[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who was the best Metal Gear final boss? They're all so good,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: MGS Villains.png (1 MB, 984x631) Image search: [Google]
MGS Villains.png
1 MB, 984x631
Who was the best Metal Gear final boss? They're all so good, save for Snagglepuss. I wonder why Kojima forgot that fighting your rival/mentor on equal grounds is always a million times more interesting than fighting a big monster.
>>
Liquid Ocelot, although that might be cheating since it plays off the nostalgia for three previous gsmes
>>
Liquid Ocelot and Liquid. The Boss was good too.
>>
I hate to be that guy, but Armstrong is probably the best of them all.

MGR isn't even my favorite, but that finale was just on another level.
>>
Gay Loveman
>>
Solidus , mainly because I had no idea what was going on
>>
Liquid Ocelot > Liquid > The Boss > Armstrong > Solidus > Wet Dryman > Skelly
>>
File: image.jpg (153 KB, 886x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153 KB, 886x1080
>Liquid=best dialogue
>Solidus=best motives
>Boss=best mechanics
>Ocelot=best presentation
>Armstrong=best music
Metal Gear
>>
>>320732289
Metal Gear Rex and the boss rush following it are the greatest, no contest.
Solidus was a shit afterthought, the true climax of mgs2 is going through arsenal gear.
The Boss is insufferable as a character but decent as a fight, as is Volgin.
I haven't gotten around to Liquid Ocelot
There is nothing good about any Piss Walker fight
Poor man's DMC isn't metal gear
>>
>>320732878
>>Solidus=best motives
The dude was played from the beginning and was never even in contest for his goals. He never had a chance. Also his reasons for impersonating Snake make no sense since the only people he was trying to fool wouldn't be fooled.
>>
>>320733475
No one ever realised he was the president , how come Snake never noticed the president looked like Big Boss
>>
Do you mean character? The fight itself?

Big Boss in MG2 is my pick either way. It's a shame Kojima never approached an idea like that again. Solidus was pretty good too.
>>
>>320733020
>I haven't gotten around to Liquid Ocelot
It's dumb pandering the same as the rest of MGS4.
>>
If you want to go off the logic that TPP was designed to induce a phantom pain in the player then not fighting Skullface would work, seeing as defeating him felt like an hollow victory for Kaz because he didn't get back what he had lost and the player was left unsatisifed because they didn't actually get the pleasure of fighting Skullface, right after learning that he was supposedly capable of taking on The Boss, no less.

It would, of course, be much better if you got to fight him, but it at least makes the lack of a boss fight more tolerable this way.
>>
>>320733596
He didn't have an eyepatch
>>
>>320734212
You're making excuses for Kojima and Konami. Kojima never planned to give us real boss fights. Instead we get Quiet and Snagglepuss.
>>
>>320734757
I'm not excusing them, I'm as disappointed by MGSV as anyone else, I'm just saying that seeing it this way makes it more bearable. I'd like to believe it's intentional but I don't actually believe it.
>>
File: 1437306159383.png (68 KB, 167x260) Image search: [Google]
1437306159383.png
68 KB, 167x260
>>320734212
This 100%. People too dumb to understand why Skullsface was killed by Huey will be forever mad and hating MGSV. All of the marketing around REVENGE, only to have Huey shoot him and caring worthy scream REVENGE!!! Should have tipped them off.

But no, constant complaining about a great game.
>>
>>320735429
That I didn't mind. I minded the game being 80% "go rescue this unimportant hostage."
>>
>>320735429
Okay. This much is obvious. It doesn't excuse how crap the rest of the game (or its story) is though.
>>
>>320733020
>the true climax of mgs2 is going through arsenal gear.

and that art of the game sucked.
>dialogue about random bullshit from Roy and Rose, who are revealed to be AI's (Roy from the start and Rose was switched at some point)
>Raiden is naked and flipping around
>a cool hallway battle with Snake (the only good part of this fight) ruined because Raiden is stuck with a sword
>unfair fight against 6ish Metal Gear Rays
>a silly cutscene
>Roy wanting tot talk about something (I blew him off)
>fighting Solidus with crappy sword controls
>>
>>320736139
That was the best part , no game has ever replicated how bizarre and out of left field that entire sequence was
>>
>>320736139
I hate you because video games are bad now to cater to your small capacity for thinking.
>>
>>320736139
Wrong: Rose is AI from the start, there are a few dialogue points when RAIDEN questions the orders or the mission and Rose scolds him for it... Every time he goes back to blindly following orders but its great, play it agaib
>>
>>320736139
>and that art of the game sucked.
No it didn't. On higher difficulties keeping Snake alive can be an asspain, but on the whole it's great. The sneaking before you get into the hallway to meet Snake is some of the most tense stuff Metal Gear has ever had. I wish it was two or three times as long.

I didn't mind the sword controls either though I see how someone else might.
>>
>>320736445
I was thinking "why is this segment so stupid" the entire time.

Also "when will this stupid shit end?"

>>320736490
>play it agaib
Why? MGS4 renders what happened in MGS2 null and void.

>>320736576
>The sneaking before you get into the hallway to meet Snake is some of the most tense stuff Metal Gear has ever had
I recall running from point a to point b
>>
>>320732289
>your brother
>your other brother
>your (essentially) mother
>your brother again (but not really but kinda)

the others are all spinoffs and really don't live up to the main 4

4 > 2 > 3 > 1
>>
>>320736608
>I recall running from point a to point b
Play it above easy, then.
>>
>>320736998
I think I was playing Normal.

Hard to say, I played MGS2 once and I did not fucking like it.
>>
>>320732878
Why do you think Boss has best mechanics? I'd say she had the best setting but I don't know about mechanics, just curious brodie
>>
Gene
>>
>>320736762
V isn't a spinoff, it's just not very good.
>>
>>320737994
let me pretend anon

let me pretend
>>
>>320738058
Well alright, but remember that 2's final boss isn't Raiden's brother, it's his father figure.
>>
>>320732289
Armstrong
>>
>>320738429
>it's his father figure.

except that is not revealed until right before the fight so that fight has no real emotional connection
>>
File: MGS3.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
MGS3.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>320737908
Every other final boss was either a straight-forward punch-punch-kick the shit out of him (Liquid, Ocelot, Solidus w/out HF Blade), find an opening and slash-slash-slash (Solidus w/ HF Blade), a bullet sponge (ZEKE, Sally/Sniper tanks), or Armstrong, which also has good mechanics, but are pretty basic for an action game besides Zandatsu and parry, which aren't complex.

The Boss can be taken on stealthily using the flowers or aggressively with the Sneaking Suit (ironically).
You can use firearms or CQC, which has a timed/counter aspect so it isn't OP.
CQC on either of you is debilitating, stunning her long enough to get 3 well-aimed shots or hits in, or stunning you long enough to get a face full of bullets or your weapon dismantled, which you have to recover.
You have a countdown that is not shown in any way except the last 5 minutes, with it playing Snake Eater and ending exactly on the at the end of the countdown. You only have 10 minutes, so it can't be a battle of attrition.
The Boss's pale skin, platinum blonde hair, and white sneaking suit make her one of the few bosses who effectively uses stealth against YOU.
You can lure her out of her position like with guards with noises and traps.
You can't just shoot her straight on because of the Patriot.
Best of all, you have all your weapons and tools at your disposal.
The only catch: She is better than you in every main aspect of the game: CQC, stealth, firepower, and possibly health depending on how much you accumulated by the end of the game.

tl;dr her fight has depth
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.