[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've started a petition to ask Night Dive Studios to br
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11
File: 1796152-box_turok3.png (171 KB, 320x263) Image search: [Google]
1796152-box_turok3.png
171 KB, 320x263
I've started a petition to ask Night Dive Studios to bring Turok 3 to PC. If you're a fan of the game, please consider signing.

https://www.change.org/p/night-dive-studios-please-remaster-turok-3-for-pc
>>
>NEVER, EVER
>>
File: 1448942476637.jpg (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1448942476637.jpg
32 KB, 500x500
>Petitions
>>
How does it compare to the first 2? Never played 3.
>>
>Turok 3
>>
>>320458734
>How does it compare to the first 2? Never played 3.
It's Half Life with dinosaurs and a female lead. (Plus an optional male lead. But she's the default. They get different equipment.)
>>
>>320459390
Are you saying it's good or unoriginal? Really can't tell.
>>
>>320459671
>Are you saying it's good or unoriginal? Really can't tell.
I'd say it's a good game, but it's... different. It tries to imitate Half Life while at the same time trying to go back to Turok: Dinosaur Hunter's roots. People wanting "more Turok 2" with its backtracking and roaming and big, bloody weapons were always going to be disappointed. Turok 3 suffers from some odd design decisions such as enemy corpses fading right after death, which cheapens the violence. And the weapons often feel a bit pop gunny. Even the pistol lacks the "chunk" of Turok 2's.
>>
>>320459671
3 tried to take a more traditional sci-fi horror style, It succeeded for the most part but nothing could ever top the second game.

What really killed it was it being a n64 exclusive, when it would have done better on the ps1
>>
>>320460004
>What really killed it was it being a n64 exclusive, when it would have done better on the ps1
I hate to point this out, but there is no way Turok 3 would have run on the PS1. Acclaim UK tried to get Armorines running on the PS1, and it was an utter disaster.
>>
File: Turok 3 intro.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Turok 3 intro.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>320458256
>1 supporter
Never ever.
>>
>>320460961
There are dozens of us. DOZENS!
>>
>>320460961
That whole introduction was amazing, even if the scale was all fucked up inside the tiny ass house.
>>
>>320461236
>That whole introduction was amazing, even if the scale was all fucked up inside the tiny ass house.
Turok 3 has some very odd scale issues. For example, the rats in the junkyard are basically the size of your head. I suppose so that they can explode and leave shotgun shells behind when you stab them? The character models used during cutscenes are quite a bit taller than the normal ingame ones, and I'm not really sure why.
>>
T2 is way better
>>
>>320460961
Holy shit that's incredible face animation for an N64 game.
>>
>>320460961
Pretty good for an N64 game. If that is an N64 game.
>>
File: You're too loud.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
You're too loud.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>320461483
It is. Not emulated too.
>>
>>320461483
>Pretty good for an N64 game. If that is an N64 game.
It is. Cutscenes are locked at 15fps for some reason. Either because the lipsync ran at 15fps or some other engine limitation. I think Turok 2's cutscenes might have run at 15fps, too.

Turok 3's animation has one serious weakness, and that's limb distortion. If you watch closely, character's legs and arms tend to distort when they walk and wave and that sort of thing.
>>
>>320460961
THE CHILD IS THE KEY, DANIELLE!
>>
File: Turok 3 legs.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Turok 3 legs.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>320462080
I remember finding the cheesy "...Oblivion *DUN DUN DUN*" really funny as a kid.
>>
File: 2375289035.jpg (54 KB, 399x433) Image search: [Google]
2375289035.jpg
54 KB, 399x433
>Joshua Fireseed was Turok for a grand total of 2 years and then died like a bitch
>Tal'Set remained Turok until he died of natural causes
Why is Adon wasting her time trying to resurrect Joshua?
>>
>>320462080
I've got a copy of the Turok 3 comic, which is an extremely abridged version of Turok 3's storyline. And Oblivion and "the child" it pretends to be are way creepier. I always though Oblivion's design in Turok 3 was a bit of letdown. It was like some awkward mutant thing.

The game originally had this intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U6SQi6mltE

One very interesting thing is that the cave where Oblivion is uncovered originally featured that hole/well thing you drop down to reach the boss in the junkyard. It's quite clear that Turok 3's level order and bosses were stitched together late in development. The part where you drop down a hole and suddenly end up in the Lost Land never really made much sense.

>>320462482
>Why is Adon wasting her time trying to resurrect Joshua?
Love, anon. Passionate, passionate love.

The Council of Voices are hiding something. They don't want Joshua back. That's why they replace Adon with a chick who looks just like Adon at the end of Turok 3.

The only thing that annoys me more than this cliffhanger being unresolved is the prospect of a sequel written by other people that gives some really lame reason for the Council of Voices acting the way they do.
>>
>>320462686
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U6SQi6mltE
Turok 3's beta intro featured dinosaurs. The final game's dinosaurs don't show up until the third level. For some weird reason, Turok 3 got labelled as "the one without dinosaurs". Turok 2 only had dinosaurs for the first few levels.
>>
>>320458256
make one for rage wars dont be a cùck
>>
>>320461694
>>320461782
I thought for sure that it was a PC game and that the guy above me was trolling too after I posted.
>>
>>320463001
>make one for rage wars dont be a cùck
Prove Rage Wars has better MP than Turok 3. Also, Turok 2 is confirmed, and will have MP, plus map tools. So fans will be able to recreate Rage Wars content to their heart's content.
>>
>>320462832
Turok 2's main enemies were the dinosoids, which, while not the dinosaurs we know, are at least dinosaurs to an extent. It feels more like a natural progression of the game, especially since 2 wasn't called 'Dinosaur Hunter.'
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W37eynFUi1A

>That dislike bar
>Those retarded comments

I know is Youtube, but seriously, what the fuck. Getting to run Turok in a modern PC without fucking around is already a gift.
>>
>>320463106
>Turok 2's main enemies were the dinosoids
http://turok.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Turok_2:_Seeds_of_Evil_-_Enemies

You're not entirely wrong, since the Dinosoids are the shock troops of the Primagen, but most of the enemies in Turok 2 are not Dinosoids.
>>
>>320463363
Some people have no fucking idea what a "remaster" is. Would I like Turok: DH to be all shiny and look like Crysis 3? Sure. But that would be a REMAKE, not a remaster.
>>
>>320463363
Most Gamespot viewers are braindead morons who would only be happy with a AAA console shooter remake. They also don't know what a remaster is or a source port.
>>
File: TUROK_3.png (189 KB, 640x454) Image search: [Google]
TUROK_3.png
189 KB, 640x454
Remember when Turok 3 featured a reworked version of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter's first level? That was a sort of "how far the N64 has come" moment for me. On the downside, as such things usually are, Turok 3 featured a lot of compromises to get better draw distance and such.
>>
>>320463425
Main enemy basically means the most common and consistent monsters you encounter. Every level has a theme featuring new enemies, like Purr-Lin or Mantids, but Raptoids and Endtrails are everywhere as well as being the direct military force of the main villain, the Bio-bots and whatnot being more royal guard status.
>>
>>320463737
>Turok 3 featured a lot of compromises to get better draw distance and such.
They even managed to make WATER worse in Turok 3 by removing the swimming animations, presumably to save memory. Turok 3 doesn't have climbing animations, either. Your gun will go through its single repetitive idle animation as you climb things. STOP WAVING YOUR PISTOL AROUND, DANIELLE! IT'S WORKING FINE!
>>
>>320463737
I always hated the UI in Turok 3.
>>
>>320463896
Fair enough, anon.
>>
I never played Turok 3 but I remember Video & Arcade Top 10 (a Canadian video game show) had kids my age (like 10) playing Turok 3 in a competition and I just remember the shocking violence
>>
>>320464069
>I always hated the UI in Turok 3.
It's nice and streamlined, though. Such things were all the rage in 2000. Just look at Perfect Dark's minimalistic HUD. Still, not really a fan of Turok 3's HUD in that it looks made in MS Paint. At least have some sort of border frame.
>>
>>320464081
>I never played Turok 3 but I remember Video & Arcade Top 10 (a Canadian video game show) had kids my age (like 10) playing Turok 3 in a competition and I just remember the shocking violence
Are you sure it was Turok 3? Turok: Evolution was the one with the really shocking violence. Chopping off legs with mines and that sorta thing. Turok 3 has a sorta horror vibe in places, but the actual violence is pretty subdued. It's been suggested Acclaim management got cold feet due to school shootings and such.
>>
>>320458256
vote with your wallet

if you want more turok, buy the remasters because it's our only chance at reviving this horribly mistreated IP
>>
>>320463363

I checked and I wish I hadn't. I was having such a good day and now I'll fall asleep mad as fuck. They did an amazing job with the Turok remaster. Touched up textures, lighting, models and more. It is the perfect remaster in my view, taking the original content and polishing it up.

There were so many things that could have gone wrong, but nothing did. It is Turok as I remember it, and that is what original fans wanted. Those fucking faggots in youtube want a brand new Turok game based on the original.
>>
Turok 3 was a fucking abortion though. I'm not signing this this.
>>
>>320461694

This nigga just laying in bed in full TUROK gear. Who even does that shit?
>>
>>320464761
It's amazing how these people forget that the new textures were one of the most criticised parts of the Perfect Dark HD remaster because the art design was controversial.

>>320464787
>Turok 3 was a fucking abortion though. I'm not signing this this.
How was it an abortion, anon?
>>
File: 1442923772517.jpg (110 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1442923772517.jpg
110 KB, 720x960
>>320458256
Not happening. Turok 1&2 only got remastered editions because there were existing PC ports for them to work off. 3 doesn't.
>>
>>320464948
>not being prepared for Oblivion at all times
>>
>>320464696
>vote with your wallet
>if you want more turok, buy the remasters because it's our only chance at reviving this horribly mistreated IP
That's the truth. The devs will remaster as many of these games as will make them money. If Turok 1 and 2 sell well, we're almost certain to get more. And not just more, but I've heard noises of a NEW Turok sequel, kinda like System Shock 3. But it would annoy me if the new Turok weren't a sequel to Turok 3.
>>
>>320465453
>Not happening. Turok 1&2 only got remastered editions because there were existing PC ports for them to work off. 3 doesn't.
You're forgetting that this project started out as Turok EX. The project is by the guy who ported Doom 64 to PC as Doom 64 EX. He wasn't using the PC versions. This Turok is the N64 version ported to a new engine with some PC stuff added in. They don't NEED a PC version to port the game. They just need to unpack the N64 rom and work out how everything fits together.
>>
>>320465453
Doom 64 wasn't on PC but Kaiser still did that. Since he's working for Night Dive now, and if the remasters sell well, then they'd be stupid to not try.
>>
File: spider!.png (537 KB, 634x595) Image search: [Google]
spider!.png
537 KB, 634x595
Turok 2 still has an almost-dead multiplayer. It's still fun to get on occasionally and blast other people with plasma rifles and grenade launchers
>>
>>320465453
the devs said it was possible though
>>
>>320464081

In a magazine article I read, it lumped Turok, Mortal Kombat (64) and other games as "having too realistic" violence for children's content. What's funny, is that I mentioned this topic in a COD cancer thread a while back and the general census I got in return was "COD is more realistic, than those cartoony old games". Hahah fucking faggots, what do they think people will say about COD, 15 years from now? That it was unrealistic and cartoony. Things never change, I swear to god each generation of children think their shit, is the coolest bestest shit that ever was.
>>
>>320465453
Night Dive doesn't actually have the Turok games' source code, to my knowledge. I don't think ANYONE accessable has the source code anymore. It's likely in a vault somewhere. These projects are like those remasters of God of War and SotC/ICO, where a custom-built middleware engine takes the original game's data and interprets it. Since Rage Wars and Turok 3 are built on the same engine as 1 and 2, porting them would be much simpler than porting a totally unrelated N64 game.
>>
>>320458256
Make a petition for Rage Wars while you at it.
>>
>>320465685
>TurokEX
So wait the guy behind the Doom64 sourceport is working on the Remasters? Wheres the source on this.

If that's true then Turok3 and Rage Wars have a hell of lot more likely chances of getting a Remaster as well.
>>
>>320466603
Kaiser was working on this. https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/2014/05/18/status-on-version-2-6-and-turokex-updates/

He works for Nightdive now. Not sure if he did back then. So as far as I know, this Turok remaster is his Turok EX project with a legal lick of paint.

I could of course be wrong, but it would be odd if it wasn't true.
>>
>>320466603
http://techraptor.net/content/interview-man-rebuilding-powerslave

>Kaiser: I was originally working on remaking N64 Turok (called Turok EX) but it got put off to the side. Since now Night Dive Studios has picked up the rights to re-release it, Turok EX will resume development later this year.
>>
>>320465894
they actually have the source code to 1 and 2
>>
File: 1449295484572__1_.gif (4 MB, 177x186) Image search: [Google]
1449295484572__1_.gif
4 MB, 177x186
>$30 for a near 20 year old game
>>
>>320467401
why are you shitposting?
>>
The immediate problem with a Turok 3 port is the lack of brand name recognition. People KNOW Turok. They KNOW Turok 2. But Turok: Shadow of Oblivion is a game where a vast majority of people have never played it, and pass along second hand information about it. The biggest incentive it has, though, is the fact it never got a PC release.

>>320467378
>they actually have the source code to 1 and 2
Citation?
>>
>>320467401
>>$30 for a near 20 year old game
I thought price hadn't been decided yet.
>>
>>320467553
It hasn't.
>>
>>320460961
Wow. I only ever played 1 and 2.

But that is fucking amazing for an N64 game.
>>
File: 1432956147723.jpg (73 KB, 518x466) Image search: [Google]
1432956147723.jpg
73 KB, 518x466
>>320460961
>>
>>320467469
they said it in a comment on their facebook page
>>
>>320467734
>they said it in a comment on their facebook page
I'd like to know more details. Because that would presumably mean they're no longer taking Kaiser's approach of using a new middleware engine, and are instead using the original Turok engine, which screams "unforseen problems" to me.
>>
>>320467885
you do realize night dive hired kaiser, right? turok ex is this remaster.
>>
That beta tester on Steam giving out info says:

>Q: Which version of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter is this?
>A: This game takes the best of the N64 version and the best of the PC version and meshes them into one. It is running on a brand new engine!"

So the answer is unclear. Is the game running on Kaiser's custom engine? Do they actually have the source code for Turok, or was the facebook post referring to the source code for the new engine?
>>
>>320468183
>you do realize night dive hired kaiser, right? turok ex is this remaster.
There's a slim chance they've abandoned Turok EX and are instead working using the original Turok source code. I have no clue how they'd have gotten their hands on such a thing, since Acclaim is long dead and people have gone through their backup tapes without finding Turok source code. But anyway, we shall see. People who do Facebook PR don't always know the nitty gritty technical details.
>>
>>320468285
From the Doom64EX wordpress page (although the post is about Turok):
>Yeah I know, more unrelated news, but figured I mention this anyways since it runs on the same engine that powered PowerslaveEX. Its kinda funny how much this has evolved since the first time I announced it….
>>
You mind also making one for turok rage wars? that game would be amazing with online servers.
>>
>>320468540
>You mind also making one for turok rage wars? that game would be amazing with online servers.
Maybe someone who played the game should make one. I never really played Rage Wars because MP wasn't my bag. Someone who loved Rage Wars would be better suited to extoll the game's virtues. It doesn't take long to set up a petition.

In truth, these sorts of petitions don't do much, and are unlikely to get heaps of votes, but a Rage Wars one might fetch a fair few.
>>
>>320468429
If they have the source-code I'm praying it will help the progress over TurokEx development rather than replacing it.

TurokEX is probably a lot better than working with old and defunct code, Plus TurokEx would make Rage Wars and 3 much easier to port over.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.