[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
rec thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: dishonored.jpg (164 KB, 1300x731) Image search: [Google]
dishonored.jpg
164 KB, 1300x731
more like this?

Also, not going to scum off and not contribute to thread.
>>
Thief, it's like dishonored but not shit.
>>
>>320102562
This is my favourite game series but honestly I thought Dishonored was pretty fun. It's a bit easy and a bit short but all round fun.
>>
>>320102562
>but not shit
except dishonored is great so that point is null
>>320103457
first thief is pretty easy compared to others i've heard, maybe it'll be the same for dishonored.

Dishonored is short yes, but I don't feel like it over stayed its welcome, which often happens to me in long games.
>>
>>320103939
>first thief is pretty easy compared to others i've heard
I found Thief 1 to be more difficult than Thief 2. Especially with the labyrinthine levels, vague maps (Thief 2 maps are usually quite specific) and the ways in which the levels were designed which often feels like it's almost forcing you into enemy encounters.

I really wish Dishonored had more levels but what was there, I really enjoyed. I don't see why it's compared to Thief so much when it feels an awful lot more like Deus Ex mixed with Dark Messiah and Half Life 2's aesthetic.
>>
>>320105031
Deus Ex and to a lesser degree Dark Messiah themselves were heavily inspired by the things Looking Glass studios was doing with Thief, System Shock, and Ultima Underworld. It helps that a lot of the world building and lore parallels Thief's (religious factions trying to snuff out the Trickster/Outsider's influence, ancient city buried under the current one, assassins in Dishonored reciting lines from Thief's tutorial, Brigmore witches are a similar design and character to Viktoria, second game sees an advance in technology that sees the introduction of robot guards with distinctly detailed faces, bunch of other stuff I can't remember immediately).

And I seem to remember Gameinformer mentioning Thief in its initial reveal of the game.
Then the trailers and gameplay videos advertised it as an action game and people still expected Thief 4 for some reason.You're right the gameplay is more like Deus Ex.
>>
Splinter Cell is not terribly like it but holds a lot of the same stealth concepts.
>>
>>320107217
That said some of Thief's developers even said that Dishonored is the game most similar to what they were doing since Deus Ex. So play Thief and Deus Ex.
>>
>>320105031
>I don't see why it's compared to Thief so much
Because of the advertising when the game was in the pipelines. All of the advertisements and gameplay features etc. were focused around stealth, leading people to believe the game was first and foremost a stealth game, which it clearly was not when it came out. It disappointed a shitload of people who still remember it as just being an extremely subpar stealth game.
>>
>>320107534
Maybe it was this false advertising that made a lot of people angry with Dishonored. I didn't really follow the press releases before it came out and only got around to it half a year ago. Enjoyed it immensely, but then again I wasn't expecting anything Thiefesque.

I hope Arkane learns from its mistakes and makes Dishonored 2 better.
>>
>>320107534
>All of the advertisements and gameplay features etc. were focused around stealth
This is not true and I have no idea where people got this idea. Look up Dishonored's trailers, almost all of them show an action game with an option to sneak around. And I remember when they put out the "main" gameplay videos of the Golden Cat, they had separate videos for stealth and action takes on it.
>>
>>320107781
I clearly remember dev logs talking on and on about the stealth, about the myriad of ways the player could work through a level, all the non-combat and non-lethal shit. In the end it was just terribly unsatisdying to play it that way, since the lethal, action-y style of play just felt so much better and had more options.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.