[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Games Journalism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: i-2dNqKRw-1050x10000.jpg (178 KB, 1050x526) Image search: [Google]
i-2dNqKRw-1050x10000.jpg
178 KB, 1050x526
Here is something that Jerry Holkins said about Games Journalism:

>There are people who walk on eggshells out of fear, but there is a second type of person who literally distributes eggshells for other people to walk on. Try to imagine how I feel about this second person, who is the negative space around which the exploratory, human work of creativity is allowed to take place.

>This is what I would tell you, and you can take this advice or not take it. Its truth is not dependent on your willingness to believe it, so your reaction isn’t super relevant. But goes like this: you will be an observer - that is to say, not a creator - forever, until the day you find a way to stop using creative people as a proxy for your own stunted drives. You can emerge from this cocoon you’ve made, or you can die inside it, half-formed.

Thoughts?
>>
That's a really fancy way of saying that games journalism is mostly tabloid.

What's the poimt of video game journalism? Is it because of journalists that developers have a weird celebrity status?
>>
So
>Journalists are people to incompetent to create something of value on their own, and some even go as far as to try to annoy masses so they annoy devs into making their games
Sounds about right. You gotta give props to Yathzee who as much of a faggot as he is, tries to make his own shitty games on the side even.
>>
>>320133049
>What's the poimt of video game journalism?
Originally, like most product journalism, it was a means of providing input when you needed to determine how to spend your money.

Some people try to hold onto that (like Jeff Gerstmann), but it has mostly fallen completely off to the San Francisco political crowd.
>>
>>320133220
At least with Yahtzee you know that he's just an entertainer. He's not out there slinging bullshit to make a profit, he's putting on a show.
>>
>>320133562
The fun part is that him and even Conan make better reviews than most "real journalists" generally.
>>
File: 1446494984537.png (42 KB, 493x213) Image search: [Google]
1446494984537.png
42 KB, 493x213
>>320133316
>but it has mostly fallen completely off to the San Francisco political crowd
I don't get why they push people like this so much, nobody outside of that circle thinks their games are good, or even games at all.
>>
>>320132695
Was this ABOUT games journalism? It seemed just about the world in general, desu.

It also seemed very understated and subtle, but to also still be fire and brimstone. Excoriating without shouting.
>>
File: 1210718314743.jpg (57 KB, 700x622) Image search: [Google]
1210718314743.jpg
57 KB, 700x622
>>320136894
It is. Here's the very first thing he says:
>Something I have been trying to figure out for a while is this weird inferiority complex some people who write about games seem to have about games. I’ve been thinking about it for ten years or so, and I only figured it out last night.

If you want to read the two other paragraphs I didn't post, you can see them here:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2015/12/11/validation-syndrome
>>
According to my twitter friends, Jerry and Mike are evil bigots and nothing they say has any value. If they criticize games journalism, that's just because they're GG scum and in bed with publishers because they need AAA to support PAX.

Sometimes I wonder why I made these people my twitter friends.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nY23NA25mM

GAMERGATE WILL PREVAIL
>>
File: 1426864012228.png (88 KB, 288x408) Image search: [Google]
1426864012228.png
88 KB, 288x408
>>320133316
It's the most thankless, pointless, shameful, superfluous job imaginable. It's about as prestigious and necessary as dog poop collector.

So the Femarxists decided to take it as a beachhead to use as a propaganda distribution point for critical theory.
>>
>>320138148
Presumably, so you could laugh at them.
>>
>>320135195
as a side note, i want to clarify something: it's not the SF political crowd, it's the tech-ified SF crowd. tech killed the city.
>>
>>320136894
It's about no one willing to try new things in case they end up being the target of the next gooby gabber hate campaign.
>>
File: 1438240868618.png (31 KB, 200x118) Image search: [Google]
1438240868618.png
31 KB, 200x118
>>320139135
>gamers indifferent to game content
>tolerate extremes of all kinds
>games for women and special interests have existed since basically the beginning of video games without complaint or issue
>suddenly polygon starts using Metacritic as a political bludgeon to Ebin Downvote games with pretty girls in them
>demands concessions from developers or it will write yellow journalism about how sexy girls with guns are causing thousands of rapes
>>
>>320139542

> her interactive

I fucking loved the Nancy Drew point and click games as a kid, man. Some of them freaked me the fuck out though.
>>
>>320138973
don't SF techies tend towards libertarian dudebroism?
>>
>>320139542
>game explores different sexualities
>goobergate cries and tries to destroy the developer
>game explores different genres
>game gives characters sensible armor
>game thinks certain dialogue may offend people and removes it

People can bounce back from a low review score. They can't bounce back from having their entire lives destroyed by an internet hate group.
>>
>>320135195
>I want fake good reviews and ez monnies even if my game is shit : the post
>>
>>320140260
>destroys reputation of game institutions with mental disordered hypersensitivity
>takes everything personally and projects mental disorder onto reality
>advocates censorship
>demands censorship
>complains about retaliation

Daily reminder, no one has died or disappeared as a result of GamerGate. NO ONE.

Death/injury toll of this GamerGate activism: 0.

Meanwhile, American McGee's sister was abducted by an SJW and is still missing.

SJW are the real terrorists. GamerGate just wants to preserve freedom of expression.
>>
>>320140260
your bait is too strong for me, sempai

>>320141016
There was that guy who was assaulted and driven out of his house by some chicks because he supported goobergate.
>>
File: 4712980-6863565235-74d.j[1].jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
4712980-6863565235-74d.j[1].jpg
18 KB, 500x500
>>320140260
>>
>>320140260
>mangles the name of the group to show how little they care about it
>talks about the group all the time to show how little they care about it
>wonders why people judge them as neurotic

FWIW if you can't even use the proper name it just conveys you have the mentality of a second-grader or a Harry Potter fanatic
>>
>>320141016
>American McGee's sister was abducted by an SJW
Isn't McGee's family a bunch of white trash hippie meth addicts? More likely it was just an ex-boyfriend who did it.

>>320141803
On twitter if you say "gamergate" it's like saying "Beetlejuice", they're going to come and you'll never get rid of them.

So people got used to calling them gibbergoobers or whatever.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.