[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steam Refunds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 12
File: buttheywereallshit.jpg (40 KB, 525x160) Image search: [Google]
buttheywereallshit.jpg
40 KB, 525x160
>I've been refunding a lot of games because I thought they'd be good but they were shit.
>Steam sends me this passive agressive note reminding me to check out user reviews.
I like that I can try new games without worrying that I might waste my money on something I don't like. Does anybody know if at some point steam decides that you've had enough refunds and stops giving them?
>>
>>320337746
>Does anybody know if at some point steam decides that you've had enough refunds and stops giving them?

Can't tell with with 100% certainty, but I've heard they they stop giving out refunds to certain people if they think they're abusing the system.

(Like buying a game, playing in offline mode to completion while only having around 0.3 hours online and then refunding it)

Something like that
>>
Hell yes. They sent me an email saying there was a certain number of refunds allowed within a time period (they didnt say how many) and if you go over them then they suspend your refund privileges indefinitely.

They said they wont count a refund you request where the game goes on sale a day later even cheaper and you refund that and buy it back.

I spoke to customer service and said if they dont want me to request refunds like that, then quit it with the sale within a sale bullshit.

Bottom line? Theyre just as Jewy as they were before refunds.
>>
>>320337746
So far they are calling you a retard for not checking youtube or streams. Another issue is if you're cheating with offline mode and tainting the register files to show no played time, which could get your account banned.
>>
>>320339015
... but they did stop with the sale within a sale bullshit.
>>
>I like that I can try new games without worrying that I might waste my money on something I don't like.

this is not what the system is for you fucking retard.

why is this board always plagued with welfare-riding manchildren? jesus christ I'm ashamed we share the same hobby.
>>
>>320339596
>can refund for ANY REASON
>literally an option to refund because the game is "Not fun"

fuck off retard
>>
>>320340235
no, YOU fuck off you fucking mongoloid cunt.
>>
>>320339596
Nobody said anything about welfare anon. What aren't you telling us?
>>
>>320339596

I wonder why gamers like corporate dick so much. No other consumer base in the world is this bad.
>>
>>320337746
Fuck them. Some games get good reviews but run like shit. See Sacred Gold.
>>
File: 1444378944423.jpg (85 KB, 446x599) Image search: [Google]
1444378944423.jpg
85 KB, 446x599
>can't abuse the system to turn every purchase into a demo
>cry when getting called out
Millennials.
>>
>>320341092

>can't abuse the system to turn every purchase into a demo

I actually see no problem with this, especially since demos aren't what they were in the 90s.
>>
If they ban you from getting refund draw attention to their policy of banning people that return stuff from being able to return stuff.
>>
>>320341419
Not every game had a demo back in the days.

Good thing Valve will shut your ass down if you keep doing that.
>>
>>320341092
You can if you have a console
>go to gamestop
>buy used
>have a week to return it for full refund
>>
>>320341092
>>320339596

>Play game
>Didn't enjoy
>Refund

Why is this bad?
>>
>>320341604
>>320341092
>I defend corporations

Why
>>
>>320341604

No, but demos were more numerous and longer.

>Good thing Valve will shut your ass down if you keep doing that.

Joke's on you, I pirate everything I may be interested in.
>>
Can I refund a game after getting its cards? Recently I bought a buggy piece of shit but got a ton of hours on it since I left it idling.
>>
>>320341889
No, anon. Don't be stupid.
>>
>>320341754
Because you pay for the privilege of playing the game, not for the enjoyment you may or may not have.

It's bad for you because it makes you grow intolerant to smaller issues and refund it immediately. Essentially, you will turn into /v/.

It's bad for Valve because the process is not automated and thus requires manpower. If you continue to refund games on a whim, you cost Valve money without making them any returns. They have all the right to deny you refunds if you go ham.
>>
Did you know some steam games can be opened directly from their folder? so you can sink 100 hours in them without steam noticing.
>>
>>320342264
>Because you pay for the privilege of playing the game, not for the enjoyment you may or may not have.
Take that corporate dick out of your ass. If a game is shitty I'm fully entitled to refund it. Don't want your shit refunded? Make good games
>>
>>320342264
>It's bad for you because it makes you grow intolerant to smaller issues and refund it immediately

That's silly. You don't know if I'm refunding a game for a big or small issue, also, if it's a bad product it doesn't deserve my money.

>It's bad for Valve because the process is not automated and thus requires manpower. If you continue to refund games on a whim, you cost Valve money without making them any returns.

If it was bad for Valve they wouldn't have implemented it to begin with.
>>
>>320339015
>I spoke to customer service and said if they dont want me to request refunds like that, then quit it with the sale within a sale bullshit.

im sure the lowest-level CSR passed on your opinion directly to gabe
>>
>buy a game
>open it up once for a few minutes
>close
>play the game in offline mode
>refund and say it didn't run
can this work?
>>
>>320337746
no this is exactly why they enable refunds so you dont get screwed every time you buy that unfinished shovelware. refund away.
>>
>>320337746
>Stating a simple fact is being passive aggressive

This political correctness bullshit needs to stop
>>
>>320342664
>being that self-entitled
I want you to understand that refunding anything entertainment is a luxury. Here in the EU, if you walk up to a store and demand a refund for a videogame, they will laugh at you. Like you should.

Don't be a retard with money.
>>
>>320343005
>You don't know if I'm refunding a game for a big or small issue
That's kinda irrelevant if you have been doing this the last 12 times you purchased a game.

>if it's a bad product it doesn't deserve my money
Make smarter purchases then.

>If it was bad for Valve they wouldn't have implemented it to begin with.
EU laws forced their hand.
>>
>>320343380
>devs are misleading with their game
>buy game and it's not what they promised
>refund
>somehow this is entitled
It honestly doesn't matter what you think, because steam has a refund policy, so you're wrong. You can refund for literally any reason
>>
>>320343160

Suspect, but it could work once or twice.

If you attempt to do it regularly, they'll catch on and cut off your refund privileges, claiming abuse of the system.
>>
>>320343587
so once every few months?
>>
>>320343380
I wish that those spergs who went on public killing sprees would instead go and kill people who you're defending.
>>
>>320338628
Why wouldn't you just pirate it at this point?
>>
>>320343572
>misleading
>tons of screenshots during development
>hours of footage prior to release
>misleading
You'd have to be a literal retard to be genuinely surprised by the content of the game you're purchasing these days.

Sure, Steam has a refund policy, but they will deny you refunds if you go overboard. Guess I'm right after all.
>>
>>320338628

That doesn't work if the game has achievements because the achievement unlock data is cached until you are online again.
>>
>>320343687
I wouldn't risk it. Save refunding for it's actual use. You don't want to abuse it, lose your privileges and be stuck with shit games in the future
>>
>>320337746
No, they are legally obliged to provide the refund, it isn't a service they were opted to do, it was a standard they were obliged to conform to (European laws, basically, and America gets the benefits being the underdeveloped shithole they are)
>>
>>320343796
You're arguing that refunding a game because you didn't enjoy it is wrong. Yet steam literally has that as a refund option. Guess you are wrong
>>
>>320341889
You have to play over 2 hours before getting any cards.
>>
>>320343697

nowadays there is some incredibly weird misconception that downloading something will get you in trouble
>>
>>320343796
>tons of bullshots and prerendered "gameplay footage"
>nothing but lies about the content

Thanks but I want to judge myself wether a game is worth paying for or not.
>>
maybe if you dumb fucking drones didnt buy stupid garbage shit just because it is on sale, you wouldnt have to feel like a complete moron and ask for your allowance money back

dumb shits
>>
People who treat this like a rental service are going to fuck it up eventually.
>>
>>320343796
>tons of screenshots during development
Indie devs constantly post mock-ups as screen shots.
>>
>>320344071
You got it all wrong anon. We are fully encouraged to buy shit just because it's on sale now. And if we don't like it after an hour and 50 minutes we get our money back, no questions asked
>>
>>320343958
>You're arguing that refunding a game because you didn't enjoy it is wrong.
I'm not, that's a straw man. I'm not arguing against refunds in general, just against people like you going full retard with them. And Steam will shut you down if you go crazy. Hmm.
>>
>>320344034

That and the misconception that every single cracked version of a game is obviously a Chinese botnet bitcoin mining program that simultaneously destroys your computer and leaks your data to the government.

And worst of all, it's not even retarded aunts perpetuating the idea, it's people who are at least computer literate enough to know how software works.
>>
>>320344121
No, people who treat it as a rental service will be barred from refunding. It won't affect everyone
>>
File: 1443318551542.jpg (39 KB, 504x642) Image search: [Google]
1443318551542.jpg
39 KB, 504x642
>>320342264
Oh my god what is wrong with you
>>
>>320343912
>europe tells a privately owned american company what to do

you keep believing that
>>
>>320344253
>people like you who go full retard with them
How is refunding a game because I didn't like it going full retard? I'm not refunding every game I buy, just the shitty ones
>>
>>320344286
It will affect everyone, because they'll just treat everyone like shit when all these people abuse the system.
>>
>>320337746
Stop abusing the system. The refund system isn't meant to be a replacement for you actually looking in to games before you buy them. It's there for when a game is nothing like how it was advertised or how the reviewer shills said it would be.

Actually do some research before you buy a game and you won't need as many refunds.
>>
>>320344060
>>320344167
>being fooled by bullshots in 2015
Did you just start out playing games this year or do you have a few additional chromosomes?

There are a shitload of non-corporate Youtube or Twitch channels who play games before they are released. What more do you need to make an educated purchase? How fucking dumb are you?
>>
>>320344347
If they want to sell games in Europe or Australia they have to follow the laws in those places or they will get sued.
>>
>>320344347

it can when the option is "do this thing or you can't do buisness with europe"
>>
>>320344494
>watching other people play videogames to base an opinion
>>
>>320344494
Stop absolving companies of any and all responsibility for their actions.
It's a disgusting mindset.
>>
>>320344286

Except that it will.

I haven't ever been scammed out of marketplace shit, but I still have to deal with the added security measure bullshit because a bunch of people honestly thought random strangers on the internet were going to duplicate their rare skins.
>>
File: 1449477547599.jpg (20 KB, 303x357) Image search: [Google]
1449477547599.jpg
20 KB, 303x357
>>320344608
>Valve is responsible for MY purchase I make with MY money

Jesus Christ, some of you people.
>>
please do not bully valve she is a delicate flower
>>
>>320344574
And this is wrong how?

By the way, usually it takes only a couple of screenshots to know whether or not I will like a game. And I'm right in 90% of the cases.
>>
>>320344713
No.
But they do have to allow for my legal right to a refund for an inadequate product.
>>
>>320344264
How can anyone think that cracks can have bitcoin miners? If you had a bitcoin miner on your computer you sure as shit wouldn't be able to play the game that the crack is for since it would be taking all of your system resources.

Do people not know what bitcoin miners are?
>>
>>320344853
Not after two hours of playtime, bub.
>>
>>320345023
No two hours of play time is just the "I don't like it" time limit.
You can always return a faulty or falsely advertised game.
>>
>>320345023
Tell that to arkham knight owners
>>
File: 1419903671251.jpg (22 KB, 396x400) Image search: [Google]
1419903671251.jpg
22 KB, 396x400
>>320343912
>>
>>320345626
No it is right.
If your country gives you the legal right to a refund and valve sells you games in that country they have to conform.
>>
File: 1425210374965.png (327 KB, 448x450) Image search: [Google]
1425210374965.png
327 KB, 448x450
Valvedrones are still hard at work as usual I see.
>>
File: 1437849988354.png (967 KB, 711x719) Image search: [Google]
1437849988354.png
967 KB, 711x719
>Mfw even fucking EA has a better refund policy than Valve
>>
>>320345626
https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/full-steam-ahead-accc-institutes-proceedings-against-valve-for-making-alleged-misleading-consumer-guarantee-representations
Oops
>>
>>320345731

They do until they can provide evidence that the customer is attempting fraud, at which point they can tell the customer to fuck off, regardless of country.
>>
>>320345731
>>320345963
To contrast, the reason why EU 3DSs aren't sold with chargers is because of some retarded EU consumer law regarding the standardization of ports (like micro USB). Nintendo said "lol fuck you europoors" and just took away your chargers instead.
>>
File: laughing pepe.png (121 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
laughing pepe.png
121 KB, 258x245
>>320342264
>Essentially, you will turn into /v/.
Well said, Anon. Well said.
>>
>>320343912
>america being undeveloped shithole they are

If importing millions of mudslimes and committing cultural and ethnic suicide is considered "developed", then I hope to fucking god we never become it.
>>
>>320346305
>replying to eurobait

That retard and all his friends are probably going to go see Star Wars this weekend. America has taken over his country and he doesn't even realize it.
>>
>>320345023
Depends on if you live somewhere that has consumer protection laws or not.
>>
>>320344903
>>320344264
They're programmed to use the resource when the gpu is idle/not in use, dumb-dumbs
>>
I'm torn on Steam refunds.

On one hand, I hate the idea that picky fucks can just shit on a game for any tiny reason and refund it.

On the other hand, I hate the practice of digital-only, DRM-riddled game releases, and sort of feel like these game developers have it coming. Why should bad business practices not be met with bad consumer practices? I really can't feel bad for these people at all.

All-in-all, refund away, but I reserve the right to call you a faggot for doing so if I wish.
>>
>>320346597
But Valve literally chose to do it and it's probably making them money instead of losing them money.
>>
>>320346597
>On one hand, I hate the idea that picky fucks can just shit on a game for any tiny reason and refund it.
Gee treating video game purchases just like any other purchase is a bad thing?
>>
>>320346105

>standardization is bad
>>
>>320346594

Would be smart if I didn't already have a utility for checking system resource activity. So unless this bitcoin miner also comes equipped with a perfect blanket mask that prevents activity reporting from every possible program, it's doesn't exist.

I get the feeling this misconception was started by some salty fag who got a C&D from his house's ISP, was grounded for a week by his parents and crafted the story to assuage his butthurt.
>>
>>320346873
I didn't say that. All I'm saying is that huge sweeping consumer protection laws can end up fucking over the consumers.

You know why Kinder surprises were banned in the US for all those years? For our "protection".

Government and business don't always mix, because sometimes it's not worth it for the business to kneel over for the government.
>>
>>320340743
>No other consumer base in the world is this bad.
Smartphones maybe? People can get pretty rabidly defensive over apple vs android.
>>
>>320344347
Steam got sued by the Australians, not sure if anyone else did. They decided to make a universal refund policy to avoid future lawsuits.
>>
I have no issue with Valve giving you that little snarky comment while still giving you your refund.

However, let's talk about the fact that the Steam review system is a fucking joke. Shills just vote 'helpful' on positive reviews and 'not helpful' on negative reviews.

One early access turd that I made the mistake of buying for 9 bucks has only been updated twice in the last year, and both updates were unsubstantial. The game is still buggy, crash prone, and completely unfinished. My review pointed this out, and was instantly downvoted to unhelpful by like ten shills who offered such helpful reviews as "LOL this game is EPIC!!! Buy it now!!"
>>
>>320347149
Comic book readers are worse.
>>
File: 1447287627779.jpg (5 KB, 250x249) Image search: [Google]
1447287627779.jpg
5 KB, 250x249
>>320337746
I usually dont defend corps. but i feel like Valve is trying to do customers a favor with the refund option and people are abusing it. I dont blame people though. Why not take advantage if the option is there. Survival of the fittest.

That being said theres a better way to get your game demos/free games and not get your account banned. Buy on a seperate account and if you like it refund it and then gift it to your main account to play forever. Otherwise get rid of it on the side account. When your side account gets banned make a new one.
>>
File: refund.png (240 KB, 1044x604) Image search: [Google]
refund.png
240 KB, 1044x604
>>320339015
>They said they won't count a refund you request where the game goes on sale a day later even cheaper and you refund that and buy it back.
shill harder m8, if you're going to shitpost at least have a grain of truth in your arguments.
>>
>>320347947
>i feel like Valve is trying to do customers a favor with the refund option
They're only doing it because they want to avoid future lawsuits over consumer protection issues.
>>
>>320337746
By telling you to check out customer reviews before buying products, they are pretty much saying fuck you to any company that happens to have less desirable reviews. So I guess Steam is the most anti-developer of them all now huh?
>>
>/v/ will find a reason to complain even if it's wrong
>anon wants to abuse the system without pirating the game
>>
>>320346771
After EA and greenlight Valves quality control completely disappeared.
Being able to actually return shit games when I buy them means that I'm more willing to buy smaller games on steam.
>>
>pirating is fine
>abusing refunds isn't
Your all fags
>>
File: ddd.png (216 KB, 393x391) Image search: [Google]
ddd.png
216 KB, 393x391
>>320348348
>"they are pretty much saying fuck you to any company that happens to have less desirable reviews."
>"so i guess steam is anti-developer"
>literally defending shitty companies that make shitty games
>>
>>320348318
See >>320348423
With the massive drop in average quality it's a smart business move.
>>
>>320337746
>Does anybody know if at some point steam decides that you've had enough refunds and stops giving them?
if you abuse the refund system like a faggot they will stop giving you refunds
Caveat Emptor
>>
File: 1366953049729.jpg (345 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1366953049729.jpg
345 KB, 500x667
I'm honestly surprised they allowed it outside of Europe.

I'm glad they did, but when Europe's laws demanded digital refunds or some byzantine shit, I thought there would be no chance in hell that they'd allow it here given how much corporations fuck over consumers.
>>
>>320348663
Probably because 70%+ of the steam library is complete trash right now and everyone knows it.
>>
>>320348505
Fucking pirate the game, don't pretend like every game didn't run, while forcing others to do extra work.
>>
I don't understand how it's so hard for people to just do some research before buying a game.
>>
>>320348552
If the wrong audience buys a great game, that game would get bad reviews. Look up any game that you love and I guarantee it has bad reviews. Average customer reviews are a shitty way to tell how good or bad a game is. Practically the only way to tell is to try it yourself, and Steam is saying it would rather you not find out if you like a game or not.
>>
>>320348663
They probably knew that if they split the platform into Euro/US and whatnot that people from the ghetto would use proxies to buy Euro and use the protection laws removing any reason to split in the first place. It's effort for zero return, whereas having a universal return policy makes them look good to people without consumer protection laws.
>>
>>320348845
No ones pretending that. There's a refund option that literally says you didn't like it
>>
Wait, for games that can be played offline, that means you have all the essential files on your computer needed to play it, correct?
Couldn't you just copy the folder(s) its all in, place it somewhere else (external drive?), then refund it but still have it?
>>
>>320339015

Actually they did just that, I got Ground Zeroes refunded to me when I bought it at slightly higher price and then it gets discounted even more two days later so I refund and say that's exactly why I'm doing it. Got refunded and bought the game again immediately.
>>
>>320349114
Steam reviews are literally the best way to have other people tell you if a game is good or not large-scale. every person who reviews a game on steam MUST have purchased the game, and they only get to rate it up or down. there's not bullshit where three 8/10's get btfo by one troll 0 to bring the average down to 6/10, i mean look at Metacritic for christs sake. The entire website is a fucking joke for user reviews since a bandwagon can spam 0's on a game to butcher the average. not to mention, all those 0's probably come from people who have played a grand total of 0 hours of the game
>look up any game you love and I guarantee it has bad reviews
that's their right to express their opinion you sperg, games I love don't have to be perfect by every standard and loved by all.
>>
Only game I've refunded so far is "Shroud of the Avatar".

Why did they even let that garbage on steam? There is no game loop. Stats do NOTHING. All the game's development goes into $300 dollar houses people buy off an add-on store. The players/devs are constantly abusing the review system to hide these facts. Its been in development for nearly 3 years and it doesn't even have proper combat animations.

I'd be so goddamn furious if I was stuck with that piece of shit game.
>>
>>320343531
>Make smarter purchases then.
sometimes you need to try it for yourself to make an informed opinion. if a game doesn't have a demo version, it's the dev's fault for trying to trick you into buying blindly, only using hype and propaganda to get something that may be shitty.

but you sound like some corporate shill who shills for this precise practice, so you could sell gold painted turds to idiots and make loads of dosh off of those retards without them having any say in it.
>>
>>320350135
Because Valve removed their quality control years ago by popular demand.
>>
>>320344034

I have that "misconception". How are you so sure it's actually a misconception?.
>>
>>320350229
>if a game doesn't have a demo version

I really miss demos.

>but you sound like some corporate shill who shills for this precise practice

Really. Steam refunds is a good thing. Arkham knight being a prime example.
>>
>>320350046
>that's their right to express their opinion you sperg
So someone has the right to express their opinion, but I don't have the right to disagree with their opinion?
>>
>>320351290
All opinions are welcome, as long as they're the majority opinion. Any dissenting opinions are micro-aggressions against the whole by an individual.
>>
>>320349114
>If the wrong audience buys a great game, that game would get bad reviews. Look up any game that you love and I guarantee it has bad reviews. Average customer reviews are a shitty way to tell how good or bad a game is.
You can figure out if you are the part of the wrong audience if you agree with those reviews.
You can find reviews that recommend the game and tell what's right or wrong with the game.
You can find reviews that don't recommend the game and tell what kept them playing for hours and what are the current problems.
You can skip short joke reviews instantly.
You can look up for a no commentary gameplay video.
You can read news (in steam) related to a game to know what has changed.
But you choose to find excuses.
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.