[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly makes a game immersive? Have any recent games felt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled.png (48 KB, 1026x514) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
48 KB, 1026x514
What exactly makes a game immersive?

Have any recent games felt truly immersive to you?

Does it get harder for anyone else to feel immersed in a game as you get older?
>>
>What exactly makes a game immersive?
believable characters
consistent lore
things must make sense within the game worlds established scope

>Have any recent games felt truly immersive to you?
witcher 3 was pretty great at this

>Does it get harder for anyone else to feel immersed in a game as you get older?
of course.
the older you get, the more experienced you get and the more easily you notice inconsistencies, flawed logic, plot holes and the like. it's normal.
>>
Anything that is consistent can immerse you.
As long as you don't get pushed back out of your zone then you are good.

I mean, fucking Tetris can be immersive.
>>
>>320464952
Undertale
>>
>>320464952
Bathing, I think.
>Have any recent games felt truly immersive to you?
No, I don't take baths with video games.
>Does it get harder for anyone else to feel immersed in a game as you get older?
The older you get, the larger you get. So I would say yes, because you'll have a harder time playing video games in the bath because you're bigger in the same small space! Though, I suppose you could always go to a swimming pool, but not everybody has one.
>>
Depends on one's preference. For example, I tend to be immersed by the general atmosphere of a game world and any little details they may hide. Shit like running through Tallon Overworld while the raindrops fall on Samus' visor or [insert memorable moment in any given Team Silent Silent Hill game here] is the kind of thing that tends to get me going, but it could be a very different case for someone else.
>>
Uninterrupted and solid gameplay
Alternatively, if the game really wants me to experience their narrative, then a likable main character is usually what does it for me. If I care about who I'm playing as then I'll start to give a shit about what's happening around them. This can be completely broken by things like shitty characters that never get their comeuppance (like snotty annoying children in Bathesda games) or things like interactive cutscenes.
I can't remember the last game I truly got immersed in, still have hopes that a newer game can pull this off for me. Despite how shitty and flawed it is, FO4 almost had me but it was far too restricted to enjoy properly.
And yes, it'a definitely harder. I'm far more jaded now, expecting more from newer games and I hardly ever enjoy them.
>>
File: 1447913354621.jpg (430 KB, 600x802) Image search: [Google]
1447913354621.jpg
430 KB, 600x802
>the immersion in jewish culture

Is it really all a coincidence man?
>>
>>320464952
I think I consider a game to be immersive if I find myself doing things in the game that have no gameplay benefit but make sense for the character to do. Like walking through a town instead of autorunning
>>
>>320464952
Something with a really good atmosphere. I recently replayed Ico/SotC and those are some great examples. Also playing through BB currently and I play it offline for the immersion, since all the notes everywhere really take me out of it.
>>
Too many things to list, but I believe that maximizing player agency is the most important part of making your game immersive. You'd want the player to feel as engaged as possible with every element in your game while still trying to keep it fun. For example when it comes to RPGs, things like detailed maps with quest markers are detrimental to immersion because they encourage laziness and don't allow the player to think about the game's world critically. If you include realistic maps and descriptions that make the players figure their own way around, that means the players would be doing the same thing their character would be doing in that situation.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.