[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So playing Bloodborne turned me on to Lovecraft. I started reading/listening
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 32
File: definition-lovecraftian.png (178 KB, 604x270) Image search: [Google]
definition-lovecraftian.png
178 KB, 604x270
So playing Bloodborne turned me on to Lovecraft. I started reading/listening to his work, and I'm really enjoying it and want more. What other games have this theme?

I really loved the atmosphere in BB, but at the same time Lovecraft's shit is all about being completely overshadowed and hopeless, and you don't really get that vibe when you can just kill the shit out of everything.
>>
>>320644009
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
>>
http://store.steampowered.com/app/22340/
>>
File: 034-480x319.jpg (22 KB, 480x319) Image search: [Google]
034-480x319.jpg
22 KB, 480x319
>tfw Miyazaki does Lovecraft better than Lovecraft

IS THERE ANYTHING THIS MAN CAN'T DO?!
>>
>>320644195
Cyberpunk souls when
>>
>>320644195
He's a cute gook
>>
>>320644009

There's that one Call of Cthulhu game, the later parts of it suck though.

If you've got the tolerance for shit graphics and (mostly) adventure games, Croshaw's Chzo Mythos series is actually quite good.

Honestly things like Silent Hill get the vibe down better than most. We still have no definitive Lovecraft game.

Lovecraft is hard to read after a while, be warned. He's not a great writer for the most part, he is just really good at the unknowable horror stuff. And while it's understandable others really wanted to build on and learn more about the world concept he created, the fanfiction culture around Lovecraft has become pretty obnoxious.
>>
>>320644195

A game with stable framerate
>>
>>320644602
>the fanfiction culture around Lovecraft has become pretty obnoxious.

How so? I'm pretty new to his stuff.
>>
Darkest Dungeon. In fact I don't know which one is ripping off the other.
>>
>>320644602
I kind of feel the same way about Robert E Howard's Conan stories. I absolutely adored his original work, but no one else ever seems to get the character or tone correct despite being so popular
>>
>>320644602
>the later parts suck though
Am I the only one that like it the whole way through? ;-;
>>
>>320644009
THE BLACKEST OF THE AFRICAN VOODOO CIRCLES!
>>
>>320644602
The good part about Lovecraft is his stuff mostly consists of short stories. Yea, he's super verbose and it can get pretty tiresome after a while, but for the format he chose it works really, really well.
>>
>>320644935

Howard Philips "kill a Zulu to summon Cthulhu" Lovecraft
>>
>>320644009

I liked lovecraft in my teens, but his work is kind of shitty.

"There is this thing, a big scary thing, it's so big and scary that you like can't even comprehend how big and scary it is, so you go crazy"

He's an important figure for "inventing" strange fiction, not for being a good writer.
>>
>>320644602
I bought one of those big ol' compilation books that contains all of lovecrafts works and made the mistake of reading large chunks of it all at once.

I feel as though his stories work better as seriels, like some of them were originally written as. When you read them back to back you start realizing how same-y they can get.
>>
>>320644872

Schwarzenegger left an impact we'll likely never see changed. That MMO tried, but it was an MMO.

>>320645379

Agreed. They should be read casually and very spaced apart.
>>
>>320644009

Oh and Eternal Darkness for gamecube is supposed to be good along those lines. And Amnesia fits.
>>
File: OuterEntityNyarla-EP14-JP-R.png (335 KB, 308x448) Image search: [Google]
OuterEntityNyarla-EP14-JP-R.png
335 KB, 308x448
>tfw the only relevant decks that use Nyarla are dead
>>
https://vimeo.com/30798517

Relevant animation to Cthulhu. Captures the feeling of it better than most stuff I've seen.
>>
File: i-am-a-hero-5825901.jpg (302 KB, 1200x853) Image search: [Google]
i-am-a-hero-5825901.jpg
302 KB, 1200x853
Read I am Hero.
>>
>>320646698
Is this some Junji Ito shit or something? I've never heard of this.
>>
>>320645951
Im really impressed that they actually made Lovecraftian cards. Hope they keep coming
>>
>>320644009
>I started reading/listening to his work,

Nigga, be honest. You're probably listening to audio books or radio dramas. People nowadays can't even read Lovecraft because they don't have the attention span.
>>
>>320644009
Even though Halo officially sucks now, the Forerunner trilogy of books are actually very Lovecraft. Very good books.
>>
File: MTK1.jpg (92 KB, 460x443) Image search: [Google]
MTK1.jpg
92 KB, 460x443
>>320644009
>mfw At the Mountains of Madness
>>
>>320644602
SPC series that are read in a interesting form yet also spooky and eerie.

>>320644816
That too. Another game is as others have stated, amnesia the dark descent. I was lucky to have gotten into a lovecraft and just got hyped up for it.

It reminded me alot from the book :the hound, and where the swedish translation was misread by me. Its where lovecraft writes a guy in some big wide forest. He cant remember where he is. He sees a giant tower that stretches far above he cant see. He climbs and climbs and elaborates the details of it. Then he climbs up.

He reaches the top and sees alot of guests and people there, once they see him they scream and they run off.

He cautuiosly looks around, then I remember a part where it said in detail how he got scared and his hands touched and he felt the distinct sensoary input of glass.

At first I thought amnesia was like this, something is constantly chasing you, and when you look out, its a giant forest and gigantic fog, so you also feel like you are in that tower or giant house.

Of course since i misread it and read it in english again, that "glass" was as mirror.
>>
>>320644009
It'd be a pretty shitty game if you were rendered helpless. Souls games have always been about a singular underdog fighting against much more powerful foes. If anything this type of story works best with Lovecraft because it's such a contrast.

I like Bloodborne because your character just comes out of fucking nowhere and fucks everything up. A random person from somewhere else in the world comes to Yharnam looking for a cure to some disease, and ends up becoming a badass hunter who resists becoming blood-addled, stares beasts, other hunters, and cosmic entities in the face, and totally wipes the floor with all of them.

The entire status-quo turned on its head because some asshole tourist showed up and decided they were gonna take this hunter shtick to its logical conclusion. Does it get any cooler than that?
>>
>>320644602
>There's that one Call of Cthulhu game, the later parts of it suck though.
Nigga, everything after you find that mirror is a hallucination.

>>320644769
It's just people screaming CTHULHU all over again who have probably never actually read any of Lovecraft's works.
>>
File: I.Am.a.Hero.full.1422715.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1420) Image search: [Google]
I.Am.a.Hero.full.1422715.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1420
>>320646965
Much more fleshed out than an Ito story, like 15 volumes or so. The art is better too imo.
>>
>>320647240
Oh and he knew about niggers. Read "The horrors from red hook"

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.
>>
>>320644667
Underrated post
>>
>>320644102
>>320644124
Dark Corners of the Earth does great at the beginning when it's just "Shadow over Innsmouth" but doesn't hold up all the way through.

I haven't found any games to be "Lovecraftian" really though, a lot try, like Sunless Sea, but I think they all fail. I mean, what can even be translated into a game from his stories?

Shadow Over Innsmouth - Dude hears a story, runs away from stuff (the DCOTE sequence in the hotel is 1:1 from the books, the one stand out part of the game)
Colour out of Space - Dude hears a story about people suffering
Call of Cthulhu - Dude hears a bunch of stories, then travels to Norway to read a diary.
Whisperer in the Darkness - Dude reads/writes a bunch of letters, strange shit happens at the end

I love all these stories, but they won't ever make good games. The best a game could do is some point and click adventure type stuff. Stop looking for "Lovecraftian" stuff, it's just a tag to sell us shitty games.
>>
File: 61Y36fMcDML.jpg (75 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
61Y36fMcDML.jpg
75 KB, 500x500
>>320647125
Now that you mention it, Dark Adventure Radio Theatre group has done AMAZING radio dramas of Lovecraft's works. Each is about an hour long and definitely an experience because they're not just read audio books and each kinda gives its own perspective on the original work. Look them because I pity anyone who actually listens to Lovecraft's books in audio format considering he was verbose as fuck.
>>
File: JAn78sB.jpg (328 KB, 701x1023) Image search: [Google]
JAn78sB.jpg
328 KB, 701x1023
>>320646976
Theyre fucking broken for the most part, but the tightest shit
>>
>>320647462

>It's just people screaming CTHULHU all over again who have probably never actually read any of Lovecraft's works.

That, and also the building of a whole pantheon of things and different Old Ones with different traits/spheres. They miss the point of it being unknowable.
>>
>>320648003
>They miss the point of it being unknowable.
that's not exactly true

people worship Dagon (obviously), Cthulhu (his dreams slip into people's dreams), Nyarly just goes around and fucks with humans since he's interested in them

Mi-Gos literally employ human agents to help with their business and are pretty knowledgeable about this shit

this knowledge is distilled in books like Necronomicon, Mysteries of the Worm etc.

Like, I don't like the "let's invent a ton of Old Ones" thing, but let's be fair.
>>
>>320647503
Hey man since you're probably fresh on the manga do you remember what chapter it was that they found a onsen and the MC got "eaten"? I remember stopping there because of scanalator drama
>>
>>320647758
>Colour out of Space

I always liked that book.
>>
>>320644602
>tfw reading lovecraft and mcarthy at the same time
it's day and night in terms of writing style.

also, lovecraft doesn't know how to write characters for shit. They're all super stoic intellectuals/academics with the emotional breadth of a pea. He's only really good at mythology.
>>
>>320647503
does it bother anyone else that the perspective of the carriage is all fish eyed but his rifle is dead on balls straight?
>>
Another thing is that lovecraft said that fear is the strongest human emotion, which is true. And the strongest fear is the fear of the unknown.

He might not have known it, but the reason because of it is that the "unknown" might be far worse danger to humans than what we already know, thats why we fear it.

You beat fear by fearing something more.
>>
File: 1424156531744.jpg (224 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1424156531744.jpg
224 KB, 1920x1200
>>320644009
If you liked something as action orientated as Bloodborne, Dead Space has some cosmic horror themes.
>>
>>320648579
It's the best Lovecraft story by far, IMO.
>>
>>320648448
I'm not absolutely certain, but I'd guess around 160 or so? It's almost at 200 now I believe. They've revealed a lot about the reasons behind the outbreak
>>
>>320648858
Thanks man, ill start from there again
>>
>>320648851
Thats correct. Its the creeping slow dread and horror that is the scary part.
>>
Why is the call of cthulhu considered his seminal master-work? It was probably the weakest out of the other 4 I read by him imo. Rats in the Walls and Color out of Space are GOAT.
>>
>>320648579
It's one of my favorites. I think it captures that weirdness of the unknowable force from outside our understanding that Lovecraft is famous for better than any other story.

I like to think the meteor contained some sort of alien consciousness that spread through the soil and water. The family at the farmstead goes crazy because they're invaded by bits of this consciousness, but you can see it's will in the way it makes the plants and trees sway and point toward the doomed farmstead.
>>
>>320648974
It's not. Cthulhu is just a extremely memorable and very recognizable.

The first part of it is also great, the second one good, it's the third one that kinda slips.
>>
>>320648974
It's got a more "fun" easy to read quality to it. His writing had improved more at that point in his career so the prose has a better flow. More importantly the stuff with the cults, detectives, raids on swamp voodoo rituals etc all appeals to a certain 1920s action sensibility.
>>
File: 031.jpg (164 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
031.jpg
164 KB, 1280x720
>>320644009
here's a good chinese show about three of Cthulu's friends and a chink boy. Although Cthulu never shows up...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyaruko:_Crawling_with_Love
>>
>>320648579
I also like the Dunwich Horror, mainly because it features protagonists who don't instantly lose their fucking minds and can actually put two and two together in order to fight back. In a refreshing turn of events humans actually win.
>>
>>320648778
>We'll never get an actual ending

feels bad man
>>
>>320649584
My favorite part of the Dunwich Horror is when our evil scheming villian gets fucking killed by an ordinary dog when he tries to break into the university library. That kind of dynamic where a being is powerful in a supernatural sense but an out of place, maladapted weakling in our own world is really interesting. He does the same thing in Whisperer in the Darkness, where some of the Migo get fucked up by dogs.
>>
>>320650087
Tbh the person in question is a half-breed and not a huge monstrous half-breed like the other one. And individual Mi-Gos are weak, the scary thing is that there are tons of them and the tech/magic they possess can fuck up humanity relatively easily.
>>
Why is the dream cycle so fucking good
>>
>>320647237
Elder Things were the shit. Even protagonists acknowledge it.
>>
>>320651265
They were actually good guys
>>
File: 1263791532744.jpg (216 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1263791532744.jpg
216 KB, 1024x768
Delta Green vidya when?
>>
>>320651552
I've heard about this before, what good stuff is there to check out regarding Delta Green? I read some of the short stories on their site and wasn't amazed, but a few were decent.
>>
>>320651552
>dat opening fiction when the "government" is busting into that old Delta Green veteran's hideout as he's sending out his last message

Shit, son. That was a great setting piece.
>>
>>320651552
I know Sawyer from Obsidian really likes Delta Green. I wish they'd make a DG game, a tactical RPG with good writing.
>>
>>320651714
It's a roleplaying game. You read the roleplaying books and comb them for stories if you don't care about actual roleplaying.
>>
>>320644009
why is everything related to dreams that Lovecraft wrote so fucking boring?
>>
>>320652035
Dream-quest is his second best though.
>>
>that one story where the last human left dies a pathetic meaningless death

why was Lovecraft so negative about everything?
>>
>>320652035
It's comfy as fuck
>>
>>320651714
>>320651924

Why did moot get rid of /rs/

It was my go-to place for stuff like this
>>
>>320652404
it's boring, all he does is describing settings and that's it, nothing really goes on
>>
>>320652315
The one with the submarine?
>>
File: dg3.jpg (80 KB, 693x414) Image search: [Google]
dg3.jpg
80 KB, 693x414
>>320651552
I like Delta Green because it's a setting update, but one that makes sense for the most part. They didn't just do "Lovecraft in the 90s" - some majors Mythos players are completely gone, some minor one have rise and there are also entirely new dangers.
>>
Man Lovecraft has the curse of his material not being fit for any other form of media.
You can't turn it into movies properly, it's really hard to do in videogames... what the fuck
>>
>lovecraft

Racist fuck, all his work should be banned
>>
>>320654174
instantly reminds me of this
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/nov/09/world-fantasy-award-drops-hp-lovecraft-as-prize-image

>The World Fantasy award trophy will no longer be modelled on HP Lovecraft, it has been announced, following a campaign last year that called the author out as an “avowed racist” with “hideous opinions”.

>“THEY JUST ANNOUNCED THE WORLD FANTASY AWARD WILL NO LONGER BE HP LOVECRAFT. WE DID IT. YOU DID IT. IT’S DONE. YESSSSSSSS,” tweeted Older.

>The writer, who was nominated for best of editor of an anthology for Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History, later told the Guardian by email: “If fantasy as a genre truly wants to embrace all of its fans, and I believe it does, we can’t keep lionising a man who used literature as a weapon against entire races. Writers of colour have always had to struggle with the question of how to love a genre that seems so intent on proving it doesn’t love us back. We raised our voices collectively, en masse, and the World Fantasy folks heard us. Today, fantasy is a better, more inclusive, and stronger genre because of it.”

>the petition asked organisers to make the acclaimed African American science fiction writer Octavia Butler the model for the trophy, rather than Lovecraft, because while the creator of the Cthulhu mythos “did leave a lasting mark on speculative fiction, he was also an avowed racist and a terrible wordsmith”, and “many writers have spoken out about their discomfort with winning an award that lauds someone with such hideous opinion”.
>>
I've been trying to solo Orphan of Kos.

It's not going well. Managed to get him to about 15% but then I fucked up and died.
>>
File: 028.jpg (85 KB, 667x462) Image search: [Google]
028.jpg
85 KB, 667x462
>>320654174
You mean he was pro white and not anti white since anti racism is a euphism for anti white. Especially since most americans dont know what we europeans know because its censored. They dont know that the arab and blacks who enslaved white people and invaded european coastal towns from 1503 to 1780? Then they castrated and genocided the entire white population.
>>
>>320651552
what IIIIISSSS delta green?
>>
>>320654606
Meh, it's kind of understandable that they would pick someone else for this award, maybe at least someone who didn't refer to black people as animals in their work
>>
>>320644667
get a better fucking hardware
>>
>>320654606
Where does this stop.

I'm pretty sure Shakespeare would have hated blacks, women and gays. Do we discredit that too?

And don't get Socrates started on the fucking persians. You'd never hear the end of it.

Any writer from before 1950 is going to be a racist, sexist fuck because everybody was.
>>
>>320654606
i want to kill all niggers, jew and the people who infected this board who defend them
no arguments
only war
>>
File: 1397592862789.jpg (93 KB, 915x960) Image search: [Google]
1397592862789.jpg
93 KB, 915x960
>>320654174

>I can't into historical context
>>
>>320654643

http://www.delta-green.com/what-is-delta-green/
>>
>>320654606
So they replaced Lovecraft with a black literally who?
>>
>>320655050
No, it's some "acclaimed" literal who.
>>
>>320655183
You forgot black.
>>
I realize OP has probably already left this thread, but to anyone still lurking I'd like to recommend Darkest Dungeon.
>>
>>320655841
>early access
I've heard the game is great, but nah. I'll wait until it's actually done
>>
>>320654891
>People are still fighting for Huck Finn to be banned because it has nigger in it
People are stupid, anon.
>>
>>320655983
I think it's on track for a january release, last I heard.
I bought in to the early access about a year or so ago, last holiday sale.
I've got 60-ish hours in it so far, and it's way beyond most other early access games in my opinion.

But I can see why you're holding out. Looking forward to seeing you in DDgen when the game is out.
>>
>>320656027
But if we just ignore the bad things throughout history, then it's just like they never happened!
>>
>>320654823
>get a better ps4

its called a PC
>>
>>320656485

Yeah, that's how it works Anon!
>>
>>320652492
Check the PDF thread on /tg/, or ask for Delta Green stuff there.
>>
I've been thinking of getting into some Lovecraft.
Where do I start with his works? Should I just pick up a collection?
>>
>>320658139
Grab a collection, he didn't actually write a huge amount of stuff. A lot of people are actually thinking of the fucking horrible Derleth fanfiction shit when they think Lovecraft now for some reason.
>>
>>320644667
He had to ask fucking B-team to do it for him.
>>
>>320644009
>I played The Secret World when it came out and it honestly scratched my itch. I have no idea how the game is now tho
>>
>>320659103
Didn't mean to greentext that
>>
>>320650428

His Dream stuff are some of his best. The Strange High House in the Mist and The White Ship are stories I can re-read forever.
>>
>>320658139
Yeah go for a collection. It'll be much cheaper than trying to get all his individual pieces.
They generally come loaded with tons of his lesser known works, plus the ones you'd expect like Call of Cthulu.
>>
>>320659103
>I have no idea how the game is now tho
Base game is mostly the same but with the difficulty curve more of a curve instad of a mountain but If you haven't been around for the extra issues of The Vanishing of Tyler Freeborn A Dream to Kill and the Tokyo stuff then it has gotten even more fucking creepy.
>>
>>320650428
>>320659304
Great taste
I also enjoyed Polaris
>>
>>320659809
Emphasis on creepy though, with each new issue the things get more and more dark since it will show you what the fog was really about and how it actually started
>>
>>320660107
All the people in Kingsmouth are more than utterly fucked and will now slowly go mad and turn into filth creatures instead of a nice quick death. HOORAY FOR AIR-BORNE FILTH!
>>
>>320660472
Yep, when I realized what the drema meant I got really fucking sad, all the people in the academy, the survivors everything, it was all for nothing
>>
Why is Cthulu all anyone knows of Lovecraft? He barely wrote any of the Cthulu mythos, that was almost entirely his circle of friends.
>>
>>320660618
Don't be sad Chuck!

It's all programming. All about being a good drone in the hive. And the buzzing voice is just a cosmic PSA. Dizzying words. THEY talk in riddles, and riddles are just a misdirection, another sort of wall. Tanaka keeps spinning words, terrified of what would happen without the wall. Not me, Chuck. I'll talk straight with you; You'll know this, because I'll tell you things you don't want to hear. Things you might tear your eyes and ears out not to know. You'll be wiser without those, Chuck. Imagine the relief in pressure. Imagine the insight of empty sockets.
Tear down this wall.
See you, Chuck...
>>
>>320660979
That guy was awesome and really creepy, especially now that we freed him, but the part where he fucked Lilith over was cathartic
>>
>>320658139
Protip: buy the Complete Fiction from Barnes & Noble.
It's one big absolutely gorgeous hardcover book with all stories he ever wrote for a pretty cheap price. Bought it as a christmas gift for myself last year and never regretted it, it's fucking great.
>>
>>320660765
August "Cock-sucking sheep-fucking" Derleth is why, he is also why people think you can fight the Old Ones and that they are evil, or even give two shits about the pathetic single-celled organism that is humanity to them.

Lovecraft didn't even call it the Cthulhu Mythos, it was Yog Sothothery to him and even then named that way as a joke.
>>
The one about the room with magic geometry is my favourite.
>>
>>320661409
Nyarly does give a shit.
>>
>ctrl f Dreams in the Witch House
>0 results

Plebeians, all of you
>>
File: these things happen.jpg (317 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
these things happen.jpg
317 KB, 1920x1080
>>320661140
Sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss-I am the truth serum-let me in.
Hiya Chuck. It's John.

Poor Eri. Stuck on an island talking to fake swans. Oh, I'm not suggesting she's gone nutzo, Chuck. Not yet. The Tsukumogami are something else. If an object just sits around long enough, self-awareness seeps in like a virus. It's a virus Chuck. You're infected. You might transmit it sexually. It has crazy side effects. It's 100% fatal.

Do you think sentient objects are nothing but good times, Chuck? Surrounded by friends? Remember when you were a kid, and your parents threw out that old couch, and you cried and cried and didn't know why? You heard the psychic screams. You did nothing to save it. We all did this, Chuck. We are all complicit.

It's happened before. 3.5 billion years ago. Simple organic compounds started changing for no good reason. Soon, those lumps of protein were infected with awareness. Abiogenesis! That's what it sounds like when the rest of the universe looks on and says, "Fuck."
>>
>>320661623
Loved that story
>>
>>320661548
Good taste pham
>>
>>320647323
Isn't it supposed that you, that hunter in particular, was a forgotten great one from the very start and that's why you become Splatoon in the end?
>>
>>320646698
>>320647503
Is this series finished or still ongoing? I hate reading ongoing stuff.
>>
>>320647620
I read that as Agony has 100 boobies and no soul. And I was intrigued.
>>
>>320656571
PC runs bloodborne at 0fps though, that's a 100% worse performance.

I don't understand senpai
>>
>>320661739
No
>>
>>320661567
Yeah but he is just a messenger, even Cthulhu is just a priest of the Outer Gods. We aren't even shit to the things that worship the Outer Gods.
>>
File: moez_dean_stuart.jpg (283 KB, 800x502) Image search: [Google]
moez_dean_stuart.jpg
283 KB, 800x502
>>320661548
>>320661623
>>320661702
>>320661704
Also
>>
>no one recommended saya no uta

come on /v/
>>
>>320662042
He's a pretty powerful entity either way. And I think Dagon does care in some way, at least his children do. Yay, crossbreeding!
>>
>>320662091
Zan is a fucking champ
>>
File: marit-lage.jpg (190 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
marit-lage.jpg
190 KB, 480x680
>>320647958
Post more lovecraft cards.
>>
>>320661242
Thanks for the tip.
Lucky they ship to Australia.
>>
>>320662227
>He's a pretty powerful entity either way
No disputing that. The fact that something like him isn't even that powerful or incomprehensable compared to the Outer Gods make everything even more fucked up.

Also, Yeah, Dagon is kind of like the Mi-Go in that it's a more "natural" something else than the old ones that can fuck up humanity but hasn't gotten around to it yet.

WE ARE ALL FUCKED ALL THE TIME!
>>
>>320662672
>WE ARE ALL FUCKED ALL THE TIME!

Lovecraft in a nutshell.
>>
Just read Edgar Allen Poe. HP Lovecraft is a poor man's Poe anyway.
>>
>>320662672
the Outer Gods are who again? I mean Azatoth is that incomprehensible something that is basically the personification of laws of physics; Yog-Sothoth cares enough to fuck some of our women somehow... no, that was Shub-Niggurath (Ia Shub-Niggurath, The Black Goat with a thousand young!)... Yog is "the key", and I think we can summon it through some rituals... Don't try this at home!
>>
File: 1423760213571.png (460 KB, 565x488) Image search: [Google]
1423760213571.png
460 KB, 565x488
>>320662806
wut
>>
>>320662806
Le tip to you good sir
>>
File: hakaijuu-3699897.jpg (277 KB, 1200x947) Image search: [Google]
hakaijuu-3699897.jpg
277 KB, 1200x947
You should also check out Hakaijuu,

Pretty good lovecraftian imo
>>
>>320662672
Aren't there the Elder Gods who actually protect humans or something?
Can't quite remember
>>
>>320644009
neo-lovecraft fags are the worst
>>
>>320662339

Still the only thing that can independently one-shot a player (Phage and Blightsteel can technically do it too, but Marit Lage is the only one who can do it with raw power). Even Eldrazi can't touch that.
>>
>>320644009
>So playing Bloodborne turned me on to Lovecraft. I started reading/listening to his work

Enjoy reading almost the same story every time

>Doomed narrator brings reader up to speed
>Spooky shit happens
>Doomed narrator is implied to die horribly

Lovecraft's vocabulary was amazing but his original waned like all the best in the business sadly and he was never able to self evaluate, always trying to beat schedules or make the best selling stories he could.
>>
>>320662806
Poe and Lovecrafts subject matters are not even remotely the same.
>>
>>320661739
No, you turn into a squid at the end because you gain a retarded amount of insight and are able to comprehend Eldritch knowledge to such a degree that you become a Great One.
>>
File: 2012-06-27-yogsothoth-1-sketch14.gif (408 KB, 1761x1328) Image search: [Google]
2012-06-27-yogsothoth-1-sketch14.gif
408 KB, 1761x1328
>>320662903
Yog Sothoth is actually pretty based
>>
>>320663207
Atmosphere, dude. Unless you read Lovecraft for le epic monsters.
>>
>>320663090

>I was reading Lovecraft before it was cool

I need a fedora folder.
>>
>>320648601
Thats kind of the point though. Its a classic trope of that kind of horror. You read stuff even in French like Le Horla or other stuff from Motllaupassant and its the same deal.
The reason is that, during the inevitable mindfuck at the end, its way more devastating to the reader if the protagonist has been logical and stoic about it the whole way through, because you know hes not exaggerating the level of horror he's describing.
This works especially well in something like Rats in the Wall, where it kind of casts doubt on the accuracy of the narrators story.
>>
>>320663475
>Motllaupassant
Fucking hell, what am I doing.
Its Maupassant.
>>
>>320663345
>Unless you read Lovecraft for le epic monsters
OP said he got into Lovecraft because of Bloodborne, of course it's for the "le epic monsters" fucking retard.
>>
>>320661679
Did you pla ythe Park game too? It tied nicely into the main game story
>>
>>320663345

Poe was a huge influence on Lovecraft, but by the time Lovecraft established himself his writing is pretty distinct. You might as well call him a poor man's Dunsany, too, since he was another big influence.

Both of those would be silly, of course. The man invented a fucking genre, he's not the poor man's anything. His work (especially his early stuff) had plenty of problems, but I don't think you can honestly challenge its uniqueness.
>>
>>320663906
>The man invented a fucking genre
I'll humor you. What genre would that be?
>>
>>320663991
Lovecraftian horror
>>
>>320664136
Rekt the fuck out in one post
>>
>>320644009
Lovecraft halfassed everything. The best Lovecraftian stuff is derivative from his works, which always need elaboration.
>>
>>320663471
>Look at me I can bandwagon onto what's popular!

Fuck off, sheep.
>>
>>320644009
Eternal Darkness on GCN, it's still fantastic.
>>
>>320664432
So you were reading Weird Tales in the 1930's then?
>>
>>320654904
how about a straight answer, this website is no help at all
>>
>>320663043
More Derleth shit, they are right up there with the fucking princeses and dragons and shit he added in.
>>
>>320663708
Nah, never got around to it. Will do so one day.
>>
File: cthulu.jpg (138 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
cthulu.jpg
138 KB, 1920x1200
>>320644009
That's what made Bloodborne so interesting I think. No one expected it'd be old god/cosmic horror.

Everyone was expecting Van Helsing hunting down werewolves and shit.

There are not many games that can pull off Lovecraft well since most games rely on direct confrontation, combat, etc.
>>
File: OSasvLc.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
OSasvLc.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Fallout 4. There's a dungeon called Dunwich Borers. Reference to "The Dunwich Horror," but besides the events of the game taking place in Massachusetts, it has nothing to do with the story.

As you can imagine, the eldritch "monster" in Fallout 4 is not a fleshy mass of tentacled ropes. But it's still a good place for some supernatural activity.
>>
>>320665042
Is that a face? Hard to see through all the blur and bloom.
>>
>>320665302
Yeah. It's the face of a statue the miners began to dig up before the weird shit started happening at the place.

Also, it's underwater, hence the blur and bloom.
>>
File: banner.jpg (192 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
banner.jpg
192 KB, 960x540
Eldritch is a fun rogue-like game that I never see mentioned on here
>>
>>320666569
It looks like a goofy minecraft game
>>
>>320666801
minecraft didn't invent blocky styled games senpai
>>
>>320666569
it's not rogue-like in the least
>>
File: ._..jpg (2 KB, 125x93) Image search: [Google]
._..jpg
2 KB, 125x93
>>320663042
>read it
>get to the part with the army
>our orders don't include saving civilians

Every time, the are like five, who the fuck cares.
>>
>>320665042
>OP asks for Lovecraft-themed vidya
>Fallout 4

Anon pls. That's a neat easter egg and all, but just no.
>>
File: 1449624385057.png (153 KB, 471x361) Image search: [Google]
1449624385057.png
153 KB, 471x361
>>320667480
uh, yes it is? retard
>>
>>320667840
is it like the game rogue? not at all, you fucking faggot
>>
File: 1404283212485.jpg (40 KB, 450x319) Image search: [Google]
1404283212485.jpg
40 KB, 450x319
>>
File: 1439959246979.gif (3 MB, 491x393) Image search: [Google]
1439959246979.gif
3 MB, 491x393
bait
>>
>>320648448
Spoiler that shit anon, WTF
I was looking forward to reading this
>>
>>320669990
I want you to take notice of the quotes I put on eaten, they mean something
>>
>>320670109
oh..
>>
>>320648778
i must agree on this. Dead Space has many lovecraftian references (specially the marker on its own and what it does)

also that the whole life on the universe has been wiped out by these things gave me that lovecraft type of fear
>>
>Ctrl + f
>no Euclidean
Go play it, it's cheap because it's short, not because it isn't good.
>>
>>320651265
And they way they went was so fucked up. Imagine you invented, like, the perfect vacuum cleaner. Then one day it turns on you and annihilates your race.

Then it makes a series of sapient species out of itself.
>>
>>320644009
clouds look like a women laying on her backside
>>
File: 1246820.jpg (36 KB, 307x475) Image search: [Google]
1246820.jpg
36 KB, 307x475
>>320654606
Lovecraft was a terrible choice for that award anyway. Robert E. Howard would be a more fitting choice, or Tolkien.

I'm a huge fan of Octavia Butler and I'm not sure she's a good fit either, because she wrote mostly sci-fi. And don't get me wrong, the shit she wrote was amazing. But this is the world FANTASY award. Fucking awesome as a series about aliens coming to a ruined earth to interbreed with us is, it's not exactly what I think of when I hear the word "fantasy."
>>
>>320673114

Lovecraft did write a ton of fantasy. Most obviously, everything in the Dream Cycle was pure Dunsanian fantasy, and even in his more traditionally "horror" stories there was considerable bleed-over. He's way more famous for his brand of horror than he is for his fantasy, but it's a pretty large portion of his portfolio, and a big influence on his style even when writing out of genre.

That being said, I don't see why they didn't just make it some kind of silhouette or shape or plaque or something. Making your award into a bust of a person is just asking for people to pull this kind of shit.
Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.