1292x896 on Rogue Galaxy
>Closer to 720P
>PCSX2 runs full 1080P range on rogue galaxy

Apex kek
>>
>>320739176
I feel like the developers part is loaded. Like I feel that I'm among that number.
>>
>>320738350
this is awesome...
>>
>>320737345
>tfw xbox will never have an emu

suck it emufags
>>
>>320738339
Try the GC version on Dolphin, runs perfect
>>
>>320739268

Oh. Ok. Well when your feelings start constituting fact, as provided by me, we'll continue this conversation.
>>
>>320738485
>>and they need publisher approval to add them
>Only because they want to jew consumers.
No because it'd be fucking illegal for them to provide downloads of a company's product without their permission
>>
>>320738762

wiiu plays gamecube games fine via softmod
>>
>>320738878
>but my problem is in them forcing the sales on people who already bought the product. These ISO are no different from the ones we paid for on the PS3 and those were no different from the ISO burnt onto the original PS2 discs.
Eh, I figure it's down to a mixture of convenience value, digital packaging, getting 3rd parties onboard, and some minimal piracy stuff. I don't actually know how their system works under the covers, if they actually need to do some pre-processing then the digital ones they offer might be somewhat different then a straight PS2 rip. The fact they they didn't just offer universal support entirely right off would seem to point towards some extra work needed, which would make sense because the PS4 has the best hardware of the gen, but that's not saying much, it's still shit hardware. If you pump up the quality even PCSX2 would struggle on an APU that weak, emulating the PS2 takes more single threaded performance and the PS4 doesn't have it.

I do think $15 is too high for a straight emu, but if they were able to get quality more like >>320736764 or better I'd consider it ok for certain games that were real gems. I'd want to see $2, $5 and $10 price points though for other lesser titles, and sales/bundles as well. But I'm not inherently opposed to some nominal fee to basically get it backed up on their servers and available for download anywhere. I buy GOG games too for example and consider it to be a worthwhile service overall. It comes down the pricing and quality of the offering.

FWIW right now I just plan to keep using PCSX2 because I don't think Sony is competitive, but if they DID get competitive I'm not inherently unwilling to give them a look.

>Also your reforms are nearly how copyrights used to work before Disney fucked all our shit up.
Yep, although Eldred vs Ashcroft was the real nail in the coffin. Fuck Lawrence Lessig.
>>
>>320739192
what the fuck is that?
>>
>>320735861
>linking directly to gamespot
fucking winter break faggots never learn
https://archive.is/4bRnn
>>
Wait a sec. So if I still have my PS2 disc, can I play that on the PS4 for free?
>>
>>320738350
>all that slowdown
It does make me feel like an idiot for being the HD collections though because they still run at 30. It looks really smooth, I wonder if it's proper 60 FPS though because simply speeding up the game and capping the framerate at 60 (how it used to be done AFAIK) isn't really porper 60 FPS. But the animations look like 60 FPS ones unlike in RE4 for instance. Why would SE not remove the cap on the PS3 versions then? I guess it would causes glitches like this hack supposedly does, but it's still dumb.
>>
>>320739376
I was just making a comment, not trying to disprove your argument. I'm calling the validity of the number into question and wanted to inquire into sources for that number, because that number may include companies dead from the DOS days and any indie who releases anything.

Or you can just keep being a bitch about it and posting shit without looking into sources like a mindless drone bitch. Either one's fine, really.
>>
>>320739515

Hahahaha
ha
>>
>>320739416
>it's illegal to put your disk in a console

sony drones everyone
>>
>>320737963
Didn't know you could play original Xbox titles on the Bone.

Oh wait, you fucking can't.
>>
>>320739515
No, but if you turn it in to your nearest Sony store to have the disc destroyed you get a 20% discount on the digital version on PS4.
>>
>>320739176
where is mobile on that chart? I imagine it has more developers and revinue

more revenue and developers doesnt mean much any more. Fremium cancer is cancer
>>
>>320739581
Do you even know how xbone BC works? You have to download the game. The reason they have to wait for publishers to give their permission is that they can't just put up downloads for games that aren't theirs
>>
>>320739525

That's the arguable problem with PC emulation. At some point you're going to have to start compensating with hardware power, and at that point it's anyone's bet how good your desired game will run.
>>
>>320735861
$ 1 5

SONYGGERS ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>320739525
read the patch thread. it is proper 60fps through internal frame skipping so the animations are the same. you can't tell how smooth it plays from a yt video it's not 1:1
>>
>>320739176
EBIN memegraph bruh :^D
>>
>>320739525
It's proper 60fps.

>>320739698
The game is on a disk already, the data. This is how BC should work.

You buy a new system and can still play the games you own.

But wait, Sony drones will pay again for games they own? Wait, they can't play nearly all of the games they own? Whatever, they will defend this.
>>
>>320737052
>>20% discount if you own ps+

I'd take a free PS2 game over some 2d indieshit
>>
>>320739912

That's how I expected a Sonygger to refute statistical evidence, yes.
>>
>$60 for new games
>$15 for PS2 games
>No PS1 at all, have to buy a completely different system
>$50 a year for peer to peer
>$60 per controller
More like PayStation
>>
>>320739202
You don't get it. Of course PS2 compatibility was hardware-based, like PS1 compatibility on PS2. But even with a later PS3 model you could still buy PS2 games on PSN. Clearly Sony had a working software-based PS2 emulator on the PS3 that they only let you use with downloaded PS2 games and not your PS2 discs even if they'd probably work.
>>
>>320739712
the compensations made in modern pc emualtion are negligible. 90% of the ps2 games run flawlessly on a modern intel/nvidia system. the only real issue is internal framerate limitations and some games can be patched to run flawlessly at 60fps
>>
>>320740006
Anyone can make a chart without sources. Anyone can lie with characters. Charts are not statistical evidence unless actually backed up with raw statistical evidence.
>>
>>320740147

There are sources on the chart, dumbass. I'm starting to see why you felt console gaming was a better choice for you.
>>
>>320739178
this

they took out the movie thearter and boss rush modes in MGS3 and skateboarding in MGS2

still not sure why too, it makes no sense.
>>
File: 1448295300205.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1448295300205.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
>15 year old game
>15 dollars
Nintendo should charge $30 for NES Mario.
>>
File: 1434480096641.gif (2 MB, 294x265) Image search: [Google]
1434480096641.gif
2 MB, 294x265
>>320739956
This, a thousand fucking times this. PS2 games may look rougher but in the end they're still more fun than pretentious indieshit.
>>
File: RG.webm (3 MB, 1676x948) Image search: [Google]
RG.webm
3 MB, 1676x948
>>320739262
>there are people who paid for this
>>
>>320739636
Wat? What the fuck is this 1984? Fuck that.
>>
>>320735861
Fuck all those niggers years ago that would say achievements add content. Look at us now.
>>
>>320740221
Are you serious, shithead? If I put "Source: FBI" on it, that doesn't actually give you any sort of source. There needs to be the specific papers cited. Its people like you that are shitting up the scientific community and producing irreproducable experiments.
>>
If you're running at a higher framerate than the actual console itself then it's not accurate at all. Your graphics and audio are pretty much tied to framerate. A game like gitaroo man where timing is crucial couldn't be emulated accurately
>>
>>320740436
yeah, it really wasnt level5's best
>>
>>320740436
That webm is larger than the PS4's rendering resolution and its free!
>>
What is with people crying about the prices for any game lately?
>>
Why should they cost less? If they're good games and people are generally willing to pay that price, why would they lower it? Just because you're poor?
>>
>>320740792
vidya game crash.
>>
>>320740114
I don't need 60 FPS or high resolutions. I want the original experiences, anything more is nice but not needed.
For me, being able to play the games at all would be enough, but even that doesn't seem to work flawlessly for all of them. Ace Combat for instance supposedly neither works well in software nor hardware mode, and software mode is just 1:1 emulation, right?
>>
File: pcsx2.jpg (32 KB, 337x533) Image search: [Google]
pcsx2.jpg
32 KB, 337x533
Reminder
>>
>>320740919
>I want the original experiences

Then buy a PS2 for dirt cheap.
>>
>>320741009
>Nothing: 5
Alright, what games am I missing out on?
>>
>>320740919
>Ace Combat

This shit barely even works with a softmodded PS2 playing a backup disc, I don't know what they did to Ace Combat games but that shit's barely playable on anything but the legitimate system with a real copy.
>>
>>320741009
"playable" does not mean "runs like on a console"
>>
File: pcsx2.png (19 KB, 225x406) Image search: [Google]
pcsx2.png
19 KB, 225x406
>>320741009

Reminder.

>>320741117

I have a modded PS2 and my Ace Combat plays fine.
>>
>>320741187
Yeah it runs better because it's not on a shitty console.
>>
>>320741187
99% of the time it does. 100% of the time it runs better.
>>
>>320741301
only if you have very high-end (even for today) parts. for most people, it won't
>>
>>320741085
PS2s don't work forever, friend. I have one, it just feels like I'm killing it everytime I'm playing a game on it.
I don't want my slim PS2 to die. ;_;
>>
>>320735861
>most ps1 digital games are about ten bucks
>ps2 digital games cost five bucks more

Seems fair, actually. In an ideal world they would do the same thing as MS and give you a digital copy of any game you have a disc of. But we live in reality so of course it has to cost money.
>>
>>320740919
yeah well the overwhelming vast majority including all the best games emulate perfectly or better than perfect but yeah, the token few games that don't run well would be better played on original. grass is green.
>>
>>320741359
I've been emulating ps2 games perfectly for seven years, shut the hell up.
>>
>>320741106
i think harry potter 2 and 3. 3 is a really good game

if anyone got 3 running, please tell me
>>
>>320741435
>ps1 digital games are about ten bucks
>Seems fair
Literal damage control.
>>
>>320741471

How are Ratchet, Jak and Ace Combat working out for you senpai
>>
>>320737523
Sony were the first company to support BC.
>>
>>320741219
Well it's fine during gameplay but it breaks up during some cutscenes, maybe I just have a bad disc or something.
>>
>>320741556
Indeed, they always supported Black Cocks

And their fans too!
>>
>>320741524
Ratchet works fine and I don't care about 2 out of hundreds of good games. Ace Combat has always been a shit series anyway.

Jak 1 plays fine on my PS2 and the sequels can be emulated.
>>
>>320741618

I had some problems with audio stutter in cutscenes, but I fixed it somehow, and then fucked it up again.
>>
>>320741407
No, they don't work forever but with some maintenance many will continue working even after you are dead, so that's no excuse.
>>
>>320736187
My nigga, Star Ocean 3 is great!
>>
>>320741471
and what parts do you have? i still can't get most games to run fast enough with an i5, 8 gigs of ram, and a 750 using win7. i certainly couldn't dream of ps2 emulation on my phenom 2. funnily enough, gamecube emulation works WORLDS better than ps2 emulation does, despite the gc being a bit more powerful. i can use dolphin maxed up playing pretty much anything. interesting how things work sometimes
>>
>>320736131
>PS2 emu on PS4 requires dev time and bugfixes on a per-title basis, of fucking course they're going to charge you idiot.
So does PSCX2 and the X360 emulator they use on the xbone corporate drone. It costs them very little they just want money.
>>
>>320741512
They made them, they own the copyrights. Just because it's easy to emulate them, doesn't mean they don't have the right to charge for their own products. Time does not invalidate a thing's value.

I would argue that all the PSN Final Fantasies are worth the ten bucks they cost, they're all good and worth the price

i can emulate them

but i think they are still worth paying for
>>
>>320741407
>feels like I'm killing it everytime I'm playing a game on it.

I know that feel lately I tried to play dark navy disc Ridge Racer V since it uses CD and some compression shit, my PS2 went into overdrive and I had to put some soft pads under my PS2 so it wouldnt vibrate the fuck out of my closet.
>>
>>320741793
i emulated ps2 games flawlessly on my old phenom 2 5870 combo
>>
>>320736543
The PS4s PS2 emulator is worse..
>>
>>320741859
that's only because the people working on pcsx 2 are doing it F O R F R E E like hot pockets. you can't blame people working on developers for sony/ms wanting to get paid for their work and their time
>>
>>320741942
that's absolutely bullshit. the phenom 2 can't come close to running ps2 games at 60 fps, let alone 40
>>
>>320741652
Ratchet runs fine but has textures rendering not rigth. I dont know about you but jake 2 runs little slow for me and the eyes where missing on the characters in jak 1,2
>>
>>320738350
Is there similar 60fps hacks for other games? I ever only found that one.
>>
>>320735861
Good thing I already played all the games I wanted, and if I want to play some PS2 games I haven't or just want to replay, I have my old fat PS3. Fuck off, Sony, retarded trophies and shit excuses.
>>
>>320741913
Yeah, my slim one does that too with Oni.
For some reason it spins the few PS2 games on CDs sanic-fast to the point where it starts vibrating. It doesn't do that for PS1 games though, because they don't require to be read as quickly I suppose?
>>
>>320738485
>Guess how much it would cost you to 'emulate' all the titles they're going to offer? An insane price.

Absolutely nothing my laptop runs every single PS2 game perfectly in PSCX2.
>>
>>320741512
each gen nowadays on PSN costs increasingly more based on how complex the tech was.

ps1 game - $10
ps2 game - $15
ps3 game - $30
ps4 game - $50+
>>
Any reason they cant take the PS1 and PS2 emulators from PS3 and put them on the PS4?
>>
>>320741652
>Ace Combat has always been a shit series anyway.
Faggot.
>>
>>320742085
holy shit you're fucking retarded
>>
>>320742332
you're patently lying
>>
>>320742267
Yeah, it tries to read CD as fast as DVD meaning reaching speeds at which it could rip your fucking hands off if you as much as tried to open the lid and take your CD without waiting 30 minutes for it to slow down a bit.
>>
>>320736187
I thought Star Ocean 3 was one of those games that just don't work, like Ace Combat. Good to know it's not. It's my absolute favourite game.
>>
>>320742332
Your full of shit no it dose not.
>>
>>320742395
i had the same parts as you did and games did not come close to running at acceptable speeds. you're lying
>>
>>320741524
are they playable on PS4? I would buy a ps4 for those games
>>
File: 1372118022000.gif (126 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1372118022000.gif
126 KB, 720x480
>>320741652
>ace combat shit
>>
>>320742492
that's because you don't how to operate a pc efficiently. stick to consoles, pleb. i was never anything short of amazed at how well that old system ran. ps2 emulation does not need strong single core performance to run flawlessly. chances are your system was borked. i've been building pc's for 20 years and know how to make everything tits. my system was overclocked, on air only tho
>>
>>320740919
>PS2 emulation on PS4
>"orginal experiences"
Pick one and only one drone. Just admit you want a corporation, Sony, to dominate the world and that is why spending money to emulate a game is justifiable.
>>
>>320742745
you're bullshitting like the blowhard you are
>>
>>320741187
That's exactly what it fucking means. You clearly have never worked with an emulator before. By your logic Cemu is calling MK8 playable now.
>>
>>320742440
You think so? For some reason I had the impression that DVDs inherently go with slower disc reads, like BDs and that the PS2 reads PS2 CDs super-fast because the data is spread out more and to speed up loading times. Shit, I don't know. lel
>>
>>320742817
k lol you're a dumbass
>>
>>320742745
>ps2 emulation does not need strong single core performance to run flawlessly. chances are your system was borked

no the phenom/phenom 2 were just terrible processors and pcsx2 runs terribly on AMD
>>
>>320742838
"playable" means it CAN be played, not that it is flawlessly emulated
>>
>>320742843
What I mean is, to approach DVD like reading speed PS2 has to spin CD so fast its turning into a hovercraft due to vibration.
>>
>>320742906
runs perfectly on amd.
>>
>>320742401
>>320742475
Yes it does... It literally emulates better than a PS4. A $400 laptop nowadays has more than enough computing power to run emulation software.
>>
>>320742009
I literally just said that Microsoft is not charging for it if you have the disk. How is it that people working for free created a better PS2 emulator than Sony?
>>
>>320743081
bullshit
>>
>>320743081
So you can play ever PS2 game out fine? You full of shit.
>>
>>320743002
That would be "in game". Playable is close to perfect game-speed wise and graphic accuracy. PSCX2 playable games are better than games emulated on the ps4.
>>
>>320743234
wow you're really stupid.
>>
>>320743234
To be fair, a ps4 only emulates like 10 PS2 games right now.
>>
>>320742354
Sony Jewery
>>
Maybe I suck at emulating but when I tried pcsx2 for Ratchet and Clank 2, the very beginning of the game cell blocks were fucking orange and the game ran at 3 fps

My computer is fairly average but runs Crysis 2 and Witcher 2 on high around 45 fps
>>
>>320743014
Right, it makes sense. To be able to read and process the same amount of data from a CD as it would on a DVD in the same time, it has to spin it like a fucking buzz-saw.

I don't remember my fat PS2 doing that, but my slim one definitely does it.
>>
>>320742185
All KH and all MGS games have them. Some Mario and misc weeb games do too.

>>320742358
Prove me wrong.
>>
i made an ancient core m x300 run ps2 games emulated at 30 fps any modern desktop they would absolutely SCREAM on unless you're a clueless retard
>>
>>320737613

>being a butthurt underage redditor

lmao
>>
>>320743391
Its the just the game man. i can run full speed but the textures dont render right.
>>
>>320742746
I wasn't talking about or defending paid PS2 emulation on PS4, you autist. I was talking about the importance of accurate emulation over the graphical enhancements it can offer often at the cost of accuracy.
>>
>>320743234
>>320743206
Look up any $400 laptop its specs are well above the recommended specs for PSCX2.
>>
>>320743508
yeah it does make me a bit butthurt that the world would be a lot better without you in it. how can you be this dumb i mean like really even a five year old knows better than you
>>
File: 1450301750267.jpg (84 KB, 333x556) Image search: [Google]
1450301750267.jpg
84 KB, 333x556
>>320743421
Well, to be fair fat PS2's are like closets into Narnia itself, you put something inside, magic happens and no one knows where is your disc till you press "eject"
I bet you could murder someone inside fat PS2 and no one would hear a thing.
>>
>>320743391
That's because that game is broken..
>>
>>320743618
Are all the RnCs games like that because those are the only games I really wanna bother emulating
>>
>>320743319
I know but i was going by his other post that said he can play all PS2 games out.
>>
>>320743686

no u
>>
>>320743391
It all depends on your core. And Crysis 2 on high at 45 is pretty poor, not to put you down or anything
>>
>>320738040
There will be no widescreen outside games that supported it on the ps2.
>>
>>320743827
I spent 300$ on my computer so I'm happy it puts out what it puts out
>>
>having to pay for games you already bought

kek
>>
File: 1404328126403.png (180 KB, 596x326) Image search: [Google]
1404328126403.png
180 KB, 596x326
15 dollars is chump change you filthy goyim
and the money allows us to add something very important and valuable: achievements!
don't you dare emulate for free on a PC, you have to pay for a PC anyways~!
>>
>>320737685
Didn't happen to me, so it's not real for me.

Nigga how incompetent are you that you can't even run an NES game without it fucking up?
>>
>>320743820
To be fair again, it plays way more games than the PS4 does. You can't really compete in that department, you know?
>>
>>320743794
I only played 1,2 and they both had that problem for me. You can play them in software mode fine, but at the point just use a PS2 console.
>>
>>320744032
http://tasvideos.org/EmulatorResources/SNESAccuracyTests.html

Accuracy != Can run it. Accuracy means that it runs it looking pixel perfect like it did on the real system.
>>
>>320743657
Its not about specs its about the fact pcx2 cant play ever PS2 game out
.>>320744089
True PS4 has no games thats why. lol
>>
>>320743206
>>320743234

When my good laptop died and I was left with my work one I emulated Shinobi, FFX, FFXII, Yakuza and Way of the Samurai on an I5 and an integrated Intel HD 4500 and only ever had FPS drops at 2x Native on the particle effects of some spells in the FF games.
>>
File: SO3 HW mode on.jpg (313 KB, 1920x1086) Image search: [Google]
SO3 HW mode on.jpg
313 KB, 1920x1086
>>320737567
I dunno man, all I know is I've never had a problem with either mode. Software mode either I haven't configured ever, or it's just not up to snuff, but Ill post some comparison pics.

This first one is Hardware mode with eveything turned up. Shadows are there, Aliasing gets ride of the jaggies, and the textures look sharper and better. It also runs super smooth without a single iota of slowdown or stutter.

ill post software pic for comparison right after this
>>
File: 1416526299229.jpg (127 KB, 693x693) Image search: [Google]
1416526299229.jpg
127 KB, 693x693
I like how you faggot are extremely autistic about quality and anything sub 60 fps is a sin but when it comes to emulation some glitchy flickering slowdown shitfest with missing textures is "perfectly fine"

I bet you homos think N64 emulation is good too.
>>
>>320739956
I wish they'd do this with PS1, PS2, and PSP titles too. They would in the early days of the service, but not anymore. I'm sick of getting shitty indie games i'll never play from PS+.
>>
>>320744690
>glitchy flickering slowdown shitfest with missing textures

things that never happen the post
>>
>>320743730
I used to hide my weed in a fat PS2.
>>
>>320744234
So you basically just explained to him that it can't run NES games accurately, but then just said it can run them accurately? especially isnes
>>
>>320744690
>I bet you homos think N64 emulation is good too.
It isn't?
>>
>>320744792
fuck off jamal
>>
>>320744770
You never played many games pcsx2 then.
>>
time to put the sonytard shills to bed,

>Recommended
>Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32bit or 64bit) with the latest DirectX
>CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.2 GHz or better OR i3/i5/i7 @ 2,8 GHz or better OR >AMD Phenom II @ 3,2 GHz or better
>GPU: 8800gt or better (for Direct3D10 support)
>RAM: 1GB on Linux/Windows XP, 2GB or more on Vista / Windows 7

runs a fucking toaster.

http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/PCSX2#Hardware_and_Software
>>
>>320744910
My toaster from 2006 can't break 40 FPS regardless of settings on it. It's so fucking close.
>>
>>320744908
Probably more than you.
>>
File: SO3 Software On.jpg (272 KB, 1920x1086) Image search: [Google]
SO3 Software On.jpg
272 KB, 1920x1086
>>320744663
This software mode makes it look like it did back on PS2, probably because I'd never configured it. But I did go and change settings to reflect my original set up as closely as possible and it pretty much looked the same eventually.

but in both instances there are shadows and everything else there, so I just don't see what you're saying, and I've played a ton of PS2 games without any issues, including Dirge of Cerberus, the entire.hack series, ff12 int., guitaroo man, Katamary Damacy, Radiata Stories and FFX with no problems.
>>
>>320744885
It's Ja'mal to you.
>>
Trophies are achievements for patrician players though
>>
>>320745027
Lol ok
>>
>>320745174
Dude I used to volunteer in the PCSX-2 wiki to list game compatibility.
>>
>>320745119
>tfw Ridge Racer V will never be emulated without issues.
>>
>>320745119
>probably because I'd never configured it
No, software more can only render at native resolution.
It has ways to go but software mode is much more accurate than hardware.
>>
File: SO3 Original PS2.jpg (245 KB, 1889x970) Image search: [Google]
SO3 Original PS2.jpg
245 KB, 1889x970
>>320745119
This is how it looks on the original PS2. So I'm gonna go ahead and ignore an entire thread saying that emulation doesn't exist, or doesn't work, because I just literally posted my own screen shots for comparison.

Anyone arguing about it after that is just shitposty trollkids on winter vacation.
>>
AS LONG AS THERE IS BURNOUT 3, IM OKAY WITH THIS
>>
>>320739262
God damn that games ending was so fucking shit. Made me regret playing it.
>>
Tales of the Abyss and Persona 3 FES ETA when?
>>
>>320745262
how? I literally just posted a hardware screen up there that is miles better looking and runs way better than software mode.

Only other thing I could do is stream the gameplay to prove that I'm not making this up.
>>
>>320745251
So dose not change the fact that so many games dont work right or at all.
>>
>>320745423
nothing wrong with them, they run fine on pcsx2
>>
I couldn't figure out why my PS2 games were stuttering regardless of hardware, then realized I was storing ISOs on a caviar green that parks its head every 8 seconds. Since the emulator only loads tiny bits of the ISO at a time and happened to do it every 8 seconds, there'd be a consistent 500ms lag spike while it waited for the head to unpark.
>>
>>320745430
Software being more accurate means it's closer to the actual hardware.
>>
File: 1403406876928.jpg (312 KB, 634x874) Image search: [Google]
1403406876928.jpg
312 KB, 634x874
Meanwhile Xbone's working on full BC at no additional charge, even for Xbox HUEG.

Trophies on PS2 classics is pretty cool though. Almost want to get Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy for it.

>Dark Cloud 3 will never happen
>>
>>320744663

There is a bug if you look at the shadows. The character shadows are rendered separately from each body part and are not "soft" shadows. Common bug with PS2 emulation. Might be a fix, I don't consider it to be a major drawback given the huge improvements to texture resolution and jaggies.
>>
>>320745617
ok, well either way hardware mode makes the game look way better and play better too so why bother trying to get it as close to original as possible if it is superior on HW mode?
>>
>>320745434
only a handful, except if you get your panty in a twister for an off pixel.
>>
>>320745652

>even for Xbox HUEG
sauce?
>>
>>320745656
Yeah I can get them to look more soft if I want, but I don't really care, game runs and looks great.
>>
File: pcsx2 2015-06-21 07-51-44-48.jpg (116 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
pcsx2 2015-06-21 07-51-44-48.jpg
116 KB, 1920x1080
>>320745262
There are still options for it anon.

>>320745617
That doesn't mean hardware doesn't emulate games properly.

>>320745562
Yeah some games even stutter on 7500rpm disks.
>>
>>320737963
>x360
AMD GPU
>PS3
nVidia GPU
>xOne & PS4
AMD GPU

See...
>>
>>320745001
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-Radeon-HD-3850-256MB-DDR3-PCI-Express-/262198857168?hash=item3d0c450dd0

here you go. $12 and now you can run games at recommended unless your on a pentium 4 or something

or just go on ebay and look for 8800 GT 256 MB, 8800 GTS 320 MB, GT 440 GDDR5, GT 630 GDDR5, GT 730 128-bit GDDR5
HD 2900 Pro, HD 3850 256 MB, 5550 (GDDR5)

any of these should run pcsx2 at recommended levels with at least phenom 2 or core 2 duo cpu ergo an ancient toaster of a system
>>
Even though we're getting the definitive DQ VIII version for the 3DS next year I'd suck dick for a remastered PS4 version.
>>
>>320745738
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-backwards-compatibility-for-original-xbox/1100-6432524/

Officially it's like "we haven't ruled it out", but a bunch of OG Xbox games apparently popped up on the BC poll the other day before being taken down.
>>
Are people mad about 15 bucks for a full length game? Try to buy the old copies, I hope you're only spending 15 bucks for any of them. I know I didn't when I bought them the first time.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.