[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to play Tales of the Abyss. Should I play the PS2 or 3DS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
I want to play Tales of the Abyss. Should I play the PS2 or 3DS version?

Also, what other Tales games are worth playing? I'm currently almost done with Hearts R, and I played Symphonia on the Gamecube ages ago. Apparently Vesperia is good, but that's off the table because I'm not buying a 360 for one game.
>>
>>320166950
Either one. The 3DS version's graphics take a hit, but I prefer the mobility for RPG's that are as long as Tales.
>>
Do you want to play a good looking game on a large screen or a jaggy mess on a tiny little one?
>>
>>320167065
>480i game on a large television
>good looking
>>
bump? can OPs still not bump their own threads?
>>
>>320167920
>emulation
>>
PS2 emulated > 3DS > Actual PS2
>>
>>320168665
It doesn't actually emulate especially well compared to other PS2 JRPGs. It's not awful or unplayable or anything, but weaker systems that can do FFX/XII fine can struggle with TotA

>>320166950
The 3DS version is a straight port of the PS2 version. The only thing the PS2 version has over the 3DS port is you can open the disc tray to avoid random encounters on the world map.
>>
3DS has a small ass screen and looks slightly shittier but you can take that shit anywhere and I think the loading times are slightly better. I'd say emulate it unless you have a toaster.

I recommend Phantasia, it's old but still good, as long as you can adjust. Eternia is also a decent one, emulate that too if you can stand 2D Tales.

Destiny DC is also good, but that shit is not translated yet and the only option is to follow a translation guide for the main story. I'll assume you don't have a PS3 either so all of the PS3 Tales are out.
>>
File: 98.jpg (345 KB, 1296x972) Image search: [Google]
98.jpg
345 KB, 1296x972
>>320169139

It actually emulates very well, at most you'll have a split second of lag entering battle on a really weak machine.
>>
Just finished xillia 2.

What the fuck /v/, i thought i was going to get a happy good feel sequel, not suffering.

Also OP, play it on pc, 3ds version is shit compared to it.
There's also a big chance it will come to ps4 emulation in the near future.
>>
>>320169218
>I'll assume you don't have a PS3 either so all of the PS3 Tales are out.
I do, that's actually where I would be playing the PS2 version. Which PS3 games would you recommend? If it's Zestiria, I would play that on PC, though.
>>
>>320169605
GracesF, xillia 1 and 2 are all good though many people find xillia 1 a weak entry. (was rushed at the end)
>>
>>320166950
The only real downside of the 3DS version is it gets a little chuggy on parts of the world map, including the parts where the world map also functions as a dungeon.

Vesperia and the Xillia games are fun, and Graces F has a great battle system if you can get past the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP-tier story.
>>
>>320169951
>if you can get past the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP-tier story
Symphonia and Hearts R are all about that, so I just assumed every Tales game was going to be about the power of friendship.
>>
>>320170053
xillia 1 theme is "find your own path in life instead of following others paths"

xillia 2 theme is" life is full of hard choices it's up to you to choose" and has actual player agency in choosing responses in conversations etc, also has multiple endings.

graces f is just muh friendship
>>
>>320169605
Zestiria is hot garbage in my opinion, starts off nice but quickly drops the ball for almost everything.

The Xillias are kinda good, but they're very polarizing with people here, I say Xillia 1 is kinda weak while Xillia 2 improves on almost everything wrong with 1 but people will say the opposite with valid reasons.

Graces has a shit story and mostly shit characters but the combat system is fun as hell.

Vesperia is also on PS3 and has more content than the 360 version but sadly only in japanese. Same deal as Destiny DC, if you can be bothered to follow a translation guide, you can play through most of it just fine.
>>
>>320170521
Xillia 2 is the better game but sadly extremely limited by the fact that 90% of the content is recycled.

If they had put ludger and his whole situation in a whole actual new tales game i think it could have been way better.
>>
>>320166950
PS2 with a friend > Emulate, undub for voiced skits > PS2 original > 3DS
>>
File: JUST.png (527 KB, 724x571) Image search: [Google]
JUST.png
527 KB, 724x571
Just
>>
>>320170839
I would've just preferred if they had more new places and areas but still kept that connection to the first game. But you're right, most of the game being reused assets really limited it.
>>
Been thinking of picking up Hearts R but I have a feeling it'll be shit

what's the consensus, /v/?
>>
>>320173001
It's shit.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.