[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Disgaea 3 not liked as much as the others by fans of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8
File: Disgaea_3_US_Vita_Cover.png (3 MB, 1156x1477) Image search: [Google]
Disgaea_3_US_Vita_Cover.png
3 MB, 1156x1477
Why is Disgaea 3 not liked as much as the others by fans of the series?
It's my first Disgaea game and I'm enjoying it. I've got 4 and 5 to play when i'm done too.
>>
The least competent story.

I'm not kidding.

It's also one of the reasons DD2 was so poorly received.

It's generally agreed that each successive game overall improves on gameplay so people are generally rating the games' stories and main scenarios when ranking them.
>>
File: Badass.png (287 KB, 434x600) Image search: [Google]
Badass.png
287 KB, 434x600
>>319983320
dunno, I loved the hell out of it.
Had way more fun that with Disgaea 2.
Raspberyl best D3 girl.
https://youtu.be/FKWaMMASy28

depends on a tastes.
>>
because faggots.

3 has the best opening
>>
>>319983320
They don't like it because it has the best OP in the whole series.
>>
Characters are shit
>>
>>319983320
I loved it, I enjoyed all the characters I could make in it.

I honestly hated Disgaea 4. Which felt like it had the shittiest story. Sure this one had plenty of cheese, but Disgaea 4 took it a step further, and I really had a hard time enjoying the characters of Disgaea 4 or the developments.
>>
File: 53091837_p8_master1200.jpg (175 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
53091837_p8_master1200.jpg
175 KB, 480x720
>>319983320
Because the story in 3 goes out of its way just to make things wacky and constantly points out the "good is bad and bad is good" as well as "look we're in a videogame" thing.

I enjoyed it, but I can see how the above could be annoying for people.

Also, babloo.
>>
>>319983320

I liked it, but I do think the main cast was weak as hell aside from Raspberyl. Fuck champloo, seriously.

All I really wanted from it by the end, was for their shit to be over, and to do something more with the NPC diez gentlemen.

Prinny Mask and Breezy Santina seemed like they could've had some interesting shit built around them. At least Gorillian got to cameo in other games.
>>
File: 38382739_p0.jpg (665 KB, 1749x1300) Image search: [Google]
38382739_p0.jpg
665 KB, 1749x1300
I recently beat its main story on the PS3. I haven't played any bonus content yet.
I still enjoyed it a bunch, but the story ending was so incredibly unsatisfying to me it soured my opinion of the entire game. I grinded significantly less in this one than in 1 or 2 but the final boss took a grand total of two rounds, with the boss taking its only turn to boop my warrior on the nose for 300 damage.
The character relationships were weak. They suffered majorly from telling us, not showing us. We're told Mao and Rasberyl have been together for a very long time and that they're close, but I never got anywhere near as invested in them as the friendships between Laharl+Flonne and Adell+Rozalin. He seemed more attached to a human idiot he'd known for less than a month, because the game actually bothered to show them develop together. Almaz+Sapphire also merely told us what happened in their past rather than showing us a natural bond forming.
>>
>>319983320
The story goes on way too long to teach the predictable moral of what it means to be a hero

Plus entire chapters dedicated to going in Mao's heart and dealing with his shortcomings

DAD, DAD, DAD DAD DAD DAD DADDADDDDDAD DAD...................

Weapon forte instead of the proficiency system used previously

Magichange was an interesting mechanic but was really awful in 3 (Magichange replaces your weapon instead of augmenting your existing one as made in the next game, so 9/10 times the magichange weapon is far weaker than what you originally had)

Tera magic didn't exist in the original game
>>
File: D3_Masked_Hero_Artwork.jpg (174 KB, 797x1000) Image search: [Google]
D3_Masked_Hero_Artwork.jpg
174 KB, 797x1000
>>319988298
I just fucking realized that Masked Heroes aren't a class in Disgaea 5, what the FUCK
>>
Leaving story and characters aside since that's a matter of opinion.

The gameplay and systems in 3 are objectively some of the worst in the series. A lot of the new features they introduced ended up making things more tedious instead of streamlining them, and things that were once simple now took even longer to do for no reason. The Character World is a good example of this as it made learning skills a much more time-consuming task and just want implemented very well at all. Magichange was also pretty busted due to it not being balanced right and was pretty much downright useless.

You can see where they were going with a lot of the ideas but they ended up falling flat. The games up until 3 were known for seeming intimidating at first but actually being pretty simple to crack open and speed grind once you knew what you were doing. 3 on the other hand circumvented that and made progress a lot slower. Not because it felt like the developers wanted you to take your time, but simply because the new stuff they introduced didn't work as well as they planned on paper.

Thankfully in later games and the Vita port they massively improved most of the stuff introduced in 3. The Vita version is actually decent thanks to the fixes but the PS3 version is completely obsolete and not really worth playing at all.
>>
File: 1443444577211.png (267 KB, 746x790) Image search: [Google]
1443444577211.png
267 KB, 746x790
>>319984898
This guy knows what's up. 3's OP is the best shit.

>>319986831
100% agree with you. Glad I wasn't the only one that hated the story and characters of 4.
>>
>>319990257
is it okay to be sick and tired of the joke that is Asagi

>MUH MAIN CHARACTER
>MUH OWN GAME
>MUH SUPER SHITTY VA THAT KEEPS VOICING A TEENAGE GIRL AS A MIDDLE AGED WOMAN
>>
File: 1444047730125.gif (34 KB, 303x312) Image search: [Google]
1444047730125.gif
34 KB, 303x312
>>319990796
>is it okay to be sick and tired of the joke that is Asagi
Of course it is. I personally couldn't stomach Desco and Fuka for more than 5 minutes. It's just a matter of liking or not the character's quirks. To each their own.
>>
For me (not including Disgaea 2 because I haven't played it):

Story: D3>D1>D4>D5>DD2
Gameplay: D5>DD2>D4>D3>D1
Characters: D3>D1/DD2>D4>D5
Overall: D3>D4>D5>D1>DD2

I can't fathom why people would go as far as to say Disgaea 3 is one of the worse entries in the series, to me it seems an obvious thing that it should be the best one.
>>
>>319990995
>Characters: D3>D1/DD2>D4>D5
I'd argue that DD2 pretty much fucked up all D1's main cast and introduced new mediocre or shitty ones so why isn't it lower?
>>
>>319991271

Fair point. I merged them because they have largely the same cast but if you want to think of it in terms of characters exclusive to DD2 (Sicily, Xenolith and the forgettable others) then DD2 is the worst.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.