[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this the last truly good generation of gaming for consoles?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: gen6.jpg (124 KB, 800x511) Image search: [Google]
gen6.jpg
124 KB, 800x511
Was this the last truly good generation of gaming for consoles? Will console gaming ever be this good again?
>>
>>320385381
Gamecube was gud
>>
>>320385381
GBA was gud
>>
Xbox was good
>>
>>320385381
PS2/GC era was truly the peak of gaming. It wasn't just a few AAA titles per year, it was a ton and more. There was so many games that you could literally walk in to your local game store and find a hidden gem that you've never even heard of before.

Do that today and the games are just what you have come to expect. Nothing new as the industry no longer takes risks.
>>
>>320385381

SEGA kept the console market fresh and innovative. They did things that no other console developer was doing, and suffered for the innovation. Not everything that they threw at the wall stuck.

When SEGA left the console market, there was no need to innovate anymore. Everyone can be set in their ways. The biggest "innovation" since they left was wagglan, and even that had an earlier incarnation on a SEGA console.

SEGA leaving ruined the industry. And no, I'm not delusional enough to think that a dreamcast 2 will come out. I just know how to honor a worthwhile legacy.
>>
I think that was the last generation where gaming still had its "innocence", so to speak. It was the period where gaming had become mainstream, but before the industry started trying to be Hollywood and expected megaprofits from every game. The way things are now, most games are either huge blockbusters or tiny indie releases; the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era had more games that were somewhere in between.
>>
>>320386205
I disagree about it being the peak (I'd give that to either the SNES era or the PS1/N64 era), and I think what you said about being able to walk into a local store and find a hidden gem was true for every gen prior to gen 7.

>>320386206
Sega, while innovative, didn't have game anywhere near the level of quality Nintendo did, who were also innovative. I grew up with a Genesis and I do like Sega, but their software was never anywhere close to Nintendo or Sony's.

I think it has less to do with Sega leaving and more to do with Microsoft entering.
>>
>>320386043
Phantom Dust
Mechassault
JSRF
Crimson Skies
Voodoo Vince

so cash
>>
>>320385381
No, it was just the last time you were a child.
>>
>will console gaming ever be as good as gamecube, gba, and ps2

No. Never. That will never happen.
>>
>>320386735
I don't think the death of big budget turn-based RPGs, 3D platformers, and modest budget games has anything to do with my age.
>>
>>320386043
seconded, I miss the Duke
>>
>>320386896
That might be his point. The industry is shifting towards what the kids of today enjoy and they enjoy shitty third/first person shooters and action games.

RPG's died out unfortunately (expect a few cases), unless you love JRPG weeb shit.
>>
>>320385381
PS1>SNES>PS2
>>
>>320386896
That stuff is still getting made. Persona 5 will be out later this year. There will inevitably be another 3D Mario game. Yeah, maybe there are less turn-based RPGs and 3D platformers, but you should remember that most of them were bad. The amount of **good** 3D platformers and turn-based RPGs hasn't decreased that much. These things go in cycles, too. They'll make a comeback.

As for the low-budget, non-AAA retail games, yeah those have gone away. But they're making a return in the form of high-budget indie games. Instead of small big games, we're getting big small games to fill the void.
>>
>>320387065
Back then there wasn't even a distinction between WRPG and JRPG, JRPGs were just called RPGs and everyone fucking loved them. Around the time of Mass Effect/FFXIII western journos made a concentrated effort to slander JRPGs as much as possible, no one gave a fuck about where they came from before then. JRPGs have always been better than WRPGs and WRPGs didn't even start making a large appearance on consoles until the DirectX Box made porting Morrowind and Baldur's Gate to their watered down PC so easy, forever ruining the console market by bringing retarded PC gamers and their shiitty games with them.
>>
>>320385381
I'm pretty happy right now

2016 is the year of the JRPG
>>
>>320387292
>Back then there wasn't even a distinction between WRPG and JRPG, JRPGs were just called RPGs and everyone fucking loved them
You're out of your fucking mind.

Actually, you aren't. You were just a child without a fully-developed brain, so you remember a lot of shit incorrectly.
>>
>>320387551
There was a distinction between PC RPGs and console RPGs, but nearly every console RPG was a JRPG and there was never any need for the "J" distinction. Look up articles from back then, instances of the term "JRPG" were extremely infrequent.
>>
>>320386735
Then why are games from that era that I never got around to playing significantly better than new releases?
>>
>>320387735
Probably because you're only going back to play games people still talk about, so you're just seeing the best of the best.
>>
>>320387847
Except I'm playing games that people are talking about now for current gen and they suck balls.
>>
It was the last generation that had dedicated machines for games. The Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3 brought in superfluous addons like dvd players which really divided the market. Why buy a PS3 for little timmy? I thought he wanted a gaming machine.

So the market became more diffused with things that werent related to games, and non gamers bought them, so then developers started making games for non gamers.
>>
>>320388041
People are talking about current gen releases now because they are current. Wait 10 years and see what games from this generation people are still talking about. They'll probably all be amazing.
>>
>>320388391
Xbox and PS2 both played DVDs. The 360 was the first one to offer things like Netflix. PS3 wasn't designed with stuff like that in mind, when it launched it didn't even have trophies, and its pathetic amount of RAM shows that it wasn't made for multitasking.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.