[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kirby 64 is one of the greatest games ever made. It has one problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: 51f49roh7zL._SX425_.jpg (37 KB, 425x297) Image search: [Google]
51f49roh7zL._SX425_.jpg
37 KB, 425x297
Kirby 64 is one of the greatest games ever made. It has one problem in that you can't use the analog stick, but aside from that, it's brilliant. The story is cute (with some dark moments) and never detracts from the gameplay and the power combinations are awesome.

Why is this game so underrated?

And before anyone gives me shit about nostalgia, the first time I played it was on the virtual console on the Wii U.
>>
>>319966763
the same reason why x6 and x7 did shitty
>>
Post favorite power combo and explain why it's bomb+cutter
>>
Kirby's slow as shit and "Muh Powers from Superstar"

That's about it.
>>
>>319966981
Bomb + Bomb = God tier
>>
>>319966981
rock + cutter
>become a tiny bird and crush everyone
>>
its short as fuck, and you cant do anything except walk in a straight line or in rare chances use a second route to the end of the level
>>
File: sup guys.jpg (33 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
sup guys.jpg
33 KB, 480x360
>>
>>319966864
I don't know why x6 and x7 did shitty.
>>
File: pino.jpg (12 KB, 253x180) Image search: [Google]
pino.jpg
12 KB, 253x180
>Tfw you make a combination you had forgotten about and it kicks ass
>>
>>319967302
>You can't do anything except walk in a straight line

Yeah, that's how a side scroller works faggot.
>>
>>319967525

yah, but why make it 3d then
>>
>>319967605
It's 2.5d, and it works in a lot of places, like the boss fights, where enemies regularly go in and out of your line of sight. It works really well.
>>
i think its overrated

a lot of the combo powers are underwelming and are never used over the select few. i much prefer the superstar style where the powers are more fleshed out and they all feel like they are all decent

64 kirby is still dope as fuck though, its just not the second coming of jesus
>>
File: killme.gif (3 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
killme.gif
3 KB, 160x160
I'd the game is above average, but not very inspired overall. Most of the powers are based on previous Kirby games, the graphical style and general gameplay are ripped straight from Klonoa, and the difficulty is weak at best.

Kirby moves pretty slowly and most of the mid bosses are just giant versions of the normal enemies, most don't even directly pose a threat.

Far far from a perfect game. But it did entertain and it has some merit to this day. Not anything great though.
>>
>>319966981

Lightning + Cutter or Fire + Cutter
>>
>>319967912
Pretty much this, its nowhere near bad, its pretty good, but there are many better games, including other Kirby games.

That is perfectly okay though, games don't need to be perfect. I understand nostalgia and love for good games, but I don't get why it must be THE BEST EVER and implying otherwise or bringing up faults a heresy of sorts.

Also it is the completely OPPOSITE of underrated, if I had a penny for every time someone came along with the same
>Guise DAE think K64 is underrated, so little love for this hidden gem, best kirby evah. Power mixing was so fun, Adeleine was cool, other games don't have that ergo they suck.
I'd be one rich goddamn motherfucker
>>
>>319966763
>Why is this game so underrated?
Because it's slow as fuck
>>
File: 27693981.gif (11 KB, 128x96) Image search: [Google]
27693981.gif
11 KB, 128x96
>>319966763
Actually it has two problems.

One problem is the aforementioned analog stick

The second problem is that half of the powers are fucking worthless.

Spike + Spike is a power combo where you throw yourself at the enemy with zero air control, this will kill you if you use it anywhere near a pit.

Ice+Electric is a curling stone where you can't slow down, and can only direct where you're going, but it also damages you if you run into something hazardous (what the fuck). It also reverts too slowly to save yourself if you get flung into a pit.

Then there's the timewaster sections. Like all those stages and bonuses where you NEED a certain power to advance or collect an item. And you need the items to get a good ending in the game.
But to get the items, you need one of the most worthless fucking powers all the way from another level and fuck you if you lose it even accidentally.

That's why it's not remembered more fondly than Super Star.
>>
>>319966763
hyper relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X032qT2HqUE
>>
>>319968709
This, too. That game was slower than slugs.
The run speed was KSS' walk speed.

If you look at a diagram of most of the levels, they're mostly empty voids that you spend most of your time walking across.
>>
>>319966763
>>319969246
>Not being able to use analog stick
>a problem

The fuck? Analog sticks are the worst. I consider a game trash if the D-pad isn't used and I'm forced to use analog controls.
>>
>>319969246
I'm glad I'm not the only one who realizes how shitty the collectibles where, its not like it was hard to do them, they where just tedious and annoying and don't really serve as the bonus challenge rewarded with true ending they should be.

For all the complaining about gimmicks in games like RtDL and TD they at least use them well. Like those pick up items, they're limited to a few sections now and then but each time they appear there's a collectible related to their use. They introduce each early on then later down the line iterate on it and the challenges that fully take advantage of these mini mechanics. Super Abilities/Hypernova are focused on the spectacle, but they still work in some interesting uses and in RtDL your price is hidden behind timed no-ability challenged and a mid-boss. All that on top of the collectibles based around clever use of abilities and their powers.

Kirby 64 has one gimmick, and it is a gimmick, and it can't even be bothered to implement it into the collectibles creatively, most of the time its just keep the ability until you reach a colored block to break and then that one time it randomly makes you draw pizzas, a top hat or an umbrella out of blocks. The only really creative use I can think of was the lightbulb, and even then its unrelated to the actual mechanics of the ability and only works that way in that one segment. Rick wall climb would be a good one if the wall climbing mechanic was actually emphasized and if there wasn't 5 useless fucks to shift through to get to it.

Semi related, to this day I'm still pissed stone Kine does literally nothing, all that bullshit people say about exploring abilities thanks to the mixing system just to have young me waste his time in water levels hoping it would do something. I get its a joke, but it goes to show they designed these abilities around funny concepts but gave no shits about the actual gameplay or how fun they'd be to play around with.
>>
The power combining mechanic is fucking awesome and needs to be expanded more. Add a couple more powers and maybe 2-3 moves per combination and you've got the makings of a GOAT Kirby game already.
>>
>>319973279
Only problem with copy abilities like that is you have to get rid of super-specific abilities like Fighter or UFO.
>>
>>319966981
bomb + fire is the undeniable best

go ahead and try to prove me wrong, fireworks are beyond broken and fun as shit to use
>>
>>319973279
What it needs is for the abilities to be well designed and fun to use and with plenty of options, but at that point you may as well cut the middle man and let you get the abilities straight up and design creative abilities without being tied down to combinations from a predetermined set.
>>
Other than being a little bit slow it's perfect.
>>
File: 1437695666708.gif (460 KB, 255x192) Image search: [Google]
1437695666708.gif
460 KB, 255x192
>tfw bomb + needle lets you become a gordo
>>
What, most of /v/ thinks it's the bst kirby game.

Personally, it's my third favorite, after amazing mirror and squeak squad.
>>
>>319975583
It IS the best Kirby game.

I dare you to play it once over again and not enjoy every second of it.
>>
File: 5eb.gif (21 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
5eb.gif
21 KB, 600x600
>>319966763
>Discover it's the only one with combining powers
>Never play another Kirby game
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.