[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Games you really want to get into but require far too much patience/knowledge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: Kerbalspaceprogram.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Kerbalspaceprogram.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
Games you really want to get into but require far too much patience/knowledge to even be remotely competent at.
Pic related

Still, fun to make batshit crazy rockets, but successfully getting to and back from planets? Fuck
>>
File: 1From_the_depths_cover_art.jpg (408 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1From_the_depths_cover_art.jpg
408 KB, 1920x1080
>>320256517
I just picked this up.

It looks like it could be fun but I feel too stupid to actually get into it.

I may just shrug off work for a few hours and dick around in the game.

anyone else who played it have any tips?
>>
Any fightan.

But that's also because I can't play online decently.
>>
>>320256898
memorize inputs
learn to pace and time yourself
practice

that's all you need to become halfway decent (but not pro) at fightan
>>
>>320257237
I know, but I simply have a bad internet collection.
>>
>>320257345
Oh. I know that feel bro.

USF4 is pretty difficult to find a nonlaggy match on and I gave up on Fightcade because my connection is too horrible.

Shit sux.
>>
>>320256517
Dwarf Fortress

I wish I could have the patience to make a half decent fort, just for the stories that I hear. I've played it a couple of times but after so long I get bored of it, then can't quite pick it back up again and have to restart.

I also wish I could fightan. I don't have the time to practice.
>>
>>320256517
Learn asparagus staging and aim for Minmus. It's close to Kerbin and the gravity there is very low and forgiving. Once you can handle one interplanetary trip, it all sort of falls into place.
>>
Crusader Kings II
>>
>>320257863
I made it there once and almost made it back (not enough fuel) after a fuck ton of youtube tutorials. But when coming back to it, all the knowledge was gone and I really didn't want to re-learn everything.
>>
File: ESP Ra.De..jpg (142 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ESP Ra.De..jpg
142 KB, 1280x720
>>320257237
Not that anon, but for me it's shmups & fightan too and the issue is that 4 years ago I was involved in a work accident and suffered permanent nerve damage in one of my hands. I'm not even that mad about it because it really was an accident and none of us who were in it were killed or horribly maimed or whatever, it could have been vastly worse and I'm glad it wasn't. A lot of the vidya I like to play anyway is relatively slow paced and I can have has much fun as ever, anything turn based is no problem for example. I can hunt and peck on a keyboard ok too and not even at bad speed relatively.

But even though I was never top tier I always loved fighters and shmups and sort had some vague idea that at some point I'd really sit down and try to git gud at them. But now I just physically cannot manage twitchy, fine control at all, even trying for too long gets really painful, and probably never will. I still have fun trying and playing with my bros but I get pretty rekt if they don't handicap, which I feel bad about.
>>
File: neat.jpg (47 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
neat.jpg
47 KB, 640x400
>>320256517
Watching a hour of scott manley videos on youtube is not exactly "far too much" patience/knowledge.

That would be Orbiter. What a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=262UMrl0_pQ
>>
>>320256517
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am7EwmxBAW8
>>
>>320258970
Well not only do you have to watch them, but put what he says into practice. But how could you not consider at least an hours worth of learning not too much to play a game?
>>
File: dcs.jpg (3 MB, 2000x2795) Image search: [Google]
dcs.jpg
3 MB, 2000x2795
>>320259403
Because I read a 600 page manual just to fly one airplane in a game.

Grand strategy games have huge manuals too. Also look up "Command: Modern Air Naval Operations".

Compared to all that, a hour of learning and a hour of practice is not much. Think of how much time you'll spend in a sandbox game like that. Probably in the hundreds, if it's your kind of game. So it's worth it. Think about it, two hours from this moment, you will be an adequate pilot in KSP. Don't want to be that guy, but it really is really simple once you get a hang of it.
>>
File: 220200_2014-08-24_00012.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
220200_2014-08-24_00012.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
The fact that KSP actually take some knowledge and practice to git gud at is what makes it so enjoyable.
>>
>>320259403
You have to put Dirt Rally into practice, iRacing, Starcraft and Counter Strike. But KSP requires no such fast motor and coordination skills. Just knowledge. So after a hour of tutorials and a bit of getting used to the controls, you're golden.
>>
>>320259403
>But how could you not consider at least an hours worth of learning not too much to play a game?
What. How old are you? I'm only in my 30s but I still have fond memories of sinking far, far more then that learning a variety of games. Flight sims, civ type games, city builders, strategy, all could end up needing dozens of hours of learning easily to really get good at.

Obviously, they don't require that purely to fire up the game and fuck around a bit, but neither does KSP. But right back at you, I really can't comprehend how "at least an hour" could possibly considered much time at all to play a real game that could easily have 50-100+ hours sunk into it.
>>
>>320260112
more like 500-1000+ hours
>>
>>320260292
Well, yes, but I'm willing to acknowledge a lot of people consider even 50-100 being "a lot" and I was trying to be conservative. My point was that an hour or two of learning is no problem even without getting into really big numbers. If you put in even more time then that just makes it even more foolish.
>>
>>320257863
Not OP but for me it's not the actual flights but the funding system. Can never get the objectives down for payment.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.