[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ocarina of Time vs Link to the Past
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 6
File: zelda1.jpg (100 KB, 684x240) Image search: [Google]
zelda1.jpg
100 KB, 684x240
So, no one seriously thinks Lttp is better than Oot right? Don't get me wrong, it's a great game obviously, but it is most definitely weaker in terms of pretty much everything. In fact, I would say the only thing that Link to the Past does better than Ocarina is that it gets to the action quicker, and even then I think that ends up hurting the overall game, because the payoff in Ocarina is that much sweeter thanks to the opening buildup.

This shouldn't even be an argument. Ocarina is just better.
>>
>>320013636
Ocarina of Time is better but I rather prefer A Link to the Past because that was my first Zelda.
>>
I like both.
>>
I like LttP better. Ocarina is the best 3D though
>>
>>320013636
Tell that to Egoraptor
>>
File: 1404427446632.gif (2 MB, 2048x2041) Image search: [Google]
1404427446632.gif
2 MB, 2048x2041
I like both but ALTTP is the better game in my opinion.
>>
>>320013636
I like LttP more.
Better combat

That's the only objective thing I can think of that makes LttP better. Everything else is just my personal opinion. I like LttP's camera angle, graphics (I think gaming went 3D too early), music.
>>
Zelda is probably the worst 2D->3D translation of any Nintendo game.
OoT has shit controls, an awful camera, and much slower gameplay.
The only people who prefer OoT to LttP are children and retards.
>>
>>320016909
At least OoT stayed true to the zelda formula.
Mario going from 2D to 3D changed the entire setup.
>>
I honestly never saw the appeal to OoT, I tried getting into it but it was too boring for me.
>>
>>320016901

Combat is objectively worse in Lttp, because you can't orient yourself without moving. It turns every fight into an awkward game of figuring out the space between you and then enemy more than about fucking sword fighting.
>>
>>320017218
A light tap barely moves you so I never had an issue with that.
>>
>>320017218
>Combat is objectively worse in Lttp, because you can't orient yourself without moving.

anything is a better system than pressing z + button to win
>>
>>320017348
Barely is still moving, and the fact that there's no way to back up while still facing a direction means there no way to play good offense and defense at the same time.

The combat is fucking objectively better in Ocarina of Time.
>>
As someone who grew up with OOT and love it, I can't take someone seriously if they prefer it over ALTTP
>>
>>320017497
You can do that, though
>>
>>320016909
>shit controls
Nope
>awful camera
You control the camera, the game can't help you if you're retarded.
>Slower gameplay
Only if you keep items out of that push enemies on the defensive. This is Egoraptor's dumbass opinion being parroted
>>
>>320017609

By holding the attack button and keeping your swing charged. That's different from maintaining an orientation an allowing you to slash.
>>
>>320017647
>NOPE NO SLOWER GAMEPLAY

>Well let me pause and get my iron boots
>Ok i walked slowly for awhile, now let me unpause and take them off.

>Ok i swam slowly for awhile
>let me pause and put on my iron boots

>ok let me run all the way back to the temple to change
>ok let me run all the way back
>>
>>320017497
But you can just hold the sword button and move without changing where you are facing, and I don't think moving a single pixel is much of a problem.
>>
I prefer Ocarina overall but if we're talking the original N64 20fps bullshit I'd rather play LttP
>>
>>320016843
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
YOU HAD TO NAME HIM DON'T YOU
YOU HAD TO

YOU FUCKING RETARD
NOW THIS THREAD IS DEAD

ARE YOU HAPPY
FUCKING FAGGOT
>>
>>320017815
>One item used in one dungeon is equivalent to slower gameplay throughout the entire game

You're pants on head retarded.
>>
>>320017815
>running to the temple
>Not warping

Again. There's only so much the game can do, if you're retarded.
>>
lttp looks better, its a cleaner design for gameplay, and it continues the standard zelda design, especially when it came out

I like both, but given that one is simply a manifestation of that generation's limitations, and one is a standard zelda game, I have to give my vote to the true zelda game, which is zelda 3+4, both of which are better than ocarina

the only thing that ocarina did better than other zeldas was innovating the lock on system, which was only necessary because handheld controllers are inferior to a mouse for all 3d games
>>
>>320018098
What about the inventory screens that take way longer to load and transition?

What about the slower walk speed? The slower combat? Stopping to shoot things in the air? Stopping to shoot switches on the ceiling? Waiting for platforms to move up and down so i can auto platform across them? Or how about everytime i open a chest?
>>
>>320013636
I like Lonk to the Past more.

Also, Majora's Mask is best.

OoT is boring.
>>
>>320018210
>Y...YOU ONLY HAVE TO WARP BACK, WATCH A CUTSCENE, WARP BACK THEN ENTER THE DUNGEON

How about...i just enter the dungeon? Like alttp
>>
>>320018401
You have to go in and out of the dark world way more frequently than you ever have to access the Temple of Time. There is precisely one temple that requires you to go back and forth from adult to young link.
>>
>>320018712
but transitioning to dark world is actually fun and meaningful in ALTTP and it happens quickly.

You instantly change worlds and it works itself into puzzle solving. OOT has one less mechanic and one more annoying road block that slows you down.
>>
>>320018712
And yet one temple of time transition takes longer than all the necessary dark world transitions combined
>>
>>320018287
>Comparing relative walking speeds between a 2d and 3d plane
This is as dumb as me pointing out that you have to wait for screen transitions
>Slower combat
Better combat, The shield acts like a shield and not an auto deflector for certain pixels. Swordplay should feel like swordplay
>Stopping to shoot switches on the ceiling
Dumb as shit complaint. A puzzle mechanic doesn't require fast gameplay or benefit from it. Same for platforms
>Opening a chest
In Ocarina, you don't know what items you'll get. In alttp you have a bomb and arrow counter from the get-go, spoiling a lot of the surprise of finding new items.
>>
>>320017218
Get good. You should never be in a scenario where you have to slash in a different direction and not already facing that direction

In fact, you're the one always engaging enemies first so you're always facing in their direction.
Strafing would be a nice option though, like in Hammerwatch, but LttP wasnt defined where you have to strafe or backpedal like a gauntlet-clone

I would so play a zelda/gauntlet hybrid
>>
>>>320018928
>b-b-b-but I liked the Dark world so it's better!
There's just as much puzzle solving elements to the time travel mechanic. Beans, Item changes, size changes, and passive item changes all come into play at some point, and like the Dark world, the world changes around you.
>>
>>320019285
>A puzzle mechanic doesn't require
Thats the problem. Looking up at the ceiling to shoot something isnt a puzzle.

>Better combat
Fuck no. Slower, less challenging more tedious combat. When i get swarmed by keese in ALTTP i run away kiting them while taking them out with my sword or boomerang while avoiding/fighting other enemies in the room. When you fight keese in OOT you take out your slingshot, come to a complete stop, go into first person and painstakingly shoot everyone.

So much fun.

>B-BUT Z TARGET LOCK ON TO SHOOT KEESE
Great, now instead of participating in shitty combat mechanics i can just let the game aim for me.

>Better

>In alttp you have a bomb and arrow counter from the get-go, spoiling a lot of the surprise of finding new items.

Good thing there are way more items than bombs and arrows. And i'd rather have bomb and arrow chest get spoiled than watch "DUH DUN DUN DUN DUH DUDH DUH DUDH DUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHH" then a long text box everytime i open something.
>>
The Legend of Zelda > The Adventure of Link > A Link To The Past > Ocarina of Time > Wind Waker > Skyward Sword > Twilight Princess
>>
>>320019743
>In fact, you're the one always engaging enemies first so you're always facing in their direction.

This isn't true even in Hyrule Castle. The guards will charge at you. A better game would let you hold your orientation to the guards and keep your distance. alttp is content with just letting you stunlock them to death with one well timed hit, or a shield deflection.
>>
>>320019757
It is better? The dark world mechanics work so much better for traversing the overworld and solving puzzles then OOT. You know that.

>Beans, Item changes, size changes, and passive item changes all come into play at some point

These things are laughably insignificant to the way dark world is utilized
>>
i think no matter what side you stand on, that egoraptor video about this resulted in fucking armies of kiddies thinking they should hate ocarina of time
>>
>>320013636
>egorapter
>>
>>320020148
That's ironic. If anything, that video resulted in a fucking army of kiddies thinking they should defend Ocarina of Time no matter what.
>>
>>320020242
check the like/dislike on the video pal
>>
>>320020148
>>320020242
Both armies of retards have existed for a long ass time, both games are good in their own way and it's ok for people to prefer one over the other.
There's no need to establish which one is better because at the end, who gives a fuck, just play what you enjoy and let others enjoy their games.
>>
Stop shilling your channel Egoraptor.
>>
>>320019781
>Isn't a puzzle
It can be an aspect of a Puzzle, like as a very, very basic example, waiting for a shot to line up to melt the ice around a switch.
>That entire post about combat
Keese aren't the end all of Zelda enemies. Fighting another sword user in Ocarina is infinitely more enjoyable than fighting anything alttp. and you can absolutely kite enemies in OoT with swordplay. Again, if you aren't smart enough to handle fighting enemies in 3D environments, that's not the game's fault. It's a personal problem.

Also, kiting isn't pulled off well in alttp at all, so I don't really know what you're trying to get at here. To really kite a group of enemies in a satisfying way, the game would need a strafing mechanic, which is non-existent in alttp (save for the charge) and very much a part of OOT.
>>
>>320020435
Check this thread.

The moment anyone thinks LttP is better, without being a faggot about it, they're immediately attacked and called a tool for agreeing with Egoraptor (even though I never even seen that video).

I have always hated 3D Zelda, they became way too slow and much less of a game, although I think Skyward Sword might've corrected it, I really need to try that one out.
>>
>>320020846
I've heard that Skyward Sword has massives amount of handholding and annoying pauses.
>>
>>320020846
>Skyward Sword might've corrected it

alttp fags, everyone.
>>
It's suck cuz wasn't tree Dee. Like okarima of lime.
>>
>>320017218
this has to be the dumbest fucking complaint I have ever read. Holy shit son are you retarded?
>>
>>320021437
>He seriously thinks that linking orientation to movement in a game about combat isn't a big deal

No anon, it is you who is the retard.
>>
Ocarina of Time is just an inferior Link to the Past in 3D, and Link to the Past is just an inferior Legend of Zelda.
>>
>>320020846
>they became way too slow and much less of a game
Isn't this true for all 2D > 3D transitions? I prefer 3D Zelda because I think it benefits from being slower and more focused on exploration, whereas it nearly destroyed Mario until they got it right with Galaxy.
>>
>>320020846
>Check this thread

the people in this thread are not egoraptor fans.
>>
>>320017218
>you can't orient yourself without moving. It turns every fight into an awkward game of figuring out the space between you and then enemy more than about fucking sword fighting.
Are you retarded? How are you unable to understand the space between you and an enemy when the action is presented in a top-down manner so that you can see pretty much everything? And having to move to orient yourself? Are you so uncoordinated that you never know where the hell you are? Of course you have to move to "orient" yourself in LttP, moving is how you orient yourself in ANY game.
>>
Egoraptor: HURR THE COMBAT AND EXPLORATION ARE CONNECTED IN LTTP, THIS ISNT THE CASE IN OCARINA OF TIME BECAUSE THE WORLD FEELS SEPARATED BETWEEN EXPLORATION AND COMBAT.

gee wiz arin, all that because of a lock on system? I guess if you lock on in dark souls you're disconnected from the entire world around you huh? I also like how arin doesn't provide an alternative to this, also he provides virtually no alternatives to any of the "problems" he mentions with ocarina of time, oh besides suggested platforming be made more treacherous by suggesting an enemy that forces you to time your jumps, literally the only alternative he suggests in the entire fucking 40 minute video.
>>
>>320021658
Well I guess Monster Hunter is shit now.
>>
>>320022072
>Moving is how you orient yourself in any game
Blatantly false. Even in top-down games. Ever played Binding of Isaac?
>>
>>320022108
Monster Hunter literally does the opposite, Orientation is seperate from movement because it uses two sticks.
>>
>>320022207
Turning around is movement, anon.

Also no, I haven't because I don't play shit games.
>>
>>320022326
I've only played MHFU and a bit of the 3rd one, and in both games orientation was tied to movement, you could move that camera but your character would only face where you were moving.
>>
>>320022424
>Binding of Isaac
>Shit

Plebbest thing I've heard this month. Great job, and no it isn't. That's the difference between having to do the stupid alttp dance of walking back and turning around and the much more sensible act of orientating yourself towards an enemy while you walk away.

You're retarded.
>>
>>320022604
If you can strafe (which you can in the Monster Hunter clones, and I would assume in Monster Hunter proper) then orientation isn't tied to movement.
>>
>>320022608
So your complaint is that Link to the Past doesn't play like some edgy garbage indie game made by a guy that's never made a good game, despite literally no one else having the immense difficulty playing LttP that you do.

It takes a special kind of retard to be the only one that has a specific problem with a video game.
>>
>>320022848
You cant strafe.
>>
>>320023031
I also have that problem with ALTTP. The combat in that game is awful.
>>
>>320023031
People don't generally complain about mechanics that aren't present in a game. alttp would be immensely better if you could orientate yourself differently from where you move. It would let you kite enemies without having to turn around again and again to change the distance.

You're the retard here for thinking that an antiquated system is better than something that makes logic sense. When you fight an enemy in Dark Souls, do you turn around every time you want to run away? No, you fucking moron, you back up while facing them so you can play offense and defense.

alttp dates itself by forcing you to orient yourself in one consistent direction.
>>
>>320013636
i can't play OoT because it's so boring so lttp for me
>>
>>320013636
I agree, OOT is superior in nearly every way
>>
if OoT didn't run at 20 it would be better
>>
>>320024692
framerate is negligibly unimportant in OOT. You measure enemy guard-drops in terms of seconds, not frames.
>>
File: zelda egoraptor.png (357 KB, 528x1647) Image search: [Google]
zelda egoraptor.png
357 KB, 528x1647
>>
>>320024907
No framerate mattered alot as it makes OoT fell jumpy. Atleast they fixed it with OoT3d where it's a stable 30 but we are talking about the Original OoT vs ALttP
>>
>>320013636
Egoraptor plz go.
>>
>>320013636
Lttp has aged much more gracefully than OoT
Lttp is the best 2d zelda
MM is the best 3d zelda, does everything OoT does but even better and has stood the test of time much better
OoT was a masterpiece when it was released, though
>>
>>320017815
senpai, seriously?
>>
>>320025514
The graphics in alttp have aged better as a result of pixel graphics inhabiting a kind of niche nowadays, but as far as gameplay goes, OOT is noticeably better. There's a reason why most of the changes made in OOT3DS are to non-essential aspects, the main game, combat, and items work just as well today as they did back then.
>>
>>320017947
grow up
>>
>>320025514
>Lttp has aged much more gracefully than OoT

literally no
>>
I always thought the dark world was cooler than 7 years later Hyrule.
>>
Why are people even comparing those 2? The other one is a 3d game and the other one is a 2d game.
>>
Link's Awakening > dogshit > LttP > Ocarina
>>
>>320025950
>but as far as gameplay goes, OOT is noticeably better
about half of the dungeons are straight up boring, not even considering that most of the game is not very challenging at all; it's a very memorable game, but not a masterpiece
majoras mask did almost everything better
>>
I personally think Oot is a mediocre game.
>>
>>320026547
Majora's Mask isn't what we're talking about here. I love Majora's Mask too. That dungeon shit straight up isn't true though

Great dungeons in OOT
>Lord Jabu Jabu's Belly
>Forest Temple
>Fire Temple
>Bottom of the well
>Shadow Temple

Good but not great
>Deku Tree
>Dodongo Cavern
>Spirit Temple
>Ganon's Castle

Not Great tier
>Water Temple
>>
>>320013636

Both are great games but OoT takes it for me.

I love the atmosphere and the style and the shadow/spirit/forest temples are so good. Scaling Death Mountain to get to the Fire Temple was awesome. Galloping into the desert to get to the Spirit Temple set the tone perfectly. The final sequence is fantastic and the Ganondorf/Ganon battle is really fun.

I love that game. It's not my favorite in the series, but I think it's the best in the series of that makes sense, and I think it deserves the praise it receives.

Also, I didn't play a Zelda game until 2010. Born in 92 and even owned an N64 and played SNES at my friend's house all the time, but we mainly played multiplayer games. My first Zelda game was Spirit Tracks and it made me pick up a 3DS for OoT because it was so good.
>>
>>320026942
I would replace Jabu Jabu with Spirit Temple.
>no Ice Cave
>>
>>320026942
>Great dungeons in OOT
>>Lord Jabu Jabu's Belly
yeah, no
>>Forest Temple
it's aight, nothing more
>>Fire Temple
love it
>>Bottom of the well
fun, but it's just a mini-dungeon
>>Shadow Temple
love it

>Good but not great
>>Deku Tree
boring
>>Dodongo Cavern
meh, but kinda boring
>>Spirit Temple
love this one, though
>>Ganon's Castle
good place on the list
>Not Great tier
>>Water Temple
this was somewhat fun
>>
>>320013636
ALttP is tonnes better than OoT. OoT is a fantastic game, but if you take off nostalgiagoggles and compare the two, ALttP comes out top.

This is my opinion.
>>
>>320026942
>Majora's Mask isn't what we're talking about here
it's worth to note since it improves of the flaws on OoT, especially when it comes to dungeons, but also the overworld and side quests; the same things that also makes LttP better than OoT
>>
>>320013636
Lttp is the culmination of the formula in 2D
Oot is the first attempt to implement the formula in 3D
It's a silly comparison
Oot was impresive at the time but, like most games from the era, doen't hold up
>>
>>320025514

Fair opinion.

Remember that OoT was a game as much as it was a tech demo to teach the world the basics of 3D game design. Literally the whole childhood section was a tutorial for the masses on how to handle a game in a 3-dimensional space.

Majora's Mask, in comparison, could use all its resources on being a game.
>>
lttp isn't even one of the better 2d games

nice music i guess but it's hard to fault any of the zeldas for having poor music
>>
>>320028223
couldn't agree more
>>
>>320023440
Not that dude, but a few things. That would be an issue if the game had turning speed, like Dark Souls, which is completely fucking unrelated, or Ocarina of Time. How the fuck you're complaining about small control issues ALttP might have, when OoT has immense camera angle and view point issues and the turning speed delays your shit so much is beyond me.

I'm not entirely sure since it's been quite some time since I played ALTTP, but I'm pretty sure you can just retain the angle you're facing by keeping your sword button pressed. At least the later 2D games do it. Even if you can't, it's not a big issue, because if you don't have nerve damage, you can easily tap the other directional button. If you're still too dumb to pull it off, there are literally no encounters that are so fast, that you can't run and prepare yourself for the direction you want to hit. There is no kiting in the traditional sense because you don't aggro mobs. Besides that, the SNES control simply didn't have any means to do what you want it to do, since there was only the dpad and tank controls are shit in faster paced games.

You're a stupid kid that played modern games first and is used to gameplay behaving a certain way, even though there is no objective reason for it to be better this way, and instead of adapting to it, will list it as a games fault. Get out.
>>
OoT will always be one of my favorite Zelda games, however, I want to say Link's Awakening for the Gameboy is one of the best Zelda games I've ever played.
>>
>>320028784
>Here are all these reasons why the game is perfect just the way it is and you're stupid for wanting the system that every single game since has moved to because it's more intuitive and it makes more sense in terms of combat

No, you're the child. The fact that there's no turning speed doesn't change the fact that you could easily turn the Y button in to a dedicated strafe button and push the Map into the pause screen. And you absolutely fucking do agrro mobs, even in the very first level, not even the first dungeon there are snakes that all aggro to you.

I'm sorry your precious game doesn't hold up, but that's just how it goes. You shilling all the reasons why you can work around that doesn't stop it from looking stupid and being intuitive as all hell. Like I said, alttp isn't a bad game, but it's aged like spoiled milk, especially when you look at how Ocarina of Time can be re-released with practically no changes to the combat system and still feel fresh.
>>
WW > LttP > OoT > MM
Minish Cap > all
>>
>>320029428
unintuitive* as all hell
>>
>>320028984

Link's Awakening IS the best Zelda, after all.
>>
>>320029428
This is a thread about comparing games. If you're addressing the problems one game has, but ignore similar issues that another one faces, you're a hypocrite. There might be some instances where stuff aggros to you.

You're literally just throwing your subjective feelies around, because you don't have any actual arguments and you're not willing to deal with my points. Untuitive, aged, etc.

>especially when you look at how Ocarina of Time can be re-released with practically no changes to the combat system

But the controls changed, you idiot. You literally just explained how you could easily change ALttP to something you would like, even though I'm still pretty sure that function is already in the game, it's really not a big deal in the game for what you're facing.

I don't even think ALttP or OOT are better than one another, but you're a stupid OOT bandwagoner cunt.
>>
File: 1405990802711.jpg (91 KB, 897x669) Image search: [Google]
1405990802711.jpg
91 KB, 897x669
>>320029769
I'm glad somebody agrees
>>
>>320030496
>you're just a stupid bandwagoner cunt
And you're accusing me of throwing feelies around? Ha.

The controls changed on non-essential systems. The item menu was just added to the second screen, aside from that it plays exactly the way original OOT did.

And no, alttp doesn't have a strafe system. If you hold the attack button it lets you keep facing a single direction as the spin attack charges but you lose control of your shield and you can't attack normally making it a pretty worthless addition.

You're talking about camera issues that come up in some of the smaller corridors if you try gaming the system to look around corners. I'm talking about the fact that the game doesn't even come close to having good swordplay, and is entirely outclassed by games that have come since. There's a substantial difference.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.