[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Every competitive player wants more visibility in shooters. Therefore,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: cwe-61.jpg (135 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
cwe-61.jpg
135 KB, 1024x768
Every competitive player wants more visibility in shooters. Therefore, any shooter that makes visibility deliberately worse can not be considered competitive.
>>
Okay. Fuck people who play games competitively.
>>
>>320455136
git gud
>>
>>320455136
Playing with the intention to win counts as competitive.
>>
>>320454706
what you mean by more visibility?
>>
That just makes the game harder and probably more competitive.
Every competitive player wants easy combos in fighting games. Does that mean that more competitive fighters are the ones with easier execution? No.
>>
>>320455136
Games are naturally competitive
>>
>>320455694
Yes. Is QWOP a better game because the controls are terrible? You can't increase "difficulty" along those lines because it essentially dilutes the multiplayer aspect. Instead of your actions being based on the actions of the opponent, they are more and more based on tediously overcoming the game design.

Also, if you took those things to the logical extreme, nobody would defend them. There is no perfect amount of bad design; any amount is bad.
>>
>>320456134
Baseball exists, asshole.
>>
>>320455465

not OP, but compare something like Q3A/QL with everything turned down and bright skins to something like CSGO

the visibility of the enemy and true architecture of the map is vastly superior in QL. you're looking at a closer representation of the actual game itself.
>>
>>320454706
not everyone wants to be super competitive it's good to have stuff as an option though
>>
>>320454706
You have to strike a good balance between visibility and actual looks.
>>
>>320454706
>game has walls that aren't see through
Dropped.
>>
>>320462795
That's different. It's about effective conveyance of available information, not availability of information in general. Behind a wall is can or can not see them, it's not about how well you see them.
>>
People are retarded and fags that are so pent up on having bright skins literally cannot stop sucking their own dicks in a vain attempt to inflate their ego.
>>
>>320463065
If the wall doesn't completely conceal, but only disguises, then it's up to the player to recognize what's meant to be seen. That's player skill.

On the other hand, a completely opaque wall gives the player no opportunity whatsoever to gather information about what's behind it.
>>
>>320462795
>muh visibility
>>
>>320463542
You can still tell where people are on the other side of walls when they jump in Quake because they make noise. But if they don't jump, they're moving slower and the area they can potentially be in is smaller.
>>
>>320463886
I guess that would be audio opacity or some shit, whether or not the walls conceal sound. Using sound to gather info about your surroundings isn't just vidya skill, it's survival skill. The ears are arguably more reliable than eyes.
>>
>>320464412
Isn't sound crappily implemented in most games?
>>
>>320455694
>Every competitive player wants easy combos in fighting games
Source please
>>
>>320455136
>non co-op multiplayer games are literally designed with the fact that both players will try to win in mind
>hurr fuck people for trying to win
I bet you're the kind of person who thinks that MGS5 is god tier and dota/quake are shit.
>>
>>320455694
How is the "meta bloat" of fighting games appealing? That is, fighting games have a bunch of different characters and a bunch of different ways to make a combo, so it takes a long time for people to figure out what is optimal. It seems like a cheap way to make the game seem like it has more depth.
>>
File: r_drawflat 1.gif (9 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
r_drawflat 1.gif
9 KB, 320x200
>>320454706
Fuck anyone who turns textures off to make players more visible. I used to play with r_drawflat/sw_drawflat 1 back in the day because I needed the extra framerate on my toaster. If I could have played as fast with textures I fucking would have. Doing it for the wrong reasons is inexcusable and yet this cheap shit is now standard in the 'competative' community. I've seen QuakeWorld client that force all players to single colour fullbright skins BY DEFAULT and that's just pathetic.

Modern Quake players are cowards.
>>
>>320466126
>cowards
>for not wanting to deal with mushy, muddled graphics that destroy competitive integrity
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.