[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this shit being pushed so hard in the States? Its clearly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 8
File: logo-yo-kai-watch@2x[1].png (540 KB, 874x991) Image search: [Google]
logo-yo-kai-watch@2x[1].png
540 KB, 874x991
Why is this shit being pushed so hard in the States?

Its clearly too japanese for the US audience and kids are too busy playing CoD and Battlefield.
>>
Because common is losing momentum and they need something to fill it's niche with a new audience of young people.
>>
The anime is tanking on Disney, the game doesn't even chart on the NPD. I don't know why NoA is pushing this shit so hard.
>>
First time I've ever heard of it. Are you a fucking middle school kid who sees this advertised on Cartoon Network or something after you come home for school??
>>
>>320132117
>common
Meant pokemon.
>>
>>320132275
Believe it or not, there are manchildren out there that still watch cartoons.
>>
This is some prime autism. Maybe you kiddies should go play some Video Games, instead of spending your time whining over something so petty.
>>
They should just push Fire Emblem more
>>
>>320131393
pokemon is a shell of what it used to be, and they want yokai watch to be another cashcow like it is in japan.
>>
>they can localize this, but not Mother 3
>>
>>320131393
They are probably pushing it too hard. Trying to come to it more naturally might have been a little better, or maybe even just leaving the game to be a tad more Japanese, but it's just something that could never ring to true here because it is so steeped in that folklore.
>>
>>320132117
Pokemon nees to restructure its progression system. I'm guessing the chances of the next game dealing with the player completing 8 gyms while fighting off an organization bent on controlling the world are somewhere near 100%.
>>
I think is more suited for EU.

I can see the franchise being popular on Spain or France.
>>
>>320132787
>implying it's not coming
Telling you, it's gonna get localized any day now with a stealth release. It's gotta.
>>
>>320132883
Spain is into this sort of thing?
>>
>>320132392
Probably those same manchildren that still play videogames.
>>
>>320132909
I'm just hoping for another Mother 1 situation where it's randomly dropped in a direct.
>>
>>320133070
no they play football games too like the rest of the world

or cod
>>
They should have changed the name to Ghost Watch or some shit like that

But then again this is the same Company that thought "Wii U" was a good console name
>>
far as i can tell that shit is tanking hard.

it's too japanese and even then they are localizing it so it's not really Japan and he's not Keita he's Steven or some shit.

the only news Yokai Watch gotten was censorship. and that's a killer of merchandise in the western world.

it'll be doomed before we get the third game and localization of the show will be shitcanned
>>
>>320132187
>The anime is tanking on Disney
The 4kids style of localization probably isn't helping. Skipping plot points doesnt keep ADD kids interested, it just confuses everyone.
>>
>>320131393
I don't like it.

There's not many yokais I can fap to, unlike pokemon.
Gameplay is trash, also.
>>
>>320133236
>Show is localized so sushi is pizza and jap kids are white or latino kids.
>Yokai is Yokai

i see your point. why try when you won't even change your name first.
>>
>>320133214
But CoD is for children and football games are for casuals and empty minded bros.
>>
>>320133502
you have found the major audience of video games in general. You deserve a gold star.
>>
>Disney

OH HEY I THINK I FOUND YOUR ANSWER.

They're trying to be the new pokemon killer, failling to realize that's just like an MMO trying to be the WoW killer.

Disney just has the violent amount of disposable income to shill it fucking everywhere. Plus they probably did that old trick that American animation companies do, where they buy a Japanese anime for literally next to nothing, pay a dub crew to localize it, and release it fucking everywhere.

I'm talking out my ass and don't have enough passion to look up if that's true, though, before you give me a bunch of (You)'s on that.
>>
>>320132909
>>320132787
>>320133190
>wanting a censored mother 3 translation
Everyone that wanted to play it has already played the superior translation
>>
>>320133392
>Gameplay is trash, also.
This is the one thing keeping me away. It's just not that engaging, or at least not in a satisfying way. The battle system is just terrible.
>>
>>320133718
the gameplay can be widdled down to tap and spin.

i woulda loved maybe menus or other forms of gameplay but nope. tap this, spin that.
>>
>>320133351
>that fucking episode with the farting yokai

jesus fucking christ, they've gone past 4kids tier dubbing.

it's an abomination
>>
>>320133635
Aside from making the trannies just ugly women or something, what would they bother to change?
>>
Bandai knew it wouldn't do well over here, so they didn't bother.
Hasbro thought they knew better, and pushed as hard as they could to get this shit jump started in the west.
Bet Bandai's got a big "I told you so." ready for Hasbro.
>>
>>320132883
EU here, Level 5 games sell really good here for some reason. I wouldn't be surprised if we got the second games here and the US didn't, a la Inazuma Eleven
>>320133802
the demo is shit, watch some actual gameplay of the full game on youtube. There's a lot of resource management and team building required.
>>
>>320133901
Everything? Do you genuinely think anything involving the themes in Mother would get past NoA?
>>
>>320131393
>Why is this shit being pushed so hard in the States?

because they know it's not going to sell well with normal amounts of "marketing"
>>
>>320133901
the game already seen changes before its release so the ending isn't so twisted and dark.

but i dunno if were talking about editing the rom for commerical release i would probably point to the Oscar Mayer Pig.
>>
>>320131393
I don't see why this is a problem?
>>
>>320133947
>watch some actual gameplay
lol the game is the same 3 fucking minigames over and over again. God this game is clearly intended for braindead kids
>>
Wasn't it outselling Pokemon in Japan?
>>
>>320133947
i don't watch youtube for game vids man. I can't stand most streamers and it also ruins the chance that i will play the game at all.

I'm still vaguely interested in it as a butterfly catcher sim. Animal Crossing was my time waster.
>>
>>320133935
How is Hasbro involved in this?
>>
>>320131393
I don't know but I swear to god if another ad for this shit comes on in a movie theatre I'm going to set it on fire
>>
>>320133984
>themes in mother 3 involve Fat pride being bad, TV being bad, and other "american values"

game was not released because it goes against american culture, obviously.
>>
>>320133947
>Level 5 games sell really good here for some reason.
They base a lot of their art on EU style art so I'm not terribly surprised.
>>
File: laughing cry.jpg (81 KB, 451x392) Image search: [Google]
laughing cry.jpg
81 KB, 451x392
>>320133420
Wait, so they went full EAT YOUR HAMBURGERS APOLLO but KEPT the name "Yokai?"

Holy shit
>>
>>320131393
Kids of 6-8 years ago are playing shooters, but kids today aren't.
>>
>>320132187
>anime is tanking on Disney

Damn shame. I haven't seen the dub, but the original version is pretty good. Easy going show with fun gags and the power of brute force and friendship.
>>
>>320134129
I'm sure there's some gameplay vids without commentary or stuff like that
was just warning you that the demo only has like 2 elements of battles unlocked, so it's way more simple than in the actual game.
>>
>>320134364
i remember watching episode 2 bothed subbed and dubbed. it introduced a Kappa.

Japanese
"I-I like to eat Sushi"
"I thought Kappas eat cucumbers"
"I like to try different things"

American
"I-I Love Pizza, Dude!"
"But I thought Kappas ate Cucumbers"
"That's Stereotyping, Bro!"

I can't make this dumb shit up.
>>
>>320134369
Yeah they are. Well, GTA and CSGO/TF2, depending on the memelord youtuber trending
>>
File: 1375523302119.jpg (44 KB, 352x389) Image search: [Google]
1375523302119.jpg
44 KB, 352x389
You know, I want a to see Yo-kai Watch 2, seems like a better game. I'm not saying the first game is bad, either. But I am upset that they may never release it in the West, ever.
>>
This game looks gay as fuck. How are people old enough to use the internet without their parents' supervision interested in this garbage?
>>
>>320134531
The dub is shit. SHIT!
>>
>>320133236
>>320134364

>Ghost Watch
Jesus Christ, Yo-kai are not ghosts.
>>
>>320134603
but why
it's a Kappa
it's already a Japanese name and a Japanese creatures
even little kids know what Sushi is, even more than Kappas
>>
>>320134739
Alright weeb calm down
>>
>>320134603
What's wrong with that? The way people are talking I would have thought they'd rename the Kappa to a turtle mutant and have it start rapping.
>>
>>320134739
spirits, ghosts, same shit
>>
>>320134805
the dub pushes a whole cool surfer of social justice on the guy, which is something i cannot explain he's a chill guy from the anime, if only boring.
>>
>>320134739
Not important to the west.
>>
>>320134531
Don't

Don't even watch the dub, it will ruin whatever you liked with the original version

We're talking worse than 4kids
>>
>>320134919
he actually does rap with other kappas in like one of the recent episodes.

you don't know how much western culture is already in Yokai Watch. the problem is Westerners won't get the Japanese parts of the show as well.
>>
>>320134937
>creature that rapes women and kills little kids
>and snacks on anuses
>social justice
what the fuck
I mean, it's not like it already was a faithful recreation, but it's really ironic
>>
>>320134739
>he actually unironically played Yokai watch
why
>>
>>320133502
>competitive games like cod and fifa
>casual
Ah to be an ignorant nintendrone
>>
>>320131393
Looks like lame kiddie shit, probably gonna end up forgotten like digimon
>>
>>320133236
Nintendo didn't even publish the Japanese version.
>>
>>320134919
Thats the problem. They're trying too hard to be relevant. Even kids are wise to that level of bullshit.
>>
>>320134280
No it was not released because of money.
But even if they were to release it, they 'd have censored it
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 410x231) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 410x231
>>320131393
NoA's run by monkies, we've been over this.
>Xenoblade drops in States
>game clearly inspired by Star Wars, among other things, chock full of American stuff and sci-fi lover wet dreams so close to Star Wars release
>NOPE, LET'S JUST RELEASE THIS SUPER JAPANESE 3RD PARTY SMARTPHONE GAME AND PUSH IT INSTEAD AS THE POKEMON KILLER
>#YOKAIISWHY
The failure will never cease to amuse me. I really hope someone got fired over this.
>>
>>320134603
>"I-I Love Pizza, Dude!"
>"But I thought Kappas ate Cucumbers"
>"Haha yeah,I browse twitch too!"
>>
>>320135395
kek'd
>>
>>320131393

HE MADE A POO POO IN THE TOLIET AND IT MADE A BIG STINK
>>
>>320135395
i shrugged when i didn't get this at first, but then shuddered when i realized they spam an emote there constantly.
>>
>>320131393
Honestly, I'm glad the game didn't sell so well. Because now I can use this game as an counter-example to all the idiots claiming that advertising a game will make it successful.
>>
>>320135614
the advertisement campaign is pretty damn similar to "This game stinks" earthbound ads.

and history repeats.
>>
>>320135159
Oh you.
>>
>>320135614
>>320135734
There must be some hardcore nepotism at NoA since they regularly have blunders like this in advertising.
>>
It's actually a good game, guys. The combat is much, much better than Pokémon, the exploration is a thousand times better, graphics are better, just about everything about it is better than Pokémon. And it's a good game on its own. Give it a chance, really.

It makes me really sad that it's not selling as well, I really want to play the second game. I'd play it in Japanese, no problem with that, but regionlock and living in a 3rd world country sucks.
>>
>>320135850
NoA needs to understand their games that sell makes memes, they can't sell memes to make sales.

the Whole Wii U is a blunder. NoA just part of a bigger problem inside the company of not getting it.
>>
>>320135614
>>320135734

I said it many times and I'll say it again.

CHEEKSQUEAK
KILLED
SALES

no don't push the mascots like Jibanyon or the cooler ninja, lion, or fighter Yokai NO THIS ASS FARTING YOKAI IS GOING TO MAKE US THIS BANK

NoA is fucking retarded.
>>
>>320135912
Where are examples of better games being more popular, because I don't know any
>>
>>320135995

>they can't sell memes

YOU'RE A KID NOW YOU'RE A SQUID NOW
>>
File: agatha christie.jpg (348 KB, 2085x2195) Image search: [Google]
agatha christie.jpg
348 KB, 2085x2195
>>320134739
You're missing the point, weeaboo

If NoA is going to localize Yokai Watch to the point of naming Keita "Nate", Fumika "Katie", and changing sushi to "Hamburgers and Pizza", then they shouldn't have the name be called "Yokai"

One of the reasons Pokemon worked in english is because Pokemon easily translated to "Pocket Monster"

What the fuck does "Yokai" mean to a five year old american kid?

It means NOTHING
>>
>>320136024
They had to change the intro of the dub after 9 episodes because CHEEKSQUEAK AND HIS POPO was such a great line to start us with right?
>>
>>320136171
Splatoon had lolis, you already have an audience.
>>
>>320136024
>Googled "Cheeksqueak"
>Saw an image of it and the commercial for it

I don't know what I expected.
>>
>>320136171
i didn't buy that game because of the horrible advertising campaign. i bought it cause i was interested from gameplay footage.
>>
>>320136186
Pokémon is literally an abbreviation of pocket monsters but most kids neither knew nor cared. It wasn't called Pocket Monsters in the West.
>>
>>320136281
I want Cheeksqueak used in a Bill and Reggie advert.

literally just for cringe and second hand embarrassment.
>>
>>320136312
I didn't buy it because no online off-tv play.
I don't have a TV for my Wii-U, so I only buy games with off-TV play.
>>
>>320136186
It is called Pokèmon in Japan too.
>>
>>320136521

they advertised that they were monsters that fit in your pocket constantly.

you had to be either a parent or an idiot to not realize that pokemon was an abbreviation
>>
File: latest[2].jpg (119 KB, 820x800) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].jpg
119 KB, 820x800
Seriously? It's literally a farting ass? This is what you incredible autistlords are watching these days?

Yall should kill yourselves. Seriously. End it.
>>
>>320134603
Thats not that bad.
>>
>>320134280
That wasn't even the theme of the game
>>
>>320136872
and it has a little swirly turd on its head too
>>
>>320136872
>Cheeksqueak's episode

Never have I had second hand embarrassment from a TV show before
>>
>>320136860
No one abbreviates like that outside of Japan. And when English is also your second language, Pokémon is just gibberish.
>>
>>320136606
going offtopic here but you should probably get a cheap sub 20inch screen. they're cheap around this time. Splatoon was really fun for me. really worth me getting a 19inch of my own cause i had a Wii U without a TV for a while.
>>
>>320137423
Soon. I'm getting one for Xenoblade Chronicles X, and with whatever Xmax funds I likely am getting from family, i'll buy Splatoon. Found a good one for 100bux.
>>
>>320136872
I just saw the advertising so I could understand what was going on in this thread

How anyone could think that would push sales baffles me.
>>
>>320136872
This is what you get when the "collectible monster battling" genre has finally reached the bottom of the barrel.
>>
>>320135153

it was fun
>>
>>320134081

For a bit. Pokémon quickly regained it's throne though.
>>
>>320136872
imagine instead of ass you got Insomnia

"Don't stay up too late playing Yokai Watch™ with Insomnia around"

it wouldn't be so dead in the water if they picked her over an ass.
>>
because japanese mysticism is kind of neat

and kyuubi is top-tier furbait when 63'd
>>
File: japtoons.jpg (73 KB, 512x600) Image search: [Google]
japtoons.jpg
73 KB, 512x600
>>320132859
Don't you see, that's their plan all along. Kids will eat anything you push on them hard enough. So they are going to push the most Japanese shit they can. And what do you think those kids will be like when they grow up? I can give you a hint, they'll be really versed and comfortable with Japanese culture.
What do we call someone who grew up surrounded by Japanese culture? That's right, Japanese.
Japan is making our kids Japanese. The west will die and the world will become part of Japan. If you can't win a fight, use poison; that's their strategy.
Resist the samurai!
>>
File: yokai watch.jpg (229 KB, 1200x719) Image search: [Google]
yokai watch.jpg
229 KB, 1200x719
>>320131393

If this was translated into spanish/portuguese with original audio it would make success in latin america as well. Kids here are into anime, so it would appeal to them. But NoA being NoA will release it here English only (with Cringe worthy english dubs)
>>
Kids are into Skylanders, FPS, and Minecraft from what I've heard. This game has nothing to appeal to the current kid population.
>>
>>320134081
It bombed because the yokai watch they were selling wasn't compatible with new yokai so you had to keep buying new watches. Killed themself desu
>>
>>320139093
Kids in america at least are bombarded by things like star wars and seseme street that there is no way they can see every flavor of 2015. they're just too dumb to care.
>>
All kids in America from age 5 & up care about are first person shooters, minecraft & youtube. Nobody watches TV, they watch youtube on their ipads. The people in charge these days with corporations are so out of touch.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.