[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does FF7 get so much hate?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: 1198685380-00.jpg (42 KB, 707x416) Image search: [Google]
1198685380-00.jpg
42 KB, 707x416
Why does FF7 get so much hate?
>>
because people are talking about it
>>
I personally can't get into any of the FF games except for Tactics. I never understood the love for FF7 to begin with.
>>
How was a straight port from SNES to GBA better than a completely reworked port from SNES to iOS?
>>
>>320513058
You'd have to have played them at the time they were released.

Back then, even action games weren't as involving as they are now, so menu-based combat where you ultimately just selected "Attack" by spamming X 99% of the time was considered acceptable gameplay
>>
>>320513058
People who are literally so autistic they only consume video games for entertainment are legitimately enthralled by the stories.
>>
>>320512527

Because it is cool to hate on what is popular and saying things that aren't really better surpass them.

FFVI is a masterpiece still, as well as FFVII
>>
>>320512527
it will have a remake so the "sekrit club" have to hate it so they'll look like the popular cool kids around here
>>
>>320512527
The haters are more likely to tell you, than someone who likes it
>>
File: 1446191273347.jpg (57 KB, 640x912) Image search: [Google]
1446191273347.jpg
57 KB, 640x912
>>320512527

>Why does FF7 get so much hate?
Compared to other FF games, it actually has the most fanboys and defenders.
>>
>>320512527
FF7 was a "You had to be there" experience. So people who didn't play it at release don't have the same environment to experience the game in and find it to be lack luster by later standards, which it is. At the time though, in that moment, it was a pretty big deal.
>>
>>320515007

As someone who played it when the Playstation was the latest system, I still found it to be a chore to play. Not everyone who played it back in the day liked it.
>>
>>320515007

I played it a few years ago and it's my favorite game so your stupid argument is invalid

If you think everyone who likes it played it at the time, you are stupid
>>
>>320515007
>FF7 was a "You had to be there" experience.
>FF7 was the "It has the be your first FF" experience.
ftfy
>>
>>320512527
because it's hip and trendy to hate nice things.
>>
>>320512527
It's popular.
>>
I dont understand why people HATE ff7. Its not like its a bad game its your typical final fantasy that just had alot of things click with a much bigger audience.

7>10>6>9>4>5>8>3 IMO
>>
>>320515863
>7 and 10 in the top
>5 ranked so low
>>
>>320512527
Because it's fun
>>
>>320512527
have you ever tried feeling like a special snowflake?
Seriously, try it, it feels great
>>
>>320512527
It's honestly overrated as all hell, especially being babies first JRPG.

It's still a damn solid JRPG though, with amazing music, and good characters/story.
>>
9 > 6 > 10 > 7 > 12 > 3 > 2 > 4 > 1 imo senpai
Never played 5 and 8 so cant judge those.
>>
>>320513109
lazy devs
>>
>>320515007
You didn't have to be there for FF7, FF7 was huge because it had no competition and was heavily marketed with its prerendered cutscene graphics shown off constantly. There was no other game of the size or scope of FF7 in 1997, just like how there was no other 3D adventure game with the size or scope of Ocarina of Time in 1998. Both games bought market space through marketing and having no competition.
>>
>>320512527
>thinking /v/ enjoys games
you must be new here
>>
>>320512527

Popularity. You know /v/ is a contrarian board as well as I. Honestly, I'm surprised that it hasn't become popular to rebel against the popular opinion of the board, thus loving whatever the mainstream does.
>>
>>320512527
Fanbase.
>>
>>320516431
5's job system is just a beta version of materia with less customization.

10 has a vastly better actual combat system.
>>
>>320513058
It's a time thing, anon.

Back then, that shit was revolutionary.
>>
File: JP_AC2_BOX.jpg (61 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
JP_AC2_BOX.jpg
61 KB, 640x640
just marketing really. it's surpassed in every way by the super nintendo games and everything after (except 8)

anyone playing in 2015 would be revolted by the awkward graphics and 7th grade tier phrasing

>>320517619
>There was no other game of the size or scope of FF7 in 1997
>>
The people who defend FF7 are like the people who defend the Star Wars prequels.

We get it, you were like seven at the time and everybody said Star Wars is a big deal so you look over all the faults in order to enjoy it.
>>
>>320515007
No, you didn't, that's total fucking bullshit.
>>
>>320520824

What are you talking about? The fanbase isn't that bad for the most part. Nothing at all compared to, say, the Sonic fanbase or the Undertale fanbase, or the Senran Kagura fanbase, or... many, many others.
>>
>>320521276

>anyone playing in 2015 would be revolted by the awkward graphics

If you're a kid or never grew up, maybe.
>>
>>320521928

if you're suggesting every game from 1997 looks as god awful as ffvii you couldn't be more wrong
>>
what is the gba ff v port good?
>>
>>320522085

Never. I'm just saying that graphics shouldn't bother anyone but children. Even as a child I couldn't care less about graphics.
>>
>>320512527
It's overhyped by people who don't get it. Gay sex idol sephiroth and brooding moody cloud ruined the perception of it.

Basically shitty fans that wear naruto headbands to school ruined it
>>
>>320522338

graphics matter because it's primary sense to interact with the game... the only other being sound. graphics is more to than technical prowess or # of polygons. talking about art direction. the art direction in FFVII is trash. it's granstream saga tier, looks unfinished.

actually it looks worse than granstream saga in motion
>>
>>320522687

At the end of the day, I value gameplay above all else. Even music and story I value more than graphics. Video games are an interactive medium, so as long as I'm having fun interacting, nothing else matters. This is different from, say, comic books and TV shows, which are passive, so I care more about the visuals (but I can still watch old shows with shitty CGI as long as long as its got good characters and story).
>>
>>320522687

>graphics matter because it's primary sense to interact

What? They are not. The primary method of interaction is using the controller/keyboard.
>>
>>320523462

may be a bad way to phrase it. primary way to get feedback from the interaction. there is little point in playing most games without sight.
>>
>>320512527
While it was a rather impressive looking game at the time (the jump of visual fidelity from the SNES to the Playstation was a bit of an eye opener), a lot of the dumbest things Final Fantasy has experienced could be tracked back to either VII or X.
>>
>>320523627

>Kids these days don't even have enough imagination to deal with NES tier graphics

Well, there have been graphicsfags since the dawn of video gaming, this is nothing new.
>>
>>320515007
Maybe if you're a child that would be the case. If someone has values that clash with the game, it doesn't matter when it came out, they wouldn't like it regardless. You're a child if the only reason you would have thought a game is well made is because it looked better when it came out.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.