[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just found out Project M got canned. Slowpoke, I know. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 14
File: photo.jpg.png (212 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg.png
212 KB, 900x900
So I just found out Project M got canned. Slowpoke, I know. I didn't follow it much to begin with, just to see if they ever added the new characters they promised.

So, I want to talk about the 'why'. Does anyone have a good picture as to why it was canceled? It's been about two weeks, so I would think someone would have come forward about it by now. The best explanation I've seen so far is that the PM team got a dick put in their ass by EA to make a new game that no one is going to play.
C&D is possible, but I think someone would have said something about it so far.

Also, is there further work going to be done by the community? Like maybe a patch to add in Knuckles and Lyn?
>>
>>320726346
Please tell me that pic is real
>>
>>320726346
>But caring about smash enough to shitpost r9k images in the smash thread

Feel free to leave the video games board, then.
>>
>>320726346
>I am autistic enough to post le epic face book cuck nigger meme shit
>>
My understanding is that it was dropped to move people to other projects. Brawl is still playable there isn't a point doing Project M when they'll just shit out another SSB next year
>>
>>320726346
>2015
>still trusting women
>>
>>320726572
Why would they cancel it mid-development when they were releasing development images as early as four days before the cancellation, then?

If that's the case, why wouldn't they leave the downloads page up? Or, at least the legal contact info.
>>
>>320726257
>The best explanation I've seen so far

You haven't been looking very hard, then. Wavedash Games is headed by a former member of EA's team, EA is in no way involved in this. Wavedash Games isn't even involved, despite what you might think.

The most popular opinion right now is that a mystery company, likely Nintendo or Konami, sent a subtle threat of legal action to the PMDT, they sought legal advice, and decided it best to shut down.

Personally, I think it's a bunch of bullshit. They followed the advice of a newbie lawyer, didn't even seek a second opinion, and then fucked off, offering a bunch of contradicting statements and other such nonsense.
>>
>>320726572
They're not just going to shit out another Smash next year.
They're probably going to bug the fuck out of Sakarui at some point and he's going to give in, but until then, It's going to be a few years before they even entertain the idea of another Smash.
>>
>>320726864
Oh, then that raises another question:
What is project wavedash?
I'm hearing about it, I don't see any pictures of it. Are they going to try and make Brawl but with Original Characters but no it'll totally be worth playing: edition?

If it's headed by an member of EA's team, then what does the name have to do with the project? Is it even a Smash clone? Does anyone who is even familiar with smash work on it?

I know, you probably don't have these answers.
>>
>>320726257
A lot of the assets and shit were released to the public, so there are people doing their own things with it. The only page I know at the moment that is attempting to make a "3.6.1" build using those assets is here. I'm sure there are others, but I'm giving you what I know.
https://github.com/TheOriginalSINe/Project-M-CC

As far as why they went down, I don't know it all and I don't care about it at the moment. There's too much ambiguity happening with it all for me to care about it.
>>
Is it worth playing PM anymore? Or should I just delete it?

The whole reason people clung to it was because it was a new Brawl thing that was getting constant updates. Now what? I don't think PM on it's own was good enough to spend months memorizing the metagame. So where do we go from here?
>>
>>320726257
no c&d, but when smash 4 came out, project m could no longer be streamed or even present at major events so they gave up. you also have to keep in mind they spent years on the mod because poor management, and you can't really show the mod on a resume, nor can you make money from it. rumor is some of the team is going to try a smash clone to profit from it.

regarding the update they gave up on, we have all of it including lyn/knuckles/isaac. there is a community based around trying to finish it.
>>
>>320727032
Spelled Sakurai wrong, faggot.
>>
>>320727190
FORMER member of EA

There's really not much to know. Wavedash Games announced their existence and the tentative Project Wavedash back in early October, overhyped it to fuck, and then have been mostly silent since. The only reason people think they have any ties to PMDT is because Strong Bad and Warchamp, two former PMDT members, were doing some sort of advertising stunt with them.

Find more info here, I guess.
https://twitter.com/wewavedash
http://www.wavedash.com/
>>
File: 1336348155697.jpg (52 KB, 845x477) Image search: [Google]
1336348155697.jpg
52 KB, 845x477
>>320727416
Well, I'm glad you feel less shitty.

I just found out about it, and it was the stupid thing I liked to open up and play for a couple hours after work.

It hasn't gone away, but I was really looking forward to some of the changes they had planned.

I didn't even upgrade to 3.6 yet because I thought to myself "I'll just upgrade when 4 comes out. I play against bots anyway, so why would I care about some balance changes?"
>>
>>320727564
There are still mirrors up for 3.6, which you should definitely get. A large portion of the community seems to be backing 3.61 with its cosmetics and bugfixes, but everyone's afraid of the potential risk involved.
>>
>>320727564
Even if it's just against bots, you could have updated for the blastless zones mode and all-star mode, but that's mostly if you cared about those.
>>
>>320727453
So the theory is that relations to Project M might be the reason they canned Project M in order to work on this new thing?

It makes sense, but why would they EVER think that it would gain popularity when it's not really Smash? People got into smash because of Nintendo, people stayed with Melee because of it's mechanics.
>>
File: that's bait.gif (1 MB, 400x254) Image search: [Google]
that's bait.gif
1 MB, 400x254
>>320727416
>wife's son
>>
>>320727736
I would have. Maybe I should try it once more.

>>320727691
I didn't know that. I'll go searching for some.
>>
>>320727691
I didn't hear about these, what were they?
>>
>>320727753
For fuck's sake, the PMDT is not working on this "new thing" with Wavedash Games. How many times do I have to say that? Minor marketing stunt != working on game

Otherwise, yes. Project M essentially got too big for its britches, and the PMDT feared that being in the public eye as they were for so long would bring down the legal hammer on them if they continued to release updates.

Project M DID gain popularity. It nearly broke 400 entrants at Paragon LA this year. People played (and continue to play) Project M because its mechanics are similar to Melee, but with the addition and balancing of 15 more characters.
>>
http://projectmirror.no-ip.org/

There's the mirror for 3.6. There are also downloads to every previous version.

If you want to follow the progress on the community completion build (I recommend you do, they're making a lot of really good progress on the new characters), find that here.
https://github.com/TheOriginalSINe/Project-M-CC
>>
>>320726257
And nothing of value was lost!
>>
>>320728179
The daily builds are still very incomplete. I say you stick to 3.61 stable until they're closer to completion.
>>
>>320728019
I see. So they just got cold feet and ran?
Do we believe Warchamp in that zero legal pressure was applied? Because I find that hard to believe.

>>320728179
Oh thank you.I really appreciate it.
>>
>>320728447
Essentially. I don't believe Warchamp or any of the other former PMDT members either. They've all given so many conflicting statements, it's almost impossible to discern the truth.
>>
>>320726257
Thank god this horrible meme mod is gone now,
>>
>>320728573
Thanks for helping. Do you know what the stories are from all the team members? I can only find Warchamp's statement.
>>
Here's my question: /NewPMDT/ got taken down, too. That's where anyone who wanted to get new info on builds went.

Why would they take that down when it was up for a full week after the PM cancellation was announced?
>>
>>320726257
gagged c&d, lyn/ knuckles were in the last dev build, lyn is 90% done but can't be used in ditto, knuckles is like 25% done
>>
>>320728774
>gagged c&d

Does such a thing exist?
>>
>>320728826
No
>>
>>320728739
The guy who made it pussied out after the spooks said "we'll sue u m8 plz respect our feelings"

>>320728826
Yeah
>>
Can someone tell me how to get Lynn? Her kit looked amazing whenI saw her.
>>
>>320729074
Read the thread
>>
>>320728643
Mewtwo2000 said possible legal problems, Lunchables (supposedly) said there were definite threats made, Strong Bad said there may or may not have been threats. Of course, all of this conflicts with the original sentiment of "the project is done and we're happy with it". None of them wanted it to end.

>>320728739
NewPMDT's plan was to finish 3.61, make it the tournament standard, and then move on and start a new Brawl mod from scratch called Evolution. There's some questioning as to whether or not they truly were going to start from scratch, some believed they were planning to reuse PMDT's code and assets, which got them shut down. Leads me to wonder why/how TheOriginalSINe is still operating.

>>320728774
There was a fix released for Lyn pretty quickly, also Knuckles is more like 85% done.
>>
>>320729074

I'm curious too, is she in 3.61?
>>
>>320729249
Just Sine's 3.CC.

3.61 stable does not have Knuckles and Lyn.
>>
>>320729163
>NewPMDT's plan was to finish 3.61, make it the tournament standard, and then move on and start a new Brawl mod from scratch called Evolution. There's some questioning as to whether or not they truly were going to start from scratch, some believed they were planning to reuse PMDT's code and assets, which got them shut down. Leads me to wonder why/how TheOriginalSINe is still operating.

If you want my guess: Nintendo is big and their legal process is slow. He's a tiny ant that is too hard to see in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>320729163
>Mewtwo2000 said possible legal problems, Lunchables (supposedly) said there were definite threats made, Strong Bad said there may or may not have been threats. Of course, all of this conflicts with the original sentiment of "the project is done and we're happy with it". None of them wanted it to end.

Yeah, that sounds like it was nuked. Fuck.

I knew it was probably going to happen eventually. I was just hoping it would get it after 4.0 was released and the version changes were mostly done.

So the original team can't touch it anymore. Does that mean the community is going to pick it up and finish it for good? Or are they going to add some more content to it?
>>
File: 1447918507136.webm (1 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
1447918507136.webm
1 MB, 854x480
>>
>>320729163
>NewPMDT's plan was to finish 3.61, make it the tournament standard, and then move on and start a new Brawl mod from scratch called Evolution.

Why would you waste time making more brawl mods when the last one got crushed so hard?
not being facetious, but I don't see why you too would want to walk off that bridge after you just saw a much bigger guy walk off of it.
>>
>>320729548
Holy shit read the thread >>320727289

>>320729673
That's disinfo. Evolution was a project made after PM got shut down. It was disassembled.
>>
>>320729595
I missed it, how did Mewtwo knock Snake downward from an aerial confusion?

Is that just something confusion can do and I didn't know?
>>
>>320729863
Confusion has a windbox at the very edge of it.
>>
>>320727453
>announced their existence
>overhyped it to fuck
>have been mostly silent since
This is the problem with the industry today- they hype up things too much with nothing to show, then disappear for years. Half of Kickstarter games are exactly this
>Yooka-Laylee
>No Man's Sky
>Hat in Time
>>
File: PrestigiousExcellentAnnelida.webm (1 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
PrestigiousExcellentAnnelida.webm
1 MB, 600x338
>>320729863
Confusion has a windbox.
>>
>>320729789
Oh, okay. Thanks.

>As far as why they went down, I don't know it all and I don't care about it at the moment. There's too much ambiguity happening with it all for me to care about it.

That seems like a good stance to take. Not to mention disinfo.
>>
>>320729990
This I want to know more about: How did that Ness know to curve the PK Thunder in that direction? Was it just luck or were the previous two Lucas stocks him doing the same trick over and over?
>>
>>320727453
Huh, interesting. Reading through their twitter, apparently they're going to be at Genesis to do a Q&A of sorts. Maybe we'll finally fucking hear something.
>>
>>320730347
That's Boiko, one of the best Ness players in the country. I'm pretty sure I've seen him do that to gimp other Ness/Lucas players before.
>>
>>320730394
Oh shit! Actual information!

Que them announcing a new wallpaper or something.
>>
File: secret.png (728 KB, 888x480) Image search: [Google]
secret.png
728 KB, 888x480
Nintendo isn't going to C&D a mod that can't be streamed and can't be played at main events anymore.
Judging from the leaked builds, the team has done VERY little since September.
They called it quits guys, don't always believe the C&D boogieman.

For fucks sake, the original knuckles/lyn gameplay leaks were back in 2014.
>>
>>320730567
I could believe that, but at the same time: why remove EVERYTHING? Why not at least keep up the downloads page? Or the forums?
>>
Just keep playing PM. It'll develop a stable meta now that there are no more updates, and that will most likely lead into larger events in the future.
>>
File: 1449034550791.jpg (62 KB, 888x261) Image search: [Google]
1449034550791.jpg
62 KB, 888x261
>>320730567
>>320730679
whoa, hey guys
>>
>>320730679
Most likely so that they don't have to worry about paying for hosting it anymore. Either way, it doesn't matter since someone already set up their own mirror page with every build released by the team before they stopped it.
>>
Anyone from MD/VA? I hear Warioware /Wario Land has been a banned stage for a while now. Is this true?
>>
File: twatter.png (68 KB, 595x709) Image search: [Google]
twatter.png
68 KB, 595x709
>>320731096
Welcome to EB Games
>>
File: KaleidoscopicAcidicBlacklab.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
KaleidoscopicAcidicBlacklab.webm
2 MB, 854x480
>>320731095
>implying
Without the promise of new content/balance and the legal fear PM is not going to reach 3.5/vgbc numbers again. I still play it but c'mon squirt that's hokey.
>>
>>320731096
Is there anything relating Wavedash and Project M? I didn't hear about any of the team members working on it.

Also: If that's considered 'okay', what about Air Dash; that other Smash clone that advertised that some of its members worked on Project M?
>>
>>320731318
Air Dash Online has been dead for two years, m8.

>>320731259
Paragon LA had more entrants than Apex 2014. Apex 2014 was considered the highest point of PM, and despite getting kicked off of Twitch for Paragon, they still pulled amazing numbers.
>>
File: they see your dick.gif (3 MB, 445x247) Image search: [Google]
they see your dick.gif
3 MB, 445x247
>>320731096
Lel they sacrificed their only popular mod that is even used at tournaments to work on their own indieshit game that is obviously going to fail.
>>
File: DisloyalFaroffGlobefish.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
DisloyalFaroffGlobefish.webm
1 MB, 640x360
>>320731318
Air Dash Online died with its Kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1289882404/air-dash-online-the-competitive-platform-fighter/
>>
>>320731318
It's called "Wavedash", which is a fan assigned term to a mechanic that exists in a Nintendo game. While it isn't copywriting per say, it's not hard to figure out they took that name from Melee that was created by the community. That alone isn't grounds for a lawsuit, but it is a strong case to begin one, and with more evidence can do them in. Personally, I think it's stupid they think they are going to make a Smash derivative and make money off of it, but not like that's going to change anything.
>>
>>320731565
it'll be hilarious if they come back after it's failure
which is a shame, I don't want them to fail. I hope they do create a great competitive smash-like that gets really popular. It just won't happen though
>>
>>320731741
>copywriting
>>
>>320731741
>>320731318
Honestly, it was acceptable when they modded Brawl because it was a community project to take a game and tweak it better, not charge a dime for it, and have the community play it.
Making an "original" game, calling it their own, and making money off of it (the biggest problem) is the biggest issue here. I don't want to support that, because when you start making money off someone else's concept is where I draw the line.
>>
File: 1394894707021.jpg (21 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1394894707021.jpg
21 KB, 400x300
>>320731741
it doesn't work that way with videogames. unless they somehow trademarked the base gameplay of smash, any other company can make a smash clone.

imagine if capcom sued the 100's of street fighter clones.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.