[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where were you when you realized that /v/ was wrong about this game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 11
Where were you when you realized that /v/ was wrong about this game?
>>
The amount of FF13 apologist threads is getting uncomfortable. What's next after this, an increasing number of threads saying Star Ocean 4 wasn't all that bad?
>>
6/10 desu
>>
The story was too confusing, but in terms of characterization it's the best in the series by a considerable margin. I think the issue is that people wanted a normal FF game and got more of a character study. I preferred it this way.
>>
>>320627823
It's just SE preparing for the upcoming XIII trilogy HD edition on ps4, xbone, and pc
At least I hope so, please SE, I want it
>>
>>320628141
>1st playthrough Vanille
>just die you aussie whore
>2nd playthrough Vanille
>oh, shit, it all makes sense now
>>
>>320627823
>The amount of FF13 apologist threads is getting uncomfortable.

this

i have absolutely no life and watched /v/ all day for a decade, i can spot bullshit trends suddenly being forced from a mile away. there's either some ulterior motive or it's just a new generation of fags making terrible threads; from gaia, from foxnews, from reddit, from neogaf, it's always really obvious.

the few people that would actually like it, can stay in their corner and like it, with no need to try and publicly rally it with mass threads.
>>
I never listen to anything people say about anything on the internet anyway. From the start i knew people were just repeating what they read on /v/ or reddit, i dunno.

I liked it a lot, it was a very original game, i was getting tired of the orcs and all that tolkien crap, and the graphics were the best of the 360/ps3 era in my opinion.
>>
>>320628141
>characterization
Do you mean in a realistic, drama-filled way?
Because the only likable character was the nigger.
>>
File: ffffff.jpg (31 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
ffffff.jpg
31 KB, 225x225
>>320627572
Final Fantasy 13 is an umigitated blight on the asshole that is already Final Fantasy.

How bad is it? I mean, people complain about how Square will never make anything as good Final Fantasy 6 or 7, if they were ever that good in the first place. But at least we were garuanteed some kind of ride through an immersive world experience. And you know, some parts of FF13 were pretty good. The graphics were nice. The battle system was alright. Fang's midriff. That's about it!

But those are things you kind of expect out of a Final Fantasy game. What you don't expect is a condensed linear 40-hour loot-hallway, pinned to a story that sounds like was written at the last minute. You know, like Toriyama locked a bunch of artists into seperate rooms, had them work in isolation for years without knowing what the final product was even going to be about, and then wrote a script that was a vehicle to shuttle characters from one portfolio piece to the next. Probably because that's exactly what happened.
>>
>>320628969
Orcs?
>>
>>320628590
>whore

Lesbians can't be whores.
>>
>>320628794
lightning returns is on pc, newfag, people are remembering the games and the hate it got.
>>
File: pepepe.jpg (7 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
pepepe.jpg
7 KB, 250x241
>>320628794
>Making a thread about a game you like is bad!
You are cancer. Go away.
>>
File: 1R7XXkJ.png (57 KB, 625x656) Image search: [Google]
1R7XXkJ.png
57 KB, 625x656
>>320627572
>>
>>320629190
And elves.
>>
>>320627823
That's what happens when a new game releases on PC and people who never tried the original before decide to give it a shot, only to discover that it's actually a pretty damn good game, despite what the vocal haters had to say about it.

Enjoy having shit taste.
>>
>>320629147
FF13's lore isn't that hard to get. Its told fucking poorly though.
>>
>>320628141
The characterization is terrible, they're all made of cardboard who's development consists entirely of eidelon battles. Their motivations change on a whim depending on which level assets the game now requires them to go through. Half the time you need to read a codex to understand why anyone is doing anything.

Sahz is the closest thing to a relatable character, but he's a full citizen of the world so the audience has no one to project themselves onto.
>>
>>320629238
I should have specified that was my recurrent thought during the first few chapters
I didn't know she was a lesbian then
And she kept trying to give Hope a boner to get him to do what she wanted
>>
>>320628141
What's wrong with the story, don't tell me you skipped the data logs too
>>
>>320629147
>FFXIII
>Not an immersive world experience
Found the guy who only played the first five minutes.
>>
>>320629604
I get it, it's cool. I didn't either, then again, I didn't even finish 13.

Does she ever outright go "I'm a lesbian" or is it just cause of context?
>>
>>320629147
When the game got ravaged by reviewers, Toriyama complained that reviewers were being unfair in grading it as an open-world RPG. Instead of its actual genre: "Interactive Movie RPG" . FFFUCK YOUUUU

But yeah this "Interactive Movie RPG" business is the same model that they used for FFX. It's where exploration is sacrificed for the sake of telling a story. Except FF13's story was terribly told, as symbolized by one thing: the crystarium.

Imagine going to see Star Wars, but the ticket guy gives you an encyclopedia. So when you watch the movie, it will pause every once in a while and you gotta spend 10 minutes reading this fucking book. Not for extra information, just basic terms and events to understand the movie's basic plotline. It's a shitty movie experience. At first it seems like a convenience, but the crystarium is just one giant crutch to hold up the game's terrible storytelling.

And don't tell me not to compare FFXIII to a movie, that's exactly what they want it to be.
>>
>>320629585
Don't know what you're talking about, bro, I'm in Chapter 7 right now and the characters' motivations seem pretty consistent to me. At most, we learn more about them as the game goes on, so we might see them in a slightly different light. But the characters themselves are very consistent.
>>
>>320629436
B-but...
>>
I liked how the environments were so poorly thought out that they made characters (including the guy who's afraid of heights) just do standing leaps up mountains because they couldn't think of any other way to get the characters past them.
>>
File: Screen shot H.png (202 KB, 401x301) Image search: [Google]
Screen shot H.png
202 KB, 401x301
Final Fantasy XIII was the pinnacle of jrpg story telling. It included almost every trope imaginable. The gameplay was heavily stylized and was satisfying to command. It was a very very long game. Longer than X and XII.

The futuristic setting that began with VII, VIII, and X (and entered XIII and XV) became the main focus of the final fantasy series. The medieval settings and ideas were given to the Dragon Quest team, leaving final fantasy forever I suppose.

The Point:
Dragon Quest is cooler than final fantasy as a whole, but XIII was better than most dragon quest games.
>>
>>320629848
>Chapter 3
>In separate cutscenes Lightning goes from wanting to save Cocoon, to not caring, to wanting to DESTROY Cocoon, to wanting to save it again within the span of an hour. Hope goes along with each of these decisions because lol straight shota
>>
>>320629790
>Implying I didn't get stuck in canopy wardwalks for half an hour before realizing I was going in circles
>>
>>320629762
She hold hands with her gf, they transform into a monster by fusing their bodies when the monster was supposed to be formed by only one person and then pull an Arith by stopping Cocoon from crashing on the planet
It's visually astounding, I don't think I had ever seen something so spectacular until then
Then Asura's Wrath happened in 2012
>>320629861
He's talking about generic wrpgs with tolkien fantasy
>>
>>320630169
It's like you've never seen a woman
They tend to do this stuff
>>
>>320630169
Well, yes, I'm glad you've noticed that the characters are in a difficult and confusing position with very little reliable information to go off of in making their decisions. If anything, what you just described makes perfect sense, and is exactly what I would expect from a real person given the circumstances.
>>
>>320627572
>listening to /v/ ever

Why would you do this to yourself?
>>
File: ffxjpnIcanfry.png (225 KB, 540x382) Image search: [Google]
ffxjpnIcanfry.png
225 KB, 540x382
>>320629790
You see in a typical fantasy RPG full of strange cultures, creatures, and magic, you need to have a main character that the audience can relate to. Someone who is in the same shoes as the audience, to emulate their perspective.

Lets look at Final Fantasy X, shall we? For all its problems about goofy-ass characters, they at least served a purpose. We were never left confused or deattached from the world of Spira. Tidas is a stranger in a strange land, he exists for the audience to have someone to relate to. He doesn't know anything about Spira, so everyone has to explain shit to him, and by extension things get explained to US, the audience. And the other characters exist to teach us about the world and past events

Yuna is a summoner for the sake of teaching Tidus (ie the audience) the role summoning plays in the world.

Auron exists in order to tell Tidus about past events involving his father

Riku exists in order to tell Tidus about the entire Al Bhed culture.

Wakka exists in order to tell Tidus about Blitzball AND to act out the prejudices that exist in Spira.

These are basic storytelling devices that FFXIII sorely lacked.
>>
>>320630298
You're funny. But really, 13 is a fucking mess and the series jumps around so much it makes me nauseous.
>>
>>320629790
>mixing up crystarium with datalog
Why has this pasta not even fixed? You've had 6 years to just start the game and fix it but no, you have to shitpost
>>
File: tifa.jpg (10 KB, 180x338) Image search: [Google]
tifa.jpg
10 KB, 180x338
>>320629790
FFX was one of my first RPGs, with my first and second being BOF1 and 2. I really liked FFX because, even though it was linear, the story/art/music were all great and I even liked the temple puzzles.

Also the battle system was god tier with character switching and summons being story related.

FFXIII was the first game I bought for my PS3 and I just got so fucking disappointed by it. It seemed to me just a bunch of garbage made to propel Lightning to be something of a female Cloud. I didn't find ONE character interesting in the story and holy fuck that battle system... All you had to do was change paradigms and you couldn't even move the characters to avoid aoe, it was utter garbage, so much that I didn't even touch the other games of the "saga".
>>
>>320630192
Oh alright, I assumed it had something to do with Final fantasy for some reason
>>
>>320630017
L'cie powers include increased magic and physical strength, just go with it
>>
>>320630354
Literally nothing in the environment provokes Lightning to make these dramatic goal changes. It's simply there to justify having Hope and Lightning change direction and traverse different levels.

>>320630174
HOLY SHIT, IT'S LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GO IN CIRCLES

IT'S A SINGLE CORRIDOR
>>
>>320630434
So what you're saying is that you want everything about the plot to be handed to you on a silver platter, rather than having information revealed in a natural way as the characters progress through the story?

Here's the reality about FFXIII. These are all people with their own lives who got caught up in a confusing, challenging, life-threatening situation with very little real information to go off of. That's literally what this game is. These people learn more bit by bit, just as the player does. Sorry there's nobody to handhold you throughout the game and tell you everything's going to be all right.
>>
>>320630593
Don't make the same mistake as me and listen to the people saying XIII-2 fixed everything, it took one step forward and two steps back.
>>
>>320630709
>Literally nothing in the environment provokes Lightning to make these dramatic goal changes
Except for the fact that the characters have no fucking idea what they're supposed to do, they have no fucking idea why they're supposed to do it, and they're just trying to figure out the best way to survive.

Holy shit it's like you just completely missed the point of the game
>>
>>320627572
Home playing it on my PS3 the first week it was released.
>>
>>320630434
>character x exists solely so plot y can happen and main character can find z

Fuck off.

>wah I need shit story telling and hand holding so I can project my fat ass on an anime character!

Maybe for you and the other retards who suck plinkett dick.

Final fantasy XIII had tangible characters that didn't exist as tutorials like in a child's first ps2 game.
>>
>>320629070
My nigga. You got good taste in characters, anon. Probably the best guy to come out of that game and he barely gets any representation
>>
>>320630521
Ok, but seriously, she's angry and confused by the shit that happened
The seemingly logical conclusion seems to be to destroy cocoon, her conscience tells her to save it, and her pride tells her to flip everyone off and not bend to the fal'cie's will
>>
>>320630829
This. I did the same.
>>
>>320630928
>Final fantasy XIII had tangible characters that didn't exist as tutorials
Yup, instead they gave us a 10 hour tutorial before releasing us into the big MT
>>
File: final_fantasy_x first town.png (133 KB, 440x723) Image search: [Google]
final_fantasy_x first town.png
133 KB, 440x723
>>320630434
Now lets take a look at the important characters in Final Fantasy XIII. There aren't as many. Mostly because the entire party is on the run for the whole game. Right from the start, you're living on the fringes of this strange new world, and you don't get a chance to really interact with the people or see much of it. Everyone in Cocoon either afraid of you and/or wants to kill you. And we're supposed to care about them?

But lets get back to the main characters. You got six of them, and they're all a little less ragtag then previous games. Lightning is a soldier who was born and raised on Cocoon. Snow is some guy who was born and raised on Cocoon. Hope is some kid who- you know what? Fuck it, they come from the same damn background. As a result everyone in the party acts like a bunch of know-it-all Jedi. They know everything the audience doesn't know, and no one explains anything to each other. What's Cocoon society like? Fuck you, read the crystarium. What are Fal'cie, and where do they come from? Fuck you, read the crystarium. What's this "Grand Pulse" place? Fuck you, read the crystarium

"But Vanille and Fang aren't from Cocoon!". Yeah and that's where you're wrong, asshole. They've been living on Cocoon for 100 years. They've integrated with the society just perfectly. They don't even mention they're from Pulse until 20 hours into the game. You might think that by that point they'd start talking about Pulse, in some longing terms.

You know, like there'd be a scene where everyone's sleeping around a campfire, and Hope asks something like "Hey Vanille, what's Pulse like?". And then she'd talk about growing up on Pulse and share some personal stories so that way we can form some kind of attachment to the land and the character.

But no, you can get your personal attachment from the crystarium. It's a vague hellscape, everyone is sent there to die, oh but there's people living on it? And here's one picture of it so I guess it's a planet
>>
>>320630840
I agree but at face value the game makes them look stupid and to understand you need to actually think about what's happening
>>320631056
Snow was the best character
>>
>>320629147
>>320629790
>>320630434
>>320631337
I love how absolutely incorrect this pasta is
It's such a well crafted false flag people still fall for it
It's like that rising pasta that sings It Has to be This Way in the first words of each sentence
>>
>>320631756
Besides the hyperbolic style dear to anon and the "crystarium" thing it's actually pretty accurate.
>>
One thing I never understood about this game is WHY they released such a shitty fucking trailer for it?

The trailer told us nothing about the game. It showed us nothing about the game. All it was was a stupid video with the characters flying around all looking like idiots.

Why on earth would they sabotage their own game like that by using such a pointless, shitty trailer?
>>
>>320629253
>Frogposter talking about cancer.
It's a shitty thread with a shitty header, with a shitty (read: nonexistent) argument.
>>
>>320630840
Yeah and when people don't know what to do, or have any motivations, they tend not to do anything instead of concocting suicidal plans to save or destroy their home planet. I haven't known what to do with my life, ever, and I never set off in the direction of killing everyone that I've ever known.

Though the dilemma the game sets up in the first hour ensures that all possible outcomes results in death (by failing or passing the Focus), which makes everything else irrelevant. The story has no satisfying end goal until 20-30 hours into the game when it's revealed that crystal people eventually turn back. And even then there's no fathomable path to reach it since no one knows what the hell the Focus is to begin with. And if there's no conceivable solution, then nothing's at stake. It's literally Random Shit Happens: Oh Good Things Worked Out.

In Final Fantasy X, the game gives you everything you need to know in the first hour. It sets up the stakes (Spira), the threat (Sin), the solution (pilgrimage), and the end goal (grand summoning).
>>
>>320630719
>with very little real information to go off of.
The thing that makes that a gigantic plothole that invalidates all that defense of it is WHYYYYYYY?
>>
File: FFXIII_Yaag_Rosch.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
FFXIII_Yaag_Rosch.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>320631337
As I said, reason why the "main character with amnesia" thing is done to death in RPGs is because it works well as a narrative device. In Final Fantasy 13, all the characters already know everything about Cocoon, so they don't go into detail about it. We have to read datalogues to find out what it's like. There was maybe one or two instances of Vanille asking some question about Cocoon society.

But there's no point to complaining since the people and makeup of Cocoon don't matter. Those towns don't matter. Their history and people don't matter. Do you remember anything about Palumpolum? Other than "that place where X happened"? Of course not, they're just setpieces. It's just a giant setpiece for you to run through. Unlike say, Rocket Town in FF7, who's entire history plays a direct role in the main story's events. But Cocoon's inhabitants all share the same single-minded motive, they all exist as mobs to give you another reason to keep running down that tunnel. The rest is just waiting for the main characters to realize shit we as the audience realized 5 hours ago (the Cie treat people like pets, YOU DON'T SAY?)
>>
>>320632013
Don't make me fact check that thing, I've done it many times over the years already
I remember the part where it says Vanille and Fang lived on Cocoon for 100 years was bullshit too
The part where he talks about everyone coming from cocoon makes 0 sense. Every guy born in Europe is the same apparently
It's a bunch of false flagging and idiots actually take it seriously
The part where he skips talking about the rest of FFX's cast
The part where he misquotes Toriyama
>>
>>320632518
>I will never have such perfect hair
Fuck my genes
>>
>>320632201
Nigga wat? You're trying to compare FFXIII to your real life?

These aren't people living normal lives where the usual rules apply. They HAVE to do something.

Fuck, why are you trying to compare it to FFX? They're completely different stories. By the way, FFX is fucking shit. It's not even a good game. FFXIII is infinitely better than FFX ever was.
>>
>>320630719
>So what you're saying is that you want everything about the plot to be handed to you on a silver platter, rather than having information revealed in a natural way as the characters progress through the story?

I'm asking for the opposite. FFXIII has a codex simply because none of the world building is done through character dialogue and cutscenes, unlike every other FF game. There are a few rare exceptions, like Sahz explaining the purge in chapter 1.

But in reality, the characters know a lot more than the audience does, and they all share the same background. They're attached to Cocoon, but the audience isn't, and this is supposed to be one of the biggest driving motivations in the game. The writers assumed that if they threw in a home planet in the background then the audience is automatically going to want to save it without having to first form an attachment by interacting with regular folks on it for 30 hours.

There's a reason why the entirety of FF7 doesn't take place in Midgar. If it did, then no one playing would give a shit about saving the planet.
>>
>>320632493
>It's a giant plothole because I don't know the answer yet because I never finished the game
End yourself. Why do retards like you need everything handed to you in a video game all the time?
>>
>>320633363
>But in reality, the characters know a lot more than the audience does,
This is blatantly false. Everything the characters know, the players either know or learn as part of dialogue and flashbacks. Did you even play the game? Or are you just too retarded to figure it out?
>>
>>320630928
>character x exists solely so plot y can happen and main character can find z

Holy cow, it's a staple of the sci-fi fantasy genre. The quickest way to introduce a bunch of fantasy alien cultures is to feature people from those cultures.
>>
>>320627572
I wouldn't ever know since it will never happen.
>>
>>320633878
Are you complaining about the lack of cliches?
Are you actually demanding devs play it safe and stick by common tropes lest you get out of your confort zone?
Then people wonder why games like CoD outsell everything all the time
Just fucking kill yourself
>>
>People trying to defend a story where the characters all die and then immediately come back to life at the end because of a background object that's never mentioned or talked about outside of the ingame wikipedia. The closest it gets is one of the characters mumbles "fal'cie smoke and mirrors..." after he comes back to life

Fucking retards really are going to be defending Star Ocean 4 soon
>>
>>320629469
>good
How is that yellow brick road treating you.
Loving Hope, Snow, and Vanille's Acting and character development yet?
Have you understood anything about the universe the game is so generously conveying to you in the simplest of methods.
Isn't Lightning the most heart warming character you ever met?
And the personality on Fang is just exploding right out of her character.
Sazh though, Nothing really going for him in this game. Why was he even in it?
>>
>>320634323
>die
Wut?
Cie'th aren't dead!
>>
>>320634210
It's a "cliche" because it works, unlike XIII's poor excuses for characters.
>>
>>320634489
They're essentially zombies, they might as well be.
>>
>>320632797
>I remember the part where it says Vanille and Fang lived on Cocoon for 100 years was bullshit too

It's technically true, even if they were statues for most of the time. Point being, no one in the game could tell they were aliens, neither could the audience. Effectively, they're indistinguishable from Cocoon citizens. Their backgrounds add nothing to our understanding of Pulse aside from the fact that there's people of some sort living on it. What kind of people? What is their way of life? Their outlook? Their culture? Their opinion of Cocoon?

Now, their backgrounds DID act as something related to a plot device setting in motion the loss of Sahz's son. They were given a focus and assumed it was to attack the power plant, based on nothing. Aside from making the audience less sympathetic, them being from Pulse was incidental.

Oh they were also witnesses to the previous war between Cocoon and Pulse. This was a significant lore event which they did absolutely nothing to expound upon. Maybe they could have recounted massive battles, the horrible loss of life, the suffering of people on Pulse, the actions of Cocoon. Maybe give the audience some kind of link to an event that traumatized both worlds?

HAHAHA JK, read the codex if you want to know that shit
>>
>>320634645
It's lazy and formulaic as fuck
But I hear bioware does it
Why don't you play their latest game Dragon Age: Inquisition, it even won Game of the Year 2014
Don't forget to #ridethebull
>>
>>320635160
>COD
>Dragon age
What's next, life is strange?
Are you falseflagging as a ff XIII fanboy to make them look retarded? You're doing a great job.
>>
>>320634963
That's the point, they woke up 2 weeks before the start of the game and infiltrated cocoon
What people? They explain it when they reach Oerba but I'm guessing you didn't actually play it
They attacked the power plant because they had memories of a war against cocoon and Vanille was lying about her amnesia, they might trigger their memories by attacking cocoon infrastructure they never thought it was their focus
They do talk about the casualties of the war of transgression and it's the main reason Vanille lies and tries to avoid the subject and decide to not do anything about her l'cie condition at first
But you needed to play the game to know this stuff and you obviously didn't
>>
>>320635665
Anon, I've been reading through this whole thread, and somehow, against all odds, you, yes you, have consistently made yourself look like an ass.
>>
>>320627572
I still don't understand why XIII gets so much hate.
The auto battle wasn't forced in any way possible so I have no idea why people use that as an excuse
>>
>>320634210
I wouldn't, if FFXIII replaced these cliches with a decent story. They didn't. There are few ways to explain obtuse fantasy lore and most of them suck.

You can either read encyclopedia entries about alien/fantasy cultures, have a character in the story recite those same encyclopedia entries, force the audience to personally visit each of these foreign cultures (which is demanding), or include a someone from that culture to drop a couple of lines. Even Final Fantasy 6 did this. Do you think it's a coincidence that people are forced to play as the captain of Domo 15 minutes before the kingdom was wiped out? Nearly every town, culture, job occupation and kingdom in the game has a party member attached to it.
>>
I was sitting in my room, while Han Solo dies in the new Star Wars.
>>
>>320636048
Fuck, you're right, I can't do anything against that argument. I can see the light now, Lightning is the best character ever.
>>
>>320636109
There's just no reason not to use auto battle outside of specific and rare instances. Even speedrunners mostly use auto battle, just go watch one.
>>
>>320635754
>They attacked the power plant because they had memories of a war against cocoon and Vanille was lying about her amnesia, they might trigger their memories by attacking cocoon infrastructure they never thought it was their focus

Holy shit that's an even stupider reason. "I lost my memories, MAYBE KILLING THESE PEOPLE WILL HELP"

>They do talk about the casualties of the war of transgression

They *mention* it, and it's still not clear what their reference point was. Were they on Pulse or Cocoon? Were they active participants, or innocent bystanders? How complicit were they in their Focus? What was it?

And the reason I never mention Vanille is because she's ironically the given the best character development in the game, even if her initial persona was grating to 90% of the westerners playing it.
>>
>>320636946
>Holy shit that's an even stupider reason. "I lost my memories, MAYBE KILLING THESE PEOPLE WILL HELP"
Yeah, so weird, right? It's almost as if they have no idea what they're doing.

Oh wait.. They don't.
>>
>>320636826
And there's no reason to use it. People shitting on XIII because of an option is retarded.
>>
I'll be the first to admit that the game seems hard to get into in the first minutes of it. Right off the bat the characters use weird words like l'cie, fal'cie etc, the player has no idea what's going on, and it just seems weird. But it's actually a good game once you get into it.
>>
>>320628141
>The story was too confusing
It wasn't you illiterate american. You just need to spend 5 minutes reading some of the logs.

> in terms of characterization it's the best
I only played XIII and I and I's non-characters are better simply because they don't make me want to strangle them every time they open their fucking mouths to spout infuriating cliche lines.
>>
>>320637538
It's the battle system that's flawed and makes auto battle so prevalent ( devs knew this and made it the first option). FF XIII is a pretty fast game, and the way the game works makes it hard and most of the time unefficient to pick manually. For instance, it's more effective to use two different attacks in a row (fire-water-fire-water-fire). So, realistically, all you have to do is change paradigms, that is not a myth, that's how I played and judging by the feedback how most of people played.
>>
>>320637161
They do know
They're in enemy territory and Fang decides to start using guerrila tactics
It's that simple
Vanille goes along with it because she's too beta to not follow her
>>320636946
See above for the first thing
>>
>>320637161
Right. So if they have no idea what they're doing, then they have no real comprehension or control of the events surrounding them.

And if they have no control over the events surrounding them then there's nothing at stake.

Maybe self-preservation is one, but this is nixed by the second chapter when the game clearly states that the main party will effectively die no matter what they do.
>>
File: 1449731807381.jpg (81 KB, 1280x621) Image search: [Google]
1449731807381.jpg
81 KB, 1280x621
>>320628404
with dual audio and 60fps I hope
>>
>>320638459
*most people
Yeah I can't into English very well fuck you
>>
>>320639197
See >>320638637
>>
>>320639197
To be fair as an RPG player you should know that "the world is doomed" and "everyone will die" are not necessarily true, even if the story tells you. I don't think anyone dropped the game and said "oh well, I'm gonna lose anyways".
>>
It's not a horrible game, but it's pretty close. It's so damn boring, the game does not have the variety or content to match the length of the game.

There are no places to explore, no npcs to talk to, no dungeons, no minigames, no treasures to find, shops to visit. You just walk forward, fight and watch a cutscene. The game needed to either be significantly shorter, or have more things to do.
>>
>>320638637
>They're in enemy territory and Fang decides to start using guerrila tactics

Attacking the first utility structure they come across in hopes that it will somehow cure amnesia isn't guerrila tactics (not that we even see their attack, or anything resembling a plan)

Look, half the reason the story exists as it does is because they had no idea how the game would even play until the final 2 years of development, to which they then rushed to tie together their preexisting art assets and cutscenes. Most of which was created long before the story was fully realized. Cid was brought back to life simply because the final cutscene of him was already made and there was no communication between the various teams working on the game.

Even the english translators recall it being terribly managed, compared to their work on other Square games. They would get a script for a cutscene, translate it, only to find out that the Japanese recording sessions were using a different script. They would contact the producers, writers, CG directors, and VA directors and find them using 4 different scripts. Getting a finalized script was impossible, but Square wanted them to translate works in progress. Only about 20% of their work made it into the final version.
>>
>>320627572
As someone who has about 150 hours in on XIII and 110 on XIII-2, they're half right.

Pulse was awesome.....AFTER you beat the story. Gameplay wise, it didn't really get interesting until the end of Chapter 4 where Odin smacks you around until you're wearing you ass like a helmet, then it dies down again until chapter 10 where you fight Bahamut. Meanwhile the story tries its best to hide itself until the second half the game which makes it fall flat on its face because you're left wondering "What the fuck is the point in all this?" and when it does tell you, there was really no reason for it to be hidden in the first place. Combat was alright, I mean trash mobs are always going to be trash mobs, but if you auto-attack during boss battles you're going to lose and saying you didn't just makes you a liar. XIII-2 though was still such a vast improvement over XIII in almost every way. The only thing they could have done differently is show more Lightning and have more quests to do that weren't just minigames or hunts.
>>
>>320639730

>To be fair as an RPG player you should know that "the world is doomed" and "everyone will die" are not necessarily true, even if the story tells you. I don't think anyone dropped the game and said "oh well, I'm gonna lose anyways".

No, because end goals are presented. Even vain ones. The characters pin all their hopes on a real solution with a small chance of success. In FF6 it was about saving the world by beating the Empire/Kefka. In FF7 the goal was to stop Sepiroth's plan by killing him. In FFX it was the pilgrimage. In LOTR it was to cast the ring into the fires of mount whatever.

In FFXIII a possible vain solution is never presented until the final act, there's no big baddie they can kill to save themselves, the only presented outcome is just "well lets keep running and hopefully something will happen!"
>>
>>320636946
They don't just mention it
Vanille's entire motivation is that she doesn't want to hurt anyone again
The only reason she does anything is to avoid hurting people
>her initial persona was grating to 90% of the westerners playing it
Oh really, cry me a river
>>320640198
Fang decided they should have kept fighting their war until they triggered something that brought their memories back
And I know it had a troubled development
However it wasn't 20% they just said they had enough content left over for another 80 hour jrpg, and guess what? XIII-2 and LR happened
>>
>>320640776
>"well lets keep running and hopefully something will happen!"
And that's pretty much the point of the game from what I've gathered so far. That's why I like this game. FFXIII is a unique and gripping story about folks who are in over their heads and just trying to survive.
>>
What was your favourite moment in FF XIII? For me, it was the "code purple/white/yellow" sequence. An unexpected but refreshing fun moment.
No sarcasm pls it hurts my feelings.
>>
>>320627572
I always knew.
>>
>>320628794

Nerd
>>
>>320627572
FF13 is the most linear piece of shit ever. And the battle system? Ridiculous.
>>
>>320640776
That's the point
The villain only does his bond villain style speech much later and still manipulates them until the very end
The heroes don't know what to do because Barthandelus doesn't want them to know until he tells them personally exactly what he wants to tell them
Do you want to know why the game is pretty much a one way corridor? Because that's what Barthandelus wants, so they're forced on getting where he wants them to go with no alternatives
Why is Pulse open? Because they're far away from Barthandelus and his influence on them
>>320641049
That was funny
I can imagine Dysely thinking
>Jihl, should I kill you kill you with a white purple or yellow energy ball
Anyway favorite moment? I guess it's probably immediately after that
>imagine if they knew a l'cie was filling their glasses
>l'cie? You mean me? Oh child, perish the thought, I AM MORE THAN THAT
>I AM FAL'CIE
>Barthandelus theme starts
>MY NAME IS BARTHANDELUS, VOICE OF THE SANCTUM AND LORD SOVREIGN OF THE COCOON FAL'CIE
>YOUR KIND FEARED THE DARK AND WE GAVE YOU LIGHT, YOU BEGGED US FOR THE PURGE AND DID IT NOT COME TO PASS. NOW YOU SPURN OUR COUNSEL, YOU MUST LEARN YOUR PLACE
and then
>Cocoon's nothing to you
And then a pretty awesome boss battle
sorry if I misquoted it, I'm going from memory
>>
>>320636453
You actually replied? Unlike the other anon, I'm not trying to argue with you.

Because you're dense.
>>
>>320641049

Lightning punching Snow. I'm biased and well it was pretty emotional regardless.
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.