[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Sony, MS and Nintendo all go to AMD to make their consoles,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: asking_questions_on_4chan.png (240 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
asking_questions_on_4chan.png
240 KB, 500x380
Why did Sony, MS and Nintendo all go to AMD to make their consoles, wouldn't Intel or Nvidia have been better choices?
>>
whens the next season
>>
nvidia does not want to do unless they use tegra
>>
>>320490891

Maybe they got a better contract with AMD, maybe Intel or nvidia weren't interested.
>>
>>320490891
I guess they got the better deal with AMD. And when has Intel ever made a console CPU? I think they mostly produce business solutions and products for scientific field then entertainment products.
And why do you think either Nvidia or Intel would be the better choice? They are all custom made chips anyway and I guess they were good enough for what they wanted.
>>
From what short reading i got by searching on this subject it's because they get really poor margins on console sales. It's barely worth it for them.
>>
>>320491159
Intel made the CPU for the OG Xbox, if that counts
>>
>>320491249
Didn't know that, cool.
>>
If I had to guess, the reason is all in the cost. If you look at some of the desktop processors and compare them to their intel counterpart, you're seeing between $50-100 worth in savings.

what I'm more surprised by is that sony/ms haven't rolled out "elite" versions of their consoles, similar to what nintendo did with the 3ds. I'm sure if sony introduced a ps4 that's capable of 60fps/4k quality, and charged around $700 for it, you would have people lined up to buy it.
>>
>>320490891
Consoles, especially current gen are just budget laptops. AMD makes cheaper CPUs.
>>
>>320490891
Because for economic reasons the fewer chips you need the better.

Intel has the best CPUs, but can't make a competitive GPU without leaning on their CPU advantage which drives the cost for a hypothetical Intel gaming SOC way up.
Nvidia has a great GPU, but they have no x86 license because Intel are assholes. So the only SOCs they can offer are ARM based.
AMD has decent x86 CPU cores, and they have decent GPU cores so they could offer a good cost effective SOC chip. They also had their own in house low-level graphics API which removed a lot of their disadvantages on the desktop and the cost for Microsoft and Sony to adopt it.
>>
>>320491868
>A PS4 that's capable of 60fps/4k quality
>$700

LOL
>>
>>320491868
The PS4 is in some ways very much like a PC running FreeBSD, but never forget that its built using an SOC chip. Nobody right now can make an SOC capable of 2160p@60 for current gen games, even high end discrete components still often struggle at hitting that goal.
Even once AMD starts making Zen based SOCs with GCN 2 GPUs and HBM just off the die 2160p@60 will be hard, and a chip like that would require PS4 games to be ported to it to work. So even if it was economically viable to build a console around it that wouldn't simply be a new revision of the PS4, it would be a PS5.

The only new revision of the PS4 we'll see is a cooler running, smaller, and cheaper 16nm version.
>>
>>320493452
THIS
>>
>>320494334
This. Did you fags already forget about the "599 U.S. Dollars" meme already?
>>
File: 1449918348516.png (385 KB, 411x410) Image search: [Google]
1449918348516.png
385 KB, 411x410
>>320490891

>consolekiddies for decades being saying PC is shit and not originally made for games
>current gen consoles use x86 architecture and AMD GPUs

>yfw consolebabies are too retarded to even understand what this means and the joke it makes out of them
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.