[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls 2 is unplayable for me. I don't know how SotFS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 203
Thread images: 28
File: image.jpg (224 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
224 KB, 1280x720
Dark Souls 2 is unplayable for me. I don't know how SotFS changed shit, but this game was pretty poor in level-design, enemy placement, and enemy design.

I cannot play a game where dozens of copy pasted, same move set, 360 tracking, massive hitbox wielding, humanoid sponges chase me. Mob type enemy placement is the chief enemy placement type in the game and it is literally the most boring and unfair form of "challenge" that there is.

>inb4 hurr durr you are not fighting them correctly

In areas like the Dragon Shine, for example, with some of the worst fucking enemies in all of video games, (muh infinite stamina) sure you can wait out and bait each enemy one at a time. But it's literally forcing you to play to one style. You MUST play incredibly cautious and defensive in order to not get mobbed by multiple waves of enemies. This is in an example of boring, restrictive gameplay. This occurs in multiple areas.

Not only this, but there are areas in the following levels that have aggro mobs, so you don't even get the aformentioned oppurtunity to play safe:

- Brume Tower: Tons of humanoid areas sprout up out of the ground, pack full certain rooms, and so on.

- FEL outskirts: I literally stopped trying this area after 3 times because that's how easy it is to see how fucking terribly designed this shit is.

- The Gutter: There are enemies fucking everywhere. The core elements of the level are at odds with each other. You can feasibly go along the wall and tediously remove all of the statues (which respawn anyway IIRC) maybe if there weren't tons of enemies that are going to inevitably aggro once you enter their area.

- Brightstone Cove Tseldora: This area is not unfair or even annoying. It's just so fucking boring. It does not offer any unique type of enemy placement or challenege outside of there being tons of channelers and spiders in a given room. It's just lazy fucking enemy placement.
>>
Shrine of Armana: Sorcerers are constantly aggro and there are many of them. Again, a constant path (see the Gutter) with fucktons of projectile enemies. It's very plain and very boring.

the Undead Crypt: The boss door enemy placement is possibly the worst I have ever seen. It's quite similar to a Mario Maker level.

I'm not even going to get into fucking level design.
>>
it was made by amateurs that tried to copy and paste the ideas from DaS
it only shows you how much thought goes into a well designed game
>>
>>320026663
nice memes
>>
>>320026663
Ahem...git gud
>>
>>320026663
yet all the DLC was amazing and it managed to be better than all other games of it's kind (outside of FROMSOFT)
>>
>>320028979
/thread
>>
Wow git gud.
>>
>>320026663

Cool opinions senpai, I enjoyed it regardless :)
>>
>>320026663
>In areas like the Dragon Shine, for example, with some of the worst fucking enemies in all of video games, (muh infinite stamina) sure you can wait out and bait each enemy one at a time. But it's literally forcing you to play to one style. You MUST play incredibly cautious and defensive in order to not get mobbed by multiple waves of enemies
Well, SotFS changed that.

And a lot more stuff too.
>>
>>320029450
OP here.

Really? Should I watch a playthrough or could you detail how for me?
>>
>>320030135
it shuffled all the enemy placements.

Dragon shrine is now much more interesting.

Dragonbros are passive and watch you. they want you to honorably 1v1 the drakekeepers (which means no more 2v1 drakekeeper scenarios) if you cheat though, (going where keepers cant follow, summoning someone) then they all aggro on you and gangrape you.

pursuer pursues you all across the bastille, the overal feeling of progressions is more balanced, and feels more paced, theres less sacrifice rings, and they cost a FUCKTON more to repair,

heides knights are now in heides tower,

Drangleic castle is now about 20% more spoopy because all the enemies are mixed with statues until you approach them, etc

the DLC keys were also scattered around the game world, so you have to find them. its neat

lighting is also slightly better. they upped the contrast and shit so no longer is it all washed out and grey, and dark areas are back. Gutter for example, is now 100% pitch black
>>
File: 1447986452295.jpg (51 KB, 500x386) Image search: [Google]
1447986452295.jpg
51 KB, 500x386
>>320026663
git gud faggot
>>
File: 1449708606138.png (268 KB, 414x306) Image search: [Google]
1449708606138.png
268 KB, 414x306
>>320029202
>yet all the DLC was amazing

Most of the DLC level design was better than the areas in the base game, but none of the areas really compare well to Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, or Bloodborne areas which have stellar design all throughout the game save for a few places.

That being said, there were a bunch of sections in the DLC that were absolutely abysmal. Neither of these areas were fun to go through.

Iron Passage, the level leading up to the Blue Smelter Demon - A slog through tons of Ashen Warriors, sorcerers, possessed armor guards, and astrologers in cramped quarters. Some enemies shooting projectiles are in areas you literally cannot get to, if I remember right. Also, there's a giant guarding the fog gate. Fighting through all the enemies I could got so boring I just started running past all of them to get to the boss, which wasn't too hard. Thankfully this whole area is optional.

The Memory of the Old Iron King - Incredibly bland dungeon-like area filled with an annoying amount Alonne Knights standing around and Fire Salamanders chilling on slightly raised platforms. The salamanders also just one place and never move, not even when you're cutting them up from behind. The actual layout of the level is incredibly simplistic and nonsensical too: You fight your way through one big room with enemies, drop down a hole from which there's no way back up, and then fight through another big room with enemies to get to the fog gate. The arena you fight Sir Alonne in, which is actually a fun fight thankfully, doesn't match the look of the level either, I feel like both areas were just tacked onto one another.

Both areas are optional, but that doesn't excuse the poor level design and enemy placement.
>>
>>320032925
>but none of the areas really compare well to Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, or Bloodborne areas
confirmed for not actually playing the DLC.

Sunken king alone was Demon's quality with how interconnected and puzzly it was.

and I get the idea for the optional areas was lifted from Bloodborne's chalice dungeons
>>
>>320032925
The only area I particularly hated was Frigid Outskirts.
The fact that the boss was just two of the same cat from earlier just made it worse.
>>
File: George Costanza Souls.png (180 KB, 890x890) Image search: [Google]
George Costanza Souls.png
180 KB, 890x890
>>320033442
Sunken king had pretty good level design, I can't argue with that. That DLC suffered from a lack of good bosses, aside from Sinh.

I didn't have fun fighting Graverobber, Varg, and Cerah at all, granted I may have made things more tedious because I was doing a melee only run. I had to play super safe by leading one of the three guys away, getting one or two hits in, and having to back off because one of their buddies caught up. It's a minor annoyance but I hated that none of them had unique armor too, they were just wearing armor already in the base game.

Elana was boring both design-wise and while fighting her because, again, I had to play it super-safe when she summons her Velstadt reskin. The fight isn't necessarily hard but it takes a lot of patience to avoid putting yourself in any danger because there's multiple opponents to keep an eye on. At least with the gank squad fight you can use the environment to block the archer's view of you or separate the two melee guys by knocking one into the lower level, but here it's just a flat open arena with nothing to separate your opponents.

Sinh was fun to fight despite being a bit easy. That fight also had some pretty good music going on too.
>>
>>320026663
>I cannot play a game where dozens of copy pasted, same move set, 360 tracking, massive hitbox wielding, humanoid sponges chase me.
>sponges
So you're a moron that doesn't know that different weapons are more/less effective against certain enemies?
>>
>all this complaining
>WAAAH THE GAME IS TOO HARD AND I ONLY LIKE FIGHTING ONE THING AT ONCE
>OMG WHAT DO U MEAN I HAVE TO FIGHT THINGS WITHOUT BEING A LOCKON SCRUB

G I T
U
D

Pic related, my most played games. SOFTS is absolutely god tier and you are trash and if dont like it.
>>
>>320036013
I didnt mind elana.

Fakestadt was parrybait
>>
>>320026663

DaS2 is literally all about I-frames.

Get that ADP to 50, and the game is cake.
>>
>>320036386
Sotfs sucks fucking dick compared to das1 and demon souls. You're delusional
>>
File: 1396411821266.png (205 KB, 322x276) Image search: [Google]
1396411821266.png
205 KB, 322x276
>>320036386
>500+ hours in skyrim
>300+ hours in dark souls 2
>>
>>320036284
No, you are a moron who doesn't understand balance. Enemies in large groups should not take multiple attacks to take down. Hence why claiming the hollow mobs in Dark Souls and the mobs in the late game of Dark Souls 2 are not equivalent.
>>
>>320029202
what are the other games of its kind?
>>
>>320036386
>528hrs on Skyrim
>>
>>320036386

Your top played game being Skyrim instantly invalidates any opinion you have about anything.
>>
>>320036817
>multiple hits
What enemy appears in large groups that cannot be killed in one hit?
>>
i've posted the words git gud many times before, but only in regards to demon souls DaS and bloodborne. it really doesn't apply to this garbage game. you fucking clowns who cherish this trash do so because it was your first souls game. it's fucking awful and shouldn't be considered canon.
>>
>>320036817
Forgot to mention that my use of sponges there was incorrect, however.*
>>
>>320036757
>das1
>80% of your time is spent backtracking because there was no fast travel at all for the first half of the game

yeah no thx
>>
>>320036910
Uh, are you fucking retarded? Have you not even played Brume Tower?
>>
>>320037008
thats what made it feel good, the lack of loading screens and interconnected world

you absolute garbage faggot
>>
>>320037095

Looks like the retard is you. You can easily kill any of the normal enemies there in one hit if you're using a large mace like the demon greathammer. Maybe you shouldn't use a slashing weapon against armored opponents like a moron.

>uh
Confirmed my opinion about what type of person you are.
>>
>>320027448

It really comes down to this.

To be honest I'm playing through it again and I'm enjoying it, I'd say it has its strong points. However, the parts that it fails it, it fails incredibly hard at, and are parts that DS1 did so very well that I can't help but be disappointed.
>>
File: squished baby doll.jpg (89 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
squished baby doll.jpg
89 KB, 480x720
I love it when people bitch about a game being unplayable that a bunch of shitters beat all of the time on stream. If this is not the golden scenario of git gud I don't know what is
>>
>>320037125
DS1 was a walking simulator for half the game. thats not gameplay, thats literally artificial gameplay. Im not talking about dieing over and over, im talking about spending 3 hours walking back and forth over things you already went through 5x. Its boring, its lame, and its lazy.
>>
>>320027448
>muh B-Team meme

Just compare the credits of DS1 and DS2.
>>
>>320037440

The problem isn't that the game is insanely hard or anything, it's in the same league as the other souls games, give or take.

It comes down to the methods used to increase difficulty. The bell gargoyle boss and rat king authority/sif comparison are prime examples.
>>
>>320037519

miyazaki being out of the picture for DS2 matters more than you would think
>>
>>320037519
You do know that the majority of the people in credits have nothing to do with design philosophy. It's pretty amusing because the previous CEO was behind a lot of the bad systems in the game.
>>
>>320037246
So you can only one shot enemies on a STR build using some of the most powerful (in terms of damage) weapons in the game that also have massive amounts of cool down. Thus making fighting mobs of enemies just as much of an annoyance and not balanced regardless.
>>
>>320037478
no you're a fucking faggot who gives cancerous trash such as DaSII a platform to exist.

Don't talk to me about lazy. The garbage devs had fast travel planned from the get go. That gave them reason to make all their areas have a fucking linear path with a bonfire dead end.

You're the worst, honestly. That game deserves a playthrough if you're a fan of the series. I gave it that. But don't fucking defend it as if it's on par with the rest of the games.
>>
>>320037828

I wonder if all those >muh Miyazaki fags are upset that Miyazaki is only involved in one aspect of DS3, while the guy that saved DS2 is in charge of everything else.
>>
File: 64fkmq.jpg (20 KB, 250x376) Image search: [Google]
64fkmq.jpg
20 KB, 250x376
>>320037675
>The bell gargoyle boss and rat king authority/sif comparison are prime examples.

>WAAAAH IM A SHITTER WHO CANT FIGHT MORE THAN 1 THING AT ONCE

GIT
U
D

In ds1 you had snorlax and pikachu, a fight MOST people complain about being hard, and yet they dont say its "artificial difficulty" that you have to fight more than 1 thing at a time. cry more pls
>>
>>320036386
>skyrim at the top

yeah okay buddy. SotFS is not only a shitty souls game, it's a shit game in general. If you can't stop sucking From's dick for 5 minutes which you apparently can't considering those hours and the fact you bought that piece of shit DaS2 twice, you should probably just kill yourself.
>>
>>320037967

Or you could
>buff your weapon with magic
>buff your weapon with lighting
>cast miracles
>cast magic
>use ranged weapons
>or a bunch of other shit

I'm sorry you're such a shitter that cries every time your narrow minded playstyle isn't viable.
>>
File: a - team.webm (329 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
a - team.webm
329 KB, 600x338
>>320026663
Dark Souls, Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are the same thing. Fuck off.
>>
>>320038208
>Dark Souls II Was My First Souls Game: The Post
kill yourself m8, you'll never understand
>>
>>320037969
You seem awfully buttfrustrated anon. Is it that time of the month or does your diaper need changing?

DS2 had a little bit TOO much fast travel yes, but thats still better than the long stretched out boring thing that is DS1. Having to climb back up the great hollow becuase you went down it before getting the lordvessel on your first playthrough because you didnt know any better is inexcusable.

It was obviously designed by people with no sense of time or distance.
>>
>>320038208
Oh wow- a visual glitch from the first week of release. Next you're going to post the two low-level r1 spamming players
>>
>>320038307
>dark souls 2 was my first game
It was my 3rd souls game actually.

If you can't see that all souls games are largely similar (except bloodborne which has much faster gameplay and a different approach to difficulty), you are beyond retarded.
>>
>>320037440
I don't think you are quite grasping the point of the OP. The complaint is not of the difficulty; the complaint is of the incredibly lazy enemy placement and enemy design.

For example, instead of giving the Shrine of Armana sorcerers a unique and versatile move-set, they gave them a projectile. That is already incredibly one dimensional enemy design, but to add onto that in order to give the area a sense of difficulty they simply copy and pasted the enemies all over the place.

This a very good example of the lazy enemy design and placement Dark Souls 2.
>>
File: 1442564392107.webm (805 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1442564392107.webm
805 KB, 1280x720
>>320038208

DS3 is shaping up to be the same.
>>
>>320038020

I think you're misunderstanding a bit. Like you said, there were bosses in DS1 that had multiple enemies, four kings are another example, but these were much fewer and far between in the first game, for good reason too, as it doesn't play to the games strengths at all.

But take a look at bosses like the four kings and O&S, then at the rat authority and bell gargoyles in DS2.

For one, you can avoid fighting more than one king at a time if you have enough DPS, and two, O&S isn't just one tough enemy copy pasted to make it harder.

The problem isn't that the game is hard, or that there's lots of enemies, it's the fact that it was done in a lazy way. And things like the camera lock-on were not adapted for this change.
>>
>>320038208
that's a pretty cherrypicked webm and if you think BB and DeS are on the same level as Dark souls 1 and 2 you need your fucking brain examined.
>>
>>320038342
I'm only frustrated you played II first, the impression is made on you ruined your outlook towards the rest of them.

>great hollow, first playthrough
oh look, it's this meme again

this isn't bait either

guys I really can't be arsed with all your shitty replies so don't fucking bother
>>
File: BRAVO.webm (2 MB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
BRAVO.webm
2 MB, 1280x544
>>320038419
You guys still post shitty hitboxes from the first month of release, why shouldn't I?

From's fanbase is so fucking terrible.
>>
>>320038508
enh, that one looks kind of bullshit at first, but after he's hit you can see the little swirling pillar of flame that comes out of the tip of the sword which looks like it has the range to connect.
>>
>>320038483
they are all similar

apart from dark souls 2, which was incredibly bad and felt nothing like a souls game.
>>
>>320038508

In fairness you can see the flame sort of extending from the tip of the sword
>>
>>320038508
kind of bullshit but looks like it still connected
>>
>>320038565
>camera lock-on
>he uses the camera lock
GIT
U
D

The bell gargoyels are hard because you have to manage to dodge 3 of them at a time. Thats not artificial difficulty, its forces you to be smart. In DS1 you can literally just sit underneath every single boss and list lazily to the left because theres ONLY ONE OF THEM and as soon as you get under them its pretty fucking easy. Having more than 1 enemy forces you to actually dodge and menuever.
>>
>>320038342
>Having to climb back up the great hollow

Is this really your example of backtracking?
In a game where 75% of people went to the graveyard first you want a sign telling you not to go somewhere?
hurrrdduurrrr
>>
>>320038714
>>320038779

The swirl still goes past the player. I don't really care though, it's what I expect from from so I don't really mind it ingame.
>>
>>320038693
>/tv/poster
Pls
Also, go to a mimic in DaS2 RIGHT NOW and hit it behind its back, don't move. Comeback and show what happened
>>
Just play Bloodborne. The DLC adds some neat new weapons and they fixed the loading screens.
>>
>>320036915

Acquire skill.
>>
Dark Souls 2 is like an expansion to Dark Souls 1. If you did not like Dark Souls 2 then you did not like Dark Souls 1.
>>
>>320038192
But we are speaking in the context of builds that can one-shot enemies. Buffing some weapons, using spells/miracles, and ranged weapons do not always one shot enemies. If they do, then they typically have some sort of consequence in order to make them balanced. Buffed weapons have time-limits, ranged weapons agro enemies, casting powerful spells and miracles have large amounts of cool down even with high dex.

I think you are also too focused on the point of making these encounters equivalent with the encounters with hollows in Dark Souls. The fact of the matter is, regardless of how durable enemies are, the encounters are very poorly thought out. There is no thought given to their placement, variety as an enemy type, versatility in their move-set and so on.
>>
>>320038643
>you played II first,
nope, i played DS1 the day it came out for xbox 360. stay mad kid

>oh look, it's this meme again

How is that a meme? i literally was just walking around and found the great hollow, had no idea what the fuck was down there and spent countless hours just to get there, only to realize that i was not only at half hp because of something that is literally never explained to you, but i also had to track back through the entire game just to fix it. Its fucking unintelligent design.
>>
>>320038859

I never used the term "artificial difficulty" and I agree that I would like to see more bosses with multiple enemies, because O&S is one of my favorite DS1 bosses.

To repeat myself for the third time, my only issue is that it was done in a lazy way. O&S is interesting because they're two unique enemies that are interesting to fight together. Copy pasting the same enemy three times isn't good game design, it's just laziness.

One more time, just to make sure, don't mind multiple enemies, I mind the way DS2 HANDLED having lots of enemies.
>>
>>320037986

I wanna see your source for that. I heard Tanimura was also co-directing but nothing specific was said.
>>
File: defend this.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
defend this.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>320036915
Even miyazaki considers it canon, yet you buttblasted child still think that it shouldn't be canon.

Miyazaki fans are the fucking worst.
>>
What's with everyone's hardon for Dark Souls? The entire game drops off to easy unfinished land after Anor Londo. Even if Dark Souls 2 has some issues with elevators that go to sunken cities, at least the game is consistent in what it is.
>>
File: 1440537063420.jpg (22 KB, 480x347) Image search: [Google]
1440537063420.jpg
22 KB, 480x347
>>320026663

What's the best build for SOTFS
>>
>>320039439

>after anor londo

I hear this a lot but I don't really understand it. Duke's Archives feels pretty finished to me.
>>
>>320039439
People tend to forget the shit and remember the good when they want to become part of the club.
>>
>>320039078
>The fact of the matter is, regardless of how durable enemies are, the encounters are very poorly thought out. There is no thought given to their placement, variety as an enemy type, versatility in their move-set and so on.

You're saying this whilst Dark Souls 1 had the worst enemy placement ever in places like Lost Izalith. DS2 has good enemy placement with the expansion.
>>
>>320039439
But skelton land is literally the best area in the game
>>
>>320026663

>op thinks this is limited to dark souls 2
>op doesn't realise all the souls and bloodborne are shit

wtf sempai desu
>>
>>320039616
High Strength large/great club and
High Dex rapier builds both wreck PVE
>>
>>320026663
SotFS Changed a fuck ton, and made a fuck ton better. Granted, it still has it's issues, but I think SotFS is genuinely a great game, even if it's still not nearly as great overall as DaS 1.

Also, all three of the DLCs are great, but they all have that one "fucking why?" area.
In Sunken King it's the flooded dragon area. It's fucking retarded, no fun at all. Lets restrict movement in an area with a shit load of tanky dragon lizards who agro from across the map. That will be fun.

In Iron King it's the Iron Passage. Literally an ass fucking simulator, full of enemies you have no ability to attack unless ranged, and 100% copy pasted boss fight, and requirement to go through the area a minimum of 4 times (I think) to get every item. It's top notch bullshit.

Ivory King has the frigid wastes. Whoever thought this area was a good idea deserves to be kicked in the dick once per week, every week, until the year 2100.
>>
>>320037675
I beat them just fine after a few tries. Honestly my hardest fight was the three ruin sentinels on my first playthrough cause I was perma 1/2 hp, and I still think its adequette for challenge. It's like getting pissed that two teams are playing against you on a football field when you asked for something tougher.
>>
>>320039290

Here ya go:
https://www.vg247.com/2015/08/10/hidetaka-miyazaki-directing-dark-souls-3-and-bloodborne-dlc-says-he-can-handle-both/

>He then added that Dark Souls 2 director Yui Tanimura-san has joined the Dark Souls 3 team. So while Miyazaki works on the game’s core design, the rest will be handled by other directors.
>>
>>320026663
>copy pasted, same move set, 360 tracking, massive hitbox wielding, humanoid sponges chase me

Oh sorry, though we were talking about bloodborne, which does that x10 but has cooler levels so its okay I guess

>In bloodborne enemies can combo you on the ground after a hard knockdown
>Several enemies have three to four slam moves with 360 tracking in a row to capitalize on this mechanic

INTO THE TRASH
>>
>>320039771
Lost Izalith was bad; this doesn't detract from my points about Dark Souls 2, the original game.

I also see that you dropped the other argument.
>>
>>320040112
>I have never played bloodborne
>>
>>320039370
>400 hours in the game
>this never happens

ok
>>
>>320038598
>BB and DeS are on the same level as Dark souls 1 and 2 you need your fucking brain examined

Yeah they're much worse
>>
>>320040286

>the original game
It wasn't even that bad there, people just suck.
>>
File: 1449876030896.png (116 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1449876030896.png
116 KB, 420x420
>>320026663

Welp, sad to hear that OP. I literally can't run Dark Souls 1 for unknown reasons in my case.

>launch game from steam
>game is running in task manager

I have Windows 10, what do?
>>
>>320040368
Mad as fuck Pc c.uckold
>>
>>320039625
Duke's Archives are acceptable, but the forced death and ice cave isn't really interesting.

Izalith is shit.
Gravelord is shit.
New Londo is shit depending on who you ask.
>>
>>320026663
1/10

You really need to stop attempting this.
>>
>>320039370
Of course it had to be canon to make the third part. He is already fixing that mess with the comeback of the chosen ones.

Miyazaki will save DaS. Even though I prefer him to do BB 2 tobehonest
>>
File: 1442804401467.jpg (45 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
1442804401467.jpg
45 KB, 500x380
Let me summarize all dark souls threads here for you guys

>DS1 LITERALLY BEST GAME EVER NO FLAWS A TEAM IS BEST U ARE TRASH IF U DONT AGREE JUST IGNORE THE UNFINISHED STRETCHED OUT MESS
-HOW DARE YOU LIKE DS2 ITS NOT THE SAME AS 1 THERES MORE ENEMIES ITS NOT THE SAME YOU ARE LITERALLY CANCER FOR LIKING IT STOP LIKING THINGS THAT I DONT LIKE
>>
>>320039923
Your Iron King and Ivory King examples are multiplayer areas designed more around adventuring with phantoms, which is why they have more enemies.

Sunken King's area is bullshit though, especially if you get invaded there. However, the dragon things are actually really easy to kill and because they are spread out so far apart, you only ever have to fight one at a time,
>>
The entire series is shit and Dark Souls 1 fags only defend it because it made them feel good at video games.

Prove me wrong
>>
>>320037008
I don't recall any serious backtracking. Most areas ended in shortcuts back, or lead you to the next area.
>>
So, for everyone who has issues with DaS II's world design, for understandable reasons, try and understand that they wanted to make the world seem vast.

Dark Souls 1 takes place in one city, more or less, Lordran, which sits directly below Anor Londo. The total game area might have a realistic diameter of 10 miles.

Dark Souls 2 on the other hand is SUPPOSED to take place on an entire continent. The land of Drangleic isn't just a city, it's a whole map. This is shown on the map in the mansion, as well as the cloth map.

The distance in game from the Ruined fork to Castle Drangleic in game is only a short distance, but it's supposed to be dozens of miles.

They didn't want to make you run miles and miles to make this accurate, so they just made "cuts". The tunnel from the shrine of winter to castle Drangleic is a cut (this is why it suddenly becomes night time and rainy), the elevator from Earthen Peak to Iron Keep is a cut, and so on.

These cuts aren't meant to be taken literally as actual measures of distance, or even method of travel (iron keep obviously isn't above Earthen Peak) but are just meant to be transitions, I.E. "You just finished Earthen Peak and took the elevator to the top, now, pretend you went back down, walked for a day, and arrived in this volcanic wasteland. Now resume. You are now in Iron Keep."

This wasn't translated well in game, but it's pretty obvious that this is what they were going for. They just weren't all that successful.
>>
File: animalcrossing.gif (2 MB, 399x274) Image search: [Google]
animalcrossing.gif
2 MB, 399x274
>>320040458
I know it's unrelated but pls respond

I really want to play me some good ol' DS
>>
>>320040487

seriously? one of the major selling points of DS1 is how well the environments loop back to the start, and are intricately inter-connected.
>>
>>320040887

>he has goodgoy 10
Its already too late for you. Its just, too late. You should have never even considered that failure of an operating system.
>>
>>320040887

Sorry bro I don't have windows 10 and I think a lot of people here don't as well.

Probably better off googling.
>>
>>320040487
I enjoyed the level design of the Duke's Archive, but I was super disappointed with the Seath fight. Maybe if I wasn't rocking that curse resistance it would have been more intense.

4 Kings was just a DPS race and not exactly a thrilling fight, but still more memorable than Nito, who I remember being essentially, "Hit him and now he's dead," like a lot of the boring bosses from DS2 people complain about.
>>
>not gathering your pals for some good ol' ganking on Iron Keep
>>
File: 1449716537329.jpg (138 KB, 970x582) Image search: [Google]
1449716537329.jpg
138 KB, 970x582
>>320040458
>I have windows 10
>>
>>320041105
I don't think anyone was talking about the connections, just how the areas felt unfinished and badly designed.

Lost Izalith is a combination of both.
Gravelord just felt very scarce, although that might be because it's technically a beginner area.
New Londo is eh.
>>
>>320041205
>>320041246

Can I at least hope that the DS2 port will actually work?
>>
>>320041429

oops, that was supposed to be a reply to >>320037008
>>
>360 tracking

Thats my main issue, i only went back yesterday to my NG++++ save and the Allone Knights just pull this shit regardless where your standing
>>
>>320041571
-install windows 7.
-delete all the telemetry tracking NSA bullshit
-install SOTS
-enjoy playing games without the government spying on everything you ever do
>>
>>320041571

DS2 has a really really good PC port, so I'd say you have a good shot.
>>
>>320041757
>>320041785

thanks anons
>>
>>320040870

Yeah Iron Keep being above Earthen Peak makes no sense at all considering its surrounded by lava
Unless it was built inside a volcano and i've forgot
>>
File: 1443661970081.jpg (15 KB, 419x424) Image search: [Google]
1443661970081.jpg
15 KB, 419x424
>>320040870
I can get behind that but it's still pretty bad.

If they wanted to build a large world but not have the player have to run through it all, they should have just made more warping points. The transition from the forest of the giants and/or the wharf to the lost bastille was fine. If they just did more of that in different ways I could believe that the world actually made some sense.

Heck, the game already feels like a bunch of non-related areas patched together. And considering warping is there from the start, they might as well have just pulled a Demons's Souls and just warp to to non-directly connected areas more often.
>>
>>320036386
>528 hours on Skyrim
You shot yourself in the foot
>>
>>320042246
I feel like Iron Keep is supposed to be IN the mountain, since you go deep into Earthen Peak and take an elevator up.

However, the skybox in Earthen Peak shows the tower as obviously in front of the mountain, so maybe they just fucked up.
>>
>>320042961
>If they just did more of that in different ways I could believe that the world actually made some sense.
If they did more of that people would be bitching about how there's too many warps and no sense of interconnectivity like they already are.

The only thing you can do is just pull a Demon's Souls and remove the traveling altogether, but people from DaS would STILL bitch about that.
>>
>>320036386
>Skyrim
>Memelands

Consider suicide. I like DaSII just as much as the next Soulsfan but you're delusional if you can just deny its many design flaws.
>>
DaS > BB > DeS >>>> DaS2
>>
My problem with this game is how unfair the animations are. In DeS and DaS, you can work around aggressive enemies with your timing alone. In DaS II, there are so many enemies with insanely fast startup animation that you're immediately put on the defensive.
>>
I started SoTFS recently and it's my first time playing Dark Souls II. What's up with Estus only having one use by default and supplementing it with Life gems? I liked in DaS having five estus uses between bonfires and kindling to get some extra uses if needed. Why did they go back to the Demon's Souls method of grass health recovery?
>>
>>320044789
b team
>>
Demons Souls and Dark Souls had some ounce of physicality to how things worked and limitations on what NPCs were capable of. Dark Souls 2 has dwarves that use anvils on a stick as a weapon.
>>
>>320026663
>Unfair "challenge"
>Infinite stamina
>waves of enemies

Git gud faggot.
>>
I don't get why people always bring up The Gutter when talking about how DaS2 is bad. It's a well-designed area that rewards NG users with jumping shortcuts and lends itself to being solved with a torch instead of a shield to dodge poison darts.

The only bad part about it is the path out to gulch is hidden by a bunch of pots.
>>
>>320041105
>intricately inter-connected.

You can see the final areas from other final areas, but you have to go back to firelink and advance from a different route. All you really needed was a couple of ladders and could have skipped like 30% of the bosses.

An interconnected world would never work on DS2 because you're actually exploring the whole continent/island. Granted, they could do something cooler for the transitions between each area, but that was just details. It's really simple. You cross through the woods during the day, you enter in a cave and when you're reaching Drangleic Castle it's the middle of the night. They're using the passage of times as a mean to illustrate distance.
>>
>>320044789
You find items that permanently increase the number of Estus flasks you can carry. There's one hidden in Majula.
>>
>>320040630
People criticize DS1 all the time, especially the second half. Please stop shitposting.
>>
>>320029202
Playing through them for the first time after upgrading to SotFS and I'm not sure I really agree.

Only beaten the first one and i guess sort of midway through the second.

Sunken city was cool to explore but the dinosaurs were fucking retarded and overrall it seemed very short.
Also Elana is a crap tier boss and so is the trio.
Enjoying Crown of the Old Iron King so far though, making my way through the tower feels nostalgic, enemies seems quite nicely designed so far too, fun to fight.
>>
>>320030135
Shrine of Amana is twice as bad now, more enemies all around including Old Knights which are a fucking pain to fight when you're also mobbed by the little crawling hollows.

Dragon Shrine is great now though, giant knights are still stupid cunts but the overrall experience is more enjoyable, no spoilers.
>>
>>320026663
>The Gutter
Don't talk shit about my levelfu, you can run through that thing in less than a minute without getting touched by poison if you're gud
>>
>>320026663
le git le gud XxxD
yes, for B team difficulty is throwing dozens of mobs at the same, at every corner
also to make it extra hardcore le hardest game ever they also decided to nerf your character's mobility
>>
>>320050002
that just makes it even more terribly designed you know
>>
>>320046173
I like the gutter too, but it needed more enemy variety
the hollows are harmless and you can cheese the dogs super easily, it doesn't feel nearly as spooky and threatening as it should

black gulch is just shit
>>
>>320040037

>tfw I enjoyed DS2's gimmicks infinitely more than the shit from DaS

The only way this could've turned out better is if they kept dual wielding.
>>
File: The Gutter.png (189 KB, 1189x1455) Image search: [Google]
The Gutter.png
189 KB, 1189x1455
>>320050578
No it doesn't you nigger. It's one of the best designed area in the vanilla game and got even better with the SotFS torches. The enemies were fitting and fair aside from the dogs that had full control over their poise sometimes
>>
what Dark Souls should I get on PC?
>>
>>320051302
>>
>>320051384
>playing DS1 on PC
>>
>>320050850
Eh, the level sucked. Its cool you need to use torch, but its also a shitty reused level. Game sucked too much up till that point that I just couldn't enjoy it.
>>
>>320051725
yeah?
>>
>>320051725
what the fuck is he going to play? bloodborne?
>>
File: das.jpg (55 KB, 453x371) Image search: [Google]
das.jpg
55 KB, 453x371
>>320038761
>>320038307
I played Demon's Souls before DaS and DaS2 and I still think DaS2 is more fun than the other two. Haven't played Bloodborne since I don't want to buy a PS4.
>>
>>320051302
Well it's pick your poison really

>Dark Souls 1
First half of the game is god tier; second half is some of the worst shit I've ever played
Good story and lore if you bother reading item descriptions
Good soundtrack as well
Memorable NPCs

>Dark Souls 2
Mediocre throughout
Literally reuses the story from 1 as well as brings back bosses (like 5 of them), adds nothing relevant lore-wise
Improves on gameplay in almost every single aspect, while introducing extremely fucking annoying mechanics like soul memory;
One memorable NPC - Gavlan deal, gavlan feel.
I don't remember a single song from it though.
>>
>>320051968
second half of DS1 is still better than the entirety of DS2
>>
>>320051812
Possibly the worst pc port ever made until Arkham Knight blew every other contender out of the water.
>>
>>320040870
>The distance in game from the Ruined fork to Castle Drangleic in game is only a short distance, but it's supposed to be dozens of miles.
Not exactly sure about that. From the Ruined Fork, the top of the castle appears quite big.
>>
File: das.png (118 KB, 658x151) Image search: [Google]
das.png
118 KB, 658x151
>>320052376
hm, i had no problems with it.

you're aware of dsfix right?
>>
>>320052254
It really isn't. I'd much rather go through the fucking Gulch or the Valley than TotG, Duke's Archives, New Londo or Demon's Ruins.
>>
>>320052254
hey now
>>
>>320052451
i didn't find a single zone in dark souls 2 to be memorable or fun at all. that entire game was a chore.
>>
>>320051302
Severance
>>
>>320052581
That was my point. It's mediocre throughout, but there's nothing as terrible as post-Lordvessel Dark Souls 1.
>>
>>320040037

Tanimura didn't fuck up DaS2 in any way. He and the rest of the team saved what little could be saved because of those cunts at Namco-Bandai. It was development hell.

Yeah, the final product was mediocre, but they did what they had to. With Miyazaki on board and with Tanimura, they can put out an actual good game now.

I wouldn't worry about it. The beta already confirms it has a lot of good things from DaS (save backstabs) and modified gameplay.
>>
>>320045583

>Havel can't get past a wooden door
>>
File: 1449747281908.png (261 KB, 633x742) Image search: [Google]
1449747281908.png
261 KB, 633x742
>>320051917
Funny enough, I've played all of them, and I find Bloodman to be the funnest.

Do you play mainly pvp or something? That's the only way I could think someone would genuinely enjoy das2 over any of the previous ones.
>>
>>320052679
but post-lordvessel DS1 is better than anything in DS2
>>
I fucking wish there was a mod that just removed SM from DkS2. FUck that shitty mechanic.
>>
>>320052757
ironically DaS2 has the worst pvp of them all

or at least it used to, I haven't touched that pile of shit in ages
>>
>>320052376
I see you never played Saint's Row 2 on PC.

That said, every problem with the DS port was fixed by dsfix, but the mere existence of dsfix does testify to what a shitty port it was.
>>
>>320052449
There being a fix does not make it a better port.
>>
File: 1439518706424.jpg (8 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1439518706424.jpg
8 KB, 240x240
>have Trypophobia
>go to Gulch
>see those worm and insect shit sticking out of the wall
fuck that area
>>
>>320053112
why does the vanilla port matter if there's a fix for it? why would you play it without the fix? why do people always try to say that fixes don't count when they exist and fix all the problems?
>>
>>320053189
Because circumstances can arise that prevent the fixes from being available, and when they are not available, you're left with the shit port again.
>>
>>320053317
like what? the internet going down forever?
>>
>>320050578
Explain.
>>
>>320052757
Nah I play PVE content. I liked the variety of weapons, the ability to change your weapon's element/upgrade without having to farm a second weapon, and just the overall game in general is great. There are no dumb bosses like The Bed of Chaos.
>>
>>320053189
The fact that there even is a fix shows what a bad port it is. If the port was good it wouldn't need a fix.

Of course you would never play without the fix. But saying the port is ok cause a third party fixed it just won't fly.
>>
>>320053583
because its not dynamic i guess
who cares if you can get through shit unhurt

dark souls 2 has unmemorable levels
>>
>>320053841
eh, it's fine for me.

the vanilla port may be bad, but it's irrelevant because the fix exists.
>>
>>320052451
only demon's ruin was truly awful (especially launch demon's ruins)
the rest is on the same level as most das2's locations
>>
DaS2 is the Legend of Korra of the souls series
>>
Is it just me or did SotFS make a bunch of boss fights even easier? Fights like the skeleton lords were already piss easy in vanilla Dark Souls 2, yet instead of balancing and fixing all the shitty easy boss fights in the SotFS, they decided to make all the easy fights even easier to the point where they're easier than regular mobs.
>>
File: HURR DARK SOULS PVP IS BETTER.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
HURR DARK SOULS PVP IS BETTER.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>320052908
>DaS2 had the worst pvp

kek.

DaS2 had the most balanced PVP in the end, which is amazing considered how unbalanced mess it was at start.
>>
>>320050850
Boring dungeon, just a dark maze filled with zombies and spitting statues. Also looked 10x blander than valley of defilement or blighttown, especially with the place lit up.
>>
>>320052908
I'd say DeS has the worst PvP. DaS isn't that good either, especially in the day of havelmoms with bullshit chaos weapons. Even these days it's not that good since it's still 24/7 backstab fishing, toggling, dead angles, etc.

>>320053186
Those things always spooked me out. They aren't hard to kill at all, but I always try to avoid them anyways since I get goosebumps when I see them.
>>
>>320052760
Disagree. I never want to go through Izalith again. Even Gravelord is a chore.
>>
>>320054441
>waah I can't deal with backstabs
stay on casual souls 2 spamming dem running R1s
>>
>>320054441
Sure, it was the most balanced

as opposed to a 2 meter stick tied to an electron, it was more stable
>>
Is the pc version dead now? Played for the first time in months today, I was at the bridge in Iron Keep and I only saw one sign. Guessing everyone moved to SotFS?
>>
>>320054939
Symphony of the Night is older than even dark souls 1
>>
>>320054875
Backstabs are so bad even BB took them out.

And BB is the best "Souls" game.

>>320054939
DaS2? Yeah, it's pretty dead. Everyone is on PC/PS4 SotFS now.
>>
>>320053897
Plenty of areas are memorable enough for me.

Not always memorable for the good reasons, but still memorable.
>>
>>320055838
yeah thats what I would say too, what I'm saying there is "good memorable". so yeah, I remember how painful some areas were that sucked the fun out of the experience.
>>
>>320054424
>Fights like the skeleton lords were already piss easy in vanilla Dark Souls 2, yet instead of balancing and fixing all the shitty easy boss fights in the SotFS, they decided to make all the easy fights even easier to the point where they're easier than regular mobs.
When your boss fights are balanced around having multiple enemies at the same time, there's not much you can do about it unless you create new assets (which they should have done).
>>
>>320053186
Rom in Bloodborne kind of had that effect on me.Before I knew his moves, I would hit him once and then immediately run away for fear of him doing some gross shit.
>>
>>320055838
I think DaS hits better highs than DaS2, but DaS2 is more consistently average-good throughout.

Some areas I adored in DaS2 were:
>Majula
>Gutter/Gulch
>Dragon Aerie/Shrine
>Brume Tower
>Outer Ramparts
>>
>>320056004
imo the problem with Skelly Lords isn't that they are too easy, but that their mechanics sucked in vanilla. The only way they would win was because they spawned a billion of those pinwheels, which is borderline artificial difficulty.

SotFS just redistributed the skeletons to make it fair.

For example, the Titanite demons and their billion clones in DaS weren't bad because they were easy, but were bad because they had shitty hitboxes and are just cancer in general.
>>
everything in dark souls 2 is at most 4/10 quality
>>
I finished Dark Souls 2 on SL1 but quit DaS2 after maybe an hour or so

It just felt "off" and I hated it straight away. It was boring and the lightning sucked
>>
>>320056894
The titanite demons were funny because while they stayed the same, they kept showing up in increasingly worse spots to try and fight them
>>
>>320059175
You should play it all the way even if you hate it. Its better to understand why you hate it.
>>
Iron Keep made me quit my SotFS playthrough.
I really think SotFS is a downgrade to the game.
>>
>>320026663
It was much easier than DaS1
except for shrine of amana
fuck that place
>>
>>320026663
GIT
U
D
>>
File: 1449858957756.gif (549 KB, 720x534) Image search: [Google]
1449858957756.gif
549 KB, 720x534
>>320036386
>exactly 22 days worth of Skyrim playtime
I have 60
>>
>>320026663
I don't think it is at all a bad game
but Das1 just felt like one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had
>>
>>320053395
Lack of internet access, updates breaking the fix, any number of things can happen to the sites the fix is uploaded to so you can't download it anymore, a million other things.
>>
I hope you guys realize that this incessant nitpicking over DaS2 is going to metastasize into a franchise cancer once people realize all the shit they complain about in DaS2 is present in equal proportion in other souls games.
>>
>>320064504
This has already happened.
It's why I wish DS2 never came out at all.
Even discussing how shit it was has had nothing but a bad effect on everything.
It's so bad it retroactively ruined DS1 and DeS and has tainted BB and DS3 discussion. I wish it would just disappear forever.
Thread replies: 203
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.