[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does the global success of the PS4 surprise you? Last generation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 20
Does the global success of the PS4 surprise you? Last generation the world seemed a lot more divided.
>>
>>320380051
where's Wii U
>>
>>320380051
>allegiance
The actual fuck is this shit? Are normies literally back to middle age?
>>
Where's the both option?
>>
>>320380142
in the trash
sorry
>>
>>320380051
because the only people who own an xbone begged mommy and daddy for it so they can play halo
>>
I am surprised
Last gen Playstation was a dying brand, Xbox was a household name
Ads for games had people holding 360 controllers
Then Kinect happened and normies ate it up faster than the Wii
Then in one fell swoop PS is back on top, and by a huge margin

What have you done mattrick?
>>
>>320380240
>them tits
Source?
>>
Microsoft seems like they're dragging their feet really badly, the last time I heard about exclusives for xbox one was when it came out
>>
>>320381552
First impressions are really important, and the bone had a higher initial price point too.
>>
>poortugal
>>
>>320381996
This. Did people forget the always online, has to have connect, and not owning the disk you bought? Granted PlayStation also teased the idea but they weren't fucking idiots through it out around in the open as if it was the greatest thing ever.
Let's not forget the comment from xbone, of you want offline get a 360. That burned any intelligent person or there.
>>
So, when are we nuking Portugal?
>>
>>320381552
>Xbox was a household name
Only if you live in USA.
>>
>>320380051
#us gamers, right?
>>
>>320380051
I work retail and I can tell you it's much easier to sell a $300 PlayStation that comes with 3 uncharted games, the last of us, or 5 Star Wars games than it is to sell a $350 Xbox that comes with fucking gears of war.
>>
>>320380051
Why are you photoshopping Portugal? This place has been Sonyland since the 90s.
>>
>>320382494
Shut up Poortugal
Prepare for decontamination
>>
File: 1448457705873.jpg (29 KB, 673x400) Image search: [Google]
1448457705873.jpg
29 KB, 673x400
Doesn't surprise me.

>Xbox and PS4

Microsoft was pretentious as hell with their Xbox One presentations. They literally tried to sell us a console with forced camera and Microsoft tier spying and no reselling of old games and always online. They were going to do it too if it wasn't for Sony's brilliant campaigns about trading video games and the pricing being low this time around.

Sony showed that they can learn from their mistakes while Microsoft showed an almost discontent for its' consumers by stating in various times that "gamers aren't ready for our innovative designs of <insert horrible fucking idea>". Sony just wanted to sell a console for gaming and extra, while Microsoft wanted to sell us spyware, TV and gimmicks with a side dish of gaming.

>Nintendo

Nintendo is its' own bag of barf. The Wii sold well and so did the DS. Those are old machines. Wii had very little power and Nintendo showed gamers all around the world two things: graphics don't always matter, but also that Nintendo is inept of actually pushing the envelope of graphics and would rather hold technology back to cut expenses. They are being cheap with hardware power so they can sell us a gimmick. Wii had motion controls that were for the most part pretty terrible and "kind of worked" but didn't offer anything new or fantastic for the gamers, the people who have been with them since the 80's and 90's.

Nintendo is solid proof of a company that innovates in all the wrong areas. The success of the Wii was because it appealed to a whole new market that it discovered: the casual normal people. Wii was bought by people who wanted to just do yoga with a Apple tier product. The white design of the Wii was no mistake, Nintendo was riding on the success of Apple with the sleek white design on purpose.

(part 1 of 2) I know who the fuck actually makes posts on /v/ that aren't pure shitposting
>>
File: 1401484836420.jpg (47 KB, 345x383) Image search: [Google]
1401484836420.jpg
47 KB, 345x383
>XBORTUGAL
>>
File: 1449463133166.png (154 KB, 1024x802) Image search: [Google]
1449463133166.png
154 KB, 1024x802
>>320382596
(part 2 of 2)

>Nintendo 2

This of course alienated all the core fans. Nintendo didn't really care. They wanted to win the fans back so they released new iterations of their games with a "casual" setting in an attempt to try and appeal to both the core fans and the newly acquired casual audience.

Reception was lukewarm but the damage had already been done. Gamers lost respect for Nintendo and weren't interested in the gimmicks of the Wii. The eShop of Nintendo was littered with shit tier shoverlware and Nintendo was pretending it was the new Apple.

Today we have the WiiU and it was horribly received. It came out with very few games and none planned in the horizon any time soon. Nintendo again didn't care as it banked on its' casual audience to pick up their newly made fresh Apple inspired tablet controller.

But they didn't. Nintendo has now learned that the casual market is fleeting. They only go for the fast made shiny new electronics that offer hardware upgrades every year. Nintendo couldn't keep up with that and now they had tons of consoles unsold and no one in the casual market even knew what a Wii U was.

Gamers didn't care. There's hardly anything worthwhile on the machine. Very few exclusives apart from your typical shovelware tier Nintendo branded games and rehashes. No one really aches for ANOTHER Mario game.

Then there's region locking. Nintendo's WiiU is the worst offender in the history of Nintendo with the most terrible restrictions ever made. The controller and the console lock the user forever. You lose your entire catalog of virtual games if you want to simply change your account's name.

You cannot import games from Japan and play them at all. You cannot do this with the 3DS or N3DS or WiiU. This is not a big market by any way, but it shows that Nintendo is pretty much stuck in the past and not ever willing to innovate at all unless it's a new shiny gimmick controller.
>>
File: 1448459502326.jpg (4 MB, 2458x8486) Image search: [Google]
1448459502326.jpg
4 MB, 2458x8486
>>320382596
>>320383112

tl;dr

>Xbox

Xbox promised literal cancer to gamers. Everyone was pissed. Only under pressure they went back. Too late. Trust was lost.

>Nintendo

Unwilling to listen to its' fans. Wants to keep the industry back to cut expenses. No games at launch or years later. Alienated it's core.

>Sony

We want to sell you games. Here's games. Our prices are good now. We wan't to just sell games with all the features Xbox would have. Trust contained. Console bought. Games available. Generation won.
>>
>>320383112
Nintendo doesn't have an impactful or meaningful core fan base because their target market doesn't work or spend money. This is the risk associated with marketing things towards kids, especially when the product you're producing is expensive as fuck to develop
>>
>>320383112
>Gamers didn't care. There's hardly anything worthwhile on the machine.
just like all the consoles
not that i disagree with the rest
>>
>Does the global success of the PS4 surprise you?
No. Their marketing was top notch. They secured the biggest console franchise with their 'Play it here first' bullshit, pandered to old and new fans with FF VII remastered / shenmue 3 / last guardian E3, constantly keep their price under the xbone and use PC as a source of income by co developing games that have great western appeal while holding most japanese games for themself, forcing the niche audience to buy their product. It's pretty easy to see through it all.
>>
>>320383463
True.

I honestly believe that if PC gaming died it would automatically improve gaming 100 fold.

a) No more driwn to service both sides.

This watering down is what has killed this gen.
>>
I prefer Xbox
T. Alberto Barbosa
>>
>>320383463
>food analogy
>>
File: 6381273774.jpg (65 KB, 452x604) Image search: [Google]
6381273774.jpg
65 KB, 452x604
>>320383463
>sonyfags are also applefags

Color me surprised.
>>
File: chameleon stanza.jpg (2 MB, 2396x3116) Image search: [Google]
chameleon stanza.jpg
2 MB, 2396x3116
>>320383463
Pretty terrible way of seeing the most open and free platform on the market.

PC is premium. You pay for freedom. It's by far the most powerful and efficient machines on the market with the biggest catalog of games too.

PC is backwards compatible. You can plug 100's of different controllers to it. You can emulate 10's of other consoles entirely with their 1000's of games.

You can browse the internet at super sonic speeds with the precision of a mouse. You can type fast and the skills acquired by using a computer for a long time are pretty much mandatory in the future for any kind of employment.

No company would hire a retard who only knows how to use a PS4 or a tablet. Using a PC opens up vast things for limitless possibilities. Heck you can make your own games, engines and code on a PC.

Consoles can't do any of that. Consoles are a baby market. If all the

>PCs sold worldwide since the dawn of consoles

were put together, it would be abysmally far greater of a number as there are probably billions of PCs sold.

PC will never die. Never.

Consoles have an average lifespan of 8 years before they die.
>>
>thread with actual discussion about video games
>pruned already for deletion

meanwhile
>obvious flamewar threads with shitposting gaining more and more posts and popularity

/v/
>>
>>320380051
That's what you get for focussing on 'murica, tv and shit. ON top of that they thought they could jew away and announce shit like you can't play reused games.

Serves them right.
>>
>>320383323
>Sony
Here's the console, you will get the games somewhere late 2017 if you are lucky. And that will be only the first episode too. Also Kojima will make a game for us somewhere in the next ten years or so.
>>
>>320382596
You are obviously retarded. Next time look up the definitions of some of those big words you've used.
After all, every day's a school day.
>>
>>320384862

Whereas Microsoft has yet to even promise me something I might be interested in. At least Sony has put out a single game I'd want to play by now.

Not that I've bought either. My backlog's too ridiculous as is for me to justify buying a console just for Disgaea.
>>
>>320384862
Those are all planned for next year.

2017 will have Final Fantasy 7R and most likely Last Guardian. Quote this post if you want.

However 2016 will have the newer Final Fantasy which isn't exclusives but a game available for consoles, except WiiU of course. I'm pretty picky with my games but PS4 by no means lacks new game releases for 2016.
>>
No because Sony didn't shoot themselves it the foot this time. Playstation is the default console and always has been.
>>
File: second life furry badass.jpg (630 KB, 1750x1241) Image search: [Google]
second life furry badass.jpg
630 KB, 1750x1241
>>320385023
You tell him Nintenbro. You sure showed him wrong.
>>
>>320385264

The PS3 was behind the 360 by twenty million units in the states. The fact that the PS4 now leads the XBONE by one million units is actually pretty significant. They lost a lot of ground on their home turf, and the rest of the world gives less of a shit about them.
>>
>>320385424
>only in the states
>only the states matter

so it's true that Americans can be whole fully ignorant by choice

ok, here's a number for you. PS4 is the best selling console in the world right now and the highest buyer is EU. Germany. A small country.

Should tell you something. Americans are like loyal retards who buy anything if it's said to contribute to them being patriotic, even if it means buying a bag full of shit.
>>
>>320385632

Are you disagreeing with something I said or did you just want to rant about Americans?
>>
>>320380051
>Portugal
>7 > 5
>green

>US
>22 > 21
>blue
>>
File: 1449247990859.jpg (81 KB, 491x450) Image search: [Google]
1449247990859.jpg
81 KB, 491x450
>Pledging allegiance to a corporation
>for free
>>
>>320385853
22% of 15% will always be smaller than 21% of 85%.

Basic math.
>>
>>320386075

But 7% of 15% is greater than 5% of 85%?
>>
>>320385803
It's funny how you just literally ignored my point (ignorant) and tried to strawman, especially since you're the one who brought up American sales and I explained why they are so favoured for Xbox.
>>
>>320386210
Those 5% are Japan, not Portugal.
>>
>>320386227

What the fuck are you talking about?

The XBOX has lost ground in America. They are not favored in America. They are less favored in the rest of the world.

The fuck is your point? That you agree with me but want to bitch about Americans?
>>
>>320386398
>The XBOX has lost ground in America
Not him, but compared to last generation you're right.

But in this current generation, Xbox has gained ground in America this year compared to last year.
>>
>>320380051
Literally every graph I see like this Portugal ALWAYS sticks out like a sore thumb, doesn't matter the topic

Why is my country so contrarian
>>
>>320386595

Still a million sales behind the PS4 in the States. That's a huge underperformance compared against their predecessors.
>>
>>320386631
Because our country has become a meme.
Never thought I'd miss the times where people didn't even know which continent our country was in.
>>
>>320386595
I'm hedging my bets that was because of Halo 5. Sales skyrocketed for Xbone when it launched but now they're slowing down again and PS4 is leading.

Let's see how next year goes.
>>
File: 1419211180245.png (10 KB, 514x514) Image search: [Google]
1419211180245.png
10 KB, 514x514
>>320386398

Can someone explain to me this.

Xbox lost for the 3rd time in a row. When will Microsoft wake up and say "guys I think we should focus on the pc instead"? Why continue losing money? Obviously you're not selling at Japan so your only base is in the US but if you're still losing in there by a wide margin, and for the 3rd time, why go on? why?
>>
>>320386764
>Still a million sales behind the PS4 in the States.
They definitely are. But I saw some graph the other day about how the PS4 sales remained the same year over year while the Xbox sales had increased significantly year over year.

It's sort of a sight that Sony doesn't want price war with Microsoft, they're content with letting Microsoft have some of the share.
If Sony wanted to kill Misrosoft sales, they could have priced the PS4 far more aggressively.
>>
Any protugalfag to explain?
>>
File: golden shine.jpg (39 KB, 680x365) Image search: [Google]
golden shine.jpg
39 KB, 680x365
>>320380051
>Portugal
can't wait to t. Alberto Barbosa this all over /int/ and /pol/
>>
>>320387163
I don't understand the Alberto Barbosa meme
>>
>>320387225
>>>/int/52169271
>>
>>320387051
ye
our country is a backwater cesspit
>>
>>320387051
Yeah. The Xbone sells like absolute shit. No one gives a shit about it. Portugal has been dominated by Sony since Playstation started existing. In the last big gaming convention we had, Sony had a huge booth, Nintendo had a nice but smaller space and Microsoft skipped it completely.

So OP's map is either photoshopped like most of /int/'s or not really representative of the console's popularity.
>>
>>320380051
Lol Portugal
>>
>>320387225
some ausfag forced this meme by replying to every butthurt portugese poster t.Alberto Barbosa and it kinda caught on

as to why Portugal at all, basically the reason was this >>320386631

/int/ often has/had map dump threads and no matter the topic (literacy rates, water quality, wealth etc.) portugal is pretty much always the outlier in the western world (in a negative sense of the word)
>>
>>320387657
thank you meme explainer
>>
>>320383112
>There's hardly anything worthwhile on the machine
More exclusives than Xbox and Sony combined.
But, you know, Mario "rehashes" don't count and the console doesn't have the latest cawadoody and souls game!
>>
>>320386979
You got it backwards.

YoY Xbox One has barely moved while PS4 has widened the lead in the States even more. For the rest of the world, the PS4 is essentially the only current gen console.
>>
>>320380051
Not really. Europe was always full Sony, the only people that preferred Xbox were dudebros that only got it because it was the CoD machine. Now that Sony is going full dudebro like Xbox did last gen, so it's not too big of a surprise that it's successful, since they have both the normie and weeb crowds.
Even if it doesn't have any games.
>>
>>320380051
>Portugal is Xbot central
t. Alberto Barbosa, balança a minha cabeça para ser honesto senpaiília
>>
not really. Xbone shot itself in the foot with its reveal and their attitudes about certain things. That and they didn't launch in most areas until way later than PS4 if I recall.

What surprises me is how bad the Wii U is doing. They absolutely killed it last gen and while I never thought they'd pull that money again (casuals aren't coming back to consoles like that) I figured they'd at least, you know, actually be in the running.
>>
>>320387874
>YoY Xbox One has barely moved while PS4 has widened the lead in the States even more.
This can't be right.

Xbox One is inching in on the PS4 just slightly in USA.
The ratio between then is something like 30million vs half, (right?)
In the states it's slightly more than that.
>>
Not particularly. Nintendo set themselves up to be a different market (or at least an attempt at one) with the Wii U which meant that the "main" market (so to speak) was going to be solely the PS4 and Xbox One. The moment Sony locked down the initially cheaper price point and better hardware, they essentially took the core of the modern console market - the mainstream CoD/BF/Ass Creed so on players because they'll just go for whatever is cheaper and has better word of mouth. Them taking the lead after that was inevitable. And the rest is momentum and developer support.

>>320386959
Not being first in a market doesn't equate to losing money or to the work in that market having no worth to the company.

Prior to the Wii the last time Nintendo "came first" in the home console market was the SNES. But you wouldn't use this same logic on them, surely?
>>
File: 1450035499024.png (53 KB, 227x223) Image search: [Google]
1450035499024.png
53 KB, 227x223
No idea but as a ps3 owner I'd rather have an xbone than ps4... at the moment anyway

In fact if microsoft delivers better backwards compatibility via emulator or whatever I might just pick one up, otherwise I'll get a cheap used 360 with mods n shit
>>
>>320387719
who the fuck is alberto barbosa
>>
>>320381552
>Xbox was a household name

this is a joke right? 360's last years were atrocius.
>>
>>320389243
some /int/ meme, portugal is the hottest country to bully because there's not many of them there to fight back but just enough
>>
>>320380051
PS4 has between 70% and 90% market share in every European country.

Let that sink in.
>>
>>320388326
Global:

PS4 ~35m
Xbone ~15m

USA
PS4 ~13m
Xbone ~11m
>>
File: jesus christ.jpg (55 KB, 887x1097) Image search: [Google]
jesus christ.jpg
55 KB, 887x1097
>>320389389
>mfw /int/ catalog yesterday
wish i took a screencap
>>
>>320380051
Not really. Is there any chart about the last gen though --at its end?
>>
>>320389669
what happened?
>>
>>320389646
>>USA
>PS4 ~13m
>Xbone ~11m
So it's really damn close. Much closer than I thought.
>>
>>320380051
>>320380240
>>320383463
It was divided, but due to competitors leaving their customers hanging for years at a time, most people wanted a console that will still be supported in ten (five) years.
>>
>>320389748
Yes, it's close.

But PS4's lead has been steadily rising since launch, and the rate that the PS4's lead increases is also increasing.

They were within 1m of each other this time last year.
>>
>>320389724
90% of the threads were about Alberto Barbosa.

Mods did a crackdown, but there is still a dedicated Alberto Barbosa general where the shitposting has long passed the critical mass.

if you're not afraid of losing your sanity
>>/int/52169271
>>
>>320390029
>They were within 1m of each other this time last year.
That's hard to believe.

Xbox had a lot more trouble in the beginning than that.
>>
>>320390035
>>>/int/52169271
my bad
>>
>>320380142
the what ?
>>
>>320390129
Here, consider this.

Last generation, the 360 outsold the PS3 by 3:1 in the US, and the PS3 outsold the 360 5:1 in EU.

This gen, the US is 1.1:1 PS4, and the EU is 10-20:1 PS4.
>>
>>320390035
I don't participate myself but I think its fairly amusing

/int/ is probably the funniest board around here
>>
>>320390281
>Last generation, the 360 outsold the PS3 by 3:1 in the US, and the PS3 outsold the 360 5:1 in EU.
>This gen, the US is 1.1:1 PS4, and the EU is 10-20:1 PS4.

All of this is incorrect
>>
>>320390281
No, I'm referring to PS4 having a much larger lead initially in USA, over Xbox One.

That lead has since shrunk.
>>
File: november-2015-sales-5-2.png (233 KB, 640x517) Image search: [Google]
november-2015-sales-5-2.png
233 KB, 640x517
>>320390417
>PS4 having a much larger lead initially in USA, over Xbox One.
>That lead has since shrunk.

Nope.
>>
>>320390317
it used to be a pretty fun board but nowadays it's just /s4s/ with flags
>>
>>320390572
you can still find fun shit honestly
>>
File: the absolute madman.png (1 MB, 832x1046) Image search: [Google]
the absolute madman.png
1 MB, 832x1046
>>320387225
Alberto Barbosa is an asshurt Spandiard who takes every opportunity to shit on Portugal because he is jealous of their sucess.
The t. comes from a shorting of the Finnish word för regards.
>>
>>320391732
>Portugese """""success"""""
t. Alberto Barbosa
>>
Sony just had the best marketing, plain and simple.
>>
>>320386959
>guys I think we should focus on the pc instead"?

Never, the people who buy an xbox will never buy a pc, okay that's not universally true, a small number will. But the overwhelming majority will just go to sony instead. Microsoft want to own that slice of the market because being the entertainment hub of the household is a big deal.
>>
>>320389748
That's like a 20% gap (18.8). That's not small.
>>
>>320383323
Didn t they cancel dragon quest for NA and EU?
>>
>>320384862
>>320383323
>paid online
>>
Portuguese here, literally every single person I know has a Sony console.

In my whole life I have only seen an Xbox console twice, as in, once in a gaming convention thing with call of duty black ops 2 and the other time in a store for people to play.
Literally no one has an Xbox in this country, unless niggers from Lisbon or other shit-tier gypsy-filled shithole.
>>
>>320396685
Ok shitskin
>>
I went to Portugal once, took a bus from Paris to Lisbon with a bunch of poor Portuguese people and one of them told me the Portuguese were the worst people on Earth, he was literally saying that about his own people. This just confirms it.

They were my favorite civilization in AoE3 though.
>>
>>320384582
>pcfags still exist.
Dude. Literally. No. One. Cares.
Go back to reddit
>>
>>320386959

Why the fuck would anyone want MS focusing on PC? PC as a platform has done very well without any of their meddling.
>>
>>320387317
At least it's not Sweden.
>>
>>320383323
Sony still got in "the pay a subscription to host p2p games" scam and everyone ate it up because microshit has been doing it for years.
I guess one finger up the ass is better than a whole fist shoved all the way to the elbow.
But I'd rather have nothing shoved up my ass.
>>
THE SUN NEVER SETS

ON THE SONY EMPIRE
>>
>>320380051
I never understood this console war bullshit, even when I was a kid.

It's funny because I mostly hear grown men talking shit about the systems they don't own now.

JUST FUCKING PLAY VIDEO GAMES THEY'RE COOL WHO CARES
>>
>>320380051
No, not whwn its competition shot itself in the foot before the race even started.
>>
>>320380142
>Wii U
More like Pii U.

>>320380051
>PS4
Oh give me more

>>320381884
>xbox one
Xbox Done
>>
No, when Microsoft tried to pull that 1984 crap with the Xbone, I knew they were done for.
>>
Normies are the only people who would actually tweet #Alliegance to a certain console

Hence, these results.
>>
That's what happens when your E3 conference literally pisses off EVERYONE.
>>
Because Sony recognizes the power of updogg.
>>
File: 1441698238317.jpg (20 KB, 200x176) Image search: [Google]
1441698238317.jpg
20 KB, 200x176
>>320382820
>>
>>320380051
It does seem surprising to me. Why would anyone use a PS4 over a PC? The PS4 doesn't even have any good exclusives and the console itself is shit.
>>
File: monkey shit.png (47 KB, 986x860) Image search: [Google]
monkey shit.png
47 KB, 986x860
>>320382820
sounds like
Abortogal
>>
>>320380142
isn't that a Wii accessory? that's not a console.
>>
>>320380051
>twitter poll

Wow you're really reaching now.
>>
File: amazon mexico3.png (279 KB, 686x539) Image search: [Google]
amazon mexico3.png
279 KB, 686x539
Mexicans seeems to like the ps4
>>
>>320380051
>identity politics
Yo what the fuck
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.