[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
kek
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 5
File: darksouls.png (270 KB, 1188x798) Image search: [Google]
darksouls.png
270 KB, 1188x798
kek
>>
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/47349/dark-souls/
>>
>>320676986
I wonder how many people buy this game just to be able to say "I own dark souls, I'm a true gamer".
>>
I find it funny that the PC version releases six months later and wasn't planned initially and it becomes the best selling version.
>>
>>320677303

That's what I did.

Bought Prepare to Die Edition and have only launched it once.
>>
>>320677759
kill yourself, or at least actually play it first and then kill yourself
>>
The numbers say that but why is the ps3 version always more popular online

Kind of understandable though with DSfix and all that
>>
>>320677303
Most people have no idea what Dark Souls is. If you think it's a household name like Skyrim you are mistaken.

>>320676986
OP, that number for PC doesn't include physical and other retailers. Some people never migrated from GFWL like me

>>320677553
Games like Dark Souls have strong sleeper sales on Steam but many of those people don't end up playing the game they just pick it up on a sale. From don't care tho. Free money on a 4 year old game lol
>>
>>320676986
>steamspy
>>
DaS goes on sale all the time for like 5 bucks, of course more people own it when you can't even buy it new anymore
>>
>>320677979
http://steamspy.com/app/211420

A lot of people have played in the last week.
>>
>>320676986
>Genre: Role-Playing
>>
>>320677979
>The numbers say that but why is the ps3 version always more popular online

You got any hard ps3 numbers or are you just pulling shit out of your ass?
>>
>>320676986
I like how people claim Bloodborne was a flop, yet it sold just as many copies on a much smaller install base.
>>
>>320678115
Very accurate.
>>
>>320678015
>never migrated from GFWL
It's still alive over there?
>>
>>320677303
All of them, Dark Souls is such a meme title holy shit.
>>
>>320678015
>Most people have no idea what Dark Souls is.
Fuck off.
>>
I think it's because of the Christmas sales. I had it on ps3 initially and even I bought the PC version. What was it, like 5.99?
>>
Most console game sales are full price or near full price, because sales don't factor in resales.

Track how many copies of that 2m+ is 5 dollar Souls on sale.
>>
>>320678118
5 bucks on steam is still better than 0 bucks on consoles where the second hand marked suffocates any chance of long term sales. Like would anyone be crazy enough to buy Dark Souls in 2015 on PS3/Xbox for 20 bucks new when you can get it 5 bucks pre-owned. 0 bucks of which go to dev/publisher
>>
>>320676986
>look at all these sales at 4.99 guys, we did it!
r/pcmasterrace represent
>>
>>320676986
I was recommended the dark souls when the prepare to die edition was on sale.
Spent the first 3 hours trying to beat up the skeletons in the graveyard before my friend pointed me towards undead burg.
The minotaur boss jumped off the ledge
I tank n spanked the first knight guy and got the black knight greatsword which became my weapon of choice.
I required so much help because I'd get lost so often it was pathetic.
>>
>>320678257
No, I play the pirated version and keep my physical collectors sealed cause autism. I thought about double dipping and getting it for 5 bucks on Steam but I don't use Steam and never cared for PvP in any of the Souls games.
>>
>>320678419
>>320678393
>>320678118
These, I know I bought it dirt cheap. Add in the gabe tax and they really haven't made as much revenue as you think. I can understand why From is still making PS exclusive games.
>>
>>320677293
>vgcharts
>meaning fucking anything
>>
>>320678382
Trust me. You get this delusion because /v/ has been Souls central for years. Apart for some bandwagoners and kids on youtube no one knows about Souls in general.

It's a mid popular series. AA not AAA no matter how much Sony/Bamco might wish otherwise.
>>
>ConsoleOnlyPlebs using how cheap you can get games on PC as an argument against PC
Must be sad living a life without a computer.
>>
>>320677856
Poorfag detected
>>
>>320678268
What does that even mean?
>>
>>320678951
poser who started playing vidya in 2008 detected
>>
Someone post the stats that show the % of players who did certain things.

Something like 20% didn't even light the first Bonfire.
>>
>>320678884
Literally pulling bullshit out of your ass and trying to spread it.
>>
>>320678927
>pc secondaries think buying a game for 5 bucks is supporting the developers
>>
>>320679023
i kno u r butt what m i? jejeje
>>
>>320678419
It's worth pointing out that developers get a higher proportion of sales from digital games than physical copies since they don't have to pay the costs associated with physical releases. Console games do cost more at release, but even if all of those 2 million sales on steam were at 4.99 that's still a pretty good amount of money.

>>320679078
You know that's because people didn't bother to transfer their achievements from GFWL, right?
>>
>>320679078
They added achievements to Steam two years after Dark Souls 1 launched.
Of course achievement rates are low.
>>
>>320679139
>Console shiteaters think buying used games is supporting the developers.
>>
>>320677553
Why haven't Namco released it for Xbox One or PS4 yet?
>>
>>320679252
No one said that though secondary. Console players actually buy their games for full price because they're not poor.
>>
>>320678471
One million times 20 bucks is more money than two million times 9
>>
>>320679087
Holy fuck do you know what you are talking about? Dark Souls is nothing like Skyrim or Fallout 4 with 10 million sales on the first week. Or GTA or even free2play crap like DOTA and so on.

Souls are semi niche. They are no longer obscure japanese game tier like DeS initially was but it's currently just a bit better that Dead Space. So basically niche action horror tier. It's not a heavy hitter neither has any "status" related to it.
>>
>>320679362
>Consoles are better because you can buy the games at $60 instead of $5
Wow, sure convinced me faggot.
>>
>>320679362
>not poor
>can't afford a PC

next you will say they don't buy them on purpose even though they can consistently buy games at $600 for their $300 consoles, gud shit
>>
>>320679662
There's a reason why PC plebs only get console scraps.
>>
>>320679526
Until you have real revenue numbers for each platform from Namco/Sony it's all just guess work. What is even the debate here? Which platform makes more money? Why would it matter?
>>
>>320679265
Because it'll be remastered.

After Demon's Souls is.
>>
>>320679626
>Dark Souls doesn't sell as well as Bethesda games, that means nobody knows about Dark Souls
Get your head out of your ass you fucking retard.
>>
>>320679362

Mostly because they bought into a shitbox and have no other choice. There's always a few pc users who buy at full price on steam at release date but defiantly not as many as console tards.

In any case steam doesn't take as much of a cut from the sales as sony and the retailers do so it might balance out in the end given that profits from used games don't reach the developers at all.
>>
>>320679730
That's the reason why all the best selling consoles games are ports from last gen. Console kiddies love getting shafted at every moment, then brag about it on /v/.
>>
>>320679827
Yeah man you keep buying games at 5 dollars and I'll keep buying games for full price, and we'll see who the devs prioritize.
Pro tip: its not pc
>>
>>320677303
To be fair, it was in at least one humble bundle
>>
>>320678175
Voiceless protagonist means it's a better role-playing experience than FO4 at least :^)
>>
>>320679806
Okay, shitforbrains. How many people know about Dark Souls? It's barely Devil May Cry tier. Just a bit better at most. Better than Guilty Gear or random fighter tier. But far worse than Metal Gear or other series in the high mids of popularity.

It's a series held together by dedicated fans and a few casual. Profitable enough to make sequels and a few knock-off and it's "hip" genre wise right now.

You have an illusion that it's more than it is just because news sites and youtubers pander to the few who actually know about it and make so much noise, you think it's something significant.
>>
File: Prepare to collect dust.jpg (8 KB, 391x112) Image search: [Google]
Prepare to collect dust.jpg
8 KB, 391x112
>>320677303
Ha ha! Whatever are you talking about?
>>
>>320677293
No digital included. Also I remember from soft released data and ps3 version sold over 2.5 m retail
>>
>>320680073

It actually that attitude that got you guys in the trap of paying for online this gen and you guys actually defended it. The companies know you are gullible as fuck which is why they gut console users for all you are worth.

But games like witcher 3, fallout 4, mgs v and other high profile releases have recently come out same day. It's only when a console figurehead steps in that a delay happens since sony can pay off a dev or come to an agreement. See kojimas next game. PC has no figurehead or spokesperson since it's not an owned company so there's no one to do the same with.

Also you fail to notice that there are a good number of pc users that have a secondary console to game with. These are the people that will double dip and buy the same game twice. You really think a 300 box is too expensive for them?
>>
>>320680457
>year listed first
>ohshitniggerwhatareyoudoing.jpg
>>
>>320676986
vgchartz doesn't do digital though
>>
>>320680609
That's the downside to playing Japanese eroge without being detected as a foreigner.
>>
>>320679723
Yep. Consoles are basically a prolonged payment deal. You pay less initially because you can't afford more at once and then pay more but in chunks with each game/online payment. It's more affordable for people with lower incomes.

Console only players like to make it out "like the only true patricians supporting the industry"
>>
>>320680893
>downside
It's one of the two logical date formats though
You should be thankful
>>
>>320677293
>vgchartz

retard alert

remember the time some indie game was delayed a week and they didn't get the memo but still put up some bullshit about it selling 30k?

fun times
>>
>>320681350
No, I don't. Care to share?
>>
yeah according to the steam cheves only 42% of players have lit the first bonfire

and like 10% have killed most of the bosses up to Priscilla
>>
>>320681504
I beat the game before steam achievements were added
>>
>>320678884
>Trust me.
Why? It's obvious you don't have interaction with people outside of /v/.
>>
>>320681504

Achievements were added 2 years later after it launched
>>
>>320681615
>>320681682

oh shit you're right

when gfwl got patched out
>>
>>320677303
This is the biggest boogeyman "I want to complain about stuff, so I made up a reason" I've seen today.

>"I own dark souls, I'm a true gamer".
Said literally no one ever.

This isn't Skyrim where people pretend to play it and make "Arrow in the knee" jokes to fit in.

Which isn't necessarily good. It means all the "praise the sun" memers don't even do it ironically.
>>
>2 million sales at 5 dollars a pop
>vs a million sales at 60 dollars a pop
Gee, I wonder why more games aren't on PC?
>>
>>320679008
meme title = a game that I don't like that is very popular/has gotten a lot of attention
>>
>>320680558
Pc does have a figure head. And he even managed to get you all to agree to renting digital licenses instead of actually owning your games.
>>
>>320681634
>Why? It's obvious you don't have interaction with people outside of /v/.
Are you talking about yourself by chance and made a mistake because you obviously never looked farther than your nose or /v/.

Absolutely no one of the people I know knew about Dark Souls. The few that do now know it only because of me and I know it only because of /v/.

I think there was this one single friend I knew who I recently found out was excited about DaS 3 and knew it on his own but he is grade A "loser /v/" material so I'm not surprised.

Normal people outside this board have no idea what Souls is. Let alone Dark Souls. Apart from a few redditors now a days and the random let's play subscriber.
>>
>>320681924
It's pretty hilarious that companies like Sony rip off consumers, but then use that money to attract devs.

Meanwhile Gaben, the "savior" of PC gaymen, has literally created a stockmarket based on autistic sperglords gambling away money for intangible hats, that's now utterly filled with Russian scammers attempting to break into your account if you have any item worth imaginary money.

So he's making insane money off his 30% fee, and he hasn't put a cent of that into gaming for years. There's no investment side of Valve, they're unlikely to even be working on anything aside from ways to improve how much money they make from their economy.
>>
>>320682375
>My anecdotal evidence is better than your anecdotal evidence!
Cool story bro.
>>
File: bro.png (208 KB, 949x784) Image search: [Google]
bro.png
208 KB, 949x784
>>320677553

DELETE THIS
>>
>>320681924
>He thinks he "owns a game" because he has a physical copy
Maybe educate yourself about copyright law one of these days. Of course your confusion comes from applying regular logic to intangible goods.
>>
>>320682694
>C-can we mm-make this a dr- a dr-dddraw?

Suck it down.
>>
>>320683247
>stutter posting
>>
>>320682458
Valve has been investing buttloads of money into gaming and the industry. But not into actual games, sadly. But that is just recently and even then just semi-true because they did make Dota 2 so let's say: haven't invested in good games, recently.

Sony also does shit like that but someone as biased as you wouldn't be able to see it.
>>
>>320681924

He's not the figurehead and hasn't been for a while when other distribution platforms exist like gog, origins and GFWL 2.0 exist. Plus he doesn't actually own the PC at all like sony does the PS brand so no that doesn't work.

>>320682458

I agree with you here which is why I use GOG whenever possible since CDPR still makes games I want to play (for now). But gabe/valve does still make games just those that cater to the dota type players which isn't my cup of tea but others seem to like it. He did however save a dying pc environment so I'll give him that but that is all. Also steam as a whole is still worth less than sony at 1.5 billion so they can't up and pay off devs like sony can or take risks. Even sony is struggling with buying full exclusives these day and is often attempting the we let our devs work on the game thing. Not to mention MS having all those funds and buying garbage like Minecraft when they could have bought truly good IPs.
>>
>>320681832
>Has most games
>DD and a bunch of the only good console games are coming to PC
>N-No one wants to develope for it!
>>
>>320679078
I remember there was a huge drop at capra demon
>>
>>320684847
>Dragon's Dogma
>good

Nice meme
>>
>>320676986
>OP posts vgchartz
>HAHA CONSOLENIGGERS BTFO
>>320677293
>someone else posts vgchartz
>HURR VGCHARTZ DURR
>>
>>320676986
This game was literally $2 on Steam at one point
>>
>>320684027
>He did however save a dying pc environment
This is what revisionist morons actually believe. You bought a game in a store, installed it, and spent 2 seconds installing the latest patch.

Now, PC gaming is an absolute clusterfuck of ads and slow, unresponsive software. I've got Steam on a fucking SSD, it'll still lock up occasionally. From a program that literally just has to sit there, and check for updates every few hours, it's hilariously bad. If I want to play a new game, I have to wait a few minutes for it to try and install all the retard proof garbage like DirectX, instead of just being able to play my game because I know I'm up to date on that crap.

Why, after a decade, is there no option to scan for those pre-requisites, and then only bother doing the first time install for additional programs the game needs?

Because Steam is a service that's "just barely good enough". I think the new crop of consoles are absolute garbage, but they introduced the ability to play a fucking game as it's downloading. That's miles ahead of Steam, why can't they do that for select titles?
>>
>>320685653
>I've got Steam on a fucking SSD, it'll still lock up occasionally.
i have never had steam lock up on me. Ever. this sounds like a 'you' problem.
>>
>>320685937
Over multiple builds, over a decade, it's still a piece of shit. The most recent lockup was literally a few days ago, I felt like opening it up for something and it was stuck on an "updating steam..." pop-up. I left it for 10 minutes before I just ended the process.

Maybe if you're the kind of casual shitter who shuts off his PC every fucking night like a child, you wouldn't run into these kinds of issues. But sane people just use sleep mode.

Windows crashes less often than Steam. It's a joke of a program. Not only that, but it's a fucking hassle to use. If I want to check a different tab, it has to boot up the shitty proprietary browser, then query the fucking internet to find me some ads, it's routinely a 10 second process. That's improved since a switch to an SSD, but plenty of people are still running this shit on HDDs.
>>
>>320686518
>sane people just use sleep mode
:^)
>>
File: 1435095830475.jpg (49 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
1435095830475.jpg
49 KB, 500x334
>>320686518
>Maybe if you're the kind of casual shitter who shuts off his PC every fucking night like a child
>But sane people just use sleep mode.
nigger what?
My OS is on an SSD, so it only take 30 seconds to boot up. If that's not fast enough for you, then you are on a whole new level of retarded.
>>
It doesn't matter because PCbabbies have proven to have been the worst Souls players among the three platforms.

Why are you shitters so fucking BAD at video games?
>>
>>320686740
>30
Dude I get those boot times running from a regular hard drive (os in the outermost cilinder), what are you doing?
>>
>>320688402
i have a big rig with a lot of shit on it.
>>
>>320686518
>I run into issues
>you, a child, doesn't run into issues
literally outsmarted by a child
>>
>>320678884
What the fuck ?
bloodborne is AAA game and everybody knows that
bloodborne is popular
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.