[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Borderlands 1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: psycho_1920.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
psycho_1920.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
Is Borderlands 1 any good?
What's the difference between 1 and 2/Pre-Sequel?

I've only played 2 and PS with a friend so I'm curious if this series has always been a bullet sponge-y memefest or was there potential at one point
>>
>memefest

Is two really that bad, or are you autistic? I barely noticed any memes at all
>>
>>320545830
It doesn't have that many "actual" memes, if you wanna get technical about it. I'm generally referring to shitty jokes and cringeworthy dialogue.

2 isn't that bad, but Pre-Sequel is terrible.
>>
1 is 2 but with less of everything. Less guns, less story, less scenery, less classes, less endgame bosses, less enemy types etc. But it's still pretty decent.
>>
>>320546018
I think the cringy dialogue and jokes are intentional
Not that shit like dialogue makes a difference on a shooter
>>
>>320546185
I'm fine with less guns, frankly 90% of the guns I got in 2 were kind of terrible.
>>
>>320546018
1 and 2 are fine.

The Pre-Sequels writing is so tryhard it's crazy. My Girlfriend is a massive Tumblr SJW (seriously from her Tumblr literally just seems like female 4chan with basically the exact discussions from a female point of view) and she loves the Borderlands games (1,2 , Tales) but she couldn't stand pre-sequel past 2-3 hours because "wow, this writing is really, really bad"
>>
>>320545664
Borderlands 1 is objectively better than both 2 and ps. Too bad you played ps and 2 first. You've probably been tainted and won't be able to enjoy 1 at this point.
>>
>>320546747
If it's objectively better wouldn't I be able to enjoy it regardless of which game I played first?
>>
>>320546747
no, it's not.

borderlands 2 was better in literally every fucking way..

It would be like trying to place AC1 after playing AC2.
>>
Everyone who played borderlands 1 first liked it more.
Everyone that i've seen play BL2 first just say
>hurr bad graphics
>hurr it's boring and grindy
mfw BL2 is just BL1 with a big ole' skinner box attached otherwise it's the same game
>>
>>320547697
I played 1 first and like 2 more because there's more stuff to do.
>>
>>320545664
Best entry, imo
>>
If you end up playing, I recommend you DON'T use the vehicles. Walking around the wastes was some of the comfiest shit I've done in gaming.
>>
>>320545664
I liked BL1 more than 2. 1 had more guns and was a blast to play multiplayer with everyone having all kinds of crazy modded weapons like game crashing rocket launchers and half invisible insta kill weapons. It was like going to some kind of batshit insane weapons emporium. I couldn't bring myself to get to playthrough 2.5 in BL2, it just felt a lot less charming and there was less fun guns that kept me wanting to play.
>>
>>320547697
this desu >>320547819
>>
played 1 before 2. i like 2 better. ps is... different.
>>
On paper, 2 should be better in every way. In practice, I've found 1 is actually better, even when replaying. The damage scaling works far better, the guns feel like actual guns instead of paintball guns that shoot magic, the guns look and sound better, the shooting stuff is still viable in late game (rather than having to slag and spam tediore reloads). Its more succinct I guess.
>>
Borderlands 1 has a much better loot system, both in terms of how loot is scaled, how legendary/unique guns are found, the frequency at which you get guns of different raritiees, and the actual way guns are genrateed/what their parts aree.

In every other respect, it's inferior to the second game, but I feel that this one part alone is so much better in BL1 and that loot is such an important part of the games that it's (1) overall the better game. I have hundreds of hours in 1, I could not even finish 2.

2 with 1's loot system would probably be one of my top 10 games ever.

Also, make sure you get the DLC/expansions, it has some of the best/least jewy examples of DLC in the entire 7th generation.
>>
They completely botched the weapon system in the sequels. All except a few of the manufacturers are virtually useless and they took out proficiency completely so you feel less like you're specializing in something. I guess that's not a big deal for most people but if you're playing with friends its nice to be able to decide who gets which types of weapons.
>>
>>320550989
To be honest, although I preferred the first installment, I thought DLC was handled much better in the second game.
>>
>>320551164
>>320550989
>>320550806
>>320548219
bettelootsystemoutweigheverythingeelsemind

>>320551292
I never even finished 2 so I wouldn't know. I'd fucking kill for a mod that fixes 2's scaling and makes legendary/uniques work like they did in 1.
>>
File: 1450382039913.gif (2 MB, 300x290) Image search: [Google]
1450382039913.gif
2 MB, 300x290
>>320551292
What? You liked all those head packs?
>>
>>320551525
Okay, I don't even consider that DLC, but I suppose it counts. The four full length campaigns were pretty good though. Also characters can provide some decent replay value.
>>
>>320545664
1 is great but suffers from almost no writing and weak dialogue. DLCs are great and it has a decent backstory if you can find it.

2 does everything better than 1 but the loot system and scaling is garbage and has terrible writing and dialogue. You will definitely have fun within the first couple hours before you start noticing all the gaping flaws.
>>
So... you guys... want to get together and play Borderlands 1/2/1.5?
>>
>>320551771
Yeah, the campaigns were decent and the extra classes were great. The head packs were ultra jewish though, and the Headhunter ones could have been better priced.
>>
Borderlands 1 is overall more stiff and has less stuff to do than 2 (but still a shitton with the GOTY version)

But the loot system and damage scaling is so much fucking better than 2, you don't have to grind bosses for legendaries, you just run into them, your guns are actually worth keeping (I kept some weapons for most of the game because they were that good), there's no HAHA MEMES Anthony Burch writing.
>>
>>320551797
oh and I forgot to include 2's DLCS: BE WARNED. DON'T SPEND MONEY ON ANYTHING YOU DON'T NEED.

Tina's Dragon Assault is the only passable DLC because it is actually "finished" and "polished" out of all the DLC and actually includes new shit for once.

The other DLC to consider is Hammerlock. It's decent but short as fuck.

Don't bother with the rest. They're all garbage despite what anyone else says.

Don't get the pre-sequel either. It somehow managed to be even worse than 2.

Also watch these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-v738HMMuE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNUKDyppwuk
>>
File: weapon scaling.jpg (72 KB, 543x600) Image search: [Google]
weapon scaling.jpg
72 KB, 543x600
because WoW had big numbers and they want people to buy their game
>>
>>320552301
Pirate Booty and Torgue's should be gotten for the raid bosses and unique guns at least. And everyone who has BL2 should get Mercenary Day because it's one of the absolute best places to farm for gear.
>>
>>320552301
1's DLC is good though, right?
>>
i mean just look at this shit

>>320552485
not worth the money. Not even the slightest. Stop forcing OP to waste money. Fuck off.
>>
>>320552547
Calm down retard, OP's already played 2.
>>
>>320552535
just watch somebody's playthrough of it. You're not missing anything but empty areas and farming farming farming. The new loot isn't even worth it. The base game has good stuff as well. Well mostly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtmaEYM1Cvg
>>
>>320552535
>>320552673
oh i'm sorry i misread. my hate for 2 reaches no bounds.

Yes. get all the DLC for 1. They're good. General Knoxx's secret armory is somewhat frustrating though. Those big Lance vehicles are deadly.
>>
>>320545664

It feels a little more dated, the story isn't full of memes, the skill system isn't as fleshed out as 2 or pre sequel, but it has a better gun system imo and it's a bit more balanced.
>>
>>320548219
>>320550806
>>320550989
>>320551164
>>320551797
>>320552253
I don't think i've ever seen /v/ agree on something this much that's not "Is X good/shit?" or something equally simple.
>>
>>320552547
Oh no, the game gets harder as you get to higher level
>>
>>320553078
see >>320552391
>>
>>320551292

I felt most of the DLC was kind of shitty, especially goddamn hammerlock's. Torque was alright, Pirate was meh, Tina's was actually pretty good. Although to be fair I think the only one that really stood out in 1 was Knoxx.
>>
>>320545664
>bl1 is pretty bland not bad tho, more like a mmo grindquest simulator
>bl2 is imo better in many regards
>didnt play ps it just looked like 2 with low gravity
>>
I've been playing 1 and got to a house/lair dungeon and 2/TPS didn't have those. Houses are the best dungeons. Small rooms, hallways, and tight spaces. The tension.
>>
>>320552547

The scaling was kind of alright up to 50, after 50 and especially after 60 it just went full retard. Don't even mention OP levels.
>>
>>320546185
> less guns
> 2 has one less manufacturet and weapon type
Sure more grenades and shields but defo less guns
>>
>>320545664
Borderlands 1 is the best because the atmosphere was very simple and the universe was new. Everything after feels like Tumblr with a shitload of pop-culture references and memes. I wish I could unplay 2
>>
>>320545664
Borderlands 1 is a wasteland. Borderlands 2 is a theme park.
>>
>>320553470
It's essentialty that. The new weapon types aren't even fun.
Also, >le lesbo jokes get old pretty quickly
>>
>>320546615
>My Girlfriend is a massive Tumblr SJW
Nice bait. Here's your reply, you pathetic virgin.
>>
>>320546018
>TPS
>terrible

It had a lot less it content but I didn't think it was that bad. At least all the characters were fun to play as. Low gravity was great too. Shooting games need more mobility.
>>
>>320553808
I forgot to say that I genuinely enjoyed the DLCs in BL1 and though they were a good model for how DLC content should be handled by developers.
>>
>this autist spamming charts and graphs that don't mean anything

I'd give you some free (You)s but it looks like you already got them.
>>
>>320553942
it's worse than 2.

do i have to remind you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaybGfevu6c
>>
File: anthony burch's wife.jpg (100 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
anthony burch's wife.jpg
100 KB, 500x499
>>320554408
Anthony Burch, is that you?
>>
>>320553942
TPS has one major problem. It has no replayability.
Sure, go grind for the same minuscule weapon pool over and over again.
The characters are good, but there's no content.
There's 3 "raids" in the game, that one in the first fucking zone, that mini one in the second fucking zone, and the boss of the only Content-based DLC.
No actual end-game content, just 3 "bosses" you can grind all you want with no real goal or loot potential because of Grinder and such.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.