[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why did we have to kill Mergo? Why did Gehrman want us to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: mergos_wet_nurse[1].jpg (23 KB, 365x365) Image search: [Google]
mergos_wet_nurse[1].jpg
23 KB, 365x365
So why did we have to kill Mergo? Why did Gehrman want us to murder a baby?
>>
Because Gehrman gets off on that type of shit.
>>
>>320589534
Mergo was the entire subject of the hunt.
>>
>>320589797
Really?
>>
>>320589846
Still dont understand what was entirely going on.
>>
The plot is pretty simple but I get lost at Mergo also we dont kill him, only the wet nurse
>>
>>320589534
I think Moon Presence had it out for Mergo, or any great one for that matter.
>>
>>320590421

You didn't play the game, did you?
>>
>>320590563
I did
>>
>>320589846
Yes. The reason the messengers brought you to the dream to be trained as a hunter was because Gehrman and the Moon Presence needed you to kill Mergo.
>>
File: 1431694105317.jpg (41 KB, 373x341) Image search: [Google]
1431694105317.jpg
41 KB, 373x341
>>320590786
Did mergo even exist though? I thought they just forcibly removed him from Yarnham and the crib is empty, or is that because he is the son of that omipotent great one who has no physical form?
>>
>>320590912
I think Mergo died a long time ago, his death is probably part of the chain of events that set the beastly scourge in motion. You're just chasing his memory, like everyone else, trying to gain eyes.
>>
>>320590912
I don't think Mergo is Oedon's child.
Oedon had a child with Arianna, and it was completely different to Mergo. I think Mergo is either the child of a completely different Great One, or was spontaneously brought into existence by the Pthumerian's blood use, being a parentless Great One.
>>
>>320589534
Gehrman didn't want anything but to be free. The Moon Presence otoh.
>>
>>320590912
Mergo doesn't exist as we know it.
Remember, you're doing all this in another state of being. The Hunter's Dream & Nightmare Realms operate on no-rules. The School of Mensis used this weird backward logic to commune with Mergo even though it was dead.

Long story short, they shook an umbilical chord in the name of a dead baby old one and that's why a lot of bad stuff happened.
>>
Because Moon Presence is one of those Moon Master Race Ayy Lmaos who kills babies because he's so edgy.
>>
Why did Mergo need to die? Was he supposed to be the broly of Bloodborne?
>>
>>320591615
He's the fag baby drawing the Eldritch fags with his cries.
>>
>>320589534
Because abortions mean empowerment for women, and Gehrman is all about empowering women
>>
The note in the hunters dream near the rune station literally says find the source of the nightmare and stop it

Guess who was the source of the nightmare
>>
>find out what a wet nurse is
Why would someone do that? It's kinda disgusting.
>>
>>320594582
Why is it disgusting?
It's better than feeding the baby cow milk.
>>
>>320590421
Did you not notice that the crying stopped about 30 seconds after Wetnurse dies and then NIGHTMARE SLAIN appears across the screen?
>>
>>320594582
Why? Breast feeding is the natural way of feeding a baby.
>>
how accurate is this:

Long ago some niggas called the pthumerians made contact with an ayyylmao named Oeden who knocked up their queen.

The queen died in childbirth, the babby died too, and the society crumbled.

Ages later a school at Byrgenwyrth finds the dead babby in the ruins of the pthumeru labyrinth and starts fucking with the blood from the corpse, finding it heals people.

Soon after, Kos (a great one from the sea) washes up on shore on the fishing hamlet and transforms its residents and has a babby. Kos dies but the babby lives.

Byrgenwyrth finds the village and does horrible experiments on the transformed people, trying to make an emissary to communucate with great ones

Kos' orphan flips its shit and curses the old blood with vermin, which turn those who become blood-addled into beasts. More blood means a bigger beast.

The church splits off from byrgenwyrth as does the cult of mensis. Church hunters kill beasts and become beasts themselves while the choir makes the celestial emmissary with the help of Ebrietas, a great one from the cosmos.

The cult of mensis performs its ritual in order to build a dreamscape where Oeden's babby is still alive so they can learn from it, as a side effect the ritual would make everyone blood addled if not for Rom, a scholar that Kos turned into a great one who holds back the blood moon.

You enter Yarnham looking for paleblood, blood of the moon presence, to cure a disease. When you are injected with old blood the moon presence captures you and uses you to collect blood echoes for it.
>>
>>320595271
Eh, close enough.
>>
>>320594582
Getting your nipples sucked as a woman feels like a man getting deepthraoted.

It's only natural that a lot of woman volunteer for that because it makes them get off.

Source: I'm a girl
>>
>>320595960
shitting dicknipples
>>
>>320595960
show tits
>>
>>320595960
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>320595271
>while the choir makes the celestial emmissary with the help of Ebrietas

they made the emissary to contact ebrietas
>>
>>320595271
I think that Byrgenwerth found an access to chalice dungeons after what they did with Kos.
Orphan not only cursed them, but launched entire hamlet into the nightmare realm, forcing scholars to find another means of entering it again. This resulted in some major fuck up which sent entire building into the abyss between dimensions, turning all scholars into pure quicksilver.

They only were able to find the access to Hamlet again when Healing Church was founded and only for Maria to learn everything that happened, cast her weapon into the wheel and become a host of the nightmare to never let anyone do any harm to Orphan again.
>>
But why did the ayy lmao want us to kill a babby?
>>
File: 1424357954383.png (136 KB, 216x375) Image search: [Google]
1424357954383.png
136 KB, 216x375
>>320595960
>Getting your nipples sucked as a woman feels like a man getting deepthraoted.

how can you know how it feels like a man getting deepthroated if you're supposedly a girl?
>>
>>320595960
I'm going to need more information.
>>
>>320595001
Wow. Always though that was just lag
>>
>>320596353
No, they had to have access to the Isz dungeon first and the phantasms inside it before they could even begin with their experiments to create Celestial Emissaries.

The Emissaries were created to contact the cosmos, which was "closest" to the physical world in Isz.
>>
>>320596358
The chalice dungeons were their first point of contact with the blood and the Great Ones.

Kos washed up after all that, hence why the experiments they conducted on the villagers included looking for "eyes on the inside"; by that point, they were already aware that "insight" literally lined the insides of their heads with eyes.
>>
You killed Mergo's nurse though. Mergo was already "dead", but now without Mergo, the baby couldn't really exist for that much longer.
>>
>>320596645
some girls have penises
>>
>>320597179
This meme needs to die
>>
Miyazaki is a hack and his ambigious barebone's stories make no goddamn sense just like silent hill and metal gear.
And a lot of other japanese shit. What's their deal?
>>
File: 1443622946801.png (330 KB, 590x470) Image search: [Google]
1443622946801.png
330 KB, 590x470
in Bloodborne, you're actually inside your mom's womb, dreaming

Mergo is the last thing you need to cut off to force labor

if you refuse to be killed by Gherman, you're loss.jpg
>>
File: Nurse.webm (2 MB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
Nurse.webm
2 MB, 950x534
>>
>>320597494
Why can you not actually see her or Mergo?
>>
>>320597807
Even 99 insight is not enough to see them

Supposedly because Mergo is Oedon's child, who is formless, but cannot be confirmed. In that vein, it would made sense that Mergo's Wet Nurse is, in a sense, formless
>>
>>320597326

"When Hidetaka Miyazaki was a child, he was a keen reader, though not a talented one. Often he’d reach passages of text he couldn’t understand, and so would allow his imagination to fill in the blanks, using the accompanying illustrations. In this way, he felt he was co-writing the fiction alongside its original author. The thrill of this process never left him – and it is very much there in his arcane and fascinating video games, the latest of which, Bloodborne, has just been released to wild acclaim."

he wants us to make shit up to fill in the blanks like his retarded younger self
>>
>Think i have figured out Bloodbornes story
>Get reminded of 1000 other aspects of the lore like Pthumeran people, Vilebloods and so on

Fugg
>>
>>320596358
I don't think that's the case, they came to Fishing Hamlet and started looking for eyes lining the inhabitants brains. Something they only cared about AFTER finding Eldrich knowledge.

I think it went like this:
> Byrgonworth is a regular type Uni, for learnin and research and shit
> Acheloogist Hinterland Jones finds ruins of an ancient civilisation under Yharnam.
> Excavations and stuff, find evidence of and materials of Great Ones
> Revalation that Human knowledge is tiny and insignificant. Byergonworth makes its mission to understand these newfound complexities of the universe.
> Willem declares the solution is eyes in the brain (maybe they found dead great ones? It is called "Tomb of the Gods"), and that only plebs would use the blood.
> Laurence is a pleb,
> Gherman also starts his hearty crew of Hoonters, but that and timing of Laurence's descision to Black Jack and Hooker are bit sketchy.
> News spreads of carcass of a Great One washed up in Fishing Hamlet.
> People from Byergonworth come and fuck Fishing Hamlets shit up.
> Orphan curses the fiends, thier children to, and thier children's children and I forgot the last few words.
> Nature of curse is up for debate
> Gets sucked into Nightmare, along with some other stuff (that may have come later, who knows?)
> Byergonworth falls into irrelevance while Church gets everyone addicted to intravenous red Coolaid. Church is mostly Coolaid drinkers themselves but high managment knows what's up.
> Mensis are batshit insane, and call their village "Unseen" despite being a 2 minute walk from the center of Carhederal Ward and perfectly visible.
> Hunters Dream gets made, Gherman becomes Moon Presence's suragote baby (maybe unconsensually, maybe a fetish, better ask Vaati)
> Mensis contact Mergo and bad shit happens, you kill(?) Mergo and stop said bad shit.
> Depending on ending something similar is doomed to happen again either without you, with you in Ghermans place or with you pulling the strings.
>>
>>320598064
>Gherman
>>
File: hastur_by_douzen-d5i2s4g.jpg (112 KB, 807x990) Image search: [Google]
hastur_by_douzen-d5i2s4g.jpg
112 KB, 807x990
>>320598064
>implying Great One Hunter won't look like Hastur when he matures as a great one
>implying he won't start protecting humanity and wrecking anyone trying to fuck with humans by using hunter weapons make from pure cosmic energy
>>
>>320598064
>Gehrman also starts his hearty crew of Hunters

Why though? There were no beasts until way after Laurence founded the Healing Church, but people from that institution are also called Hunters

What was the definition of the word "Hunter" in Bloodborne before shit went down exactly? Like, what did they do?
>>
>>320598362
they were normal people, like the towns folk you see in the Yharnam streets, I heard Gehrman was apparently a grounds keeper for byrgonworth but I don't know if that's just a load of shit.
>>
>>320598362
They lived on top of giant underground catacombs filled with beasts and monsters. Very first hunters probably went against those that escaped to the surface like a beast-possessed soul, way before Church fucked everyone up with a blood.
>>
>>320598362
Yeah, this is something that bothered me about the DLC it seems to imply that there was Hunters studying under Gherman before Beasts started showing up all over the shop.

I guess they needed armed people to go into the Chalice Dungeons, but all the lore about Gherman suggests he was a crafter turned fighter, and unlike his eventual successors killed beasts out of mercy for the people they once were.

It really doesn't add up, and makes it a lot more messy from a lore standpoint.
>>
>>320598257
Did I spell it wrong?

I can't remember.
>>
File: hasuta_kun_by_klaxa-d50hxkl.png (271 KB, 709x1128) Image search: [Google]
hasuta_kun_by_klaxa-d50hxkl.png
271 KB, 709x1128
>draw a girl
>call it a cosmic elder horror

Thanks Japan.
>>
>>320598646
what the fuck are you talking about, if you're talking about Maria you're dead wrong.
>>
>>320596358
Byrgenworth was first formed based on the knowledge garnered from the Pthumerian labyrinth.
>>
>>320598759
He's talking about some garbage anime show that depicted lovecraftian horrors as kawaii girls most likely.
>>
File: Mind_Flayer.png (808 KB, 700x1000) Image search: [Google]
Mind_Flayer.png
808 KB, 700x1000
love craft shit in demon's souls
and the old one is basically great one
>>
File: true ending.jpg (123 KB, 1480x384) Image search: [Google]
true ending.jpg
123 KB, 1480x384
>>320598351
>>
>>320598810
what the fuck
>>
>>320598803
No,
> It was an old place of learning. One day a group of young Byergonworth scholars discovered a holy medium in the tomb of the gods.

It was a university (the kind focused on academic research rather than teaching), who ended up discovering stuff that changed the perception of the world.
>>
File: 4056700_194.jpg (6 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
4056700_194.jpg
6 KB, 180x180
>>320598879
>Great One Hunter reads a book about medieval knights fighting against demons
>takes an afternoon nap
>nap creates an entire world, a separate dimension with thousands of years of history
>>
File: 1417862686196.png (103 KB, 246x232) Image search: [Google]
1417862686196.png
103 KB, 246x232
>>320598824
> ding ding
>>
>>320598810
You're garbage. Tell me you wouldn't sacrifice your sanity for this.
>>
File: 1447588160335.gif (410 KB, 221x196) Image search: [Google]
1447588160335.gif
410 KB, 221x196
>>320598824

>the TWO bellniggers on your way to the Old Monk with the unskippable cutscene
>>
I'm currently playing through this game and honestly I have no idea what the story is. I woke up in a clinic and I've been killing people ever since. I'm stuck in a zone called nightmare frontier - npc hunters, invading hunters, rock-throwing giants out the ass, poison, fucking enemies singing lalala and killing me in one hit and a level progression route satan himself drew up.
>>
File: 1337532862928.png (26 KB, 510x556) Image search: [Google]
1337532862928.png
26 KB, 510x556
>>320598824
I wonder how DaS babies will react if Great Ones will show up in finale of DS3.
>>
Mergo was the one enabling all that, the entire nightmare is a dream based on mergo's half-living state of being and all that, the whole game is pretty inception in the way that there's different layers of reality, but I'm not really sure if there's a proper direction in where we're going or if it's all separated from each other

I'm still asking myself what happened to oedon tho

and I still have no idea what moon presence gained from killing him, but it clearly wasnt a good guy
>>
>>320599123
It's just a girl with a long hair thing. Whats lovecraftian horror about her.
>>
>>320599167
>nowhere to roll
>have to iframe his instakill stun
>>
>>320599251
Oedon is a formless Great One. It exists as blood, as all blood. The Vilebloods recognise it as a sort of god, and the Pthumerians may have also. Oedon is the Great One that impregnates Arianna, and may have impregnated Yharnam in the past.
>>
>>320599228
That area's optional.

If you are struggling just Come back later.
>>
>>320599238
I think a lot of people would be ok with that. You're looking for an excuse to shit on the rest of the fanbase, but it isn't working.
>>
>>320599251
>what moon presence gained from killing him
Moon Presence probably wanted to have a total control over a human realm to use human females for breeding so he used puppets to kill any other great ones in the vicinity.

What he didn't knew is that someone of his puppets may be able to collect enough great one cords to ascend to the Great One status right in his own goddamn domain.
>>
>>320589534
Gehrman didn't want us to kill Mergo, The Moon Presence did. The Moon Presence was basically at war with all the other Great One and used Gehrman to host the hunter's dream so he could use the hunters to fight his war for him.

That's basically the entire plot of the game condensed down to it's most simple element.

You, a hunter, or tricked into an evil fuck into killing all his enemies and your mentor is imprisoned and trying to protect you. That's why Gehrman wants to kill you at the end, because he doesn't want you to be imprisoned like he was and because once you die in the dream, you'd just wake up in the real world.
>>
>>320599493
Gehrman beckoned the MP to begin with.
And 'host' is actually a translation error.
'Master', or 'Lord' is closer.
>>
>>320590912
mergo died in childbirth, but they created another reality where mergo is still alive

as for the crib being empty, that's an interesting theory

>>320599357
so Oedon is all blood? that'd be interesting

>>320599450
well I wouldnt, It wouldnt make sense, since both are technically different worlds
>>
Mergo was probably already dead, the Wet Nurse was keeping it in a half-alive state. The Great Ones always lose their children and try to find a substitute, right? So Mergos was Odeon's real child who died, though they were getting closer and closer to keeping Great One's children alive. The surrogate was the baby inside Arianna.
>>
>>320599465
Moon Presence is like a guardian deity for hunters. The Moon Presence has some motivation to breed and protect hunters, so killing Mergo was important because if all men became beasts then hunters would cease to be.
Also, I think Gehrman's will either overlaps with that of Moon Presence, or can sort of will Moon Presence's actions. Moon Presence only appeared to you in person once you'd freed Gehrman from the dream, it needs Gehrman and so came to you in the hopes of making you his replacement.
>>
>>320599590
Oedon is just said to inhabit blood, doesn't specify what exactly that means.
"Human or no, the oozing blood is a medium of the highest grade, and the essence of the formless Great One, Oedon." Doesn't really make it clear if it's all blood or just the blood descended from the Old Blood.
>>
File: Nyarlathotep[1].jpg (31 KB, 320x400) Image search: [Google]
Nyarlathotep[1].jpg
31 KB, 320x400
>>320599273
It's a tentacle.
>>
>>320599578
fucking translators I swear to god

I bet some smug fucker is translating it wrong on purpose
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 454x453) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 454x453
So let me get this straight. Aliens contact humans through their dreams and all they want to do is inpregnate a female to give offspring because their species has trouble breeding? And the only way to wake up from the dream is to be slain (?)

Why then did human males fall prey to this dream when all they needed were females? Unless the aliens can't differentiate the sex between humans?

And if I'm right this alien contact had been happening for hundreds of years because there are 'old' hunters and established religions in the dream.

But why is it that Gerhman seems to be the only one aware that this is all a dream? That dialogue where he begs his friends to wake him up implies he knows this is all artificial. The only reason he tells you to end the nightmare is to get moon presence to show and replace Gerhman with you instead so he can finally wake up right? So once again the main character is merely a pawn?

Am I completely wrong? Fuck this game sometimes man
>>
>>320595960
>Source: I'm mentally ill

ftfy senpai
>>
>>320599590
>well I wouldnt
Fair enough.
What I mean is that there are already tonnes of theories out there (not all of them good) that talk about all the Souls games sharing the same world, so I figure that there is a sizable amount of people in the fanbase that would like to see it confirmed.

Honestly, I'd be apprehensive about it as well. They each have their own world, and trying to make them fit together would go against the lore of each game, and would just end up feeling hamfisted.
>>
Gehrman is just having you REMOVE OLD ONE, because a combination of the healing church/Byrgenwerth's meddling and the great ones wanting to fugg humans for some reason and make babies was causing the nightmare.

Rom was stopping the mensis ritual from completion, but once you kill her it finishes, that's why the moon turns red. That's what it takes to open the way to Mergo, one of the old one/human babbies, which was the one causing the nightmare.

Once Mergo is slain, you've destroyed the cause of the nightmare and can leave - unless you refuse and kill gehrman. In which case you meet the moon presence, a Great One Gehrman reached out to for help with defeating the cause of the nightmare. The moon presence created the hunter's dream as a way of accessing the nightmare world and fighting it; Gehrman was used essentially as its emissary, and you replace him when you kill him - unless you ate the umbilical cords and started transforming into a great one yourself, in which case it rejects you and you have to fight it, kill it, and complete your metamorphosis.
>>
>>320599602
>Moon Presence is like a guardian deity for hunters
More like a puppet master. It's not protecting, it's forcing you into his own service. He doesn't give a shit about hunters outside of his little realm, just makes sure the chosen one will stay alive for as long as it's needed.

Even though Great Ones are said to be sympathetic, MP is certainly one of the most vile of them all, second only probably to the mensis brain, but that thing probably just didin't understand it was hurting people prior to you sending it down into the abyss. He is intelligent and uses his intellect to get rid of any other great ones that can interfere with his plans.
>>
>>320599717
Humans contact the Great Ones, they answer the people calls.
'Dreams', as in Lovecraftian works, are real dimensions.
Gehrman knows he's in the Hunters Dream, he used a 3rd to call the MP.
>>
>>320599578
Laurence was the one that beckoned the Moon Presence. Then I guess Gehrman made a deal with it to become a guardian to the hunters. Although Gehrman is trapped, so maybe he was sacrificing himself for some reason. Perhaps if the Moon Presence had stayed in the waking world much longer then the effect of the beast plague would have gotten even worse than the Old Yharnam scourge. So Gehrman swooped in, make a quick deal and was whisked away, trapped with the Presence in the Hunter's Dream.
>>
File: 1449230186165.png (1 MB, 820x950) Image search: [Google]
1449230186165.png
1 MB, 820x950
>>320599717
some hunters mumble some stuff like 'tell the doll hello' when they kill you, which means they were previously stuck in the Hunter's Dream in the past

or something

wait, but weren't they killing you because you were supposedly going beast in the first place?

why are those assholes killing you then if they know you're stuck in the dream and you're sane?
>>
File: 1446510812491.png (157 KB, 500x504) Image search: [Google]
1446510812491.png
157 KB, 500x504
>>320598824
>the old one is basically great one

Will you retards at least put in the effort of fucking googling basic lovecraft shit?

An Old One is a very distinct being from a Great One you fucking plebeian.

Fuck you.
>>
>>320599815
Moon Presence makes decided effort to protect the hunters, though. Ludwig could actually see it's machinations with his eyes, seeing the moonlight guiding him.
The Messengers are agents of the Moon Presence, and they do nothing but good.
>>
>>320599847
>Laurence was the one that beckoned the Moon Presence.
Does he?
I haven't read anything to imply that.
>>
File: 1428667690636.jpg (415 KB, 1024x888) Image search: [Google]
1428667690636.jpg
415 KB, 1024x888
>>320599850
>some hunters mumble some stuff like 'tell the doll hello' when they kill you
I have never seen this.

>>320599871
Oh hey, it's you, the guy who likes to apply specific definitions from one universe to another.
>>
So who's skull was it in the Cathedral Ward behind Amelia? Is it Lawrence's? Why is it a beast's skull?
>>
>>320600017

Play the DLC
>>
>>320600017
He's a beast.
>>
>>320599717
No, it all started with the old blood in the labyrinth and byrgenwerth, Willem was using eyes(knowledge) to try to ascend a human to a great one status because he saw how dangerous the blood could be

while the church was using the old blood to try to ascend, and doing experiments with it, which led to the creation of the emissaries(big headed aliens), people who could, in theory, speak to the great ones, or at least contact them

a true alien would be ebrietas

I think that's it
>>
>>320599942
"The nameless moon presence beckoned by Laurence and his associates. Paleblood."
"The Third Umbilical Cord precipitated the encounter with the pale moon, which beckoned the hunters and conceived the hunter's dream."

Laurence used an ubilical cord to contact the Moon Presence, for some reason. The Hunter's Dream may have been the intended outcome, or it may have been a side effect of this event.
>>
>>320600102
Oh right.
Completely forgot about that.
>>
>>320600063
Where did beasts come from then? And what is the waking world then? The ending where you finally wake up. What is that?
>>
>>320600063
It's not clear if "the cosmos" is literally space. The Fishing Hamlet has some visual symbolism suggesting the sky and the sea are connected, or similar. There's also the multiple references to the ocean and the deep by the reasearch patients, and the Lake runes that mentions that great bodies of water are significant to the Great Ones.
>>
>>320600183
The sky and the cosmos are one bruh.
>>
>>320600102
Laurence probably understood how much he fucked up and that humans don't stand a chance against the beast scourge on their own, so he decided to go with a lesser evil and summon another powerful Great One and form a pact with him to give humanity at least some chance of survival, even if that Great One will use them as puppets as well.
>>
So was Moon Presence connected to the Red Moon?
The Red Moon was what caused the beast scourge to accelerate in Old Yharnam, but was that caused by the beckoning of the Moon Presence, or was it the more recent event of the Mensis Ritual?
>>
Post your favorite fight from the game
>>
>>320594582
Soooooooooo

What does Mergo's Wet Nurse's milk taste like?
>>
>>320600256
"Master Willem was right. Evolution without courage will be the ruin of our race."
Could this note have been from Laurence? He realised that his methods weren't a good idea, but it was too late?
Strangely, Laurence became a beast, rather than a kin. I'd have thought he'd have been keeping all the best blood to himself, trying to ascend to kinhood.
>>
>>320600351
like blood vials
>>
>>320599717
>That dialogue where he begs his friends to wake him up implies he knows this is all artificial

I think he's trapped in the Orphan's curse because once you kill Orphan the doll says he now sleeps peacefully like never before.

>>320599982
>Oh hey, it's you, the guy who likes to apply specific definitions from one universe to another.

You mean the specific definitions that this entire game draws from, you gigantic fucking retard?
>>
>>320600351
Like violent, bloody murder, the screaming of the blood splattered masses, the scrape of steel, the burn of gunpowder, the acrid stench that lingers in the streets, the darkness, the emptyness, the fear, thehelplessness, the sour milk and the pennies.
>>
>>320600275
The red moon is caused by the mensis ritual, which is what the moon presence is having you stop in the first place, so I doubt it. That being said, it could be MP's way of saying "shit's fucked familia, get to hurrying"
>>
>>320600425
Yharnam =/= Arkham
Fishing Hamlet =/= Innsmouth
Miyazaki =/= Lovecraft
Inspired by =/= Set within

Bloodborne has its own set of definitions and rules separate from Lovecraft's mythos. Don't apply Lovecraft laws to Bloodborne because they're not the same setting.
>>
>>320599769
wasnt MP using gehrman? I really dont think they were helping each other out, MP probably has it's own agenda

>>320600167
the ending where you wake up is most likely the real world

>>320600183
yeah, I got that too, Kos was a great one from the sea right? the DLC has some deep sea symbolism, which compares it to the cosmos I think

>>320600150
Orphan caused the scourge

>>320600275
I think MP is the red moon, it cant manifest itself in physical form where mergo is, only in the hunter's dream, which is why it needs hunters
>>
>>320600468
But the red moon appears in the Dream when the Moon Presence descends. I wonder what this implies.
>>
>>320600183
The fishing hamlet is literally and ocean in the sky. There's just a plane of spacefuckmatter that blocks you from seeing it from below.

That's why the snail lady falls from the
sky and you can see a city underwater in the fishing hamlet which many have speculated to be the nightmare yharnam

I don't have a pic of it now but I saw it the other day on reddit
>>
>>320597494
but how exactly does that sword ghost nurse a babby?
>>
>>320600512
>Orphan caused the scourge
That's not true at all.
The scourge happened multiple times in history, way before Orphan cursed the fiends, their children too.
>>
>>320600512
>Orphan caused the scourge
Is that what we're thinking? Is the curse literally the beast plague?
How do the vermin relate?
>>
>>320600351
Like salty bags of coins.
>>
>>320600509
>Bloodborne has its own set of definitions and rules separate from Lovecraft's mythos. Don't apply Lovecraft laws to Bloodborne because they're not the same setting.

My ass it does. You don't know anything about Lovecraft, you have no authority over this issue, stop commenting on things you have no knowledge of whatsoever.

Just as a little food for thought for your uneducated brain, the Old One in Demon's Souls is explicitly reffered as evil because, surprise surprise, that's what an Old One is in Lovecraftian Mythos. And then we have the Great Ones, which are simpathetic in nature because, again, surprise surprise, that's how they are in the Lovecraft as well.

You know, when you draw from a work to such a large scale like this and use even the exact same denominations and meanings from there, it usually means you are actually not just picking up a name for the sake it, retard.
>>
>>320600561
Yeah, I've seen the rooftops and towers beneath the ocean. Though I don't know how clear it is whether that's just a visual symbol of it the Hamlet is literally above either Yharnam of the Hunter's Nightmare. I mean, you do get there from the clocktower above the nightmare, but you do go through a magic warphole.
>>
>>320600591
that makes more sense

so, what caused it in the main game? or is there no explanation?

>>320600612
some would say vermin dont really exist based on their description and the fact valtr seems very eager to just kill anything, but wants it to be justified
>>
>>320600591
I think the calamity that caused the downfall of Pthumeru may have been something slightly different to the beast scourge.
If the scourge as it is now existed in the chalice dungeons then it would have spread as soon as they brought back the Old Blood.

>>320600661
The Old One in Demon's Souls is a demon. It's not even an eldritch god, it's a demon, just a very big bad monster from the other world.
Stop posting.
>>
File: 34543534645.jpg (23 KB, 382x361) Image search: [Google]
34543534645.jpg
23 KB, 382x361
I hate it how some items descriptions are unreasonably obscure or simply don't make sense at all.

>Brain Fluid: We fail to realize our own latent potential, until the moment it is lost, and we sense its absence. Ironically, this is the very nature of insight, like the moment one licks one's own blood, only to be startled by its sweetness."

>Umbilical Chord:
"Every Great One loses its child, and then yearns for a surrogate, and Oedon, the formless Great One, is no different. To think, it was corrupted blood that began this eldritch liaison.

This makes no sense at all.
>>
>>320600745
Don't forget Loran.
All those beasts in the dungeons mang.
>>
Why do you need to consume a whole umbilical cord to get the double secret ending?
>>
>>320600775
But that does make sense.
Arianna is a descendant of Cainhurst, yes?
Cainhurst are descendants of Pthumeru, yes?
Pthumeru worshipped Oedon, and Yharnam was impregnated with his child.

Oedon has been following the bloodline all along, looking for an ideal surrogate to bear a new child.
"That's the great thing about vilebloods, I keep gettin' older, they stay the same age" - Formless Oedon
>>
>>320600775
Every 4 3rd of umbilical chord has a different description.
>>
>>320600512
It's probably a two way stream, MP helps the hunters kill the old ones that are fucking with Yharnam and in return the MP has rival great ones eliminated. MP doesn't really seem malicious; it seems about like Ebrietas, trying (at least) to be helpful.

>>320600552
Maybe the red moon is it's way of sending off warning. "You killed Rom and now they've completed the mensis ritual because nothing is standing in their way, better kill that babby quick son", just like "you killed my hunter and ate old one fragments, I better take care of you before you make the full transition and we repeat this whole cycle"
>>
>>320598023
Yea, god forbid the concept "open to intepretation" and to hell with the fiction doesn´t work as a math equation
>>
>>320600871
Three Third Cords.
You need to consume enough insight to ascend to the level of a Great One. Gameplay wise, the cords only give 3 insight each, I think. But in plot terms the cords are huge stores of eldritch power and knowledge.
Byrgenworth presumably used a cord to ascend Rom to a Great One, possibly using some of their knowledge garnered from the study of Kos to do so.
Iosefka's Imposter actually managed to use a cord all on her own to gain the necessary insight to become a Great One, or at least a kin. You kill her and gain her cord.
Then you yourself use all four of the cords, plus the eldritch blood of the Moon Presence to be reborn as an infant Great One.
>>
>>320600668
it's kind of equating the ocean to cosmos/the sky I believe, like another anon said

>>320600745
it was related to mergo and the queen dying, that's for sure

>>320600775
brain fluid is talking about how we fail to see our true potential, even though it's not visible to us, maybe that's why great ones want to fuck humans

as for the umbilical chord, it's talking about the queen, mergo and oedon, and how the conception of mergo was the start of the communication between worlds, but i'm not sure what "corrupted blood" means

maybe it's talking about mergo or oedon?
>>
>>320601032
3 x 1/3 = 3/3 = 1/1 = 1 whole umbilical cord
>>
Moon Presence's design appears to be inspired by Nyarlathotep. If you know anything about Nyarlathotep you also know that it's one of the few eldritch gods that are intelligent and actively malicious, manipulating humans to suit its needs.

Assuming that it was the Moon Presence and its messengers that provided guidance to Ludwig, then it was under the MP's instructions that Ludwig formed the Healing Church hunters and gathered Yharnamites as recruits to replace the old hunters that were whisked away to Kos' Nightmare. This introduced a bunch of new hunters for the MP to use -- as well as victims to be hunted eventually, as the Hunt has a negative effect on their sanity and eventually they turn into beasts.

Assuming that beasts stem from the influence of the Moon Presence, their endless hunger for blood may have been inherited from the MP. In which case its motivation becomes clear: the beasts and the hunters exist to feed the Moon Presence with blood echoes, and its machinations were intended to create a continually reusable blood echo farm.
>>
>>320601126
>there are 4 one third umbilical cords
>adds up to a whole umbilical cord + one third of another
wot
>>
>>320600775
>this makes no sense at all yet
yet it fucking does you dumb mother fucker.
Can you even comprehend literature?
>>
>>320601241
are you stupid?
>>
>>320601075
The corrupted blood refers to the blood of Cainhurst, corrupted by the forbidden blood brought to the castle by a Byrgenworth traitor.
Also may be referring to the Old Blood imbibed by Yharnam herself.

>>320601126
It's not one umbilical cord, it's multiple cords that you get from multiple Great Ones.
One comes from Arianna's child
One comes from Mergo's reincarnation
One perhaps comes from the original Mergo, kept by the Healing Church over the years
And the other is perhaps from the Orphan of Kos, taken by Byrgenworth and studied

There also may have been a fifth that was used to give Rom insight.

They're only called "One Third of Umbilical Cord" in America, I believe. In Japan and Europe it's called the "Third Umbilical Cord".
>>
>>320598064
I think it's likely Gherman made contact with MP at the Orphan incident. The fact that it's his nightmare as well would tie orphan's curse with the moon since they're all part of Gherman.
>>
>>320601209
The Church was founded through the knowledge in Laurence's skull.
And I think those little things of light Ludwig saw were Phantasms.
>>
>>320600183
>It's not clear if "the cosmos" is literally space

It's not, the game asserts an allegory that implies cosmos = ocean, as seen by the hunter's nightmare structure, although it can ALSO mean space, since there's no clear indication of the contrary. You look above and you see the sky, the cosmos, then you reach fishing hamlet and you look below and see the ocean and yharnam below. "The sky and the cosmos are one". Just like Kos came from the sea and Ebrietas was found underground. There is no direct implication of something coming from outer space, although the possibility is not ruled

HP Lovecraft grew in a fishing village and he was always marvelled by the intricacies of the sea and always found it a terrible thing, which is only a given after all life in the ocean looks like some really weird alien shit and we barely know anything about it now, let alone a hundred years ago.

>>320600745
No it's not you fucking idiot. He creates demons, he is not a demon himself.

Saint Urbain:
From where does that howl come?!
That is no Demon. It sounds more like a poor hungry child.
Do you have any idea what it might be?
Something about it sets me at great unease.
May God watch over us. Bless us, and all of Boletaria.
Umbasa

He is NEVER stated to be a demon and speaking of their religion because they barely know what it is, which is why they also worshipped him as a god because that's what these outrageously powerful beings are to mere humans, without knowing he was also the source of evil.

Just kill yourself. I fucking hate people like you who know absolutely NOTHING they are talking about yet they just can't stop running their loud ass shitty mouths on everything. Shut your whore's mouth and go read about what you're talking about, idiot.
>>
>>320601241
Gonna go on a limb here and say that there's more than one eldritch baby out there, you're collecting their cords in amounts of a third each.
>>
>>320601032
I think rom did in fact ascend, but he was "reborn"
maybe he is actually an infant great one
>>
>>320599871
Except this game is not part of Lovecrofts works (which were never intended to be in any sort of "expanded universe anyway), it merely takes influence from them. When people call Bloodborne "Lovecroftian" what they mean is it's very similar to his work, it doesn't mean it has all the same termanology or rules.

The game makes no distinction between "Old" and "Great" when talking about the aciecent, powerful cosmic beings that are present in the games lore.
>>
>>320601423
She.
>>
>>320601432
I'm not even gonna bother reply to someone who can't even spell the author's name right. Shows how much you know about it.
>>
>>320601336
Gehrman's contact with the Moon Presence happened at the Hunter's Workshop. It's why the cord is there.

>>320601383
Oh, shit, sorry! I forgot that Lovecraft co-wrote Bloodborne and that Bloodborne is an official part of the Lovecraft mythos.
I've seen you before, matey. You trawl Bloodborne threads to shitpost about your weird Lovecraft canon fan theory. Please stop, you're making a fool of yourself.
>>
>>320601398
Who goes around cutting their umbilical cords into thirds and discarding the other two thirds?
>>
>>320601451
yes, she, I forget it's a girl
>>
>>320601241
The last piece you find was artifically created by man wasn't it
>>
>>320601532
DEEPEST LORE
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 300x168
The objective of the hunter is to stop the scourge of beasts. Once a chosen hunter that is transported to the hunter's dream has fulfilled the requirement for that full moon hunt, Gerhman gives them the option to wake up.

However, since this is Bloodborne, there are no happy endings. The Great Ones cursed the hunters and all the hunters that will come. The hunters will become beasts and will be hunted by other hunters.

The only way out of the cycle of curse is to literally follow the instructions at Iosefka's clinic, which is to seek Paleblood, "To Transcend the Hunt", which means get out of the cycle of curse, by looking for the Moon Prescence.
>>
>>320600017
> Dude don't use the Old Blood, it's bad for you.
> Fuck you I do what I want
> Skull of a deformed beast in the Church he founded's Grand Cathederal

I didn't even realise there was people who didn't think it was Laurence. I Immidetly assumed that as soon as I saw the cutscene.
>>
>>320601507
The same people who doesn´t want to waste all the potential in an alien organ on a single try
>>
>>320601495
>Oh, shit, sorry! I forgot that Lovecraft co-wrote Bloodborne and that Bloodborne is an official part of the Lovecraft mythos. I've seen you before, matey. You trawl Bloodborne threads to shitpost about your weird Lovecraft canon fan theory. Please stop, you're making a fool of yourself.

Yeah, I've seen you too crying and bitching because I actually know what I'm talking about because unlike you, I have actually thoroughly read Lovecraft and not just heard about it somewhere on the internet.

But you can keep on bitching and crying and throwing your little baby's tantrum. So far that's all you have managed because you can't refute a single thing I've said. Not surprising though, someone who doesn't know shit from squat like you can only do so much.

Stay mad, pleb.
>>
>>320601507
Maybe you've got very unsteady hands
Maybe all the good bits of the cord are at the baby end
Maybe it's a mechanical concession to give you the impression you're supposed to collect at least three
>>
>>320601383
The Souls series makes references to Lovecraft all the time, but they don't go by the definitions set by Lovecraft's mythos, and they don't follow the canon of Lovecraft.
The Old One is referred to as an old one, but is a demon.
Manus is referred to as an old one, but is a human who's soul lost its balance and consumed him.
The Great Ones aren't bound by the laws of the specific class of beings from Lovecraft's works.

It's like DnD. Based on Tolkien, but set in its own world and playing by its own rules.
>>
>>320601532
yeah, but I dont know where is it, since they all have the same name
>>
>>320600351
Ioesfka's Blood Vial

That chest outside is actually a fridge for keeping excess Breast Milk in bottles.
>>
>>320601742
Old Workshop cord mentions the Moon Presence.
Arianna's cord mentions Oedon.
Iosefka's cord mentions Master Willem.
Mergo's cord mentions Mensis.
>>
>>320597494
>Literally a copy paste of gaping dragon with more edgyness

Wow such meem.
>>
>>320601746
So Iosefka´s imposter is the actual Iosefka who got into Nightmare of Mensis, ascended to a Great One and appointed herself the wet nurse of Mergo?
>>
>Mfw trying to understand BB lore even though I've played the game

I have no fucking idea what happened in the whole game
>>
>>320599982
>The Old One is literally God in Demon's Souls, and seemingly insurmountable by any odds. The Old One will guaranteedly eventually destroy the world.
>You can fuck up the Great Ones in Bloodborne.
OK. He's a Great One.
>>
>>320601832
I think the Iosefka Vial in the nightmare is just there to give you a healing item. I don't think it actually has lore significance. They probably should have renamed that one to Mensis Blood Vial or something.
>>
>>320601909
I've played through it three times and I think I've learned about as much ITT as a did that whole time
>>
File: milkweed.jpg (65 KB, 398x400) Image search: [Google]
milkweed.jpg
65 KB, 398x400
>>320601621
>The Old One is referred to as an old one, but is a demon.

False. They also rever him as a god. The game never states "he is a demon". Nobody knows what he truly is or where did he come from, just that he's soul hungry and if anything, Saint Urbain's dialogue implies the opposite, that he is not a demon but something else.

>Manus is referred to as an old one

No he is not, he's reffered as a "primeval man" and that's all. Also notice that it's capital letters Old One here we're talking about, which has a distinct meaning, from saying, for example, "oh, that thing is an old one".

>The Great Ones aren't bound by the laws of the specific class of beings from Lovecraft's works.

Such as?
>>
>>320600668
> You go through a wormhole

Do you?

It looks like you do, but what if you actually just walked through the clock face?

It's the highest building in Nightmare Yharnam, what if Fishing Hamlet is litterally sticking out the side of the clock but it's just invisible from below.

I think this is the intention, but it would be interesting to see if the geography lines up.

The patients are hearing the water because they are directly underneath it.
>>
>>320601494
not him but fuck off, you're not addressing anything he said because he's right. and you're a cunt.
>>
>>320601953
The Old One isn't God, it's a god. Not God, a god.
They worship it, but it's not the creator of the world and has no omnipotence. It's just a very powerful demon that people mistook at some point for a god.
>>
>>320595960
NEW YORK
E
W

Y
O
R
K
>>
>>320602002
It's probably more of an elevator.
Notice, on the clock there are the runes in the game.
When it takes you to the Hamlet, the hands stop on the Deep Sea Rune.
It's a Stargate.
>>
>>320602003

Either argue your point and use your evidences or shut up. The game fully utilizes many of his terminologies as well as presents places that are borderline ctrl+c ctrl+v from his works, such as Fishing Hamlet. You have absolutely nothing going for you but keep on bitching.
>>
>>320601980
"A scythe born from the soul of Nashandra.
The old one of the Abyss was reborn in death, split into miniscule fragments, and spread across the land. The pieces began to coalesce again, becoming human in shape"

Why are you even trying? Anyone can see that you're baiting. Nobody would actually believe that Bloodborne is set in Lovecraft's mythos.
>>
>>320602121
Was there a graveyard in Arkham called Hemwick Charnel Lane?
Was there a grand cathedral where they undertook blood healing?
Was there a school call Byrgenworth?

Fishing Hamlet is not Innsmouth, at all. It's literally not Innsmouth, they're literally completely different works of fiction that don't connect in any way at all.

What are you trying to do here?
>>
>>320600871
It's a THIRD CORD, and you eat 3 of them, I don't think it's 1/3 of a cord.

I saw a reddit post about the translations and it seems US version is misleading Jap and EU have it worded so it seems that each one is a complete cord, but they come in sets of at least 3 per birth (or something).
>>
>>320602112
That's a cool theory but the snail lady falls from the sky which would invalidate it
>>
>>320602143
All you did was prove my point. I thoroughly stated old =/= Old One.

Learn basic english.
>>
>>320602121
Time for this old anon to join the shitpost.

You have a lot of good points, but so does the other anon. You're being a cunt, Miyazaki has openly stated his preference for players trying fill in the blanks, and your interpretations - however well referenced to the source of this game's inspiration - are still just that.
>>
>>320602324
Not really.
All of the Nightmares are stacked on each other.
You can see all of the dreamlands from each other.
That's why I gave the elevator analogy.
>>
>>320602239
Not him but I think his strongest point is the whole Hamlet/Innsmouth thing. That's the point in the game where I thought, 'Wow they're really pushing this Shadow Over thing huh'.

But then again you two faggots are literally whining about ITS A GREAT ONE NO ITS AN OLD ONE like it fucking matters
>>
>>320602335
Manus is referred to as an old one. I posted proof. You're incorrect.
Manus is literally called an old one. Lac of capitalisation doesn't suddenly make the words vanish from existence.
>>
>>320602245
But you only need 3 to get the ending which would imply 1/3 umbilical cord is the correct translation.

I read the bloodborne wiki and it says that shittoo. This game is probably filled with bad translations
>>
>>320602396
I'm not arguing about that. Bloodborne uses its own set of rules, the names of the Great Ones don't correlate to the various definitions set by Lovecraft for his various old gods and beings.
Bloodborne isn't Lovecraft, it's Lovecraft themed.
>>
The entire game is an eldritch turf war, right? Oedon fucks human women left and right, getting them pregnant with great one babbies. Kosm tried to stop it by making Rom into some beast/kin hybrid to stave off oedon's rituals and by going the other way (getting pregnant by a human). Ebrietas is trying to lead the Choir in eldritch matters benevolently, while The Mensis cult people are trying to use Mergo, a newborn great one, to attain greater insight at any cost. And the moon presence created the dream so humans could access the nightmare reliably and fight the old ones.

So, since the moon presence's influence grows greater once Rom (who's said in some notes to be holding off oedon) is killed, it can be assumed that the moon presence is a manifestation of Oedon who's having you clear house for him; Since the moon presence, Mergo, and Kos (or its shadow) in the DLC are the only old ones both strong enough and malicious enough to create nightmares, by the true ending you've killed off any known great ones able to stop you and become the sole great one influencing humanity.

Either that, or the moon presence isn't oedon and is some outsider to the conflict who might not even be a great one, grooming hunters who might be strong enough to defeat Oedon or at least keep his spawn in check.
>>
>>320602417

Just like you could say any ancient being is "an old one" because that's a description that fits him, which I had already addressed. You can literally call your mother an "old one" if she's just that, old. You basically don't know the most entry level tier meaning of nouns and their classifications. Dear god go back to school.
>>
>>320602479
I agree but who cares, dude
Bloodborne is ambiguous and sparse enough for other anon to interpret it whichever dumb way he wants and it's difficult for him to be explicitly wrong
>>
>>320602239
>Was there a graveyard in Arkham called Hemwick Charnel Lane?

Well hunters obiviously failed to stop the beast scourge, so they called in fucking Batman to do it!
>>
>>320598351
>better not go to earth, that shitters using ludwigs cosmic meme
>>
>>320602519
>Just like you could say any ancient being is "an old one"
Yeah, you could. Lovecraft isn't a dictionary. I could call a goblin an orc, and no matter how hard Tolkien rolls in his grave it doesn't matter. In my canon goblins are called orcs, because my canon isn't Tolkien, it's merely based on him.

The Great Ones very well may have been referred to as Old Ones, or Deep Ones, or Old Deep Great Ones, or Old Gods, or Deep Gods, or Outer Gods.
They're fiction creatures in a video game that is canonically unrelated to Lovecraft's mythos. The name doesn't matter, this isn't literally Lovecraft so they can be called whatever they want.
>>
>>320602479
>Bloodborne isn't Lovecraft, it's Lovecraft themed.

He never said it's 100% Lovecraft but merely asserted that the things it draws from Lovecraft are very direct refferences, in which he is entirely right since there are many things that are almost direct reproductions. You people are basically making a big ruckus because you misunderstood a statement, jesus.
>>
What's the lore behind the undead church giant that's nonhostile and just praying under iosefka's clinic?

Who's grave is it praying to?

Also who is the undead giant with flaming fists guarding patches in the lecture hall?
>>
>>320602669
Peter Jackon, plz
>>
>>320602724
He also said its Dracula themed.
Bloodbornes story is a pastiche of spooky literature
>>
>>320602724
>He never said it's 100% Lovecraft
I've seen him in multiple threads and he has said this.
"Fishing Hamlet is literally Innsmouth", for example.
>>
would it kill From to make the lore in their games a bit less subtle? for fuck's sake
>>
>>320602782
>who
There is no who. The giants are just people mutated by the church, none of them have lore significance.
>>
>>320600661
>the Old One in Demon's Souls is explicitly reffered as evil because

Except old one is responsible for miracles too, which is what Astraea finds out, which is why she fucked up.
>>
>>320602985
DaS1 wasn't subtle, it was just spread out over the course of a game. Hell they even give you the whole backstory at the start of a game in a cinematic
>>
>>320602985

Yeah I'm genuinely tired of this theorycrafting mumbo jumbo. They should at least make the main thing very clear and easy to understand and then add some minor implications that may be interpreted this or that way.

Bloodborne's lore is rich as fuck but you basically understand almost fucking nothing even after reading a lot about it. Major plot points have basically no explanation or a billion different interpretations.

Yeah, it's an interesting way of telling a story but DaS did it much better because it at least presented the core, the barebones idea, in a very direct way. And then it left you wondering about some stuff such as who could possibly be Gwyn's son and stuff like that.

They went way overboard with Bloodborne and the appeal of all this vagueness is entirely lost to me. It's not innovative anymore.
>>
>>320602985
speculating is half the fun. anyway from this thread alone I think we've got most of the lore nailed down give or take a few things/reasonings. Vague is fun IMO.
>>
>>320602956
clearly when he said literally he meant figuratively,
>>
>>320603154
I love that about Bloodborne. It's back to the Demon's style mystery. Bloodborne lore threads are some of my favourite threads on /v/.
>>
>>320603118

If you've read further down the reply chain you'd see that I said the same thing to imply that they basically knew nothing about the old one. They don't fully understand anything about it other than that he creates demons to satiate his hunger for souls. The guy is directly implying he IS a demon when there is nothing in the game that fully states that and I even showed Saint Urbain's dialogue that indicates the contrary and also raised this point that some actually saw him as a god.
>>
>>320603159
the other Souls games are fine, but Bloodborne steps into the too subtle territory for me
>>
>it's a discussion about semantics
but of course it fucking is, dumb fucks
>>
>>320603283
You're on /v/.
What did you expect.
>>
File: 1336922903517.gif (2 MB, 173x200) Image search: [Google]
1336922903517.gif
2 MB, 173x200
>>320603167
I literally hate people who literally use literally for literally anything
>>
>>320603237

But Demon's Souls was the most straightforward game of the series. There's basically nothing to argue about it other than some extremely minor shit. The entirely plot is laid bare to you, whereas in Bloodborne you replay the game a billion times over and read about it, discuss it online and still come out understanding nothing.
>>
>>320602481
So the second ending is the house ending and the third ending is the yes man ending
>>
>>320603354
Demon's gives almost no backstory or explanation, though. Many of the areas have subtle hints about the origins of the bosses and characters, but there's almost nothing actually stated. Especiall about things like the Old One's origin, or what demons really are.
>>
>>320602782
> Unhostile

Oh, poor fella. I always killed him regardless. I think the Giants are Church employee's and the result of more targeted use of Blood transformations. I'd guess he's praying to same things Amelia was.

This is all pulled straight from my ass, but there's absolutely zero lore about any of the transformed humans that arnt hairy scary beasts.

> Giant in Lecture Hall

This actually makes NO sense as far as I can tell. The lecture hall belongs to Byergonworth, why would a church giant of all things be in there? My personal theory is the same as my reasoning for a second Rom in the chalice dungeons:

From is less autistic about its lore than the fans.
>>
>>320603502

What the fuck? Of course it does.

It states right off the get go what the king did for his lust of power, which brought in the fog and it's demons that swallowed boletaria and what was needed to do for you to reach the old one, and then you do and the maiden explains he's gotta be put to sleep because he's evil and etc and that's it. There's absolutely nothing vague about the mission and everything is as clear as day.

Meanwhile in bloodborne nothing makes sense at all and you don't even know why the fuck are you even killing all these things other than that "you're a hunter" or if what you're doing is even real in the first place.
>>
>>320603563
They could just have been a different race of creatures who lived beside humans. There are also tons of different beasts, and some may have come from mutating giants.
>>
>>320599982
>I have never seen this.

Eileen needs to kill you
>>
>>320603678
Tell me who the Maiden is, then.
What is the Old One?

Do you know what Flamelurker is? Do you know why Adjudicator is sitting int he Shrine of Storms?
The basic motivation of the story is laidout, but there's almost no lore at all. It's all very mysterious and subtle.
>>
>>320603769
She doesn't say anything about the Doll.
>>
>>320603816

But that's what I mean, you don't know these things but the main mission is laid out bare. I don't need to know who this or that demon are because I already know that they are just that: demons, and that they were created by the Old One to sate his lust for souls. How do you get more direct than this? It's literally in the opening cinematic.

And if you just take a wikipedia-tier entry to demon's souls you'd see that the Old Ones are beings that are constantly trying to invade our realm and that they are inherently evil, which is a perfect depiction of DeS' Old One.

Meanwhile in bloodborne you start thinking you're a hunter but your character actually had another reason to be there and didn't want to be seen, as stated by his clothes, and then you're suddenly in fucking nightmares and dealing with beings you know absolutely nothing about or what they even want. In DeS you don't know exactly what the Old One is but what he wants is laid out bare: he is evil, he wants to kill everything and absorb their power/souls and you gotta destroy him or become his champion to get powerful, just like Allant wanted.
>>
>>320589534
No the moon presence wanted it dead, the moon presence is something like a great one bounty hunter who hunts down and kills other great ones when their power is being used by others for personal gain, or some shit like that.

Laurence and his boys attracted him when they started fucking with the old one blood. Moon alien probably fucked the yharnam queens people too, after they started getting antsy and saw themselves as the great ones masters instead of their keepers.
>>
>>320603237
I always learn something new and it has me wondering about it all day.

And no waifu bullcrap.
>>
>>320603698
That's even more wild unsupported speculation than me.

It's easily established that humans can turn into damn near any size of beast and various forms, physically it's impossible but in-game a small woman turning into a giant Deer monster is perfectly acceptable, conservation of matter be damned.

It's the snakes, Fleas and other things that are never really explained, sane with the Giants and Abnormally tall Church guys.
>>
>>320604068
>you're a hunter but your character actually had another reason to be there and didn't want to be seen

wat
>>
>>320604448
"Hood/Clothing/Bandage/Trousers worn upon awakening to the nightmare of blood and beasts.
Perhaps its wearer had to stay out of sight, and travel by cover of darkness.
Without memory. who will ever know?"
>>
Why do other Hunters NPCs attack you when you're supposed to be on tye same side

Wouldnt the moon presence try to make them help you?
>>
>>320604448

"Clothing worn upon awakening to the nightmare of blood and beasts.
Not typical clothing for Yharnam, perhaps it is of foreign origin. It is said, after all, the traveler came to Yharnam from afar.
Without memory, who will ever know?"

>>320604517
They're blood-addled.
>>
Who composed the DLC soundtrack and are they doing DS3?

Incredible, really. Even mediocre bosses get amazing themes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiboHWwr12M
>>
>>320604068
>start thinking he's a hunter
He is a hunter though, anybody who is capable of fighting or defending themselves from beasts is clarified as one, for example think of the civilians in bloodborne, all are stuck inside their homes to wait out the night, the reason your character is brought to Yharnam is to find some super medicine blood that was told to be capable of curing any disease, the simple fact that you areable to enter the hunters dream at lamposts while normal people cannot only justifies this.
>>
>>320589534
We are just a pawn to the Moon Presence, as is Gehrman. MP wants to kill off the competition. That is literally all there is to the story of our protagonist.
>>
>>320604448
You came to Yharnam to cure an illness. You didn't intend to become a hunter, Gehrman basically kidnapped you and forced you into it.
>>
>>320604674

I actually meant to say you start thinking you're just* a hunter, but you clearly had a very different reason to be there as well but you will never know because they pulled off a DaS 2 of "LOL YOU DUN REMEMBER"
>>
>>320604674
Only hunters linked to the dream are capable of using lamps.
You seem to be the only hunter that uses the lamps. Djura and Eileen both say they stopped dreaming, and the Yahargul trio actually destroy the lamp when they find it because they know what it is but can't use it.
>>
>>320604731
Gehrman didn't do anything, he is just a tool.
>>
>>320604602

This game's OST is fucking incredible.

I still get chills everytime I watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-doUT5q_dYc
>>
>>320604854
It's not clear what involvement Gehrman has with the dream. He could be a prisoner, he could be a puppet, or he could be the actual master.
>>
>>320604863
DLC took it to a new level. Laurence's theme is insane, only reason the boss is tolerable
>>
>>320599908
Then why does the Moon Presence take your leg in the non-cord refusal ending? Obviously it doesnt physically confine you to a wheelchair since Gehrman did just fine without his leg too, but it represents some sort of captivity or symbiotic bond.

I actually think both of you are right in a sense though. I feel as if Moon Presence is trying to keep the other Great Ones from doing something, probably wanting to keep humanity to ascending to their level for some purpose. My guess it WANTS to keep them oblivious to the real goings on in the greater scope to protect their fragile minds but it needs a Hunter (Gehrman, you) to lead other hunters and be its puppet/partner in doing this. The ending trophy for Childhoods Beginning mentions "bringing humanity into a new age" or something like that so it seems to me Moon Presence is keeping them from peering into the darkest parts of the universe to save themselves from their curiosity. Look at every human whos gained enough insight into whats really going on, Micolash, Willhelm, Fake Iosefka, and you'll notice that the human mind simply cannot handle eldritch knowledge beyond a certain point without going entirely mad. I feel like this is what the Moon Presence is using hunters for: To stop other Great Ones, who simply want to help humanity as they see them as surrogate children, from wiping themselves out with madness and this objective ties into that too. It sees that keeping humanity oblivious helps it better than just giving them what they truly want.
>>
Always remember.
Great Ones are sympathetic in spirit.
>>
>>320604972

The best ones to me are the one I linked you and the themes from Orphan, Blood-starved beast and The One Reborn. Orphan's music was perfect, it gives you such a rush and fits so fucking perfectly to the battle when he transforms. It's like the music is actively trying to tell me "YOU FUCKED UP! YOU FUCKED UP! YOU FUCKED UP!"
>>
>>320604938
It is pretty fucking clear though.
The MP is the one who created the Hunters of the Workshop as a means to assert his dominance over the other great ones. Just think about it, you destroy everything that could be a threat to it. Rom, Ebrietas, Mergo.
>>
>>320605105
music change when boss changes phase was a very nice touch. Perfect for bosses like Gascoigne, hope they do it again in DS3
>>
>>320605197
Rom is just there, hiding the ritual.
Ebby is just there, doing nothing.
Mergo doesn't even have a body.
>>
>>320605234
I actually need to revisit some bosses and pay attention to the music. How the fuck do they change the music to different parts of it right away as soon as the boss changes without making it sound like they just blatantly skipped a portion of the song?
>>
>>320602395
Wanna add on to this that if you look out into the Hunters Dream fog with all the pillars, you can see that beneath it is actually a rolling ocean. I believe the same is true for the Frontier as well, hence all the ship masts in the background. The ocean is the sky in the dream "below" each other. Humanity refers to it as "the Cosmos" because it seems as if theyre descending from space but in reality theyre coming in from a literal ocean in the sky, hence why a lot of them seem to look like squids or have a tentacle motif.
>>
>>320605234
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA614N3IHD4
Gascoigne is actually my favourite. Wish the OST version didnt go into the other phase tracks so quick, the first phase track is great.
Also, neat little thing I found related to it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzjso0dt-tM
>>
>>320605234
Just copying ff14, sad really that they couldn't come up with something of their own...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGQvL6aPBNU&#t=264s
>>
>>320605197
You destroy everything that can give humanity insight, and every human that gains enough insight generally goes mad and dies. The MP is trying to protect humanity as its surrogate children FROM eldritch knowledge by killing the other Great Ones outright giving them that knowledge because theyre only trying to help (Ebrietas) or beings that are used by them to gain that knowledge and/or summon more Great Ones (Mergo.) Rom was just stalling the Mensis Ritual until a hunter could sufficiently deal with it, but her just being alive suppresses a lot of the nightmare so you kind of have to kill her just because you have no other choice if you want to just flatout remove Mergo from the equation instead of being in a perpetual standoff.
>>
>>320605914
Plenty of games have done it before. It's still effective.
>>
>>320605282
I always saw Rom as keeping the ritual from being completed instead of hiding it but that actually makes more sense now that I think about it. Also explains why Willhem actually points to the water in what could be an attempt in saying "MURDER THAT THING BECAUSE FUCK THE MENSIS SCHOOL." If he DIDNT want the thing literally sitting in the water next to Byrgenwerth, he wouldnt have been pointing towards it as if to tell you to take care of it.
>>
>>320606241
Rom was probably brain dead, as 'vacuous' would imply.
She was just doing as she was told.
>>
>>320603563
The lecture hall belonged to Mensis, not Byergenworth.
>>
>>320598064
So what happened with Loran?
>>
>>320604517
That's the curse.

Using Great One's Blood, the one you were transfused with during character creation segment, the one that gives you crazy abilities and you use to heal, eventually makes you crazy and eventually become a beast

A good chunk of hunters were able to resist it, but it eventually led to more horrific transformations, like Ludwig

As a bonus you become crazy and get teleported by an Amygdala to the Nightmare Realm
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.