[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Street Fighter 5 for SteamOS/Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: 1446950443029.jpg (66 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
1446950443029.jpg
66 KB, 970x545
So now that its confirmed that the Japanese can into Linux do the prospects for the future of PC gaming look brighter? Its going to suck if we start the 20s with no good desktop gaming platform.
>>
>do the prospects for the future of PC gaming look brighter?
Sure does.
Console sales have nosedived in Japan and publishers are looking for ways to make up that lost revenue. After seeing the success of Dark Souls on Steam, everyone else is jumping on-board.

It is either that, or turn to putting their games on mobile phones.

Even Sony has accepted this, and is allowing lots of multiplayer games to be cross-platform.
>>
>>320605169
Right, with UE4 basically supporting Linux out of the box its going to be a lot easier to convince devs to click the button and deploy especially with Valve there encouraging them to support Steam Machines.

I just wonder if it will be enough to deal with the crash that's likely to happen in 2020 when Windows 7 is EOL.
>>
>>320605371
If there's any justice in the world, Vulkan will be the most widely adopted "next-gen" graphics API and that's one of the major porting hurdles dealt with.
>>
We used to have that joke that if there was a pie, Capcom wanted to have a part of it.

Glad to see this haven't changed along the years.
>>
bump for freedom and stability
>>
>>320605909
Its just cool to see another company acknowledging that there is in fact a pie when it comes to Linux gaming. I guess I shouldn't be surprised the latest numbers from Steam do put Linux well over a million users and growing slightly faster than Steam use as a whole.
>>
>>320605806

No SDK despite Khronos promising one this year and none on the horizon means that DX12 will have a huge headstart. Especially as that is estimated to make console ports, even easier than Vulkan with the added porting and optimization tool sets MS added in (Particularly because MS can adopt in Havok physics as native now they own it). Add in Nvidia staying closed source drivers on linux with no plans to move. Vulkan It's looking like it's just going to be second fiddle.
>>
File: Sir Ryan Gosling.jpg (89 KB, 561x915) Image search: [Google]
Sir Ryan Gosling.jpg
89 KB, 561x915
>>320604516
>Steam OS
>>
File: SmugSakura.jpg (8 KB, 248x233) Image search: [Google]
SmugSakura.jpg
8 KB, 248x233
>>320606414
>Windows
>>
>>320606308
The fact that D3D12 is Windows 10 only will hamstring it for the forseeable future. If Vulkan has only slipped from New Years to the 7th and the event that all the Khronos members are attending that's not going to be a huge deal. If they're slipping into late next year then that's more of a problem.
>>
>>320606308
Porting D3D games to Vulkan won't be such a big deal as porting them to OpenGL, though, because both DX12 and Vulkan are based on Mantle and because you can use HLSL shading language that DX also uses.

And while DX12 definitely has a head start, it's not exactly widely adopted right now and since a lot of people are clearly going to stick with Windows 7, that's a big advantage to Vulkan.

Who knows how things will turn out but I remain hopeful.
>>
>>320606696
It will be interesting to see how much performance improves from the companies using wrappers when they switch from D3D->OpenGL to D3D->Vulkan. Feral's in particular only produces results that are currently 50-80% speed while Virtual Programmings is already close to 100% and could get even faster.
>>
>>320606691
>>320606696
>>320606987
You seem to know what you're talking about. Which is your background?
>>
>>320606691
>>320606696

The problem is that Windows 10 is the fastest growing adopted OS and 3rd parties will start shipping DX12 games next year. Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Rise Of The Tomb Raider are shipping DX12 on PC. Once people get a taste, they will be saying "What botnet" just like DX11. It's also more console ports than PC that DX12 will help. D3D12 has a ton of tools that will massively help developers for porting console games to PC as it has specific optimisation tools like their debuggers. Especially important Japanese devs since costs will really be cut porting over a PS4 game to PC.

The biggest dev worries for Vulkan is that the toolset is underbaked and lacks features. Even if the SDK ships early next year. The games will not start arriving till late 2017. Being late to the party and coming in with less features is going to kill it. Never mind the fact Steam Machines are a massive flop.
>>
>>320604516
If I told my teenager self who is rabid linux user that newest SF will run natively on linux, he will be: doubt.
>>
>loonix
>gaming

AHAHAHAHA

LET ME LAUGH AT YOU FREETARD DUMBFUCKS

LOONIX IS ONLY GOOD TO RUN TVS AND ANDROID SMARTPHONE GARBAGE

YOUR NO SUPPORT, NO QUALITY ALLOWED SHITTY OS WILL NEVER GET ANYTHING MORE THAN A HANDFUL OF PIXEL INDIE SHOVELWARE

WHEN JAPS REALIZE THAT YOU CAN'T RUN SHIT ON LOONIX THEY WILL STOP SUPPORTING THAT SHIT PLATFORM AND THEY WILL CRAWL BACK TO MICROSOFT WINDOWS ONCE THE PS4 DIES

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

FAGGOTS
>>
File: CoplandOS.gif (125 KB, 1097x805) Image search: [Google]
CoplandOS.gif
125 KB, 1097x805
>>320608007
>idiocy; the post
>>
I'm glad gentoo take more step into gaming, looks like gentoo family will have good future.
>>
>>320607287
The free upgrade period ending and saturation among Windows early adopters will help slow adoption down. There's no indication that we won't have a situation with 7 like we had with XP towards the end of its life.

>>320607235
Former game dev, current Linux enthusiast
>>
>>320606607
Not him but SteamOS has worse performance than Windows.
>>
>>320608597
What makes it worse? Driver components?
>>
>>320608597
With free drivers? Probably. Not a problem in my case.

Linux also lacks many features of Windows, like spyware, forced updates, a horrifying interface that you can't customise, and all the nonsense that a bunch of corporate fucks decide the OS you'll be using must have.

I'll stick to my guns.
>>
File: 370-vs-760-fallout3-wine.png (15 KB, 605x340) Image search: [Google]
370-vs-760-fallout3-wine.png
15 KB, 605x340
>>320608597
It doesn't, poor quality ports and developer unfamiliarity with standard OpenGL however leads to inferior performance. Especially for games ported from DirectX using automated port tools.

Dota2 Reborn for instance which was developed as a native Linux game performs better on Linux than Windows, and every indication is that Vulkan once released will help close any remaining performance gaps.

For instance, Gallium Nine, a native version of D3D9 for Linux produces much better results than any of the other methods of wrapping DX. Its currently restricted to essentially only the Open Source AMD drivers, but Vulkan would allow for a similar hardware agnostic solution.
>>
File: stallman.jpg (43 KB, 640x358) Image search: [Google]
stallman.jpg
43 KB, 640x358
>>320604516
the real question is will V respect my freedom?
>>
>Japanese can into Linux

Protip: PS4 is a BSD derivative. They always could into Linux.
>>
>>320608917
With Nvidia you are of course still stuck with Nvidia's proprietary driver which usually isn't a problem. The open source AMD driver is starting to outperform Catalyst. Its only remaining issues are slow performance in games using tessellation and lack of compute shader support.
>>
>>320608551

It's not the adaptation will slow post free upgrade that's the biggest problem with Vulkan though. They are behind schedule an still lacking toolsets in comparison to DX12 and DX12 games will ship during that "free" period. Khronos are dropping the ball.

>>320609035

DOTA 2 Reborn runs worse, actually.
>>
>>320609319
Ars just doesn't know how to do proper Linux benchmarks. They used a machine built and optimized for Windows and that didn't meet the minimum requirements for SteamOS to conduct the test. Its a bit unfortunate but you can't just take an old Windows box slap Linux on it and expect it to perform well. The drivers for older hardware just haven't been optimized as much as the newer hardware.
>>
>>320609319
That graph tells literally nothing though.
What drivers were used? GPU?
Linux is a very volatile gaming environment at the moment.
>>
>>320609305
Noice!

>>320609319
>>320609594
>>320609653
What can you expect if the graph was made to convey a dubious point?
>>
>>320604516
I just received the mail from Steam and
>LMAO. SFV will come out in a stillborn system
>XBOX ONE BTFO
>>
Japan can't even do Windows.
SFV runs like hot dick.
>>
>>320612040
>flame wars
2007 called. They want their dank memes back.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.