[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some fun games that are very replayable and are designed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
What are some fun games that are very replayable and are designed around short sessions? Not necessarily "rogue-lites," though those count.
>>
Dark Souls. Saves every few seconds. Can close the game at any point and continue later exactly where you left it.
>>
>>320480115
And you also have bonfires if you want some kind of a mental checkpoint.
>>
>>320479993
if you cant really appreciate "roguelites" (which i understand), try some actual roguelikes. they make excellent break games and are fun. you also gain a huge e-penis by playing them.
>>
>>320479993
Any arena shooter.
>>
>>320479993
Spelunky fits this to a T, it's great for just jumping in, playing a round or two and jumping out, and of course randomly generated levels make it very replayable.
>>
>>320480115
>>320480314

He said fun games not memegames
>>
>>320479993
Well mostly Rogue Lites fit that category, try Rogue legacy
>>
>>320479993
Crimson Clover is good for this, half an hour modes to play through, so just pick it up once every few days and see yourself improve. I'm not really good at shmups, but I enjoyed it for a little while.
>>
>>320479993

Shoot em ups
>>
>>320479993
Risk of rain
>>
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

>15 - 30 minute sessions
>Get a little better each time
>highly replayable
>Ridiculous amount of races and classes to choose from
>Different gods that promote different styles of play
>Slow paced, can play while listening to a podcast or as a break during homework
>>
>>320483207
Just don't hold any prejudice over its graphics. It's depth does more than compensate for that.
>>
>>320483295
The graphics aren't even bad. At least it doesn't scare away noobs by being ASCII by default
>>
>>320483207
The only roguelike I've ever played much of is Dungeons of Dredmor, just because it's generally considered more casual than most other games in the genre, and I figured I'd start with something easier.

Is DCSS generally considered to be in the "top tier" of roguelikes? I mean, if I'm going to devote a lot of time to a game, I'd prefer it be one of the better games of its kind.

If I like DCSS, is there anything else I should check out?
>>
If you want a nice, forgotten roguelike-ish game, try Cave Noire for the Game Boy.
>>
>>320483976
Crawl is basically "the" roguelike right now

It's updated regularly, has a big community, has actual graphics, a real tutorial, and an assload of content.

To me, every other roguelike just feels lacking now. Although I do play a lot of Dwarf Fortress adventure mode, which is completely different
>>
Really OP, shmups. All I do is shitpost, preach and play those.

Quick fun in rapid doses that don't last much, games will last at most not even 1hr if you complete the whole game in one sitting and if you stand by the 1 credit only without continuing rule, games will last a few minutes at first only.

Go play em
>>
>>320483976
Dcss is purely combat-oriented roguelike, all you do is go down the dungeon finding stuff and killing stuff, it's also the easiest one to get into, you won't really invest that much time unless it really hooks you up, just a few guides and a few decent runs and you know most of the stuff there is to know.
There are others like adom and tome which are more, let's say, open-worlded. Also nethack, it's a dungeon-type too. I've listed all the biggest roguelikes which are still being supported. Also unreal world as my personal favorite, it's surviving done right.
>>
>>320479993
Super Hexagon
>>
Nuclear Throne
>>
File: rebel scum.png (799 KB, 1283x722) Image search: [Google]
rebel scum.png
799 KB, 1283x722
>>320479993
FTL aka Faster Than Light.

It's a rogue-like but in SPAAAACE with micro managing your ship and crew.
>>
>>320482941
a good run can go for almost an hour
>>
>>320485769
This

Risk of Rain
Bit Trip Runner
Dungeons of Dredmor
100% Orange Juice
I hated Rogue Legacy, but it fits your bill I was bad at it, attack delay fucked me
and FTL
>>
>>320488450
Oh fuck, Tallowmere was great, I picked that up when I dropped Rogue Legacy, forgot to mention
>>
>>320479993
Most Nintendo handheld titles are designed around short gameplay sessions. The ones with a good story are usually very replayable. I would look at speed running too. If you are avoiding rogue-lites you should look at stuff like Metroid Zero Mission. It's designed to be played and replayed in short intervals (handheld title) and is a speed runner's choice for games.
>>
File: Km5vw2v.gif (920 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
Km5vw2v.gif
920 KB, 256x192
>>320479993
Starsector

Its like M&B and FTL had a baby.
>>
One Way Heroics - Japan does roguelite.
>>
>>320488716
THIS A MILLION TIMES THIS
>>
House of dead ninjas (Name might be wrong whatever fuck you) is really good for a few short burst sessions
>>
Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe
>>
>>320486945
the rng on that game made it unbearable for me
Its the only game where luck is a huge factor every single time and you have such little effect on gameplay you might as well flip a coin.
Not that the first time I opened all the ship doors and sacrificed a rockguy to take down boarding mantismen by choking them out wasn't fun though. I wish there was a mode with less rng involved so you could actually plan shit.
>>
Super Dodgeball Advance on a GBA emu
that shit is fun as fuck
>>
File: Hall of fame.png (608 KB, 1271x714) Image search: [Google]
Hall of fame.png
608 KB, 1271x714
>>320489484
>less RNG

Don't pick advanced then, also it's basically like Isaac only more.
You either restart until you get a decent weapon/start with scraps or pray to RNG god.
>>
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 3 if you wait a little bit
Demon's Souls must also be one, but I wouldn't know since it's not on PC
also Bloodborne, same deal
>>
Bloons TD5 on steam is awesome
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.