[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes VR any different from 3D or motion controls? i.e.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
What makes VR any different from 3D or motion controls? i.e. another pointless gimmick that will be tossed to the curb once the novelty effect wears off and the proverbial udders have been milked completely dry
>>
It's just another 6 axes of freedom.
It only frees up the right analog.
But you have to wear a helmut.
So I guess it's all about how much you want 3D waifus?
>>
That image looks a bit gay, OP.
>>
immersion fucking autist
>>
>>320398645
>tfw hairy ass
>>
Nothing. The current iteration of VR is nothing but a gimmick because it's not true VR. We've had headsets with video like that since the '70s.

But the main reason it won't catch on is that like 3D TVs, the barrier of entry is too high.

VR won't become popular until it's actually engages the user on the neuronal level.
>>
>>320398645
Feeling like you're in the middle of the action is a big selling point for a lot of people, and VR does that a lot better than 3D or motion controls which are extremely shitty ways to simulate it.

In terms of gameplay I doubt it will bring anything new, and if anything it might make it worse if fast games don't play well on it.
>>
>>320399056
~muh immersion~
>>
>>320398645
>>Haha we sure got him guys
>>
>>320399474
In other words you haven't tried current VR
The only reason it won't become mainstream right now is because it's not wireless and you need a good PC to use it.
>>
>>320398645
>tfw you will never catch your bros by their balls while they are doing this to you and assert your dominance
>>
>>320400461
>touching balls
found the fag
>>
>>320399056
They said the same thing about motion controls. "Immersion" is just a marketing buzzword.
>>
>>320400739
It's only gay if balls touch
>>
>>320398645

That guy in the middle has a pretty attractive ass and also has his shirt down for some gay reason.
>>
>>320400875

So you already ate their buzzword once and when it actually applies - you are skeptical?

Can't say I blame you - if it weren't for your initial stupidity.

These fucks will say ANYTHING to get sales and have been doing so for their bullshit for a long time.

You only need to try proper VR once to understand that "immersion" is not a buzzword but a simple description of the effect here.
>>
>>320398645
sauce?
>>
people said colour TV would be a novelty
people said stereo sound would be a novelty (hell, some said sound would be a novelty)

you don't need stereo sound or colour to enjoy a movie - hell, you don't even need sound. there's some great silent films out there

the truth is, you can only learn what's a novelty and what's not through hindsight, and anyone who tells you otherwise is telling a big fat lie
>>
>>320402386
the word you're looking for is 'presence'. at least that's what valve call it. immersion is a bit ambiguous
>>
>>320402997
I think that's just you trying to not be wrong, you pedantic fuck
>>
>>320402997

Not really, and it doesn't need to be some measurable thing.
>>
File: Fuck.png (195 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Fuck.png
195 KB, 320x240
>>320399474
> We've had headsets with video like that since the '70s.

kek, here we are on the 4th iteration of the Playstation and you're bitching that we're upgrading technology from the 70's?

>We had this stuff at the Virtual Boy, no need to go any farther :^)

full dingus
>>
>>320399474
>>But the main reason it won't catch on is that like 3D TVs, the barrier of entry is too high.

Pretty sure (while you are wrong on everything you say) that was more because 3D is worthless when constricted to a relatively small rectangle on your wall.

Its pretty meh even in an 500" cinema screen
>>
Nothing. Thats exactly what it is, a gimmick like 3d or motion controls. In ten years it will have the same relevance as 3d movies do now, a pointless and even more expensive way to experience something, but one that most people forego because its pointless.
>>
>>320398645
Why wouldn't you want to be in these amazing game worlds?

It's nothing like motion controls or 3D.
>>
>>320403790

what was even the point of that ugly thing
>>
>>320403906
>the same relevance as 3d movies do now,

Sooo there in every theater?
>>
The major thing about it, and the one I don't see advertised enough, is the sense of scale it gives you.
As a side effect, it also gives a sense of speed.
When you're flying near a space station in E:D on a flat screen, it's just a 3d model that may be huge or not, your brain isn't very sure. Put on the VR set and yeah, it's freaking huge. Also that speed number makes much more sense as meters per second.
>>
File: Hololens.png (3 MB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
Hololens.png
3 MB, 2880x1800
I honestly don't get the hate for Hololens and Augmented Reality.

I think that would have the best chance of having an actual gaming usage.

>screen has changing transparency for ultimate atmosphere
>horror games taking place in your own house
>the pokemon GO game we actually want
>>
>>320400875
except motion controles were unaccuarate shitty controls and VR is just a better, more accuarate and more realistic way of making you see inside a game. You still are as accurate as before, except you see better as if from inside the game.
>>
File: let er rip.jpg (306 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
let er rip.jpg
306 KB, 600x900
>>320400875
that's because up until now they were mostly a load of bollocks, now we'll have steam VR/htcvive , with the head and hands tracking, it looks quite a bit better than the other few, because without head tracking it would make you nauseous after a while

example of how good the motion control is, nigga can flip around bottles in his hands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai4MCmZz28o
>>
>>320404453

Because VR is at its first baby steps.

Digitizing the outside world is at its 1-cell organism steps.

AR will suck dick until you have ALL the visual data including depth properly, 1:1 digitized, instantly.
>>
>>320404793
Which is why it's awesome that it's being worked on by Microsoft instead of Facebook. We have that technology with the automated car stuff, do we not?

I can't imagine it would be that hard to have a camera on there that maps out whatever room it's in
>>
>>320404793

Hell its even in the goddamn name of it, you want to augment reality?
Then you better understand it accurately first hololens.
>>
>>320405067
Yea the blue screen of death in full 3d everytime you shut it off with the power button. These are also the people that needed segas help in designing the Xbox controller.
>>
>>320405103
>a technology that superimposes a computer-generated image on a user's view of the real world, thus providing a composite view.

How is Hololens not augmented reality?
>>
>>320405067

>microsoft

Ohh yeah that company that is living off of its PC monopoly they established 30 years ago, while constantly pulling failure after failure in trying anything new.

You need a camera on there that accurately maps out whatever you LOOK at, updated atleast 100-120 times each second.
And has to - again super accurately - deal with your fucking hands going into it and blocking vision, or basically anyone moving in it, or changing in it.

I'm not saying you won't have some gimmicky horror shit in it that could be fun for like 30 minutes before getting old.
Just nothing impressive or useful.
>>
>>320402798
fuck off faggot
>>
>>320405443

How did you read that statement into mine?
>>
>>320399049

White people are just gay like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uvg-ug9CvE
>>
>>320400897
Yep, that's the joke
>>
File: 1443848426527.jpg (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1443848426527.jpg
32 KB, 500x500
>>320405454
>Just nothing impressive or useful.

Just because a turbo autist thinks he's punched holes in MS's new large project doesn't mean it's not going to be impressive or useful

>You need a camera on there that accurately maps out whatever you LOOK at, updated atleast 100-120 times each second.

Why do you assume that's how they have to handle that? Are you not capable of thinking outside of your own minuscule brainspace and realizing that a huge tech company might have some solutions to these problems, or that they might have, I dunno, thought about it while spending millions developing it?

>TV's are a cool idea but they'd have to update all those pixels too many times per second
>>
>>320405557
>We have cars that are able to drive themselves now but mapping a room made of mostly hard edges will be too hard
>>
>>320405638
truuuu
>>
>>320405748

Dunno man, the same way you assume I'm talking out of my ass, instead of the fact that this anon could be into this and has been following their shittastic progress.

You do realize they have started ,and are still basing the design on the Kinect, right?

I'm not assuming, I KNOW.

You thinking that "urr this company is so rich they can probably just pull unheard-of technologies out of their rich-company-goodie-bag" is fucking childish.
They aren't the first company to do this.
They aren't even the only company to research it right now.

>>320405841

If you know anything about how that works, you realize that accomodating a big block following a map and detecting several ton objects around itself - is quite a minimal task compared to trying to digitize a world around a PERSON and matching it all to his eyesight and vision.

The amount of information needed to reproduce your eyesight is staggeringly more than what a car needs to follow a line and not hit anything that cuts into the path.
>>
>>320405638
lmfao baka desu senpai
>>
>>320406275
tldr
>>
File: 1448350609423.jpg (30 KB, 720x438) Image search: [Google]
1448350609423.jpg
30 KB, 720x438
>>320405638
>>
>>320404453
I think much of the hate for hololens comes from the way they market it, using footage like the pic you posted. Because that conveniently glosses over its small FOV.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.