[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Between Arkham Asylum, City, Origins and Knight, what can we
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 14
Between Arkham Asylum, City, Origins and Knight, what can we say is the definitive best Batman game?
>>
>>320088571
They're almost all the same exact game
>>
>>320088571
Origins.
>>
City
>>
Asylum>Knight>City>>>Origins
>>
File: riwoa.jpg (231 KB, 611x761) Image search: [Google]
riwoa.jpg
231 KB, 611x761
>>320088571
>Asylum
City was great, Knight was good but had a 6/10 story, you can shove Origins right into the trash
>>
>>320088571
To me as a batman fan, Asylum by far. As a game in general, probably City. Haven't played knight but origins was meh.
>>
Arkham City
>>
File: batmanreturns-snes.jpg (94 KB, 640x472) Image search: [Google]
batmanreturns-snes.jpg
94 KB, 640x472
>>
>>320088571
>Not the NES version with that amazing Gotham Plaza song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgt8mi46Lqo
>>
Asylum, everything else is subpar.
>>
>>320088571
City
>>
Asylum = Knight > City >>> Origins >>>>> Blackgate
>>
>>320089249
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnHI7zZ4EQ8
>>
>>320089249
winnar
>>
>>320088571
Knight wasn't all that bad. Some elements of the story were contrived, but I liked how they left the ending open to speculation.

imo.

City>Knight>Asylum>Origins>Blackgate
>>
>>320088571
City > Knight > Asylum > Origins > Blackgate
>>
>>320088571
Asylum=City > everything else because the combat became boring as many games exploited the same formula adding not only the fact that Origins was a piece of garbage and made me uninstall after the fight with Slade.
>>
>>320088571
I liked City more than the others but all of them are alright, haven't played Knight and Blackgate though. Also it was a shame that Origins did not had as many easter eggs as Asylum or City.
>>
>>320088571
I haven't played Knight yet, but as far as combat and stealth sections Origins was a lot of fun, despite the fact that the villains were overall less interesting than the ones in Asylum/City.
>>
>>320088847
This is the only true answer. Frankly I can hardly believe anyone says otherwise.
>>
>>320088571
Origins>City>Asylum>Knight
>>
File: batmanrage.jpg (234 KB, 954x897) Image search: [Google]
batmanrage.jpg
234 KB, 954x897
>all these plebeians ranking Knight just below City and above Asylum
>>
File: kana_sage wisdom.png (894 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kana_sage wisdom.png
894 KB, 1280x720
>>320088571
Knight>City>Asylum>Origins
>>
>Knight
>not the worst Arkham game

Even Origins was better than that shit
>>
In terms of gameplay: Origins
In terms of story: Origins
In terms of graphics: Knight
>>
I like Asylum the most. I don't care for the open world setting the rest of them have.
>>
>>320090578
>Origins
>the definitive Batman vidya story
>>
>>320090578
Origins' gameplay is sloppy as fuck.
>>
>>320090424
While I respect your opinion I don't know how Origins can be better than Asylum or City, I know it has a bigger city but it's empty as fuck and the story is pretty lame.

>>320090578
I grant that the combat feels a little bit tighter but the story was not even good (lol it's-a me the Joker who is behind everything!!)
>>
>>320090579
I absolutely love the open world stuff, but Asylum captures the essence of Batman a lot better, and feels higher quality overall. I think City could have been better without the somewhat poor artistic choices in and around certain areas like the police station. It seemed out of place.
>>
>>320090719
How so?
It feels exactly the same as the others, except you have different gadgets.
>>
Is the No Man's Land comic any good? I've been meaning to read it just because I loved Arkham City.
>>
>>320090839
Most people wrote off Origin's combat in the first week of release where it was broken and glitchy as fuck
>>
File: BlackBatUnmask.jpg (318 KB, 1096x1195) Image search: [Google]
BlackBatUnmask.jpg
318 KB, 1096x1195
>>320090936
It introduces best Batgirl so yes
>>
>>320090839
It's hard to describe, just doesn't feel put together as well. It's like WB took Rocksteady's animations, but didn't apply any of Rocksteady's polish. Not to mention it's glitchier.

>>320090939
I didn't play Origins until a year or so after it came out, it was still glitchiest game in the series by a long shot.
>>
>>320088571
City
>>
>>320090706
>no Harley
>no Bane
>no Riddler
>>
File: joker popcorn.gif (37 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
joker popcorn.gif
37 KB, 100x100
>>320091242
>he hasn't seen Batman's Rashomon episode
>>
>>320091058
>It's like WB took Rocksteady's animations, but didn't apply any of Rocksteady's polish.

I'll have to replay City and then get back to you m8, I just recently finished Origins and I thought it was perfectly fine. I'll also miss the Glue Grenade and hanging thugs using the Remote Claw.
>>
>>320088571
In terms of narrative and atmosphere, Arkham Asylum.

In terms of gameplay and feeling like the caped crusader protecting his city, Arkham City.

Origins is just City re-skin set in the past, and Arkham Knight was underwhelming but pretty to look at.
>>
>>320091456
I don't think Origins is a bad game, but I do think every other game in the series is better than it, even in terms of story. It was doing something interesting at first with Black Mask, but then it just turns into another Joker story.
>>
>gimme that classic BTAS atmosphere
Play Asylum
>gimme more BTAS you fuck MORE
Play City
>christmas comfy winter feel?
Play Origins
>I want to drive batmobile and shit
Play Knight
>>
>>320091656
Fair enough.
That Joker thing pissed me off too; he's a cool villain but fucking enough already.
>>
File: 1376682379034.gif (141 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1376682379034.gif
141 KB, 500x400
>There are people in this thread that actually think Knight isn't the best-playing game in the franchise
>>
>>320091913
>no bosses like in the previous games
>batmobile hurr xD
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>320091913
It's not. Combat isn't as smooth as City and there are no fucking challenge maps. Half the gameplay is a tps.
>>
>>320091728
>christmas comfy winter feel?
Beating the shit out of Joker to Hark of the Bells was pretty satisfying.
>>
>>320092021
The worst offender is that not even the Batmobile is good, it's that shitty tank model that everyone likes after the second Batman movie with Bale.
>>
>>320092021
>no bosses
Okay, but these games rarely do bosses well in the first place, outside of Mr. Freeze and maybe Deathstroke in Origins.

>batmobile
Which is admittedly forced in some instances but is still complementary to the gameplay. To hammer this point home, Knight continues to upgrade the glide mechanics, on top of City, and as such gliding continues to be the easiest way to travel.

>>320092041
>Combat isn't as smooth as City
Yes it is.

>there are no fucking challenge maps.
Granted, but that's not a gameplay thing, that's a content thing. The watered down Challenge Mode is the only thing Knight lacks compared to City.

>Half the gameplay is a tps.
Only if you want it to be.
>>
Asylum = Comicfags
City = Moviefags
Knight = Videogamefags
Origins = That one chick who just likes to wear batman hot topic clothing
>>
City and Origins.
>>
>>320092401
>Yes it is.
No it isn't. The freeflow doesn't flow as well especially since they casualized half the quickfire gadgets.
>Only if you want it to be.
Did you miss the part where you literally can't leave the batmobile for a significant portion of the story?
>>
>>320092430
Switch Knight and City and you got a perfect list
>>
>>320092430
>city = moviefags
I think you got it wrong, lad. City is also comics. Now KNIGHT = moviefags.
>>
>>320088571
lego batman shit on all those fucking dudebro games you queer cunt
>>
City. Origins if the game was more focused and not just putting things randomly
>>
>>320092545
>No it isn't. The freeflow doesn't flow as well especially since they casualized half the quickfire gadgets.

Yes, it is. Now, I want you to actually explain what you mean by "casualizing the quickfire gadgets," because as it stands that doesn't mean anything.

>Did you miss the part where you literally can't leave the batmobile for a significant portion of the story?
You and I have different definitions of "significant." There are a couple Batmobile bosses, and of course the gas section, that's what I remember, feel free to remind me of others.
>>
File: i like you.jpg (69 KB, 360x500) Image search: [Google]
i like you.jpg
69 KB, 360x500
>>320092675
>>
>>320092617
>>320092647
>>320092430
Asylum = Dark Halloweenfags
City = Hushfags

prove me wrong
>>
>>320092812
>thought Hush would be Batman in AK and Bruce would be Arkham Knight
missed opportunity
>>
File: 91mnj81DPQL._SL1500_[1].jpg (339 KB, 1096x1500) Image search: [Google]
91mnj81DPQL._SL1500_[1].jpg
339 KB, 1096x1500
>>320088571
>not posting best Batman game
>>
Knight>City=Origins>Asylum
>>
Knight GOTY edition when?
>>
>>320092760
>explain what you mean by "casualizing the quickfire gadgets
Quickfire explosive explodes on its own, you can't set it and lure enemies to it during combat anymore.
Thugs charge at you now, throwing a batarang is an ohko.
The electric gauntlets let you mash the X button to kill anything regardless of defenses.
You can use enemy weapons, which also conveniently ignore their defenses.
>You and I have different definitions of "significant"
>bosses
>not significant
Hell you can't even go to GCPD without the Batmobile.
>>
>>320088571
Asylum had the best setting
City had the best bosses and lore
Origins had the best Joker
Knight made you feel the most like Batman
>>
Asylum, it was somewhat linear, but captured the best elements of Batman and its villains; Knight was alright, but just felt like bogged down under all the weight of the content and story it was attempting to shove down your throat, case and point, the batmobile and how pointless it was and how much like ass it handled.
>>
Knight was the only game that didn't disappoint me this year.
>>
>>320092401
To be fair Knight was really lacking in bosses compared to the other games. Two similar tank bosses is not fun. Also last boss cutscenes are annoying as fuck.
>>
>>320088571
city, easy
>>
Great, an Arkham thread.

All the games have their pros and cons.
>Asylum has a nice dark setting, but worse gameplay overall.
>City addons for the gameplay are huge in comparation to Asylum, in every departament (combat, stealth, Riddler shit, bosses). Has almost no important cons IMO.
>Origins bosses are good (except for Sheva and Deadshot) and some addons were good too, like the martial artists and the Big Guys (mini-Banes and the litteral big guys). But unfortunaly, was a missed oportunity: they should have played more with the concept of rookie Batman, instead of doing Arkham City 1.5.
>Knight has the batmobile (i'm one of the few who love it), best crowd fights (both brawl and stealth) but 2nd worst bossfights (being worst the ones in Asylum).

So, WB should take notes of all games in this series, and make the definitive and perfect Batman game, with:
>The whole Gotham City. Not evacuated and with random things happening in it.
>Improved, less automatic free-flow combat (at least for some very hard mode, they don't want to scare casuals). The combat system by itself is a good idea, but it can be better executed.
>My biggest two complaints about stealth are: gargoyles (they almost disappeared in Knight, thank God) and those few scenes in all games where Batman enters through the main door (isn't supposed the guards should be watching it?). Without those two things, the stealth would be god-tier.
>More detective work, with actual puzzles.
>>
>>320089249
>>320092936
This is neo-/v/. Most people on this board have probably never played either of those.
>>
>>320094524
I'm 26 and I never played either of those.
>>
>>320093479
>Quickfire explosive explodes on its own, you can't set it and lure enemies to it during combat anymore.
That's just different, I don't know that I'd call it worse. Personally I liked the change, the way the quickfire explosive gel worked in City was awkward. Also I'm going to counter your point by mentioning that they also expanded the quickfire functionality in general, i.e. being able to use it while gliding.

>The electric gauntlets let you mash the X button to kill anything regardless of defenses.
They aren't in Arkham Knight, unless you count being able to stare at them in the evidence room.

>You can use enemy weapons, which also conveniently ignore their defenses.
For a few hits. But first of all, this isn't a quickfire gadget thing. And second of all, so what? What makes you think the average mook knows how to parry a baseball bat? They can dish it out, doesn't mean they can take it.

>Thugs charge at you now, throwing a batarang is an ohko.
That's better, they're more aggressive. And yes it's a OHKO, but that doesn't matter as much when you're regularly facing a lot more enemies than you did on average in City. AK has encounters on roughly the same scale as Origins.

>bosses
>not significant
If you're talking in terms of quantity of gameplay (which I assumed you were since you said "significant portion"), they're not.

>Hell you can't even go to GCPD without the Batmobile.
That's an interesting point.

>>320094123
Oh, definitely. Knight could definitely have done bosses better, but that's something you could really say about the franchise as whole. It's never been good at boss battles, and singling Knight out for it just seems kinda lame.
>>
>>320094524
I played this
>>
>>320088571
Any order you want, but Origins in shit.
>>
>>320094636
>What makes you think the average mook knows how to parry a baseball bat
The average mook can dodge a quickfire batclaw and, and even the armored and brute ones that can take Batman's best punches and Robin's own staff are somehow weak to a shitty police baton.
I forgot to mention the batmobile. Having it nearby makes the combat even easier since you don't even have to wait as long before you can takedown enemies. Or just hop in the car and shoot them all.

>you're regularly facing a lot more enemies than you did on average in City
Challenge maps have way more enemies than any encounter in Knight. Knight had to up the number of enemies precisely because they made the combat so much easier.
>>
So when did the whole Batman doesn't kill people thing start?
I haven't actually read Batman comics in a long time.
>>
>>320095197
You're like 50 years late
>>
>>320095197
>Batman doesn't kill people
>Criminals go free and continue killing people
>Batman by proxy has killed thousands due to not killing criminals

How the fuck does this guy justify his actions?
>>
>>320095197
Thanks to the CCA.
It actually made him a much more interesting character.
>>320095553
>How the fuck does this guy justify his actions?
That's a good question, pretty central to the character.
>>
>>320095138
>The average mook can dodge a quickfire batclaw and, and even the armored and brute ones that can take Batman's best punches and Robin's own staff are somehow weak to a shitty police baton.
You're surprised that a taser is more effective against armor than a punch? And I think the batclaw dodging thing is a different matter, but it would be really getting into the weeds to explain why so I'll just grant you that.

>I forgot to mention the batmobile. Having it nearby makes the combat even easier since you don't even have to wait as long before you can takedown enemies. Or just hop in the car and shoot them all.
Well sure, that's just a fun extra option you have available to you in the open world. But you gotta remember you're not always in the open world. I guess that's what I liked about AK the most. Just like City, it gave you more options. I guess you could say some of these options make life easier, but you're playing as Batman, taking out a bunch of thugs isn't supposed to be difficult, any way you spin it. It wasn't in City, it wasn't in Asylum, it's not in Knight either. But it is fun.

>Challenge maps have way more enemies than any encounter in Knight. Knight had to up the number of enemies precisely because they made the combat so much easier.
Okay? I'm not really sure what this does for your argument. Challenge maps have more enemies because they're challenge maps. You could infer that Knight is offloading that challenge into the main game, but I don't see how that's a bad thing.
>>
>>320095553

The courts are at fault just as much. Things would be much simpler if they gave Joker and whoever else the death penalty. Despite the insanity plea, I doubt anyone would throw a fit.
>>
>>320095912
Pfft, Gotham is corrupt as shit and Batman damn well knows this. You'd think that after the 10th escape it would be sensible to determine that the Joker is in fact, not insane.
>>
>>320095797
>You're surprised that a taser is more effective against armor than a punch?
No, but most of the enemy weapons aren't tasers, they're shit like baseball bats and batons. You'd be right if tasers were the only weapons that ignored defenses.
>taking out a bunch of thugs isn't supposed to be difficult
No, but it's not supposed to be so easy that the game isn't fun.
Like Devil May Cry - Dante in story doesn't even have to try against 99% of the enemies you fight but the gameplay is still challenging enough that when you get good you do feel like an unstoppable badass.
In Knight, it feels like it's just handed to you on a platter rather than having to earn it.
>>
>>320095553
>Batman by proxy has killed thousands due to not killing criminals
I don't see how this logic works. Batman puts them away, it's not his fault they keep getting out, it's the prisons and asylums that are supposed to be preventing that.

Even so, the question you're asking has been brought up multiple times in the comics. He's aware of it, but he's yet to find a good solution to it and whenever he does, it's so over the top and dystopian that other people interfere.
>>
City killed the franchise by going open world.
>>
>>320096615
lel no

City was a hub world
>>
>>320088571
City>Knight>Asylum>>>>Origins
>>
>>320096360
>No, but it's not supposed to be so easy that the game isn't fun.
I guess I just don't agree with this. There's nothing enemies could do in Arkham Knight that they can't do now, they've only gotten more aggressive, more numerous and gained more abilities. Like, they couldn't revive each other before, nor could they burn you out of grates or have nearly as much access to guns.

For me, these games have always been about making you feel like Batman. That's where the fun comes from, not any sense of challenge. And Knight did that better than any other game, in my opinion. It gives has the most robust set of tools; not just for you, but for everyone.
>>
>>320097269
>There's nothing enemies could do in Arkham City
typo.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 322x357) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 322x357
>>320091341
What is this? A GIF FOR ANTS?!
>>
>>320098579
If by ants you mean tumblr, then yes.
>>
>>320091456
That remote claw was OP as fuck.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.