[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark soul tips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: Dark Souls.jpg (111 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Dark Souls.jpg
111 KB, 1280x800
I've just started playing dark souls, and wondered if you guys had any tips for me.
>>
Try not to die
Die
Learn from your previous death
Try again
>>
>>320591609
Don't level up Resistance.
Get out of this thread and play it blind.
>>
>>320591609
Don't ask for tips
>>
>>320591609
Kill dogs first

Someone post the infographic
>>
It autosaves every few seconds so if you kill an npc you're shit out of luck
>>
Kill the dogs first
i hope you picked the master key as your starting gift or else you get to go through the shittiest area in the game
>>
If you didn't choose the master key as your starting gift make sure you get at least 1 purging stone before going into the depths
>>
>>320592025
>shitters in charge of giving advice
>>
>>320591826
This is a meme OP, Resistance is pretty useful, be sure to drop a few points in it early game.

When you get to Firelink if you find yourself in a Graveyard fighting skeletons be sure to push through, don't be discouraged!

Be sure to use all your Humanity as soon as you pick it up, don't leave it in your inventory doing nothing!
>>
the more annoyed you are the worse you'll do. If you get stuck, stop and come back to the game later.
>>
>>320592025
The first time you play you should explore everywhere. That unfortunately includes blight town.
>>
patience
>>
Acquire skill.
Become proficient.

(and this is the most important one coming up right here--)

GIT GUD
>>
File: Basilisk.png (109 KB, 384x320) Image search: [Google]
Basilisk.png
109 KB, 384x320
>>320592123
Also if you see these giant frog looking things with big eyes go in for the kill! They have some good drops
>>
After you reach firelink shrine, just sit there and not move. Everywhere you go, it'll be spooky and scary.
>>
>>320592025
>not doing Blighttown correctly for your first playthrough
>not feeling a sense of wonder and accomplishment after you make it all the way down
Its like you hate experiencing games how they were meant to be played
>>
>>320592396
fuck off crestfallen we all know you sit at firelink and shitpost all day
>>
>>320591609
It's really simple OP, you just need to G I T G U D
>>
>>320591609
Play it blind the first time round, remember that there's a bell above and below, play cautiously and bait out enemies and study how they attack
>>
Don't give up, you will get knocked down many times.
>>
Go slow try to lure enemies out one at a time a bow and first person aim to help with this

shoot the dragons tail until something happens
>>
>>320591609
hug and circle enemies for free backstabs
>>
>>320593703
Don't listen, it corrupts your file and makes that character unplayable
>>
>>320592149
>>320592025
>>320592404
Blighttown top isn't even that bad if you carry a bow or happened to grab the spider shield (I was using it purely by coincidence on my first run without even knowing what it did)

Blighttown is literally just eliminating toxin snipers and the rest is cake, even the mosquitos that vibrate through the floor
>>
>>320591609
here's a tip op
circle around people and backstab, repeat till you win since the combat is so shitty
>>
90% of the enemies can be backstabbed and have no tracking

The way the enemies ai work, is that you coral all of them up, get a backstab on one, and just be invunerable and continusly backstab the rest of the enemies. The games a joke difficulty wise. Watch out for some of the terrible lingering and detached hitboxes some of the enemies and bosses have though, the worst example being ceaseless discharge.

Take 5 minutes to learn how to parry, as it makes the only difficult place and boss in the game a complete joke as well
>>
>>320591609

just do a blind run retard, that's how you'll enjoy the game.
>>
>tfw picked master key
>accidentally skipped lower burgtown or wherever the capra demon is
>made it all the way to wyvern valley without ever knowing about blighttown
>go in through the backway
>think this is weird
>read about the capra demon on 4chan, think "huh i never found him"
>go through lower burg, then the sewer section with the massive dragon thing, then finally into the bigass hole into blight town

no short cuts
>>
>>320592123
>>320592315
>lol i'm so witty le XD le ebin troll

Ignore this OP
>>
>>320591609

Enemies have hearing, bash pots and hit walls to lure them away from their friends.
You are completely invulnerable while doing a back stab or a riposte.
IGN is bad, do not get the fucking drake sword.
Kicking a blocking target will stagger it.
Darkroot Garden is full of creatures that drop antidotes, antitoxin and anti bleed items.
Capra demon is easily distracted.
Bosses can fall off cliffs just like you.
You can go back to the undead asylum with some careful jumping
>>
DO
NOT
UNDER
ANY
CIRCUMSTANCES
waste points in res

if you hurt an NPC and they get mad at you, including important ones that you dont want mad at you, there's a guy you can pay to stop that
>>
>>320591609
Yeah, don't play with anyone. Otherwise you can't access bonfires. It's really stupid. I lost all my progress at one point playing with someone because I couldn't save and we died on the boss. It was stupid.
>>
>>320594008
>IGN is bad, do not get the fucking drake sword.
The Drake Sword actually is an unavoidably good weapon, it just cheapens your experience by making the game easy. I would argue the same is true of Havel's armor or luring out enemies with a bow, but that's just me.
>>
>>320594008
>Enemies have hearing, bash pots and hit walls to lure them away from their friends.

500 hours and never thought of this, thanks senpai
>>
>>320593907
>>320593961
These, and if you want to make the game even easier, just get a weapon like the claymore or zwiehander, which are both at the beginning area of the game. Agro all the enmies in an area, and just swing like a moron. They all get staggered and die like bitches. Works for most the game
>>
>>320591962
>It autosaves every few seconds so if you kill an npc you're shit out of luck

I fucking love this. No idea why other games haven't learned this.

In Fallout games i'll go on a rampage, then reload and play it how I was supposed to. No, in Souls games your actions have real meaning.
>>
>>320594237
I wouldn't bother with Fallout if I couldn't do that though

Something about Fallout makes me want to murder everyone I meet. I always get the "disable essential NPCs" mods
>>
Estoc is an early weapon and it's pretty solid.

Learn how to switch between two handed and one handed. The main difference is the move-set.

Oh and pick weapons based on moveset, range and other things rather than damage.
>>
>>320594139
drake sword is not as good as the long sword
>>
>>320594139

Drake sword is a nice weapon early game but it has no stat scaling and mid damage. Why use it when I can have a Longsword that has scaling, a better moveset and does nearly the same damage?
>>
>>320591609

the only things you should know going in are to read item descriptions, use dsfix, and don't level resistance
>>
File: 1449291779834.png (296 KB, 649x649) Image search: [Google]
1449291779834.png
296 KB, 649x649
>>320594459
Why not use it until you notice it becoming weak?
>>
Not OP, but I just got Demons Souls and Dark Souls 1/2 for my PS3. Not going to do anything but try to beat all of them by around New Years. Is it possible for an average pleb gamer like me?
>>
>>320591609
Lvl dex
Get a spear
Get lighting
Run around naked and dodge roll like the op bitch you are
>>
>>320594868
No chance, you won't even finish one.
>>
>>320594947
Well shit, guess I'll just play DES first and pray for the best
>>
Protip
Magic= ez mode
>>
File: 1449383715777.gif (2 MB, 846x563) Image search: [Google]
1449383715777.gif
2 MB, 846x563
>>320595051
God speed you glorious faggot
>>
>>320594459
casual.
>>
>>320592025
You know you can go through darkroot to drakes to blighttown right?
>>
File: 1444476777306.png (49 KB, 541x566) Image search: [Google]
1444476777306.png
49 KB, 541x566
>using shitty drakesword
>claymore right there on the bridge waiting for you
>>
So I haven't played DaS on PC since they got rid of gfwl and introduced steamworks. Did they fix anything else with that version or do I still need that one program gedosato something to fix resolution and shit?
>>
>>320594868
Yeah, take your time and enjoy, great games, especially Dark Souls imho. Demon's souls is fine too, Dark Souls 2.. ehh
>>
>>320595051

Demon's Souls is probably the shortest overall, and arguably the easiest, although on a blind playthrough it can still be pretty punishing and take a while.

Finishing it by New Year's isn't unlikely assuming you have a decent amount of time to play though. You could maybe even finish Dark Souls as well if you tried. Finishing all three by New Years is basically impossible.

Also be sure to pick up the DLC for Dark Souls 1/2 if you don't have it/didn't buy SotFS. The DaS1 DLC is generally great and has a couple of the best bosses in the game, and most people consider the DaS2 DLC better than the base game itself.
>>
>>320596183
you just need dsfix
>>
>>320594868
You might hate it at first and think it's not meant for you, but then everything starts clicking and you fall in love. Happened to me with both Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma.
>>
File: backstabbu.png (8 KB, 765x271) Image search: [Google]
backstabbu.png
8 KB, 765x271
>>320591609
Here's a tip about backstabs:

Backstab detection has to do with the angle you're facing, not necessarily where you are standing physically. As long as you are standing so that you facing the same angle as your opponent it will succeed. The game will happily teleport you several feet as long as you are lined up properly. Don't point at their back, just point in the same direction as them.

It's not intuitive and it's hard to figure out on your own but in practice it feels pretty natural, since you can whip your character around with the stick to quickly get into the right spot. During some animations it can be hard to tell where your enemy is facing , but as long as they aren't on the ground you can land one. They will be knocked onto the ground after a backstab so if you position yourself right you can get another one right after they stand up, but that can be hard to time.

Enemies will detect you almost exclusively by hearing, their vision is pretty bad. If you walk around and avoid their vision cone you can sneak around pretty easy, just don't swing your weapon around as footsteps and weapon clanks will immediately alert everyone around.
>>
>>320596295
>>320596445
>>320597975
thanks family
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.