[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why does /v/ hate this again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 5
File: guide_screen_ds2.jpg (493 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
guide_screen_ds2.jpg
493 KB, 1920x1200
why does /v/ hate this again?
>>
>>320309487
You know why.
>>
It's cool to hate popular things.

The game had problems, sure. Big. Fucking. Glaring. Problems. But it wasn't nearly as terrible as the keks claim.
>>
>>320309487
a combination of consolefaggotry, "muh secret souls club", contrarianism because souls games got popular, and sequel syndrome where because DaS2 wasn't a 10/10 compared to DaS's 8/10, it's a 0/10
>>
>>320309487
Clunky Gameplay
Bland world & lore design
Soul memory
Multiple versions separating the playerbase.

Other then that it's a decent soul game, but soul memory will fuck up your gameplay.
>>
>>320309636
this, it's the worst in the series for many reasons (mechanics, mostly), but I still enjoyed it for what it was
>>
>>320309779
as someone who plays almost entirely offline, whats wrong with soul memory
>>
I don't know about original Dark Souls 2, but I'm playing SoTFS and I love it just as much as I loved Dark Souls 1.

I like fighting big guys with armor and fuckoff swords.
>>
>>320309487
The game was only made because the first one got popular because "oh em gee soo hard xD". Even one trophy is called "Welcome to Dark Souls" and is awarded when you die for the first time.

9 out of 10 bosses are just big armor dudes.
>>
it kinda of destroys the level meta and people resort to running around with max-levels and havels and whatnot
>>
>>320309841
Soul memory ultimately limits who you can play with and decreases chances of online play over time. Instead of being able to play with someone at my level, I'm stuck playing with the few people that are online that are within my range of souls AND in the same area.
>>
>>320310013
>the sequel only got made because the first one was popular
see this is what I mean
>>320309669
>>
>>320309669
I don't dislike it for any of those reasons
In fact I still recognize it's a decent enough game, but it's definitely okay to dislike it.
>>
Am I the only one who doesn't care about lore in the souls games? I wouldn't mind if Dark Souls 3's items lack descriptions and the plot is "evil wizard kidnapped princess, go rescue princess".
>>
/v/ like's underrtale and bitcher 3, who gives a fuck what these retards think or like
>>
>>320310793
>lack descriptions
that would just be annoying

I'm ok with general descriptions like "restores some health" rather than "HP up 5% on kill"
>>
>>320310013
Dark Souls 2's bosses being nothing but dudes in armor is funny because people couldn't stop circlejerking over Artorias.
Just like Soul Memory and no infinite-uses invasion item ("bwaaaaaaaaa, I'm tired of being invaded by those red assholes! pls from save me! by the way I want summons, messages and blood spots, keep those"), B-Team gave people what they wanted.

>>320310950
Oh, of course I'm not excluding the basic "this item does x and y and z". It's just that I don't see the point about the description narrating how this healing stone was used by the god of farts to heal his dark-infused haemorrhoids.
>>
If it already wasnt already hard enough to summon a bro, soul memory made it all but impossible
>>
>>320309487
Because they're blind. It has the best gameplay and unrivaled customization but the other games(and BB) shine in other areas
>>
>>320311719
Summoning was shitty on DaS thanks to the retarded peer-to-peer scheme they used. DaS2's one worked like a charm, as long as you bro and you were in the same SM rank.
Source: I co-op both games with two different friends. There was times on DaS where we couldn't summon each other for hours; with DaS2 worked without trouble.
>>
The game's shit because it is an unnecessary sequel to a literal 10/10 perfection game.
>>
>>320309841

A thing I like to do for both PvP and PvE is make a character build for a certain area. For example make an archer specifically for co-op around tarus / church. Also did iron golem set + golem axe for sen's fortress. I got the items / levels for these areas then stopped leveling /advancing the character. Soul memory ruins this as play a character over time your soul memory is going to increase putting you in a higher bracket despite not spending souls. Similarly end game PvP was ~level 120 as long as someone had a character in range, they were likely to find people to play against. It didn't matter for matchmaking whether they just got the character to 120 or had been playing for 100s of hours. And honestly the worst part is soul memory didn't combat twinks all that much either. It should of been something like souls spent on levels + souls spent on gear which would have made a lot more sense.
>>
>>320309487
MEME GAME DUDE LMAO
>>
>>320309487
Level design is shit
Melee was nerfed massively and magic was buffed massively
96% of the enemies are human soldiers
No fun physics on corpses
Covenents still busted as fuck and overly obscure like the first game
4 fucking ring slots

hell even the controls didn't feel right.
>>
>>320311401
Artorias had a unique moveset, good lore behind him, and was pretty challenging

Most of DaS2's bosses lack all three of those elements
>>
>>320309487
Because Matthew told me it was shit, and was made by b team. And I prefer to listen to YouTube celebs, rather then form my own opinion on something.
>>
>>320309487

Because it's cool and edgy to hate dark things.

Which is stupid since god itself is dark. As in everything having an expiration date. God's humour.
>>
>>320310262
then you are not the people mentionned by OP, little "muh" snowflake poster
>>
>>320312835
>Listening to youtube celebs to form your opinions instead of listening to /v/ to form your opinion

lol check out this pleb.
>>
>>320312908
Whatever dude. Grow up.
>>
>>320310013
Popular things get sequels. Still not a reason to blindly rage over it.
>>
>>320312553
I give you the first and third, especially if you allow him to "supercharge". Many times I have to two-hand the zwei and whack him before he ends his charging animation.

His lore was nothing especial: knight in shining armor gets corrupted. That's it.
>>
>>320309487
shitty rehash:
>ebin sun covenant
>ebin havel's set
>ebin soul memory
>ebin iframe stat
>ebin GIANT DUDE IN ARMOR LMAO!!
>ebin elevator that goes to a vulcan in sky
also majority of the enemies had bullshit tracking attacks
>>
>>320309487
Who cares
>>
>>320312460
>Level design is shit

When will this meme die
>>
File: 1445556909946.jpg (51 KB, 634x551) Image search: [Google]
1445556909946.jpg
51 KB, 634x551
>>320309779
>Multiple versions separating the player base

I dunno why I'm replying to this shit
>>
>>320309487
memes.

PVE is ok, same as the second half of the first DaS1 post anal rodeo, which was meh to ok

DLC are literally some of the best levels in any souls game, until bloodborne and the old hunters LDC which are better

PVP is the most balanced and actually fun, soul memory ruined it a little but hoenstly it's a good pvp

Overall rank PVE -

Bloodborne DLC > Bloodborne > DaS2 DLC > Demon's Souls > DaS1 first half > DaS2 Vanilla = DaS1 second half

PVP rank -

Dark Souls 2 > Bloodborne > Dark Souls > Demon's Souls
>>
>>320310013
It did feel cringey when the granny at the beginning went "you will always die and lose your souls because this is Dark Souls, that very hard game, don't forget"
>>
>>320309487
dank ass maymays of course
>>
>>320309487
Call me when DS2's NPCs are as good as this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YB1A7RM2lQ
>>
The reason Dark Souls 2 is shit is because it was developed for PC first. All the souls games that were developed for Sony consoles first and foremost were the best.
>>
>>320309487
great game, not the game it should have been or people EXPECTED to be

frustrating mechanically sometimes. often in some cases
>>
>>320313165
well that and sif, since you get the bonus scene if you beat the DLC before beating Sif. I guarantee you that B-Team would have never thought of that.

But even if we discount that, mediocre lore is better than no lore at all.
Dragonriders/Ornstein at Heide's Tower?
uhh i dunno lol

Flexile Sentry?
Just some guy that's chilling in the boat, maybe he was their leader or something

Pursuer? Why the fuck is he even pursuing you? Did anyone send him? Did Nashranda send him? If so, then why didn't she wait until you had the 4 great souls? After all, she wanted to consume your soul when it was at its most powerful, so why assassinate the player character when you're at your weakest? Why didn't the pursuer just go chase any asshole that dared to travel in Drenglic, like everyone in Majula? What made you special, besides the fact that you're the player character? If it was trying to chase you because you were hunting great souls, then how the fuck did it even know that you were hunting them in the first place?

I can go on. Yes you can say this for capra/taurus demon but the point is that most of the bosses besides the great ones are like this
>>
>>320309841
Nothing. It prevented faggots from low level ganking and they are mad about it.
>>
DaS2 was like a very developed technical demo to showcase what they wanted in DaS3.

The UI was better. The controls were better. Everything mechanically about it was smoother and more intuitive. But the bosses, world design, and general atmosphere of the base game was severely lacking. Certain decisions like the insane tracking on enemies (pre-nerf Homing Missiles and Mace Drakekeeper) were FromSoft testing the waters with ways to make the game harder because that's obviously what people have clamored for.

It's a solid game, but it just feels stripped down of feeling. It's why the DLC zones are pretty solid.
>>
>>320314319
Don't you ever bother reading the lore on their souls?
>>
>>320309487
Because the developers didn't change anything from the first game

>Boring music
>katanas aren't even strong wtf (the most efficient and deadliest weapon in history)
>artificial difficult
>slow healing animation
>bad level design
>no respect to Japanese culture

Here's is a in-depth review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71gG754VYlw
>>
>>320314596
Why would I play a shit game?
>>
>>320314763
>the common /v/irgin shitposts yet again
>>
>>320314752
>no respect to Japanese culture

What? What the fuck does this even mean?
>>
>>320312460
>>320312460
I'll add to this

uninspired enemy designs compared to BB and DaS1

boring attacks from every enemy, every attack is just a slow sweeping attack that you roll through because lolTracking

Enemies have WAY too much health, and combined with the above reason makes combat tedious and unexciting.

Developers get lazy and throw additional enemies at you during boss battles. BB (and a lot of DaS2 DLC bosses) distanced themselves from this flawed design choice and it shows

Bad mocapped animations, the rolling in DaS2 looks pathetic compared to any other souls game for example

Agility combined with the fact that the roll animation doesn't change as you get more agility makes rolling feel inconsistent.

Nerfed parrying to hell, do you really have to hold the shield in front of you for a whole half-second before parrying like a dumbass? Add that to reduced parry frames, deceptive enemy attacks, and the fact that roll-backstabbing or just attack are JUST as effective makes parrying/repostes pretty fucking bad. I'm not sure about PvP though
>>
>>320314752
Oh, another youtube video depicting some faggot.

Why is /v/ unable to have an opinion or formulate an idea by itself?
>>
File: bait.jpg (220 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
220 KB, 3000x3000
>>320314752
>katanas aren't even strong wtf (the most efficient and deadliest weapon in history)

Damn it. I took the bait.
>>
>>320312460
Don't forget the boss music all sounding the same. There were very few boss tracks that felt unique.
>>
>>320312460
all of this is right except for the controls not feeling right

the controls were way fucking better than DaS. Literally the only problem mechanically was agility.
>>
>>320315243
So, just the same as Dark Souls 1?
>>
It's like someone tried to copy the first game but just fucked up in every possible way.
>>
>>320311401

Artorias had a much more interesting moveset than any of the bosses in DaS2. There also weren't that many "dudes in armor" bosses in Dark Souls so fighting one that was almost like fighting a superpowered player was great. Artorias's design was also a million times more interesting than any of the "dudes in armor" bosses from Dark Souls 2.
>>
I havent played very much of it but I dunno it just kinda felt "off"
>>
>>320314596
Okay lets go over each of these examples

Dragonrider has absolutely no reason to be in heides tower as far as I know

>Ornstein
Either some asshole imitating him or the remnants of his soul reincarnating himself in Drengleic aka developers are fucking lazy and reused him

>flexile sentry
So he punishes the undead. eh I guess I was somewhat wrong about him, but that just means that he's just a boring jail guard. There's no reason why he's an abomination, other than the fact that he's a boss battle. Kinda boring if you ask me, plus it doesn't even seem like he's doing his job correctly when you look at Lost Bastille so in reality he's an asshole that just chills on a boat and bullys undead.

>pursuer
If he seeks the bearer of the sign then why doesn't he go after literally ANY other undead? Why just you? That's pretty fucking immersion-breaking if the game is outright treating you like a mary sue 30 minutes into the game. "This pursuer guy goes after undead BUT he only goes after you because you're special or something"
>>
>>320314575
I hope DS3 warps good traits of all the titles so far with a tight package.
>>
>>320309636
>Big. Fucking. Glaring. Problems
>Big problems
>cool to hate popular things

Brah

>shitty hitboxes
>pathetic enemy ganking

Im glad I can't remember more. I was legit pissed off when I played it - sure, it grew on me, but still.

Im glad BB doesn't have as many moments where enemies try to sneak up on you 2bh
>>
>>320314890
>>320314959
>not knowing that its bait

baka desu
>>
>>320309487
I don't hate it. I just don't like it as much as the other games in the series. Bland art direction, level design, and bosses are to blame.
>>
>>320315865
>If he seeks the bearer of the sign then why doesn't he go after literally ANY other undead? Why just you? That's pretty fucking immersion-breaking if the game is outright treating you like a mary sue 30 minutes into the game. "This pursuer guy goes after undead BUT he only goes after you because you're special or something"

The implication is that there are many Pursuers of the same order that hunt the yet unhollowed undead in order to strip them of their humanity and repay some unknown crime.
>>
>>320309487
The level design and combat are absolute shit. I tried playing DaS2 after playing BB for a while, and I couldn't stand to play the game for more than 10 minutes. Level design and combat are what makes these games, and it utterly fails at that while having boring lore.
>>
>>320316619
Then we should've had an encounter with an NPC and a pursuer in the game that reflects that. I can believe multiple pursuers since you kill a bunch of them, but why don't they go after Majula then?
>>
>>320309487
I find it disappointing, I don't hate it. I wish I didn't pay as much money for it as I did.

Most of the game are big human dudes, and if you figure out the parry; then you've beaten 60% of the game right there.
The whole game is a pushover with strike weapons, with thrust weapons getting the deepest dicking imaginable to where some thrust weapons can't even complete the game due to how shitty their movesets are and how devastated their scaling is.
The game hides fairly good quality weapons that have no decent analog to where you HAVE to use a cookie-cutter build for most of the game until you get that quality weapon you wanted. Unlike Dark 1 where you could get almost every weapon in the game after a five minute run from your spawn position.

The levels start out wide, colorful, and gorgeous before shoving you into corridors among dark, brown corridors. Some levels just become 'What's going to pop out from behind that pillar and what stupid fucking trick is it going to use to one-hit-kill you?'.

That said, with all that said and done. I probably played Dark 2 more than Dark 1. If anything it's because Dark 2 actually fixed the fucking multiplayer to make it where I actually have a chance of getting summoned once in a trillion years.
>>
>>320316969
It's in the Soul Lore, man.

>but why don't they go after Majula then?

Majula seems to be a place enemies can't enter as a holy area. It's implied that the area makes people go Hollow as several NPCs begin to their memories while there and become single-mindedly focused on one thing, which means the area may be some sort of Dark-heavy area which would explain why enemies fear it so, and why the Emerald Herald camps out there.
>>
>>320309487

I dunno, it was just bland.

Even DAI was a better western RPG last year.
>>
>>320317170
>with thrust weapons getting the deepest dicking imaginable to where some thrust weapons can't even complete the game due to how shitty their movesets are and how devastated their scaling is.

E S T O C
S
T
O
C
>>
>>320309487
it was a half assed cash in.

at least From got their shit together with Bloodborne and it's DLC.

Still worried about DaS3
>>
>>320313252
how is it a meme when it's fact?

and the Sunken King DLC only amplified the problem of bad level design
>>
>>320318195
m-muh no shortcuts
>>
>>320317518
If its holy then why is there a skeleton in a basement? That alone disproves it. It also seems improbable when you have The Rotten chilling right beneath Majula

And just because NPCs start to lose their memories doesn't mean that the place is Dark-heavy. There is nothing that suggests that. It could be something else, like them sitting on their asses and doing nothing that causes them to hollow. Not saying that it does but that's about as unlikely as your theory

wait a minute, Majula doesn't even make sense, there's literally nothing stopping the guys from the Forest of Fallen Giants from bumrushing Majula and taking it over. At least with DeS and BB, the hubs were disconnected from reality and shit. Here, it's just a concession given to the player to cater to DeS fans or something. It makes it feel more "gamey", and ultimately less immersive
>>
>>320317719
>Still worried about DaS3

I like to think DaS2 was made intentionally shitty to keep /v/ermin away from Miyazaki's true magnum opus. The community will be pure again.
>>
>>320314380
>I got beaten by a meanie invader in the parish once, so From should ruin invading in the next games!
>>
>>320318602
>If its holy then why is there a skeleton in a basement?
Not him, but I can answer that: It's implied to be a guardian of that map and was trying to keep you from seeing it. He didn't REALLY hollow out, it's just been down there so long that it hollowed to the point where his flesh fell off. His body still had a purpose.

>That alone disproves it. It also seems improbable when you have The Rotten chilling right beneath Majula

That is a good point.
>>
File: 1449367487213.jpg (157 KB, 1237x1444) Image search: [Google]
1449367487213.jpg
157 KB, 1237x1444
Play Bloodborne for an extended duration.

Then play Dark Souls 2.
>>
>>320318602
There's nothing stopping the skeletons from bumrushing Firelink, nor the knights in the Parish either
>>
>>320319316
Crestfallen.
>>
>>320319287

Feels like you're carrying a huge bucket of shit on you at all times. You move like one, too. God damn it's garbage.
>>
>>320318516
DaS2 has shortctus

just not to the extent BB, DS, and DeS had
>>
>>320319931
in other words the levels are more linear and have more boring enemies
>>
>>320320115
and a lot of boring enemies.

Not to mention lazy design (Sinners Rise Lighthouse)
>>
>>320319316
Good point.

No i'm not being passive-aggressive, I admit that I overlooked that and I admit that it represents a flaw in DaS1's immersion.
>>
>>320309487
DLC and broken dreams also IFrames
>>
Armor, something you could invest a LOT of resources into, was ultimately useless because the damage reduction formula was fucked up.

Attacks seem to have weight to them but every single fucking thing you hit has that same "stepping into wet muddy grass" sound to it.

There is no reason not to use strike weapons the entire game. It's flat out better against most enemies and, in the worst case scenario, is still equal to swords.

Pointless throwbacks. Ok, we get it, people liked Ornstein. Making him into an optional boss with no reasoning behind it and no exposition or equipment or anything? Lazy fan-service. Plus all the fucking armor they reused.
>>
File: Dark-Souls-3-2.jpg (703 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Dark-Souls-3-2.jpg
703 KB, 1920x1080
>>320309487
PVE shitters who weren't interested in anything but a dark souls expansion pack and/or people addicted to their high speed backstab/toggle pvps. The game has issues but these are the people who take the time out of their day to shit on DS2 usually.

I assume their will be different set of people to shit on DS3 when it comes out like clockwork.
>>
>>320321387

Let's talk about hitboxes and i-frames.

It's fact that i-frames are tied to a stat, adaptability. It's possible to do just fine and never level up ADP. But then your character will drink estus slower and use healing gems more slowly.

But, in case you haven't noticed a few hours into the game, enemies have ridiculous tracking. You'll want all the i-frames you can get to dodge things that really weren't near you to begin with, hence the "shockwaves" meme.

Speaking of ridiculous tracking, those huge fish men in the Bloodborne DLC were fucking stupid in terms of HP, damage, and tracking.
>>
>>320319287

holy shit does it feel slow and clunky, but after playing BB I find that I was A LOT more aggressive and just straight up played without a shield, makes the game way more easy than when I used to hide behind a shield.
>>
>>320321986

I will never understand why they decided to tie a player skill based action to a fucking stat, this is the worst thing about DaS2, this is an action game, if I dodge shit properly I expect not to get hit because of some fucking turn based stat
>>
>>320321986
Shark giants are pretty much the only truly dangerous enemy in the entire series.
Their tracking is fair, since they twist their torso and turn slowly.

You can still just parry and then chain backstab them.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.