[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where were you when Nintendo gave everyone including itself the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 17
Where were you when Nintendo gave everyone including itself the middle finger?

>You no want expensive touchscreen controller!? Too bad. Muh honoru must save face. Double down on wiiu tablet+!

Has any other company destroyed itself out of spite for its audience?
>>
>>320509897
Nintendo is well and truly dead.

Pachinko company when?
>>
Wow... guess I'm not getting an NX
>>
>>320509897
>>320509998
>>320510135
The tablet of the U is great, you fucking morons. That was never the problem.
>>
The Wii U was the start of a good idea though OP.

If Nintendo could make another Wii U but have the gamepad actually be a proper handheld they would probably do really well.

The NX will most likely be what people thought the Wii U was going to be when they first saw it.
>>
File: 1448310607534.gif (1 MB, 250x233) Image search: [Google]
1448310607534.gif
1 MB, 250x233
Just a patent; not indicative of final products; many companies do this, etc.
>>
They're physical sticks surrounded by touchscreen

Honestly I'm excited to see what they can do with it
>>
>>320510341
That and dropping the asymmetrical multiplayer bullshit the U has.
>>
File: inine-08246454-009-small.jpg (45 KB, 642x545) Image search: [Google]
inine-08246454-009-small.jpg
45 KB, 642x545
>>320509897
Sony is dead
>>
>>320510251

Pull your head out the sand, its the #2 reason why people don't buy the console.
>>
>>320510480
>source: my ass
>>
File: bestbrandsoda_610[1].jpg (40 KB, 610x398) Image search: [Google]
bestbrandsoda_610[1].jpg
40 KB, 610x398
>>320510431
I'm trying to play PS5, but these ads keep popping up
>>
>>320510251

The Wii U tablet was Nintendo thinking it could recapture the casual audience who bought the Wii, they realised the casual market had moved on to phone/tablet games and figured "Hey if we make a tablet with our console, they'll come back!"
>>
>>320510480
No, it's not. That 2nd reason they don't is because they still think it's an addon for the Wii, not because of the controller itself, which is perfectly fine, if you ever played anything with it. It's a matter of shit marketing.
>>
>>320509897
Are you fucking stupid? There really are children on /v/ now.
>>
File: sony_1[1].jpg (24 KB, 640x355) Image search: [Google]
sony_1[1].jpg
24 KB, 640x355
>>320510571
They finally have a game!
>>
>>320510612
I think it was more "Hey the DS turned out good let's do it again but on a console"

Dual Screen gaming is the future, just embrace it
>>
>>320510712

>giving yourself eye-strain by having to repeatedly change focus is the future
>>
>>320510612
Putting aside the fact that the DS existed years before, so what? The gamepad is still a fantastic controller with lots of cool functionalities, They making a slimmer version for their next system is nothing but a great idea.
>>
>>320510804
Seriously, my fucking neck hurt when I used the Wii U cause I had to keep straining up and down to see what the fuck was going on, it was fucking awful

Entire reason I am not ever buying one and won't be buying an NX if it's the same, awful awful mechanic.
>>
File: what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png
19 KB, 400x400
>>320510804
>eye-strain by having to repeatedly change focus
>>
>>320509897
>Has any other company destroyed itself out of spite for its audience?
I laughed because this is ironically exactly what I imagine happening. Nintendo hates its fans so much that it's giving them exactly what they don't want to spite them
>>
>>320510876
What the fuck are you even talking about? No game requires you to do that.
>>
>>320510876
What Wii U game demands you to do that?
Zombi U?
>>
>>320509897
What if the NX if just a smart phone type device that only allows Nintendo mobile games?
>>
>>320511073
I hope so, I'll finally be able to say "Nope, that's too far Nintendo" and clean my hands of this company for good.
>>
>>320510251
I bought a Wii U at launch and I fucking hate the tablet. I can't see how anyone likes it except kids who are poor and only have one TV in the family that they often can't use. Otherwise it's been utterly worthless in games.

>b-b-but my menu!
It's easier for me to hit start to access a menu and keep my eyes on the TV than it is to stop playing, look down, adjust to the pad screen, use the menu, look back up, and readjust to the TV screen. It SOUNDS like it makes things easier but it actually makes things more annoying, just as bad as waggle did.
>>
goddamn nintendo's head is thicker than fucking concrete. no information ever gets inside does it? oh well maybe they can part up the company and someone can make a decent metroid game.
>>
>>320511171
Took the words out of my mouth, It's so fucking annoying and pointless, not to mention it does actually hurt your eyes and potentially neck since you have to keep fucking looking up and down.
>>
>>320509897
Dunno about everyone else but I'm pretty hype for a portable/home console hybrid.
I wonder if the sonypony's and xbots will take my bait. I mean, I'm not being ironic, I am hyped. But, take my bait and get salty, please :)
>>
Despite developers not using the Wii U tablet to its full potential you can't deny its well made and extremely comfortable to use.
>>
>>320511171
The tablet enabled Super Mario Maker to be made, and that's all the justification it needs for it's existence. It's a brilliant game.
>>
>>320511306
Yeah man nothin more comfy than eye strain and bobbing your head up and down like you're giving someone a blowjob.
>>
>>320511171
What game requires you to do that? Cause I don't think any do.

>>320511286
You should go see a doctor.
>>
>>320511323
For $60, a level editor should have included a tablet, you fucking drone.
>>
>>320510876
>>320511286
My neck is legitimately fucked up from an accident and i have never had any issues with the Wii U tablet. You're both either lying or delusional.
>>
>>320511323
For 60 dollars you could have included actual hardware to use for it. Or be fucking smart and do what Sony or Microsoft do and just connect your phone or something but no.
>>
>>320511383
Seriously, fuck off and go see an eye doctor.
>>
>>320511424
Calm down, it's just video games.
>>
>>320509897
You realize that 1) that screen has buttons going through it, and 2) not every patent becomes a product. Do we really need a repeat of yesterday where someone posts a gorillion patents that never became products?
>>
>>320511306
it was shit. plus you couldnt replace it without calling nintendo and paying 120$. probably the same shit with these stupid ass controllers.
>>
>>320511306

It's not. It's humongous, the bumper/trigger placement is the worst I've ever seen and oh god the battery life.
>>
>>320511424
>>320511490
>>320511617
>>320511629
The Anti-Nintendo force has arrived
>>
>>320510876
Most of the second screen benefits is rendered pointless by a good hud and pause menu

Sure is convenient but not $100 conveniant

Like how a second screen could been useful in Bloodborn when changing items but not all that needed

Also for your neck issues, I advise placing the gamepad on a stand or something somewher below or near the TV
>>
>>320511532
I bought a smart phone WITHOUT a contract for $40 that has more processing power than the Wii U tablet does, which doesn't even have a processor.

The idea that the Wii U should cost more because it has a tablet is utterly moronic because the Wii U Gamepad isn't infact an actual tablet. There's no CPU and RAM inside like other tablets have. The Wii U Gamepad is nothing more than an ordinary controller with a cheap resistive LCD. It can't cost them more than $30 to produce.
>>
>>320510512
http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/13/nintendo-touchscreen-gamepad-patent/

OP here, it's so stupid people don't believe it until the link drops.
>>
>>320511871
Yeah it's fucking insane people defend it, it's such a blatant cashgrab.
>>
>>320511871
That's because it doesn't need any processing power, that's all taken care of in the console itself. The tablet basically just streams video from the console and takes inputs.
It's not a stand-alone device and never has been. It really shouldn't be compared to a tablet since they're not the same thing at all.
>>
>>320512078
It is a stand alone device you're forced to buy and use.
>>
>>320511892
I was not doubting the patent you retard. Learn how to read.
>>
File: 1426812744204.jpg (40 KB, 371x593) Image search: [Google]
1426812744204.jpg
40 KB, 371x593
>>320509897

they're just clueless

MS and Sony both realize that the future of mainstream gaming is mobile hence why their consoles put TV/movies first and games second.

Nintendo is living in 2005 and still thinks they can make another Wii. This is not the case, even if Nintendo is more gaming-focused than other console makers. But even then, the lineup of games is mediocre from a pure customer angle (only mario/zelda games, some weeb shit but ultimately lackluster compared to other consoles or Steam).

In the end, they'll either find a niche selling these things to children or they'll end up like Sega. The former isn't too unrealistic, there's plenty of parents that will pay $150 for a netflix box that can play casual games. All it needs is Netflix, a back catalog of cheap games, and a low pricepoint. But If Nintendo fucks up any of those it won't sell.
>>
>>320512140
You can't use it without a Wii U, you can't even buy the tablet itself unless it's a replacement directly from Nintendo.
You're an moran
>>
>NX is Nintendo's next handheld.
>But you can purchase a seperate console for it.
>The handheld and console now sync up as one system.
>Nintendo can now get third party games with the handheld+console combination power, while still having Nintendo'like games for just the handheld.
>They get to eat their cake and keep it too.

Give me one reason why this wouldn't be the perfect move.
>>
>>320512078
I'm just saying, considering that fact, what was even the point of including it in the console if not to justifying how overpriced it was? Considering how few games have actually used it, they could have just sold it as an add-on and or even bundled it with software like Mario Maker and let people buy it who want to use it.

I use the Pro controller for every game I can because I enjoy using a comfortable, normal controller
>>
>>320512078
So why is the system so fucking expensive? Why are the lone controllers so fucking expensive?
>>
>over 50 posts
>20 posters
hmmm

i wonder who could be behind the nintendo bashing.
>>
>>320510512

No, it is the reason. To normies, the controller is a combination of their phone screen and a regular controller. They don't see the point in it period especially when it's not as cheap as other consoles.

If it was just a regular gamepad, normies would at least view it as a regular console and not some sort of toy.
>>
I got a wii u from a friend who ended up dropping it for a PS4. It's a fun system, but more than anything else, i'm just waiting for games for it. I bought xenoblade chronicles X, but i'm done with it already. I burn through games, and very few nintendo games have online that's quality. Which is a pretty big deal nowadays, maybe not to others but most certainly to me.

It feelsl ike it's behind the times. Not necessarily in terms of graphics or whatever, but just mechanically. Lots of small things. I'm glad they finally introduced a proper eshop account system, but still.

I don't know, I don't "regret" it, cause I got it for $100, but if i'd paid more I think i'd be pretty upset. The system doesn't have the sheer volume of games the wii had, and it doesn't have the absolutely monstrous hard-hitting catalog the GC had. It's sort of like the N64. It's got some real gems, but lots of just... Meh.
>>
>>320512393
It's almost like there are people having a discussion or something
>>
>>320510612
No.

They were developing the gamepad, and then the tablet boom came. They had no idea that it was going to happen, and that it was going to completely invalidate their controller. Everyone saw it and went "oh, it's a tablet". But it wasn't ever meant to be a tablet or anything like a tablet. It was just really unfortunate timing.
>>
>>320511304

>being hyped for a thing that will have all the worst aspects of portables and home consoles

t. wii U owner
>>
>>320512393
look at literally any other thread on /v/ and it has a similar makeup. people obviously want to have a conversation about something so they'll post multiple times
>>
>>320512535
>>320512493
this is less of a discussion and more of one or two guys shitting on Nintendo.
>>
File: 1447364584161.gif (599 KB, 290x270) Image search: [Google]
1447364584161.gif
599 KB, 290x270
>>320509897
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT6pkTEkq8A

Nintendo stealing his controller ideas again.
>>
>>320512518
Then, gosh, here's an idea, let the console be tablet compatable and have the gamepad be optional for those who don't own one.

Wow, problem fucking solved and the Wii U costs less.
>>
>>320512405
Do you have ANYTHING to back that statemen upt? I'm talking about a study, poll, or even Nintendo themselves coming out and saying that the gamepad is indeed the second reason as to why the console failed, not just some anonymous person's theories.
>>
>>320512265

>>Nintendo can now get third party games with the handheld+console combination power

on what basis? They can't even get third parties on the Wii U despite having loads of them on the Wii. Given that the NX is more technically complicated, what makes you think third parties will bother developing for it

>Give me one reason why this wouldn't be the perfect move.

because it'll just confuse people even more, and nobody will bother if either unit costs more than $200
>>
>>320512393
/v/ is a Nintendo stronghold. Acting like Nintendo fans are being singled out is like those christian Americans whiny about being oppressed and saying there's a war on Christmas because some dude said happy holidays in a Starbucks to them.

You can criticize Nintendo for doing stupid shit. It's how you get them to stop doing stupid shit. You want better games right? Complain and hold onto your money until they make shit actually intended for you.
>>
>>320512668
Wow, that's a terrible idea. Please, please never go into business. You will lose all of your money.

I don't know why you're responding to my post the way you are, though. I was responding to an assertion that Nintendo copied tablets to make the Gamepad. I was refuting that. There wasn't anything about whatever the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>320512668
That's a fucking awful idea and completely misses what Nintendo was trying to do with the Gamepad, which was basically to make a big DS.
Tablets don't have buttons like a controller.

Also what's your problem with the pricetag? Am I arguing with a child or neet?
>>
>>320512669

here you go:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-wii-u-is-not-a-peripheral-nintendo-reminds-shoppers/1100-6416840/

>During E3 2012, Nintendo marketing executive Scott Moffitt admitted that the Wii U is "confusing" relative to the Wii. With the original Wii, you could watch someone swing a Wii Remote and you would "get it," but the Wii U is more of a challenge, he said.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii-u-message-confusing-nintendo/1100-6383049/

>How are you planning to communicate to consumers that the Wii U is an entirely new system?

>Well, it's confusing relative to the Wii. With motion control gaming, when you saw Mr. Iwata and Reggie stand up and swing a motion controller, it brought it to life immediately. With a second screen controller, you need to see what's on the second screen, so by nature it's a more complex system. It's less visually easy to understand.

Alternatively, ask a gamestop cashier about it. I'd post threads back from 2012 about it, but the archive is dead.

The point is that normies thought the Wii U was an addon, mostly because to them it looks really fucking stupid. Again, it's a phone screen mashed into a game controller. Casuals looked at it, said "wut" and walked away. The Wii U has been struggling since.
>>
>>320513052
You place the tablet somewhere near or below the TV screen and you basically get the same benefits

Touching the screen is hardly necessary for like 90% of Wii U games
>>
>>320512265

The PS4/Vita already share a relationship a lot like this but it's not doing the Vita any favors.

It's a cool concept but I don't think a lot of people out there will care. At this point I just wish the NX has a good launch line up and Nintendo finally expands beyond Mario.
>>
>>320513241
Thank you.
>>
>>320513043

How would removing the Wii U's tablet make the system sell worse? It'd immediately make it cheaper therefore more palatable as a budget system. Coupled with a better name (say the Wii 2 or Super Wii) people would have bought it. At the very least, they wouldn't have been confused over it.
>>
>>320513241
I still think they should have dropped the Wii name altogether, it just confused the average unassuming consumer. But I guess they were hoping for another Wii in terms of success and thought people would be drawn to the name instead of being confused by it.
>>
>>320513241
>Again, it's a phone screen mashed into a game controller. Casuals looked at it, said "wut" and walked away.
This is the exact perception of people who aren't really Nintendo fans.

Do you remember when Apple came out with the iPad? And then everyone else started coming out with tablets? I know that me and my friends started laughing at the competition, who could only "copy apple". It invalidated their products in our minds.

Think about that atmosphere, then imagine that you see some thing which looks like a tablet for about the same price as a tablet, hooked up to some white machine. It's by Nintendo.

"Oh," you say, "it's a Nintendo tablet for the Wii."

You then dismiss it because that's what you did to tablets back then. My hardcore gamer friends still call the controller a tablet as though it's a four-letter word whenever I tell them that the Wii U is actually really fun to play.
>>
>>320513052
>Also what's your problem with the pricetag? Am I arguing with a child or neet?
Or

Or a potential customer whodoesn't want to feel gipped
>>
>>320512748
>because it'll just confuse people even more, and nobody will bother if either unit costs more than $200

It could totally get across to people, it's all about smart marketing. Their are way harder concepts to get then two machines synch'ing up in modern mainstream consumption, it's all about how you present it.

And I think selling them separately is a great idea, if the microtransaction cancer has proven anything is that people buy more when it's in smaller chunks. I agree that the architecture could be too complicated though for devs to bother.
>>
>>320510690
Jesus if it really comes to that lets just agree to stop playing games
>>
>>320509897
>Has any other company destroyed itself out of spite for its audience?

SEGA? NEC?
>>
Tbh Nintendo couldn't recover from the Wii U even with a respectable, standard console design. They've bombed in the minds of most consumers. The only way to possibly win them back is with another gimmick that people actually want this time
>>
>>320513423
No, not "removing the tablet would make it sell worse", "replacing the controller with third-party tablets would make it sell worse".

Have you ever used a tablet to play games on? It's shit. It's pure, unadulterated shit.

At that point in development, scrapping the Gamepad would have been a monumental waste of resources, it would have taken a ton more resources to make the system compatible with all third-party tablets - maybe even require them to rebuild the entire console, depending. All of their marketing and games in development focused on their second screen.

It would have been a monumental waste of money for an objectively inferior experience. Nobody would ever even use the optional tablet things, so that'd have been just a worthless effort right there.

Don't try and fucking backpedal now that you realized that your idea was idiotic. You know what you said. Maybe getting rid of the gamepad would have been a good idea - the Pro controller is still fucking expensive, FYI - but definitely not replacing it with third-party tablets.
>>
>>320510431
>>320510571
>>320510690

I'm already kind of getting tired of video games and don't really enjoy them that much anymore, if this shit actually happens I'll gladly stop playing video games, fuck I guess I'll just switch to reading books, couldn't hurt.
>>
>>320513494
>>320513241
To be perfectly honest I can understand why they made the Wii U. I'm guessing they started R&D sometime around '09-'10, maybe earlier, and back then the mobile scene wasn't even a fraction of what it is today, so maybe back then making the Wii U made a lot of sense, but then smartphones and tablets started to take ridiculous leaps in technology and by the time the console finally came out, it was hopelessly outclassed by mobile devices in the casual market, so Nintendo couldn't do anything but say "y-yeah this console's for you hardcore gamers!", even though the hardware and marketing was planned for the casuals again.
>>
>>320513736

I'm not against the idea in concept, but the problem is in the details, or rather the implementation. Getting the two things to sync needs to be flawless and easy to do otherwise third parties won't bother. Selling it is the easy part, if both are priced affordably (again, around $200) people will buy it as long as it has 2-3 good launch titles (especially if one of them is Zelda).

The big thing is that, if Nintendo was smart, they'd just open up their back catalog now and start selling everything they have on the eshop. But they haven't done that for some reason, even though they'd make lots of money off it.
>>
>>320514205

That's the same conclusion I came to as well. The Wii U is something that makes sense before 2010. It's a device that works, and pretty well so, but it simply cannot compete (in terms of "mindshare", pardon the buzzword) against smartphones and tablets. It's a miracle that the 3DS is still going strong somehow.
>>
>>320514312
>But they haven't done that for some reason, even though they'd make lots of money off it.
Market saturation. They can sell shit like Baloon Fight because Ocarina of Time wasn't right beside it. By trickling shit out they figure they can sell more games ultimately than if they just dumped a 500+ game catalog at once and people would just buy the few games they want, and the rest would be lost amid a sea of garbage
>>
>>320511171
You sound like a scrub. Honestly i just find it really comfy to use. Like it was made specifically for my hand size in mind. Most controllers fell a little small.
>>
>>320514491
>It's a miracle that the 3DS is still going strong somehow.
It's not though. Outside of Japan, the 3DS has pretty much fallen off the map, and Japan is basically dead outside of handheld and mobile gaming. The 3DS will become Nintendo's worst selling handheld without a doubt.

Nintendo has basically lost 80% of its market share generation over generation. They're in monumental deep shit and most of /v/ doesn't even realize it because this is just a hug box
>>
>>320514875
Not him, but while I like the gamepad, I think the screen is way too big. I have big enough hands and yet I can't reach the center comfortably, so I hope the NX controller is not so broad.
>>
>>320510251
>play a demo of that kirby claymation game at (fucking) gamestop
>wow these graphics are fucking amazing
>have to spend the entire game looking at the tiny ass tablet screen instead of the tv so I can barely see shit

such fabulous design
>>
>>320514312
Yeah I guess you're right. I just think the idea of a console basically working as some kind of docking station for extra power would be neat though.

Nintendo could still release a very Nintendo'like product with the handheld. And then to adress the third-party complaint, boom, an add-on for extra power.

Like some kid wants a gaming system for christmas, he gets the NX handheld. Later on the kids want to move up the food chain and wants a console. Then the NX add-on is cheaper and already works with what the kid got, so it's appealing to the parents.

Who am I kidding kids only care about smartphones anfmd tablets these days.
>>
>>320514970

>They're in monumental deep shit

is being Sega 2.0 really "deep shit"? Modern Sega isn't so bad.
>>
>>320515145
You wouldn't have had the game at all if it weren't for the tablet though.
>>
>>320515174

>Who am I kidding kids only care about smartphones anfmd tablets these days.

Yep. There's a reason why Nintendo advertises it's console to parents and not kids now. But there's money in making a Netflix box that can play SNES games.
>>
>>320515275
I would have much preferred an actual kirby game with those graphics
>>
Disney buy Nintendo when?
>>
>>320515231
It's a far way to fall over a single generation. Sega paved their path over multiple generations.

And I can see Nintendo screwing it up so that they couldn't even become a competent software developer. A lot of their games have lost the shine they once had.

I still don't know whether or not 3DW is supposed to be considered their flagship Mario title, because it's just a sequel using mostly reused assets of the 3DS game. I'd prefer to think that it's not the Wii U's flagship Mario game, and that the Wii U simply didn't have a flagship Mario game. That tastes better going down than Nintendo having completely lost their creative capacity since the Galaxy games
>>
>>320515643

2026 after Mario Boom comes out and nintendo wants to make a TV show.
>>
>>320514159
>Have you ever used a tablet to play games on?
Yes.
> It's shit. It's pure, unadulterated shit.
Holy shit. You must have stumps for hands.
>>
>>320515713

>That tastes better going down than Nintendo having completely lost their creative capacity since the Galaxy games

yeah, I get that feel too. I don't like it either.

I know this sounds like bait but I genuinely like to think nintendo didn't loose their touch. The Wii U, while not perfect, has a certain purity to it. But the games on it aren't great compared to the last gen (or even some smartphone game ripoffs).

I dunno. I'm still hoping that the next Zelda will be good, because SS left a bad taste in my mouth. I liked it as a spinoff/'gaiden story but as a full flagship release it's meh. Looking back, I felt the same about TP but I also liked the odd one-off games (like de blob) the Wii had. All those types of games are on Steam now.
>>
>>320509897
They've patented countless various controller gimmicks in the past few years. Doesn't mean they'll all be used. Could even be a "let's just not let anyone else do it" thing.
>>
>>320515713
>it's just a sequel using mostly reused assets of the 3DS game
This is why I avoid console war threads. Idiots like you who think 3D World is using 3D Land assets. Idiots who think Galaxy is significantly different to 3D World are extra funny. Both games involve mostly linear runs from starting point to the finish line in a 3D-ish Mario world.
>>
File: nx portable.png (713 KB, 1200x651) Image search: [Google]
nx portable.png
713 KB, 1200x651
Would you?
Yes, it has physical buttons and sticks.
>>
>>320509897

Lest you post the blueprints of the Wii U Gamepad, then show us the final design, that pic you uploaded means fuck all.
>>
>>320516451

depends purely on the price for me, I got a Wii U day one at full retail price and I regret it

if it's got the games at launch then I'll get it, but I'm not buying it and then waiting
>>
File: Doomguy.png (89 KB, 283x244) Image search: [Google]
Doomguy.png
89 KB, 283x244
>>320516451
>>320509897
i will never ever understand this shit

please
for the life of me
explain it to me

WHY WOULD I WANT MY SHIT TO BE PART OF THE SCREEN?

WHY WOULD I WANT MY SCREEN OBSCURED BY THE BUTTONS?

FUCKING
explain this shit to me holy shit

do you people just plant your tv remote infront of your vision so it obscures your screen?
do your computer speakers sit right infront of your screen so you cant see what the fuck is going on?

where is the merit in this?

the best thing you can do for fucking immersion and making me forget that im playing an actual game is by making me not realize the reality infront of the game itself.

fuckign bullshit i hate this shit
i dont want a gay ass screen with smudge marks

NINTENDOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
>>
>>320516942
Think of it as extra space.
>>
>>320516359
3DW just felt like NSMB in 3D, not incidentally the same feeling I got from 3DL. The sense of grandeur and adventure were gone. The levels feel blocky and sterile, devoid of life, like they were made of legos. Most courses are nothing more than an abstract series of floating blocks against a skybox.

Perhaps my biggest complaint is the bosses. It's so by the numbers. The Galaxy games had tons of original bosses, whereas in 3DW you were mostly put up against differing versions of Charging Chuck or that spinning dude I forgot his name. The only memorable boss fight I remember are the hisstocrats.

Something about 3DW was just so derivative, which is the same exact feeling I get from the NSMB games. They're certainly well-made platformers but once you've played one, you feel like you've played them all, and there's certainly nothing memorable about them. That's exactly how I feel about 3DW.
>>
>>320516942

>explain this shit to me holy shit

nintendo thinks the wii u controller was great so they are evolving it instead of scrapping it

why a touchscreen? Because kids use phones these days because it has an easy to use touch interface. Nintendo thinks they can copy that and sell it to people.
>>
>>320517135
but ive got all the space i need in the world and the fuckers decide to put it on the screen

you can put the buttons anywhere
i can comfortably play with a controller behind my back

where is the need to put the shit on the only thing youre looking at?

id rather have a small screen than shit infront of it, it pisses me off so much its like when the fucking cursor wont go away on a fullscreen video holy shit
>>
>>320511323
The fucking PSP had Little Big Planet

Ps1 games like Revolt had level editors just as complex
>>
>>320516451

Why would anyone want parts of the screen hidden behind blind spots created by your hands?

Why would Nintendo invest on a controller to make it make both more expensive and worse?
>>
>all patents become products
Jesus /v/ this is pathetic. F. You really need to apply yourself next time.
>>
File: 1449579511475.gif (178 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1449579511475.gif
178 KB, 160x160
>>320512250
>hence why their consoles put TV/movies first and games second
I love this meme
>>
>>320517603
It won't look exactly like this, but there's every reason to believe the next Nintendo system will be another built in screen monstrosity which is exactly what killed the Wii U

I'm glad really, I can't wait to play Nintendo games on PC when this shit flops again
>>
>>320512265
Why buy an NX to play Asscreed and Fifa when they have a PS4?
>>
File: nintendo-wii-u-patent-nx.jpg (38 KB, 552x452) Image search: [Google]
nintendo-wii-u-patent-nx.jpg
38 KB, 552x452
>>
File: Boss2.jpg (91 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Boss2.jpg
91 KB, 1024x576
>>320517181
>. The Galaxy games had tons of original bosses, whereas in 3DW you were mostly put up against differing versions of Charging Chuck
So you forgot some of the extremely memorable bosses in that game?

Feels to me like you probably put Galaxy up on a weird, undeserved pedestal and thought it was more than it actually was.
>>
Proof this is the NX controller?
Oh wait, you have none.
>>
>>320517726
Exactly.
Much like there's every reason to believe the PS5 will stop consumers from playing games until they get off the couch and shout MCDONALDS! at the screen.
>>
>>320517765
Nintendo, please, I want to like you but you're hurting me.
>>
>>320517779
I don't think a grey blob that splits into many more blobs is memorable. If you've never played a video game before, sure, but I'm 30+.

I *remember* the other bosses but I don't consider them memorable. And there's still only 5 of them. Hissocrats, the rock guys (literally what), the frame guy, the blob guy... and yeah I actually forgot the 5th one, that's how shit it was. Galaxy games had like 3 times that many per game
>>
>>320517765
>This is the next controller for Zelda
WHAT THE FUCK NINTENDO
>>
>>320517603
It's less important to think this will actually be a real thing and more important to show where Nintendo's thought process is. And it's "let's do the same thing again but more expensive."

They're doubling down on a bad idea.
>>
File: freescreenspace.png (416 KB, 1516x846) Image search: [Google]
freescreenspace.png
416 KB, 1516x846
>>320516942
>i will never ever understand this shit
apparently because you're a moron
>>
>/v/ makes 2 million threads over a random patent that probably has nothing to do with the NX

Nintendo has already released like 5 patents that make way more sense with the NX, one that has to do with being a console that splits between a handheld and a console, one that has to do with using cloud processing, one that has to do with hooking up multiple consoles etc.
This doesn't fit in line with any of them. If you believe this is the NX controller, I'm sorry, but you have brain damage.
>>
>>320516451
Looks like a vita successor, so yeah. Not feeling those scroll wheels though.
>>
File: wiiucontrollerplusextra.jpg (73 KB, 858x520) Image search: [Google]
wiiucontrollerplusextra.jpg
73 KB, 858x520
>>320517765
thats the old first prototype, heres the newest one
>>
>>320518079
>gigantic metallic jester
>"it's a blob lol"

Yeah. You put Galaxy on a pedestal and came into 3D World with your mind already made up.
>>
Is /v/ stupid?
At most this is the portable version of the NX.
>>
>>320518231
You know that a console can be based on multiple patents, right?

I know! It's shocking!

I hope they do include all of these gimmicks. Handheld/Console split with a form-fit screen controller which has optional cloud processing and the ability to hook up to another console to get a power boost.
>>
>>320518117
no i understand the idea behind it
what i dont understand is why anyone with half a brain would think its a good thing

technologically speaking its an impressive idea

but how is it better than a normal controller on a big ass tv?
and if we're talking strictly handheld, then its the same thing.

take your pic. the bottom right image shows how it maximizes are for the screen. but if the same exact controller happened to be a bit wider so the buttons could be seperate from the screen it would be an improvement
(not to mention that the best way to maximize the area is with a proper rectangle display)
>>
>>320518348
Actually I wanted to love it the same I do every 3D Mario, and while I think it's good, it's only slightly better than 3DL which is easily the worst. If they would even be considered "3D Mario" games and not "NSMB in 3D" which feels like it should be a distinction to be made.

You've completely evaded my argument that the older games had a larger quantity of unique bosses too.
>>
>>320510376
>image of naked grill on screen
>stick are the nipples
>hey anon wanna play with my tittays

I know this is what you want.
>>
So when is this supposed to be revealed?2016 E3?
>>
>>320514970
Don't worry, they have new Smash bros dlc
>>
Anyone have the patent drawing where the guy has to stand up and about "McDonald's"?
>>
>>320515275
What about the first Canvas course game?
>>
>>320518457
Simply because this is the handheld version of the NX.
I'm willing to bet we'll see 3 versions released of the NX.
1: Handheld only. Basically just that controller like device,
2. Console only. Has a traditional controller without a screen, and the console version of the NX that hooks up to a TV.
3. Bundle that contains both. NX handheld can be used as a controller, and can be used for backwards compatible Wii U games. Some other kind of tie in functionality when using both or some shit. Maybe something like Sony's remote play which lets you stream games on the go, but in this case for a better quality image and framerate.
>>
Having your thumbs in the middle of the screen would be distracting and immersion breaking. It's already a shitty way to play mobile games. I'd take a smaller screen instead any day.
>>
>>320518525
>You've completely evaded my argument that the older games had a larger quantity of unique bosses too.
I haven't evaded anything. Your argument is valid but not sufficient to justify your overall attitude. Mario games are about the bosses.
>>
>>320519031
I'd play on my TV and fuck the screen instead any day.
>>
>>320515398
They are just now getting the library to acceptable levels... What 3 years later?
>>
>>320519193
>not sufficient to justify your overall attitude
I imagine anything short of "it's the absolute best game ever made" is an unjustifiable attitude to you. Perhaps you should go to a hug box thread because it sounds like that's what you're looking for.
>>
>>320518457
>but if the same exact controller happened to be a bit wider so the buttons could be seperate from the screen it would be an improvement
Okay, we make the controller 1.5 times as long. It's now less comfortable to hold. As a handheld, it has failed, since it's now too long to fit in a pocket. It's heavier.

You've also removed all the functionality of having a touch screen right at your thumbs. For what? Because you have this weird, OCD complex about having screen under your fingers?
>>
>>320519720
>As a handheld, it has failed
you mean like every handheld ever that has succeeded?

the vita is the only handheld from either sony or nintendo that completely shit the bed

you know, the one with the touch screen stuff
>>
>>320520101
It's also the only one with a big ass screen with controls to the sides.
>>
>>320509897
Didn't you get BTFO the last time you made this thread? I guess you never learn, huh?
>>
>>320520337
i should have realized i was taking to an idiot earlier
>>
The Wii U is the same price as the PS4, with the power of a Wii.

The NX will have the power of a Wii U, at the price of a high end PC.

This is the future you chose. You should've bought more Gamecubes.
>>
>>320520452
The Wii U is expensive because its tech is actually expensive. A lot of it is actually fairly modern. It's just weak, because they focus on different things than raw power.
>>
>>320520632
you wouldnt happen to have a dayjob in making youtube comments?
>>
>>320511871
>bought a $40 smartphone
we nigga, and you're calling other people stupid?
>>
>>320520101
No, you idiot.

I make the DS. It has a little screen. Hmm, I say, I'll make the screen cover the entire face of the DS. I do so.

Idiot McIdiot (You) comes along and says that that's weird, that I should just make the DS bigger so you can have a big rectangular screen.

I make it bigger. It's now 1.5x as big, it really more resembles the Vita than anything in terms of size (and the Vita is HUGE). Again, I think "hmm, I could maximize my usage of the surface by making the entire thing a screen". The cycle continues.

This isn't about raw screen size. It's about maximizing usage of their space. It's about keeping their product at a small form factor while still having a Vita-sized screen.
>>
>>320520937
>maximize use of space
>by putting part of the screen somewhere it can't be seen

Bravo
>>
>>320515530

Yeah I agree, they shouldnt design games like that for the Wii U, it's so stupid. I'd die for another Kirby 64 on wii u.
>>
>>320520937
i understand that

the idea behind is good, technologically speaking

but i believe that in practice this will be a failure, its not fun to have your vision obscured
>>
>the NDS was made during a time when multiple, smaller screens were cheaper to produce than bigger, single screens
>people bought it in boatloads because there was no competition and the iPad didn't exist yet
>the opposite is actually true now, where the 2DS is actually a single screen that is arbitrarily divided into two to keep up with the dual screen paradigm
>Nintendo will continue to develop this retarded concept because they think it's what made the DS popular and the 2nd best selling console ever
I'm pretty sure there's no god because he wouldn't allow this
>>
>>320514171
They will find a way, believe me. Ads are being retroactively implemented in music videos, for example by putting them on a wall behind the musicians. This is an algorithm and not an overlay, it's part of the video. If everyone would switch to books they'd just print them with ads eventually. You can not stop this industry.
Source: communication and multimedia designer so I'm part of the problem. Sorry but I gotta eat.
>>
>>320521775
>Ads are being retroactively implemented in music videos
That's some South Park shit.
>>
>>320523453
They always predict that bullshit for some reason. I don't think it'll really catch on in mainstream though, it's too invasive (for now).
Eventually ubiquitous computing will be so pervasive that every corner of every city will be times Square and we are surrounded by ads entirely.
>>
>>320523453
Example of this stuff. An avicii clip where certain shots are made to implement marketing later. The billboard was an empty space during filming and different countries can get different final products depending on which products are to be sold there.
Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.