[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished the shadowrun returns and wasn't too satisfied
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: 12[1].png (640 KB, 920x430) Image search: [Google]
12[1].png
640 KB, 920x430
Just finished the shadowrun returns and wasn't too satisfied by the story (specifically the end) but still interested in playing a couple more campaigns. Is the dlc any decent? Are the fan made campaigns worth playing? Apart from that, general shadowrun/cyberpunk thread
>>
>>320660348
In terms of the official series, it goes Dragonfall>Hong Kong>Returns

Not tried much of the mods, so can't really comment on them.
>>
>>320660348
In fact, here have hongkong, since I have spares.

RAD07-4LTMH-348FL
>>
>>320660348
Finished Dragonfall, that was some good shit. Starting Hong Kong, they seem to have implemented a lot of needed features which is nice. Haven't played SR:returns though.
>>
File: 1728811-cyberpunk_2_1680x1050[1].jpg (367 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1728811-cyberpunk_2_1680x1050[1].jpg
367 KB, 1680x1050
>>320660951
already been activated friend but thanks anyways

>>320660824
>>320661082
thanks brehs

gonna bump with some art and thoughts on sr:returns
>>
>>320660951
have any more?
>>
>>320661258
Try this one

J0HBW-5TG5Z-Y4WKT
>>
>>320661398
already activated
>>
>>320661398

Post them in an image or bots just grab them up.
>>
Dragonfall is pretty fucking good.
>>
warning: some minor sr:returns below, gonna spoiler more major plot points

Going to start at the beginning here: As far as cyberpunk games go I hadn't played any before this but I've watched and read akira and watched GitS so I'm by no means a complete stranger to the genre. The game started off not too strongly but definitely had enough substance to grip me in, I have to say the progression of: look through contacts (see everyone you know is missing/dead) -> get call from missing contact ->find out they as well are dead->flashback tutorial sequence somehow manage to settle in the shittyness of the situation, not an easy thing to do. The tutorial itself gave some nice cyberpunk lowlife flavor even though it lasted 20 minutes top. Obviously wasn't particularly attached to any of the characters but the betrayal/escape gave myself an identity as a survivor/scrapper and the same for sam watts, which now that i think about it is probably what had the biggest effect on making me give a shit about his death

>>320661398
thanks!

>>320661586
:^)
>>
>>320660348

Pretty much this OP: >>320660824

Dragonfall was my favourite, but Hong Kong is also pretty good (the latter is very wordy though, just FYI). There's no decent mage character in either Dragonfall or Hong Kong though, although you can easily get through the games without one.
>>
Just play the Genesis one.
>>
>>320662348
>>320660824
tfw I prefer Hong Kong over Shadowfall
>>
im gonna retroactively say that >>320662182
was entitled part1 : introduction and tutorial
(also worth noting that it was nice that there was very little handholding)

part2: morgue and barrens

first dwarf character here, second "metahuman" character (counting the orc from the tutorial and excluding player race) and its at this point that I realized how little hammed up the races were, maybe the change in setting was all it really took to get rid of tolkenian archetypes but whatever it was was certainly refreshing. Character portraits are put in your face enough that there's a definite feeling of variety in the inhabitants of the world and the lack of cheap tropes meant that it didnt ever feel like there were only ever 4-5 characters (one for each race, with each member of that race being a slight variant). I had heard about the magic/tech fusion of shadowrun before i started playing and it wasn't very exciting to me but the way magic played second fiddle to the tech worked real well. It accented the grittiness/spiritlessness of the tech by pulling out the spirituality and making it its own thing if that makes any sense. The explanation of all the races being "metahumans" was a nice touch there too, vague enough to let the player to his imagination but still connected the fantastical aspect of different races to the vaguely scientific notion of "metahumanity", suggesting that the races are a result of some experiment or scientific program or whatever it may be.

Anyways, back to the morgue. Nothing too impressive there, at least it didn't really provide anything i feel that was particularly important that had to take place in the morgue. The exception of course is jake hiding in the coffin thing. Little bit of a surprising introduction there and not a huge twist or anything but it helped pop jake out of the world, which is good considering he's your first real companion. Comment too long so i'll continue in the next post
>>
>>320664027
Well I believe in Shadowrun lore when the awakening happened some people actually changed into elves, trolls, orcs, or dwarfs thus came the term metahumans. Though there can be posers.
>>
>>320662348
>mage
went through all of the sr:returns without one. Never seemed anymore useful then guns, but then again i played on normal

gonna stop after this because sr:hongkong finished downloading and im eager to get started.
morgue and barrens cont.
At this point another recurring character is introduced, mr. troll policeman. Not a particularly captivating character but does his job well enough. Illustrates the dullness of the regular police-force and not a very pleasant character which solidifies the players anti-authoritarian "roots". I couldn't help feeling at this point that the dwarf coroner was being a bit too pliant with information/helpfulness but the plot had to advance one way or another. Still, it would have been more fitting if he had a more surly attitude, like told you to "get out of here and take jake with you I've had enough of living people for a day" type attitude. It's a little crude sure but done right it would have helped make it feel like you and jake were all alone against the cruel world. Anyways you make it out of the morgue and enter the first large area. Not much to see here which is to be expected of a relatively small game (aka not AAA). Just the main quest which had 3 parts: find stash, kill bandits, investigate crime scene and also a little seperate encounter with a bandit in the north to help out the shopkeepers. Nothing to complicated with the main quest but it is contained in a nice ark: little bit of action, big bit of action, talk and think about clues. Bandits are simple thugs. A little bit of representation of the various classes and races but nothing besides that. A very 1 dimensional group. Would have been nice for them to present a sympathetic side, not necessarily a sob story or anything of the like but something to make to join their group, something like: "hey youre a pretty bad dude why dont you come with us we have plenty of money drugs weapons and women fuck yeah"
>>
File: cyberpunk[1].jpg (704 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk[1].jpg
704 KB, 1920x1080
>>320665696

damn this is taking me a lot longer to talk about than i anticipated, should i post again it'll definitely be in more general terms, themes etc.

barrens cont.

after the encounter with the bandits comes the investigation. At this point you're on your own. Large amount of mystery is built up at this point. Was it magic? was it some regular stabbing? Not likely but then again nothing is familiar at this point. Cop and the homeless guy are fairly straightforward characters which is to be expected honestly but there was a whole lot of room for improvement. Maybe show some of the dirtyness in low-ranking cops? have the cop shoot the hobo or maybe even the other way around, maybe have the option to steal some drugs off the hobo and pay off the guard with them. Regardless, it was at this point that the plot really gets rolling. The hub of the campaign is introduced and so is the main mystery. Everything felt suspiciously close together (all within a couple blocks) but once again thats to be expected of a smallish world. The entourage of merchants surrounding the union is technically part of the barrens and helps like the union and barrens together, make it feel like a real world. Apart from that there's not too much to be said.

I'm off to play me some vidya gaems now but feel free to post and discuss cyberpunk/shadowrun, always good to hear what fellow anons think and once again thanks to >>320661398 for the code
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.