[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FUCK XCOM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
File: fuck xcom.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fuck xcom.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>Playing on insane ironman because I fucking hate myself and a bit of masochism is the only way to feel alive anymore
>First month, clearing ayys pretty well, three of my squaddies got injured behind full cover on some bullshit across the map shots from sectoids that don't make any fucking sense
>getting satellites up, but didn't get the abduction mission for engineers until really late for some fucking reason so probably not gonna get the satellite uplink up until A DAY AFTER the council report because this game is bullshit
>council mission to reduce panic, have to do it to save australia and japan or some shit
>going pretty gucci, make my way across the map and recover the guy. he's like in this crevice between two sides of the bridge. like 4 sectoids are holed up behind full cover on other side of the crevice.
>one sectoid fucking one hits one of my rookies, which causes the other guys to panic and one SHOOTS THE OTHER IN THE FACE and brings him down to 1hp
>get the VIP, work through like 4 thin mints with my 3 injured guys, get him to the skyranger
>"Good job commander, NOW KILL ALL REMAINING ALIENS BECAUSE FUCK YOU"
>Go back to the crevice, hide in overwatch on the other side for like 3 turns hoping they'll leave their full cover
>They never do
>I send one guy to full cover in this crevice so he can get vision of them
>Sectoid overwatch critical hits him and he flies literally off of the map
>Other guys panic
>Can't advance, can't win without advancing, no vision
>Wait 2 more turns
>They never leave, literally no options
>Try to send another guy
>He gets overwatched
>One guy left
>Try to fire rocket, they're clumped together, holy shit I can do this
>SOMEHOW FUCKING MISSES HITS NOTHING WHAT THE FUCK
>Get him behind red van full cover
>Alien Activity
>Critical Hit
FUCK THIS GAME WHY THE FUCK DO I HAVE TO KILL ALL THE ALIENS. HOW CAN I FUCKING KILL ALL THE GODDAMN ALIENS WHEN THEY ALL OVERWATCH BEHIND FULL COVER ON THE HIGH GROUND BEYOND VISION FUCK
>>
YOU GONNA COME DOWN HERE OR WHAT?
>>
File: 2015-12-14_00004.jpg (153 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-14_00004.jpg
153 KB, 1920x1080
YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO DOWN FIGHTING YOU FAGGOT I GOT YOU TO THE SKYRANGER WHAT THE FUCK
>>
>>320253761
>playing on iron man
>complaining about difficulty

this is all it really boils down to
>>
Just keep overwatching they will move eventually
>>
>COMMANDER YOU MUST HAVE CONTROL TAKEN AWAY FROM YOU WHILE I TELL YOU TO DEFEND THE UPLINK OR JAMMER OR WHATEVER THE FUCK IT IS EXALT ATTACKS I FORGET
>send a unit into the capture area
>discover 2 squads who get their free move to cover turn
>they move to cover immediately outside the capture area

This game is incredibly badly designed, I just spam overwatch and scout with 1 unit, the amount of enemy squads I wipe before they even move to cover is getting ridiculous
>>
>>320254629
Nah, not OP and that map in particular is actually pretty buggy. The lines of sight don't work right for one thing, wouldn't be surprised if the AI couldn't path properly either.
>>
Dunno why you would play impossible mode iron man to be honest. Impossible mode just gives enemies high stats so they can usually still hit you behind full cover and one shot you without carapace armour, and ironman mode just means that when you lose that one-in-a-thousand chance which you are going to miss sometime in the playthrough you're just gonna be run over and feel cheated.

What I would've liked is an option to restart and re-randomize a mission. So if you get fucked over you can try again without feel like you're cheating and know where all the pods are and shit.
>>
new XCOM is so horribly designed its a wonder why people even still play it
>>
>>320255257
You're 2 months early for /v/s typical hating on popular things, pal. Gotta wait until the game comes out first.
>>
>>320255189
Enemy within has exactly that feature.
>>
>>320255474
Since when?

I mean, you can load the autosaves but I don't see no restart and randomize option. I guess it's the same. Just seems like a hassle to reload and redo everything you did since it last autosaved.
>>
>>320255346
>buying new newxcom

pls no
>>
xcom is one of those games where save-scumming feels like total bullshit cheating, but the game itself is total bullshit and cheats as well

it doesnt help that the game often glitches or breaks or produces some bullshit one in a billion situation. not even to mention how sometimes ayylien squads can teleport around the map or materialize out of thin air.

the only way to play xcom on iron man is to be so fucking slow and meticulous that the game plays like molasses. i mean move 4-5 tiles at a time, all overwatching. if you get a situation like OP I would literally recommend overwatching for 10+ turns until the game does what it should. if it just breaks tho ur fucked.
>>
>>320255646
Pretty sure it's a second wave option called "bronzeman".
>>
>>320253761

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vkR1G_DUVc
>>
Break LoS.
>>
>>320256747
Ohh, that's Long War. I didn't play with that.
>>
What's a good strategy for troop grouping in the early game? Is it better to move all four guys in a reasonably tight formation so they can all overwatch cover each other, or try to spread them out across the length of the map to allow for flanking, or move them in like 2 squads of 2?

I often feel like I don't have good opportunties for flanking but that spreading out would just result in one dude popping an ayy group and having him get buttfucked.
>>
>>320257635

your first move should generally only move into full cover, do not move anyone further past the sight radius of the first guy
>>
>Signs on for RNG the game
>Is surprised it's shit

Wew lad
>>
X E N O N A U T S
>>
>>320258101
insightful commentary
>>
>>320258290
is okay

could be better but i like the idea at least
>>
>>320256747
>>320255646
>>320255474
>>320255189
Vanilla EW has a Second Wave option called Save Scum that resets the RNG every time you load the game.
>>
>>320253761
>Get resource hacker
>Open the game .exe with it and do some other stuff to enable modding
>Buff cover defense to hell and back
>Buff aim
>Use aiming angles
>RNG is dramatically reduced
Couldn't test it thogh
>>
>not using your rocket to blow up their cover
you dumb op?

>>320257635
the important thing to remember is that aliens will never attack you before you spot them for the first time. never reveal map with more than the first guy you move in a turn.
>>
>>320261617

>One guy left
>Try to fire rocket, they're clumped together, holy shit I can do this
>SOMEHOW FUCKING MISSES HITS NOTHING WHAT THE FUCK

u dumb guy?
u cumslurp guy?
u post without reading guy?
u think u dont slurp cum guy?
u dont think ur a cum wallowing slurper guy?
u never play xcom and know that rocket can miss guy? can go nowhere near targeted area guy? it not 100% guy? someone could try that and have it not work guy?

didnt read the post guy?
slurpin?

were ya slurpin?

were ya simply slurpin that cum guy?

cum on me bro u mad?
>>
>>320261856
>not using the rocket first to blow up their cover and force them to move towards you
>waiting to use it until after you ran all your guys into them
yeah u dumb op
>>
>>320254884
Exalt are notorious for their suicidal AI whenever they're not in control of the decoder. If they do have someone inside the capture area they'll shoot at you like sane people, but until then they'll prioritize it higher than anything else.
>>
File: HardWest 2015-11-20 14-24-17-36.jpg (179 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
HardWest 2015-11-20 14-24-17-36.jpg
179 KB, 1440x900
>>320253761
try hard west
it was the first time i saw a turn based rng doing the hit/miss chance properly
>you have let's say 100 points of luck
>if the enemy misses a shot at you you'll lose the same amount of luck he had of hitting chance e.g.: if you had 100 luck points and an enemy misses a 60% hit chance shot, you'll lose 60 points of luck
>luck refills a bit every turn but once the enemy's chance of hitting is higher than your luck you'll no longer be able to avoid a certain shot

it works for both you and the npcs and it was marvelously done... too bad the game isn't as xcom/wasteland and has no real campaign but instead several campaigns and i just hate games like that even though the story seems top notch
>>
>>320259648
The truth as well. What the fuck did you expect from a game with percentage based hits?
>>
>>320253761
>going pretty gucci
>>
File: Ayy lmao intensifies.webm (2 MB, 1280x718) Image search: [Google]
Ayy lmao intensifies.webm
2 MB, 1280x718
>>320253761
I feel ya. As much I liked XCOM this kind of shit only gets me triggered.

I seriously hope sequel do at least these parts right
>>
XCOM 2 is gonna be so good
>>
>>320263163
This is that turn-based strategy game that straight-up lifted XCOM:EU's cover system, right? I love Western settings and was looking to get into it. You recommend it? Anything I should know going in?
>>
>>320253761
Don't spam overwatch. Spam hunker until they move up. The AI cheats and knows things it shouldn't, including how many overwatches it'll need to run to position.
>>
>>320266007
yeah in terms of gameplay mechanics it's pretty similar but more refined
but as i said i thought it was based on a grand campaign like wasteland and xcom but it's more story driven with several chapters which are branched in two stories somehow related

i only played 3 or 4 stages and since i hate chapter based games and let the game on standby for another time but all that aside the game is pretty good both aesthetics and gameplay wise (can't say much about the story since i don't feel like i played it enough to have a real opinion but it seemed interesting and not filled with cliches like cowboy theme games usually are)
>>
>>320265930
What are they specifically fixing that will make it good this time?
>>
>>320267227
Not that guy, but I will say that the marketing is clearly going very well if nothing else. The guys they had over at their preview event apparently liked it quite a lot, and the gameplay videos out there look pretty decent. Lots of customization, new mechanics, maybe not quite so retarded a plotline. Looks good. Maybe not amazing, but I can't imagine it won't be worth a play.
>>
>>320267227
They're scrapping the traditional macro game for something completely different, so we'll see how that goes.

Scientists and Engineers are now unique units like soldiers, which means managing your staff to maximize R&D is going to be important. Not quite like the old games, but its something.

Still restricted to squads of 6, they still haven't expanded the class trees, and losing trained soldiers seems like it'll be as crippling as ever. Soldiers can now be given special training to grant them perks from other class trees, so hopefully the class system won't smother unit customization as much as it did in EU. My hope is that this'll allow rookies to replace dead veterans quicker but my gut tells me they'll squander this opportunity and the optimal way to use it is going to be pimping out your A team even further.

On the bright side they're introducing a system like Long War's fatigue, so hopefully the game will do a better job forcing players to train more than just an A and B team.

You can now plot your unit's exact movement path, so no more running into the fog to move from one side of a barricade to the other. Floors and ceilings can be destroyed now, too.

Since your units are a geurilla force you now have a stealth system where your enemies have limited LoS until you engage combat. Enemies also get reinforcements over time since you're on their turf. The only way to salvage resources from combat is to have your troops carry it home with you, since XCOM no longer has the manpower for clean-up squads.

All in all, if you didn't like XCOM:EU or EW, or even Long War, than this probably won't change your mind.
>>
>>320256485

It's only cheating if you're doing it to keep everyone alive and making sure you always get connecting shots. Hell, I only reload saves if the fucking AI is missing way more than an acceptable number of times
>>
File: 1443614559653.png (162 KB, 494x388) Image search: [Google]
1443614559653.png
162 KB, 494x388
I adore watching shitters reveal how bad at XCOM they are.
>>
>>320270565

Like who? OP is the only one being shit
>>
>>320254884
make your undercover operative an assault. if you run and gun up to a decoder you can still activate it once you get there. You should be able to control these levels completely with this advantage. Hell, I just completed one without even getting shot at. But I do play LW and flashbangs do help.
>>
>>320271267
>But I do play LW
Long War makes the King of the Hill missions a fucking breeze. Assaults and especially Sniper MECs would be able to fucking solo these missions together with the operative if it wasn't for ammo restrictions.

The other EXALT missions, however, are fucking impossible if you get a map with open sightlines.
>>
>>320262114
HEY

if you use the rockets, you can't retrieve the dead ayylmaos and we can never learn the truth of this god damn mess. So shape the fuck up, stop firing rockets you god damn middle school reject, pass his time blowing up drain pipes playing motherfucker!

-dr Vahlen
>>
>Outsider runs into what seems like open ground
>Full cover
Alright.
>>
>Watching Northernlion play on classic difficulty
He's finished the game before and he still doesn't know how to stop countries from panicking by doing the right abductions and rushing satellites. Even with taking advice from people he still ends up only getting a mech in, what, his 5th month? God bless, man. God bless.
>>
>>320271935
Fuck you Vahlen, I may as well put Shen in a turtleneck and let him run the research too.
>>
>>320265805
it's weird how the game feels like it's ok to lose a mission every now and then, and has mechanics that seem to scream in your face "JUST FUCKING RETREAT FOR THIS ONE" and at the same time the campaigns are balanced so that that's only ever an acceptable outcome on normal, maybe classic.
>>
File: carlsagan.jpg (68 KB, 800x557) Image search: [Google]
carlsagan.jpg
68 KB, 800x557
>>320253761
>FUCK
Stopped reading there
>>
>>320268382
I don't have much of a problem with 6 man squads (it would even make sense plot-wise, since this time XCOM probably has like 10% the manpower they used to) but i seriously hope they get rid of (or at least REALLY improve) the panic system.
Because you have such a small squad, one idiot going nuts and killing a fellow squad member will almost always mean an instaloss (and potentially ruin your 20+ hour ironman campaign).

>but soldiers could panic in the older games too

The older games also had 2535353 man squads, so it isn't remotely the same thing.
>>
>>320272114
>Bringing e-celeb shit into a video games thread.

Kill yourself, you underaged Redditor.
>>
>>320274315
I also watch Twitch streams.

And every night when you go to sleep I put my dick on your lips.
>>
>>320274441
You are what's wrong with this board. You're lower than the garbage that fills this site.
>>
>>320274572
Have you considered that you are unhappy with your life and your lashing out at people online is a poor way of venting your frustrations?

I recommend exercise. A good course of pushups will boost your mood, friend. And if not that perhaps you might enjoy a refinement of your diet.
>>
>>320274872
>Have you considered that you are unhappy with your life and your lashing out at people online is a poor way of venting your frustrations?

>I took a high school psych class!

Have you considered getting some friends instead of using youtube replacement friends and maybe even playing video games yourself? You must be one desperate motherfucker if you actually post a random e-celeb in a video games discussion thread as if people will know what you're talking about.
>>
>>320275080
Ya got me. But there's no need to be upset.

Imagine yourself upon a calm, warm blue ocean.
>>
File: mrclean.png (55 KB, 405x305) Image search: [Google]
mrclean.png
55 KB, 405x305
>>320253761
>>320253873
>>
>>320258290
Any decent mods for this?
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.