[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled can we agree about one thing? 7,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 46
Now that the dust has settled can we agree about one thing?
7, 8 and 9 are the most overrated FF ever.
Cause babby's first jrpg.
>>
7 and 8, yeah those are overrated shit. But 9 you can fuck off with your shit opinion.
It's the best FF and love letter to all the classic games in the series.
>>
8 > 9 > 7
>>
> 9
> overrated
> the one ignored and disregarded as kiddy shit by the people who started on 7 and 8
>>
FF5 and 6 are more overrated in terms of how good they actually are vs how much praise they get. The PS1 FF games get praised a lot, but they are also very good games.
>>
Actually, 9 is the best final fantasy, and the only one that's beaten at all story wise was 12, but god damn did the battle system suck ass.

Also, Type-0 HD is the best final fantasy i've played in years. 15's demo had me absolutely uninterested.
>>
>>320602375
>8
>overrated
The fuck are you talking about? Most people are shitting on it because they can't into junctions.

>9
>overrated
It's really just a very loud minority.
>>
>>320602375
Almost nobody outside of 4chan would say 9 is their favorite. It's my favorite and even I dismissed it when it first came out.

I actually don't know anyone who likes 8 that much, but if it is someones favorite it's probably mostly for the music

ff7 is the most overrated FF and possibly the most overrated game period.
>>
9 is underrated as fuck. It's an amazing FF game.
>>
>>320602571
yes 9 is overrated

I consider it my favorite game but the people who like it go wayyy too far with the praise, it's a pretty basic jrpg with technical problems
>>
9 is better than 7 and 8 because it returned to the crystals after abandoning that in 6. 7 is basically 6 again, but without anything enjoyable.
>>
>>320602484
9 is a love letter to 4 mostly, and I don't like 4 as much as the rest of the classic ones.
>>
Funny thing is, they are all objectively shit.

The least shit was objectively _8_
>>
>>320602375
7 is the only one there that is overrated. 9 is underrated if anything, and 8 is just plain shit and everyone can agree on that.
>>
>>320602375
>9
>overrated

I thought both 8 and 9 caught a lot of shit from most?

9 is still my second favorite of the ones I've played
>>
File: laughing2.jpg (60 KB, 500x495) Image search: [Google]
laughing2.jpg
60 KB, 500x495
>Either one of those being babby's first RPG
What's it like being an underage kiddo?
>>
>>320602375
7 is overrated as fuck but genuinely a good game. It's the Ocarina of Time for the FF series, where normies latch on to it because they've heard of it from somewhere.

8 is the shittiest FF in the series. It has it's good points, but the junction system was unnecessarily complicated for the sake of complicated-ness. Sure, you can spend hours and learn that shit but it's just not fun. Also the love story bullshit.

9 is pretty good. One could argue it's the last Final Fantasy with "fantasy" in it, with the new ones being all waifus and boy bands and what-not.
>>
>>320602375
All Final Fantasies are generic, boring pieces of shit.
>>
>>320603410
>Junction
>Complicated
Retard.
>>
>>320603463
>Generic
Oh, look, there's that retarded fucking meme again.

Every idiot on this board calls a game "generic" when it's a game they don't like. Cut the shit.
>>
>>320602375
>9 overrated

Haha no. FF9 is goat. You'll be able to appreciate good games one day, when you're older.
>>
>>320603410
I guess that would be 6 the ALTTP of the series, in which jaded nostalgiatards from the SNES generation won't shut the fuck up about it being the best game ever and how the series died when it became popular and their sekrit club was compromised etc.
>>
>>320602840
>nobody outside of 4chan would say 9 is their favorite

Nah, there are more 9 fans with each passing year, but they're not as loud as the 6 and 7 fans.

>ff7 is the most overrated FF game and possibly the most overrated game period

This is the truth. It's more overrated than OoT, FF6, Chrono Trigger, everything.
>>
>>320603627
I think we can add "generic" to the list of buzzwords that had their original meaning destroyed by /v/.
>>
In retrospect I honestly don't understand why Memoria is the final dungeon of IX. Yes, there is obviously going to be a final dungeon and it's going to be an unusual or weird location because this is Final Fantasy but from a narrative standpoint it seems like there isn't any foundation laid for its inclusion. People say Necron is unexpected but so's the Crystal, it's in the box art but you don't know why until you've got less than ten screens until the end of the game.

If anyone has a good interpretation for why disc 4 makes sense I'd like to hear it.
>>
>>320603937
It's just some creepy magical castle that guards the doorway to Crystal World, I don't think there has to be much more explanation than that.

Also, a castle built out of memories is a perfect excuse to have you fight the four bosses from FF1, goon along with FF9's theme of being a retrospective on the series.

Also people shit on Necron too much. He's nihilism incarnate, that's why you're fighting him. It doesn't have to make sense on a literal level, just a thematic or symbolic level, like a David Lynch movie or something.
>>
>>320604141
So Memoria is a meta-dungeon for Final Fantasy itself? That does actually make sense.

Also I think Necron actually does make sense, much like you said.
>>
The baby's first RPG thing is only usually said by people who grew up on SNES JRPGs, and that generation has mostly disappeared from this board. Right now it's most likely a case of people whose ages were in the single digits when 7-9 come out trashing them because they seem slow compared to more recent games they're used to.

It's not wrong to say there's a lot of nostalgia involved though, because of course there is, like with any game you played when you were young. Also, for Eurofags, 7 was the first FF title to be released there at all and one of the first JRPGs as well. So it wasn't just a case of it being marketed well enough to be noticed; it was probably the first opportunity they would've ever had to play a JRPG. That's obviously going to stick with a person as a special experience.

Still, the games are big and ambitious. They have huge worlds and memorable characters. Loads of great locations to explore and secrets to find. They're great JRPGs.
>>
>>320603410
Junctioning is a bit confusing, but it should click eventually. It's kind of a shit system though.
>>
>>320604697
You really think Amerifats know anything about what goes on outside their bubble of a country?

Also funny because all 7 did was continue the trends established by its predecessors on the SNES, yet those nostalgiafaggots would gladly shit on anything that came after for multiple reasons such as:
A: console fanboyism
B: refusal to accept any change whatsoever to whatever they grew up with
C: wanting to appear elite and "against the crowd" by shitting on whatever has mainstream appeal regardless of its actual quality

Forget anything the game may have done right, let's all just focus on its absolute worst aspects and shitpost them into oblivion.
>>
>>320604697
Yeah, 9 was my first RPG (aside from games like Paper Mario and Megaman Battle Network), and it remained my favorite for a long time. It completely expanded my notion of what was possible in a video game, I had never played anything with such lovable characters and such an engaging and expansive story before.

It was eventually dethroned by Persona 4 Golden though, so nostalgia isn't invincible.
>>
>>320602571
>the one ignored and disregarded as kiddy shit by the people who started on 7 and 8

at the time but it's been the hipster choice for over 10 years now
>>
>>320603236
>9
>Not overrated too

Ebin. You always hear how AHMAZING it is but you never hear about how the battle system sucked as, forced party members ALL THE FUCKING TIME and still no exp for benched party members, long as fuck battle load times, cut shit like Freya's stuff and more.

All highly praised games are overrated to some degree.
>>
>>320602986
the current acting like liking it's underground and underappreciated when there's been a large fanbase for over 10 years is bullshit and filled with newfagery
>>
>>320605264
Yep, especially Chrono Trigger. I mean I like the game as much as anyone else here, but I am beyond sick of the fanboys constantly sucking this game's dick and treating it as the final word of the genre.
>>
>>320605089
I thought it was more like 5 years? My memories of FF fan forums from like '08 and '09 seem to indicate that most people still loved 7 back then.

I'd like to think that more people are becoming fans of 9 because they genuinely love the game, not for hipster cred. But I'm undoubtedly biased, because it's my genuine favorite game in the series.
>>
my but first jrpgs was on the snes..secret of mana . something of terraria and uh..there was something else i think
>>
>>320605408
Nope, 7 was as reviled here as Halo was, no doubt thanks to the 6fags constantly decrying it as the cancer that killed muh Final Fantasy.
>>
there's probably people on this board who's first ff was 13 or one of it's sequels

or haven't even touched a ff game

like 7 came out 18 years ago and technically is a classic Sakaguchi ff
>>
>>320605408
"My memories of FF fan forums from like '08 and '09 seem to indicate that most people still loved 7 back then."

Because most people already are, 9 fans are a vocal mini majority of the playstation 1 era only 8 has become hipster choice as of late since 9 is tired. I was and is a fan of it but I don't go out of my praising it, after disc 1 it really drops off even more than 8.
>>
>>320605720
Yep, the hipsters are going to praise 8 next, and then probably 1 - 3 a few years from now. I'd like to see how they'll manage that, because those games are complete shit.
>>
>>320606704
I like 8 but only because it hits my military sci fi kink during the first 2 discs also russians loved 8 long before anyone
>>
>>320602571
I never understood that. My favourite was 8 but I ate 9 right up. Why are Americans so focused on the way things are presented while at the same time sucking Disney's dick all their lives?
>>
>>320602375
8>7>9

Anyone who loves 9 was obviously born in the mid-late 90's. The characters and atmosphere of the game is as childish as you can get, it's fucking terrible.
>>
My first RPG was either FFIV or Breath of Fire
>>
>>320606908
well 7 and 8 were "serious" then you get this light hearted one that wasn't like the ones the babies started with along side it's problems and it's easy to see why it didn't so well.
>>
OFFICIAL FINAL FANTASY POWER RANKINGS

FFVI
FFVII

POWER GAP

FFIX
FFVIII
FFIV

POWER GAP

EVERYTHING ELSE
>>
Why does 5 have to have so many classes.
>>
>boohoo its not a hardcore rpg for a hardcore gaymer like me

*le tips fedora and plays smallest le flute in the world*
>>
>>320607156

VII and VIII pretty much played a game of musical chairs with Xenogears, which obviously was more of the first pitch for the seventh game in the Final Fantasy franchise, but became Xenogears instead.

Influences of Takahashi's (and his fiancée) works did a ton on the development of the eight game too, as Nojima kind of had a lot of ties to Takahashi back in the squaresoft days and they would exchange ideas around, which is also most likely the reason why VIII was such a departure towards the "realistic" style of storytelling.
>>
>>320607814
sadly 8 and that shitty movie stole xenogears budget
>>
File: tmp_25894-images867961609.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
tmp_25894-images867961609.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>320602375
Garnet a best.
>>
File: girugamesshu.png (32 KB, 129x150) Image search: [Google]
girugamesshu.png
32 KB, 129x150
>>320607186
have you even played FFV bitch?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CMTXyExkeI
>>
>>320608012

Which is indeed a shame, cause the game had obviously been developed with more episodic, six part story in mind and we literally just had a small fraction of what was to come.

Then the whole Square-Enix debacle and we end up in 2015 and we still don't really have a direct sequel in sight.
>>
VII is the most overrated. VIII is the most underrated. Due to its complex story, it goes over the heads of 95% of the people who play it. FFVIII misconceptions have been an FF meme for 16 years.
>>
>>320602484
9 fucking sucks

>love letter
try copy
>>
>>320608290
wouldn't want one now though
>>
>>320608294
Please tell us what's so complex about 8.
>>
>>320603804
This is bullshit 9 fans push that garbage down peoples throat 24/7 I gave in back in 2008 and played It was still shit like I remembered then whenever I come on various FF threads people shill it all day long.

Personally I really liked VIII but It is definetely flawed I can't really say any of the FF games are incredible but the one I enjoyed the most was 8. People will shitpost about how edgy squall is which is true but this was back when none of these shitty edge memes were around.

I also liked XII but mostly for the setting/characters I don't really play FF games for the combat though it can be a nice addition.

Everyone hates on the junctioning system and while it's not the best it's really not as bad as people say it is. I just enjoyed the setting a lot it is more 'mature' then the other titles. I honestly wish they kept this direction the whole seed thing and the overall cast being a bit older then other in the series felt like a much better setting.

Xenogears is still my favourite of the Square games but yeah that 2nd disc... Everything else though made it timeless for me. I really wish someone would remake it with a better 2nd disc, hell I even made some stuff myself in an old engine 5 years ago but gave up.
>>
>>320606908
I don't 9 is my favorite, it's fuckers who need to have a teen angst feel to everything who hate 9
>>
>>320608408
not him but muh themes
also the fact that people think ultimecia showed up out of nowhere at the end is the proof that it goes over most peoples heads
>>
>>320608264
yes and it's shit
>>
>>320606976
85 fuck face, people like it because it has a workable story like 7. 8 was a fucking mess for emo kids to gobble up.
>>
>>320608408
Tell me if you understand the story. Let's see if you were able to fully comprehend the events. Hint: Nothing happened by chance, and memory loss is not a plot twist, or even relevant plot point.
>>
File: 1449493735715.png (62 KB, 191x200) Image search: [Google]
1449493735715.png
62 KB, 191x200
>>320608549
yes you have such sofitication
>>
>>320608447
I play for the combat and hated 12 when it came out for ditching the gameplay I like(casual turn based jrpg with story focus) and never played it till a year ago. I came in expecting offline mmo gameplay and was blown away by the opening but then just get turn based run around in a circle till your turn comes up that looks so stupid so I dropped it after the first fight.
>>
FFVIII has a complex story like Chrono Cross does.
>>
>>320608661
I'm not trying to shit on 8. I haven't played it in years (I've been meaning to play it again) so I wouldn't be able to give you a satisfactory answer anyway. It's just that from what I remember, nothing about the plot was hard to understand.
>>
File: a.png (323 KB, 1291x1005) Image search: [Google]
a.png
323 KB, 1291x1005
FF6, FF7 and FF8 have more main story gameplay hours than any other Final Fantasy game.
>>
>>320602375
My first and only one was the first one on PSP. Loved how nice and simple it was. Tried a few of the other ones, but none stuck.
>>
File: endshot8.jpg (37 KB, 536x287) Image search: [Google]
endshot8.jpg
37 KB, 536x287
>>320608661
>>
>>320608919
Have you tried V? The plot is pretty simplistic, it keeps the theme of the four warriors of light and the job system is fun. It sounds like you'd enjoy it.
>>
>>320608912
FFXIII should be up there too. That game is like 100% main story gameplay.
>>
>>320608408
Disc 3, considering how many people consider it the worst part of the game. They're wrong, of course, but that's what you get when you ignore everything but the literal plot.
>>
>>320608775
Yeah it's understandable but the combat system does get better as you progress.

The main thing I want in rpgs is a really strong cast that you can see grow over time. Good chemistry between the characters a strong antagonist and a sense of adventure. This is basically why I love xenogears so much. The pacing is unlike anything I have seen since. It kept me interested pretty much all of the first disc. Which is an amazing feat.
>>
>>320608447
I hate the junction system because I have never once got it to work the space to put magic in never ungrays out I had and still have no idea what to do. Love the setting and most of the story though.

>Xenogears is still my favourite of the Square games but yeah that 2nd disc

I'm stuck at the ufo fight because my mechs always suck(even with good parts) and get there shit kicked in and dropped it as I really can't pick up games anymore also whats wrong with endless cutscenes(haven't watched them yet) the story is a big thing of the game are they just bad or really bitter about the lack of gameplay?
>>
My biggest gripe with FFVIII was the shitty writing. It would have been much better if it didn't sound retarded when you're reading the dialogue
>>
>>320609032
True but the story is also really bad and convoluted not only was it hard to follow but it was also completely boring. And this is coming from someone who liked XIII but didn't like -2 or Lightning Returns (combat was good tho)
>>
>>320609028
I've been meaning to go through the series one game at a time, but was never able to get to it. From what I saw 1,3, and 5 seem to follow a similar feel, so might just go for those.
>>
>>320609081
while the setting and characters aren't "bad" in my view they aren't that appealing to me and I will always hate it for ending the series good run for me also wish 12 was more like parasite eve since that running around doing nothing would make more sense to me and have a better view of what is where because of para's camera placement
>>
>>320609057

Please help me appreciate disc 3. Squall's Rinoa frenzy rubs me the wrong way and that's the only issue I have.
>>
>>320609167
>child soldiers
>war
>space

they had the fucking tools to make a great world yet they royally fucked it up. i still don't understand how they pulled that off to this day.
>>
>>320609167
>>320609219
the story is just fine when it isn't about ultimecia which is more disc 3+ shit
>>
>>320609351
>Not liking the part where Squall lets himself go and admit/show how he feels about Rinoa
literally the best part of the game
>>
>>320609113
If they were voiced cutscenes it would of been a lot better. The problem is it's literally just walls of text but you can only read a few lines at once and you can't skip through it and the text appears very slowly. I can read the lines about 3times quicker then they appear.

Emulators can make it more bearable though.
>>
>>320602375
nah, the most overrated FF (at least online) is 6 by far
>muh shitty joker rip off
>muh shitty WoR
>muh cast of mostly unmemorable characters

fuck off
>>
>>320609421
I was talking about FFXIII not VIII but I agree, the story was fine apart from them being from the same orphanage.
>>
>>320609514
>joker invented the evil clown
>>
>>320609514
Kill yourself.
>>
>>320602605
>ff5 and 6
>overrated

considering people actually unironically believe ff7 is better than 6, despite cribbing characters and plot points from 6, then no, it is not overrated. its the best final fantasy game by far. not best game ever made or even best rpg, but easily and without question the best final fantasy.
>>
>>320602375
Because in 1998 your were such a well know specialist at jrpg's right faggot?
>>
>>320609167
Yeah the english translation was great....
>>
File: oakkkk.jpg (10 KB, 230x219) Image search: [Google]
oakkkk.jpg
10 KB, 230x219
>>320602375

9 is pretty great. Keep the hate up, only makes me like the game more.
>>
File: 214950-kar_freya.jpg (10 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
214950-kar_freya.jpg
10 KB, 320x320
Is this best girl or worst girl /v/?
>>
>>320609553
oh...well 13 pisses me off because it looks like it has gameplay that would appeal to me yet nothing from what I seen appeals to me(story, charcters, setting and feel)
>>
Are any of the mobile remakes worth playing? or are they ALL shit?
>>
Sorry, but I just can't accept sitting by and letting you people talk trash about Final Fantasy XIII. FFXIII is a stunningly beautiful game with an engaging plot and a fascinating world to explore. Yes, it's linear. Yes, the combat system is a departure from pretty much anything we've ever seen from Final Fantasy. But the game is really good. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
>>
9 is shit
>>
>>320608826
Basically:
>ultimecia - a future sorceress - has been hunted all her life by SeeD in her time
>to prevent her foretold death at their hands, she sends her consciousness backwards through time with the use of technology based on Odine's Junction Machine Ellone
>the machine sends her consciousness to Squall's time, where FFVIII start
>She possesses edea, infiltrates the galbadian government and uses their resources to find ellone, who is alive in this time
>ellone has the power to send her even further back in time, which is necessary for ultimecia to exist in past, present and future at once in order to compress time to save herself
>squall and co are spared after the failed assassination attempted in order to extract information about SeeD's objectives and specifically why they hunt sorceresses, which ultimecia does not know in her time
>skip forward, ultimecia succeeds in compressing time, ending all life
>she assumes she is safe, but it turns out that the events that caused her to be hunted in the first place were the actions she made in the past (her future)
>squall and co use the anamoly in the time compression to travel to her time
>they confront and defeat her, and time begins to decompress
>the decompression allows her to phyiscally travel backwards through time, and she arrives at the orpanage where squall grew up many years before FFVIII
>in order for her to die and find peace, she has to pass her powers along
>edea is the first female in sight, and she passes her sorceress powers to her
>squall has followed her into the past and witnesses the event
>before realizing that he's in the past, he mentions SeeD and the future sorceress to edea
>squall returns to the void, and edea, recognizing him as the boy at the orphanage, vows to train the children there in the use of GFs to fight ultimecia in the future to ensure that history repeats itself
Cid Shows Squall considerable favor throughout FFVIII because he knows that the future depends on him.
>>
>>320609873

They're all shit. Shame though, because most of the enemy sprites are fine.
>>
>>320609775
>out of nowhere trap mattered more to the team than a character that already had writing and plot done and ready to go with
>>
>>320609672
I have forty years, what now?
>>
>>320609902

You're shit
>>
>>320609427

It's way too strong for me. He can't stop screeming her name throughout the entire disc and the space rescue scene was unnecessarily long. It was some soap opera shit.
>>
>>320609564
stay mad, six-spic
>>
>>320609845
The main thing that got me into XIII was just admiring the enviroments and the music. Honestly it doesn't have much else going for it but I enjoyed the first one for what it was. Hope was a complete turd in the first one especially though.

I think i would of hated XIII if i played the english dub, the jap voices make it SO much better. I originally imported XIII from japan before it got released in the west and I pirated the later ones on my ps3 with CFW for english text and jap voices.
>>
File: index.jpg (9 KB, 263x192) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9 KB, 263x192
>>320610002
I feel like it was done that way on purpose because FFVIII, at its core, was meant to be a love story.

Check the logo. This is the only FF Logo that clearly features a man and a woman embracing each other. Not even FFIX is as clear in its intentions as FFVIII was.
>>
>>320609967
If that is indeed the case I will be silent.
>>
Just think if ultimecia didn't exist or wasn't done the way she was and Edea and a renewed war between Galbadia and Esthar was the main focus what a much better game it could have been. I mean you have the hardish fantasy military scifi setting with nations and politics that right now as it stands pretty well written even with the existing lack of focus and they drop it for evangelion bullshit.
>>
>>320609906
How people usually see the story:
>hurr durr they were all at the same orphange
>hurr durr they just couldn't remember due to the use of GFs
>hurr durr fucking retarded coincidence
>hurr durr who the fuck is ultimecia
>hurr durr this is random as fuck
>muh dumb plot twists
>>
>>320610205
>9 shows a crystal
>its a love letter to all the previous games
>>
File: Necron.png (561 KB, 641x479) Image search: [Google]
Necron.png
561 KB, 641x479
Sup guys
>>
>>320602375
My first JRPG was Dragon Quest 3. The PS1 FFs are the best gen of FFs and JRPGs in general. Fuck you.
>>
>>320610205
>was meant to be a love story.
NO JUST NO! that was what it became it was extremely forced and didn't come out as a actual thing till disc 2-3.
>>
>>320603196
>hurr durr character has jump ability only love letter to 4

Faggot.
>>
>>320610319
>random as fuck
Yup, no hints here.
>>
>>320608348
>copy

Geez Squaresoft copying Squaresoft so heretic amirite
>>
>>320610420
yeah that was a shitty way of saying it the fantasy setting and ff memes was the "love letter" but nothing was special about it I mean 6 wasn't too long before and wasn't a needed thing.
>>
>>320610628
I like 8 but that wasn't flushed out or mattered at all to the story other than a lol "deep"
>>
>>320610628
>the player forgets, so meta.

honestly, i always chalked it up to squall simply being a dick to everyone.
>>
>>320610628
>>320609906
damn I didn't know any of this shit. Maybe I should give ff8 another shot sometime and actually try to pay attention
>>
File: 1436534048527.gif (999 KB, 500x339) Image search: [Google]
1436534048527.gif
999 KB, 500x339
>>320610823
catcher in the rye m8
>>
>>320609906
In other words, it's a time paradox clusterfuck.
>ultimecia's future actions are what causes the SeeD of the past to hunt her, which is in turn what causes her to take the future actions which lead to the formation of SeeD

>>320610628
Exactly. It's explained to you not 5 minutes into the game if you take some time to read through the classroom terminal. Not a plot twist, which was the point, though. It's not even relevant to the story, all things considered.
>>
>>320610594
Are you stupid? A love story doesn't have to start off that way, idiot. In fact, usually that type of thing takes time.

FFVIII was meant to be a love story, PERIOD. Accept it.
>>
>>320610950
there's nothing to "pay attention" too as it doesn't matter disc 1 and 2 are great and you should enjoy them everything after is fun as well and should just enjoy the ride since the cgi cutscenes as the prerender background is still pretty amazing to look at today if your not a modern fag
>>
>>320611085
yeah you tell yourself that while listen to Eyes On Me for the millionth time in the middle of praising the weakest and most forced part of the game
>>
>>320602375

Final Fantasy 9 is the only one I've played
>>
>>320603236
>everyone can agree on that
Gee thanks for letting me have an opinion, god.
>>
>>320602605
>FF5 and 6 are more overrated in terms of how good they actually are vs how much praise they get.

maybe 6 but 5 is the best in the fucking franchise, and it barely gets any love
>>
>>320611105
If you don't pay attention in FFVIII, you get the misconceptions that have turned into a meme, as well as the utter retardation that is "Squall is Dead." If anything, this is the one FF game that requires attention to even be remotely comprehended.
>>
>>320602375
VIII > VII >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> IX
>>
Necron a shit. Literally single-handedly ruined the FF9 finale.
>>
>>320611436
If you don't understand what's happening before the ultimecia plot is shoved up your ass then you have some serious mental problem the story was cut and dry till then.
>>
>>320611641
>you have some serious mental problem
That's describing most of the FF fanbase. Not even a third of them could explain the plot of FFVIII to you.
>>
>Favorite Tier
IV, V, VI, IX

>Good Tier
VII, XII

>Meh Tier
XIII

>Couldn't finish it tier
VIII, X

>Haven't played it
I, II, III

>MMO Tier
XI, XIV
>>
File: lol.jpg (25 KB, 534x366) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
25 KB, 534x366
>>320611218
Yeah man the whole romance thing was totally just a sideshow and was not an integral and defining part of the game.

I mean it's not like they PUT IT ON THE LOGO OR ANYTHING, RIGHT?
>>
>>320612181
The romance was irrelevant. The major theme is fate. The plot is literally about inescapable destiny. Everything else is highly irrelevant and considered padding.
>>
File: laughing pepe.png (121 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
laughing pepe.png
121 KB, 258x245
>>320612181
Nah that's not a romantic embrace, Squall is clearly squeezing the life out of her because he's a badass edgy killer protagonist who don't need no woman.
>>
>>320611908
I don't even consider them Final Fantasy games anymore. Nothing released after X has been good.
>>
File: 1413230368096.jpg (12 KB, 228x238) Image search: [Google]
1413230368096.jpg
12 KB, 228x238
>>320602375
As a man who played every Final Fantasy title (1-3 in emulator) over the course of his life I am inclined to tell you that you are wrong. There is nothing wrong with 7, 8 & 9. If you claim these titles are overrated then you simply seek to shitpost. It doesn't matter which one is overrated, underrated or properly rated. Each title brings something different to the franchise and are perfectly fine titles on their own.
But since you made me respond to your obvious bate, I'll give you credit and answer your shitty statement:
Out of all the FF titles the 8th installment was by far the worst and "overrated" in the general opinion.
>>
File: Happy frogman2.png (48 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
Happy frogman2.png
48 KB, 500x282
>>320612485
Oh really? So why didn't they make a logo that represents "inescapable destiny," then?

To me that logo looks like Squall and Rinoa holding each other. Strange.
>>
File: 1422936571223.png (195 KB, 982x400) Image search: [Google]
1422936571223.png
195 KB, 982x400
>>320612181
It's a bird you moron.
>>
>>320612181
after the fact shit is not evidence the love plot was something obviously shoehorned later in development not something day one since it would have been done alot better and actually met something to the plot which it absolutely does not. Also why are you shilling the worst part of the game Is that really the thing that roped you in? and not the military fantasy scifi setting?
>>
>>320612624
Because it's a major plot twist, and 90's waifu faggots were deceived into playing it.
>>
File: 1448862504397.jpg (118 KB, 684x552) Image search: [Google]
1448862504397.jpg
118 KB, 684x552
>>320610628
>>320610984
>>
>>320602375
No psx was the best Gen for rpgs you underage faggot
>>
File: whatever.gif (786 KB, 476x299) Image search: [Google]
whatever.gif
786 KB, 476x299
>>320611218
holy shit someone else agrees how retarded the love story was in 8.
>>
File: final fantasy ix.jpg (121 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
final fantasy ix.jpg
121 KB, 800x600
9 is the best of the three and the last good FF in general barring the spin-offs barring any compilation faggotry. 7 is a good game with an insufferable fandom. 8 is just awful and encapsulates everything wrong with the series in a nutshell.

>muh socially awkward sperg MC who always seems to want to kill himself
>muh "tee hee look how naive and silly I am! XD" romantic interest
>muh wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey bullshit
>>
>>320612181
I'm pretty sure they intended it to be.

Too bad they failed. Just like many good things they attempted and failed in 8. To me, it's the game that could have been the best if it didn't fail at about everything it tried.

Except triple triad, that was solid.
>>
>>320610628
so if those are an indicator of how badly the amnesia is (considering he gets his first GF at the start, in class), then how is it he's able to remember the course of the game? forgetting your childhood not 5 minutes into the start seems like pretty powerful amnesia.

or, it's just a stupid plot "twist" you're supposed to go oh my god that's so neat! no, it's retarded.
>>
>>320612990
FF8 has the absolute best glitches. I remember a giant red Jumbo Cactuar foot spawning as one of the party members when I had 3 Seifers. Also, one time Squall started to warp and melt through the floor. Sides in orbit.
>>
File: 1391512504878.gif (335 KB, 368x224) Image search: [Google]
1391512504878.gif
335 KB, 368x224
>>320612990
thought that was a common thing but like alot of things I thought were common views on the series I was very very wrong and sometimes left completely confused by out of left field some are
>>
File: FF7 vs FF13.jpg (66 KB, 458x475) Image search: [Google]
FF7 vs FF13.jpg
66 KB, 458x475
>>320602375
>Cause babby's first jrpg.

Not anymore it isn't.
>>
>>320613282
when rinoa's sides were literally in orbit my sides were figuratively in orbit. how anyone could find that serious is beyond me.
>>
>>320604141

Why does nobody know what nihilism is?
>>
>>320613431
that was after the game dropped, disc 2 last good disc
>>
File: FF PS1 trilogy protags.png (648 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
FF PS1 trilogy protags.png
648 KB, 1500x1000
>>320613101
>muh deep motivations

Unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that the characters themselves are one-note as fuck. Too bad that's all autists look for these days in characters, just idealized Mary Sue power fantasies they can self-insert as and feel like a badass instead of characters with, you know, actual flaws and real emotions.

>7 is a good game with an insufferable fandom.

I'd much rather deal with 7's braindead weeaboos than 9's cancerous hipster faggots, because at least the former keep their retardation to themselves.
>>
I just miss having an overworld map to traverse, and detailed locations.

bring airships we can actually fly back, pls.

and boats
or rental cars
or submarines
or space whales
or drill cars
or secret locations in corner of map,
or island closest to hell
>>
>>320613693

not him but I'm a huge 9 fan as well and don't see any reason to hate on 7 8 or 9 at all

You cucks disgust me
>>
File: 1391511554078.gif (210 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
1391511554078.gif
210 KB, 480x320
backgrounds?
>>
>>320614608
How did you bypass the word filter?
>>
7>9>8
One was good.
One was bland.
One was dogshit.
>>
>>320614608
7 is too over hyped and drops after midgar and the rage inducing bullshit coming out of "fans" on /v/ lately is too much to like it even if after the drop it still stays the most consistent out of 3.
>>
>>320614814
YES please, moar.
>>
File: 1449252759238.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1449252759238.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>320614901
been lifted
>>
File: 1391511428953.gif (447 KB, 480x352) Image search: [Google]
1391511428953.gif
447 KB, 480x352
>>320615029
ok but also try to post to keep the thread alive if you have something to say as this has been the most chill and intelligent ff thread since the remake reveal
>>
File: 34 - U2iZq6i.gif (113 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
34 - U2iZq6i.gif
113 KB, 320x224
8 has the best graphics, backgrounds, tone and setting(to me personally) out of the 3
>>
>>320615230
8 was by far my favorite, if not simply for triple triad. Everything else is kinda meh as far as old SqEnix goes, but the story was indeed superb.
>>
>>320615065
>aura
>low health
ishygddt
>>
>>320605089
It's only the hipster choice BECAUSE it was initially ignored and disregarded. Idiot.
>>
>>320613343
And FF7 is so easy that you don't need any of those commands except Attack. :^)
>>
>>320613512
Ok, not technically nihilism, but rather negative utilitarianism. This ain't a philosophy class, cut me some slack.
>>
File: comfy.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
comfy.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
FFXIII can get surprisingly comfy when you aren't being chased across a war-torn battlefield
>>
>>320605321
I dunno. I played Chrono Trigger for the first time only a few years ago, and I found it to be a pretty flawless experience. Easily one of my favorite JRPGs.
>>
File: 79 - haR4GoD.gif (511 KB, 320x448) Image search: [Google]
79 - haR4GoD.gif
511 KB, 320x448
>>320615557
remember the train assassination I really wish it could have kept to the political espionage and military stuff of the first disc also this gif is the point 8 goes off the rails for me
>>
>These games are shit
>Here let me tell you about jrpgs that are clearly superior:
>...
>>
>>320612181
Even in the logo, Squall looks like he doesn't give a shit.
>I love you.
>...
>Whatever.
>>
File: 89 - sRFQX8o.gif (594 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
89 - sRFQX8o.gif
594 KB, 320x224
>>320615704
no shit tard
>>320615979
don't dissagree
>>
>>320609906
This... is still retarded as fuck.
>>
>>320616397
But you're even more retarded than the plot itself for not being able to comprehend this as an adult without someone spoon feeding you.
>>
File: lestullum.webm (2 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
lestullum.webm
2 MB, 720x404
>liking prerender background
>>
>>320616614
I never played the game beyond disc 1. It sucked too much.
>>
anyone got any cinematic webm's from final fantasy 8?

pref the squall being a badass at the end of disc 1 pls.
>>
File: 82 - UGZhIGt.gif (446 KB, 336x240) Image search: [Google]
82 - UGZhIGt.gif
446 KB, 336x240
anyone got Deling City gifs?
>>
>>320616805
That's because you were born in 2002 and didn't follow anyone's advice regarding getting Enc-None and 100 Tornados junctioned to strength within literally the first 3 hours of the game.
>>
File: 1416186928761.png (62 KB, 227x221) Image search: [Google]
1416186928761.png
62 KB, 227x221
>>320616784
>driving on the wrong side of the road
>>
>>320616947
>need to follow advice and abuse game's shitty mechanics to break it in order to make it tolerable
Haw.
>>
>>320617073
>being this much of an americlap

Why did I have to be born here
>>
File: 40 - Zk2ExpX.gif (391 KB, 448x224) Image search: [Google]
40 - Zk2ExpX.gif
391 KB, 448x224
>>320616906
no would like them as well also this is the best video of them as it adds context and shows the cutscenes as the prerender background tech they did which is still awesome https://youtu.be/cotUphqmEJ0
>>
>>320602375
7 >>> 9

I haven't played 8.
>>
I just feel bad for people that couldn't find enjoyment in all three; you really missed out.
>>
>>320617196
Most of the world drives on the right. I know you like to gloat about how America is a minority on things like temperature and measurements and shit, but Bongland and the Moon are pretty much the only major places that drive on the left. You're the retards who can't get with the times on this respect. Deal with it.
>>
I love all three of these games.

They were the first FF games I played along with Tactics and they blew my mind at the time and around the age of like, 9, 10, 11 years old?

I've been a fan of the series since and enough so that I went back and played the old ones.

I think overall 8 is the best out of the three. It looks the best and plays the best. I'd rank them 8 >/= 7 > 9.

Not that 9 is bad. It's just not as profound as 7 or 8. It's more simplistic and whimsical. It's also painfully slow compared to the other two.
>>
>>320617196
Excuse me?
>>
>>320617414
I think most posters here did. They just like shitposting.
>>
I'm thinking about downloading the Final Fantasy games on the computer and playing them, but feel I might be too tempted to modify them and fuck the experience up.
>>
The best Final Fantasy is IV
>>
I didn't like 9 at all. I quit about five hours in because no aspect of it interested me.

I didn't feel drawn in by the characters, the world, the combat system, the magic system, or the story.
>>
>>320617196
>car is clearly inspired by American cars
>buildings, road signs and atmosphere are clearly inspired by west coast America
>car drives on left
They dun goofed

>>320617565
I always wondered what would happen when travelling between two countries where they drive on different sides of the road. Is there like, a designated switchover place after you pass the border or what?
>>
>>320617694
I felt this way about 8
>>
>>320617694
That game doesn't really get started for me until I reach Treno. The beginning is really slow to start up, but boy howdy does it finish strong.

Ozma is easily the most devastating opponent in Final Fantasy history.

Omega and Ruby aint got shit on Ozma.
>>
>People ITT shitting on FFVIII's love story
Is this ironic shitposting or are y'all just 2kewl4me? I thought that game's love story was really touching.
>>
File: 1448651432830.png (355 KB, 500x520) Image search: [Google]
1448651432830.png
355 KB, 500x520
>>320609351
Have u ever been In love? It's complicated
>>
>>320617196
>being this retarded
Literally worse than claplander.

Bongistan is mini-america, only less self-conscious and therefore more retarded.
>>
File: 59 - wVrNFxd.gif (307 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
59 - wVrNFxd.gif
307 KB, 320x224
>>320617872
I defend the story but the love story along side other parts really draggs it down.
>>
>>320617823
>>
>>320618130
Hah. Neat.
>>
>>320602375
nigger, my first JRPG was chrono trigger when I was 8 waay back in 1999

>tfw 4 years after release

whatever. all three FF games are extremely good, i've replayed them over the years.

all 3 are very easy because of exploitable mechanics.

7 suffers from aging like shit and poor translation, but the story is fucking fantastic.

8 suffers and benefits from junction system which is rewarding as fuck although hard to grasp at first. the real fault is the story which falls apart and turns into shit near the end

9 is fucking awesome. even if the skill system is retarded, the chacarcters are among the best the series ever had, but in turn the story is very generic, even if by design. the game more than makes up for it by oozing charm i'd say.
>>
>>320602375
9 is the best one
7 is overrated but it's still pretty good
8 is bad but not as bad and everyone makes it out to be.
>>
>>320618130
>humanity will never stop designing architecture and tools to look like dicks

My high school parking lot looked like a huge dick too.

Kinda funny.
>>
>>320618130
Fucking why?
>>
I played all this years ago i barely remember any of the story at all.

Just like em because of nostalgia.
>>
>>320609057
last part is shit.

i love all the references throughout the game about memory problems induced by the GF, but the whole orphanage thing was cringey as fuck, even when I played it for the first time when I was 12 i thought it was stupid.
>>
>>320618402
It's because of the shitty writing imo. I'm sure they could've found a better way to handle that situation.
>>
File: tumblr_mp4ym5RDfS1r0o9oho1_500.jpg (20 KB, 500x351) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mp4ym5RDfS1r0o9oho1_500.jpg
20 KB, 500x351
VI > V > VII >> XII > X = VIII > IV > IX >>> XIV
>>
File: 19 - HEYnisH.gif (163 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
19 - HEYnisH.gif
163 KB, 320x240
>>320618193
7's story was strongest during midgar then out of the blue throws shinra under a bus shoves SEPHIROTH JENOVA SEPHIROTH JENOVA bullshit down your throat which dragged the game down to okish levels for the rest of the game
>>
Necron is foreshadowed

The calamity is talked about multiple times and the dungeon with the map of the worlds shoves it in your face

Not to mention, if you've ever played an FF game you'll know broken crystals = bad news

In addition, 6 is the most overrated and also the worst SNES FF.
>>
>>320618498
>get to Kalm inn
>input cable
>keep pressing X on the PS controller until the show is over

It sucks in FF8 how you actually have to move around and go through the orphanage to make it continue.
>>
File: angry_pepe.jpg (40 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
angry_pepe.jpg
40 KB, 900x900
>>320618638
>7's story was strongest during midgar
Why the fuck do people actually think this? You're basically disregarding the entire purpose of the game. I'm sure this has to be b8.

Midgar was fucking annoying and not fun, and the game picked up AFTER leaving it. Not the other way around.
>>
>>320618638
i thought the jenova twist was fucking brilliant.
it all tied together so well in the end.
>>
>>320618756
both were fun, but there's no denying the mystery during the shinra HQ raid and sephiroth is amazing in the beginning of the game.

it gets really good later too, but the mystery is half the fun.
>>
>>320618756
Midgar had a lot of character, and you spend just enough time there for it to feel like home.

When you get out to the rest of the world, every town and area feels foreign by comparison.

It's natural people would be attached to that part of the game.
>>
>>320618756
>the entire purpose of the game

um sets up a cyber-bio punk setting about freedom fighters vs a evil corp destroying the planet(which was a common plot point in japan since the 70's) then drops it during the big raid to focus on edgelord and throws shinra out the window only to pull it back in when they wanted to use them during the "good" parts. Shira is massively powerful, controls the world and has to resources to hunt you down and destroy everything in there way only to do fuck all. Either do a shinra plot or do a sephiroth plot they did barely either.
>>
>>320602375
7 and 8 are overrated for the fact of being babbys first rpg, yes.

When you compare how important that people think FF7 is compared to how important that people think OoT is, there's a difference between the appreciation that makes FF7 in particular overrated.

ff7 did nothing supremely new with the series except give it 3D graphics. The gameplay was identical to previous FF, the storytelling was the same as previous FF, it was just FF rendered in 3D. On the other hand, OoT actually used 3D to its benefit with first-person aiming for special items which made use of level design, lock-on targeting, joystick-direction determined attack animations, multiple item buttons - stuff that has not only been copied into future zelda games but also copied by other genres and games, such as Devil May Cry.

i don't think 9 is overrated cause i don't think 9 is actually pretty popular.

but yes ff7 was overrated cause the only new thing it did was have a lot of 3D polygon graphics.
>>
>>320617646
Only real modifications that you need are the various color, music patches for the GBA ports and re localization and uncensored patches for whatever you want. You can enhance them pretty easily without modifying game play.
>>
>>320619315
>ff7 more overrated than ocarina of time

This is bait.
>>
10 is without a doubt the most overrated. The only people that love it are the kids that grew up with it. It's so fucking bad and disgrace to JRPGs everywhere.
>>
7 and 9 are absurdly overrated, but they have legit qualities that make them pretty good

8 is the best trading card game ever made, I mean sure adding a plot that makes no sense and broken+boring JRPG fights was a bit unnecessary, but oh well
>>
>>320602375
I've literally never made it past 30 minutes in any of them.

FFTA is the best final fantasy game.
>>
>>320618756
The JENOVA and Sephiroth portion of the game are really hard to follow, due to really abysmal pacing and an even worse translation.
>>
File: 141215495.jpg (5 KB, 249x251) Image search: [Google]
141215495.jpg
5 KB, 249x251
>Junction System is complicated

I was like 11 when I first played FF8 and it was my 3rd JRPG ever and never found it any complicated at all
>>
File: 55 - ayTUMEX.gif (223 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
55 - ayTUMEX.gif
223 KB, 320x224
noone?
>>
>>320610679
>NINTENDO ALWAYS MAKE THE SAME MARIO GAME
>I-it's o-okay when Square does it
nice
>>
>>320602375
Dude, 9 was the triumphant return of the series, wtf are you talking about.
>>
How's the steam version of FF7?
>>
>>320622231
same as the orginal pc version but compatable
>>
>>320621972
bait thread dog kids are on winter break
>>
>>320622231
its only downside compared to the PS1 version is battle frame-rate capped to 15FPS which fucks over slot-based limit breaks but everything else is the same as the PS1 version now (the translation got polished in a few parts too)
>>
>>320617823
I know that some trucks you can slide the wheel and the pedals through the panel so when you cross the eurotunnel from france to england everything is fine.
>>
>>320622543
Weird, I play it locked 30fps. I just turn of original graphic mode.
>>
>>320610504
DIdn't make a lick of sense, but hot did he put up a good fight.
>>
>>320623365
yeah game is locked at 30 AND has forced frameskip, it's pretty nuts
>>
>>320620630
I don't think it's complicated, I just think it's dumb. There is nothing enjoyable drawing/refining spells and basically just pasting them onto the characters, and I don't like how pretty much every character is a blank slate that is ultimately just the sum of whatever amount of spells you had the patience to slap onto them. Also, the fact that basic shit like the item and magic commands need to be enabled by equipping GFs is super retarded and pointless.

I prefer when characters have pre-defined roles, and the strategy in the game comes from equipping them to accentuate their strengths and patch their weaknesses. My favorite equipment/stat altering system has to be the Djinni from Golden Sun. It's a bit like junctioning GFs, but without the annoyingly long summon animations, and finding and mixing/matching Djinni is way more fun and drawing and junctioning spells.
Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.