[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OoT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault-2.jpg (309 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-2.jpg
309 KB, 1920x1080
What game would be the greatest of all time if the current title holder didn't reign supreme? I am of course speaking of Ocarina of Time.

This morning we had a thread and it received a pretty diverse range of nominees. The caveat was a game that encapsulates nonlinearity, indeterminate challenged dictated by said nonlinearity, excellent story, lore told exclusively through gameplay, and ambient expression of sound and/or graphics. /v/ brought up:
>Suikoden 2
>SMB3
>RE4
>MGS3
>FFVII
>Metroid Zero Mission
>Starfox 64
>Dark Souls
>Doom

Is this the definitive list of best games of contenders?
>>
Undertale is better tho
>>
*indeterminate challenge
*best games of all time contenders

Doh! That's what I get for not proofreading.
>>
>>320425993
Well Zero mission doesn't even come close to touching Super Metroid.
Zero mission doesn't even touch the NES version
>>
A Link to the Past
>>
File: 1450277599319.png (84 KB, 776x1290) Image search: [Google]
1450277599319.png
84 KB, 776x1290
>>320426827
Well the nominator brought up Super Metroid but said that its nonlinearity is all the result of glitching/exploits (as far as progressing). Whereas in Zero Mission it's intended. Shared this too.

I've played Super and it's my favorite 2D game of all time after the first two Zeldaa, and never have Zero Mission, but I gotta go with the guy who furnishes proof.
>>
>>320426827
this is a bad opinion
zero mission is the best metroid game
>>
Deus Ex provided it meets the caveats by having multiple ways to complete each mission despite them being presented in a linear order.

If so I also nominate System Shock 2
>>
Games are too diverse to have one title hold the mantle of "greatest of all time"
>>
>>320427641

You misspelled Metroid Prime.
>>
>>320427964
I can't agree, OoT is just that much better at what it does compared to anything else in any other category that I don't see why it should not be recognised as the best.
>>
>>320427964
You can say that about anything. Books, film, food, people, art...
>>
>>320426889
You're forced to pick up heart containers meaning no self imposed challenge
>>
>>320428309
Right, and those forms of media also can't have a lone "best." Some pieces can be recognized for doing things well in their medium, though at that level of critique it's more in terms of structure rather than thematic elements.

I mean sure, OoT did plenty of things right for 3D adventure games, but I'd argue SMB had a greater influence in revolutionizing platformers by introducing momentum into the equation.
>>
Not having any luck in the archive, someone link the last thread
>>
>anything but chrono trigger
>>
>>320425993
They took my Hy-yrule
And made it look like stool
I don't know why it gives you such a boner
>>
File: undertale.jpg (275 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
undertale.jpg
275 KB, 1536x1152
>>320427964
>Games are too diverse to have one title hold the mantle of "greatest of all time"

You're wrong.
>>
>>320427472
It's true that some of Super Metroids nonlinearity comes from glitches/exploits but not all. And even then it makes the game a little better that there are "unexpected" ways of getting to places.

The glitches stand out to me as well, because they don't actually feel like glitches. Doing boost run early doesn't look or feel like a glitch.
Doing mockball doesn't feel or look like a glitch.

That's what I think I find most fascinating about it. Perhaps future games can have mechanical things like that intentionally built in that aren't spelled out or even told to the player that once figured out literally break the game open. Because I do find it REALLY ironic that in Super Metroid you can literally defeat any boss in the game with some of the most basic equipment. Meaning that it's almost like they intended the player to sequence break.
>>
>>320425993
I'm actually very pleased to see that open world games aren't on this list. Just seamless or nonlinear games.

There is something artificial or really boring to me about traversing a map that never asks the player to think. Where walking in to some place can be done from literally any direction 360 degrees around it. I think that's why its so common to have or want fast travel.

The actual travel becomes monotonous and boring because you aren't having to think about how to get somewhere or where to go to get there like Dark Souls, Bloodborne or Metroid. There are no obstacles or figuring out the terrain. It's just riding a car, horse or walking to your destination. Its a matter of time, not matter of effort.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.