[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled, can we all agree that GZ was actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 17
File: ground zeroes.jpg (223 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
ground zeroes.jpg
223 KB, 1600x900
Now that the dust has settled, can we all agree that GZ was actually the better half of MGSV? And all that PP should have been?

It was going in the right direction about everything.

>An actual OSP sneaking operation
>Varied objectives within the same base
>no open world bullshit, rather a very large base
>intriguing plot (even if theres barely any, it introduces more tension than TPP's
>Nice soundtrack
>collectibles around the world.

Really kojima sama, why did you do this?
>>
You're fucking stupid they're the same thing except V is bigger

3/10 made me reply
>>
>1/30th of a game
>"better half"
>>
>>319904638
exactly my thoughts. I've just decided to put TPP out of my mind and just treat GZ as MGSV.
>>
File: absolutely solid.png (1 MB, 665x1182) Image search: [Google]
absolutely solid.png
1 MB, 665x1182
>>319904768

They're most certainly not the same.

GZ focuses on a large base, rather than on a lifeless open world with several tiny bases on it.
It has a much more "MGS" vibe than TPP.

Sure, the gameplay is still the same, but it still doesn't have all the stuff that made TPP shit.

It was going on the right direction, it was not perfect, but it felt much more like a metal gear than TPP did.
>>
Holy fuck it's December let the ground zeroes meme die you're not cool
>>
>>319904893

Just imagine how bad TPP has to be for that to be the case then.
>>
>half

Ground Zeroes is like 10% of Phantom Pain, at most.

And no, OP. I'd say they're about the same quality.
>>
>>319904638

I haven't played MGSV yet, but is it really that bad? At first I thought it was just v being v hating everything thats popular but then I realized that in pretty much every MGS board around the web, every fan seems to hate it, yet reviewers and other people seem to love it, how come?

Is it bad? Why? what happened?
>>
>>319905068
>one large base which is the equivalent of any large base in TPP
>GZ is better because it has less content

This is all I got from your tiny and shitty argument.

And let me just stop you at that last point because TPP is pretty metal gear with the ridiculous plot, terminology, characters, crazy enemies, general what the fuck moments, humor, and style in general. Being in a big base makes metal gear? Please stop posting you sound dumb.
>>
I don't get this preoccupation with Camp Omega. It wasn't that interesting. It got recycled as fast as every location in TPP did.
>>
>>319905427
It was rushed to release, so it's unfinished and unpolished in certain aspects (read: missions)
>>
GZ is fucking great. The mission area is a blast. Buts it's only one mission. In one base. TPP has at least 6 similar bases.
>>
>half
Ground Zeroes is like 10% of Phantom Pain, at fucking most, and even that's me being too generous on it.

And no, OP. I'd say they're about the same quality. You're a crazy person.
>>
>>319905427
It's a great game with great gameplay and your typical mgs plot, you'll get many hours out of it. However once it was discovered some mission was cut and never finished faggots used this as fuel to call the game unfinished and shit (even though I got more hours out of it than any game this year and mgs 1-4 combined). That plus the personal expectations and general shift from the older games got autists really upset. Its a great game don't let anyone convince you otherwise.
>>
>>319905427

It is seriously just /v/ being fucking contrarian imbeciles. The game is fine, as long as you play it like a stealth game.
>>
>>319905497

>one large base which is the equivalent of any large base in TPP

Except that they're not you dumb fuck, CO is literally the biggest base in the ENTIRE GAME, literally. Well, unless you consider the air strip of the dindus airport to be a base (the airport itself is just the main building with the hangars around)

And with "BIG BASE" I simply meant the game would have been better with A SINGLE HUGE BASE rather than an open world, like the previous games but with more freedom of movement, but still with keycard doors and shit to block progression through locked parts.

>And let me just stop you at that last point because TPP is pretty metal gear with the ridiculous plot, terminology, characters, crazy enemies, general what the fuck moments, humor, and style in general. Being in a big base makes metal gear? Please stop posting you sound dumb.

Stop right there because you obviously have not played other metal gears.

The plot in other metal gears has crazy shit but it's easily wrapped up together nicely, MGSV is just an incoherent mess of 5 minutes cutscenes with barely any dialogue placed together in no apparent order.

There is no elite boss squad, just 3 faggots, you dont fight 2 of them and the other one is a puzzle boss (that can be beaten in literally a minute or less)

And humor? What humor? Theres seriously nothing in MGSV, it's a dead game.

Do you want me to go on?

>>319905427

Read the reasons above, its a bad game, its unfinished. Casuls love it because you get to pew pew and nice graphics also quiet's tits, but everything else, its nothing like the previous metal gears, its only a metal gear in name, it also has one of the dumbest plot twists in the game where in the end it turns out you weren't even fucking playing as big boss (yeah Idgaf about censoring that anymore, fuck that game and fuck that twist)
>>
>>319905427
Well, the biggest thing is that if you like MGS, the story is going to be incredibly disappointing and leave a bad taste in your mouth. Doesn't matter if you liked the game or not, doesn't matter how many hours you put into it, the story is so dumb and unfinished that you will always leave feeling unsatisfied.

The other thing is that the game just isn't good. It feels less like MGS and more like Far Cry from 2 onwards. There are so many terrible filler missions and the level design is just awful outside of a handful of story-relevant setpieces that the world was clearly built around. There are so many annoying decisions. Every extraneous system that isn't just direct gameplay controls is underdeveloped. Mother Base is pointless, FOBs are a constant irritation, there's assloads of grinding for tools you will never need or get to use, side ops are terrible, extra ops have been downgraded from Peace Walker, rankings are pointless, and it just goes on and on and on.

There's just no fucking polish.
>>
>>319906239
It's got nothing to do with the unused cutscenes, the game just finishes without tying a bunch of loose ends
>>
>>319905427
>>319906616

It's really not the case, the game is bad, bad if you're a MGS fan, if you're not a fan of the series you will probably love it.

My biggest issue was that the main missions had absolutely nothing to do with the plot (most of them), they were all just like "hey boss, go destroy these tanks so that sand niggers can kill the russians (btw this never happens in game, you dont even get to see sand niggers in action)" and once you destroy them, at the end kaz is like "btw that was skullface's favorite tank lol guess we're getting somewhere"

Also theres only like 8 side mission types that repeat themselves over 130 times, and 3 or 4 of them are basically the same (Involve fultoning someone outside of a base)
>>
>>319907051
My biggest problem is that those main missions sucked and most of them could be completed in five minutes or were extremely long boring tailing missions.
>>
>>319906239

>I am a retard who enjoys doing the same shit over and over again for over 50 hours, I seriously digged traveling a literally empty and lifeless open world for hours just to get to another base so that I could extract a highly skilled soldier who wasn't even that highly skilled, then I went to other base to extract a hostage, which was basically the same thing as extracting the soldier except that this one wasn't hostile towards me, and the guards didn't even tried to kill the hostage once they discovered me, they just ignored him completely so I loved that, then I went ahead to other place and extracted a wandering mother base soldier! it was so fucking cool and varied!

Thats the translation of your comment, faggot.

Also

>general shift from the older games got autists really upset. Its a great game don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

General shifts that basically turned the game into a different franchise and you wonder why did the fans got upset about that?

Didnt the thought that maybe people fell in love with the general gameplay the series had before this one crossed your mind?

I mean, are you fucking retarded?

Lets say you meet a girl, she is physically your 10/10 girl, lets say she is caucasian, natural redhead, with blue eyes and great tits and great ass, and you marry that girl

Now a fewyears pass and she undergoes surgery to become black, removes her tits, her ass, has eye transplant and goes through hypnotic therapy to act like a man hating feminazi.

Would you still love that girl? No, you fucking wouldn't, you'd hate her because thats not the girl you married, same shit happened with MGSV, dumbass, dont blame the fans for not liking something that was completely different from the previous games.
>>
>>319904638
GZ only got a pass because I thought it was going somewhere. I don't think it holds up.

That OSP point though, that is valid, and it drives me insane. It's an entire gameplay concept that TPP dropped like a baby. Two missions, both insanely easy, neither of them actually benefit from the OSP restriction.

It made sense in GZ, they put armories everywhere and you could actually procure what you needed or wanted. Then in TPP, I think there's only a single armory in the entire game.
>>
>>319906714
Yes so you're a nostalgia faggot who can't handle change like I thought.

>have not played other metal gears

Pretty sure I've played them more than you and a lot longer.

>no apparent order
>boss these guys fucked us
>let's amass our army and home again to fuck them over
>but wait we need to gather Intel and do mercenary jobs to be this going
>boss we have skullface
>kills skullface
>there's our revenge boss but its not over it never will be

How fucking retarded do you have to be to actually think tpp has an incoherent plot? There's even tons of dialogue through the tapes that would equal all those long scenes you're dying for.

>no elite boss squad
Here we go again it HAS to be like the other games

The skull unit, quiet, and sehalanthropus were fine bosses. Stop being a faggot and realize V is a different game its not supposed to be like the other ones what would be the point. Its a better game while keeping the integrity of the series.

There's still tons of humor. When I showed my friends the game they were laughing about the box shit, how mother base soldiers act towards you, and all the other wacky shit you can do. Its just as metal gear as any other one. 2 is still my favorite but MGSV is still a great installment.
>>
File: 1448520499684.jpg (54 KB, 688x960) Image search: [Google]
1448520499684.jpg
54 KB, 688x960
Does GZ let a horse poop on your face? Didn't think so.

Checkmate atheists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBQ_H-XTmFw
>>
>>319908215
V was more about the gameplay obviously. Just like in every mgs the gameplay is what you make of it and depends on your creativity but its always been held back by being generally hard to play and weird controls/fluidity. V fixes all of it and becomes the best entry on this level.

>turned it into a different franchise

Every aspect that makes the franchise unique and great is present in V like I already explained. The fact you came up with that batshit retarded analogy shows how desperate you are to prove your moot points.
>>
>>319904638
TPP's open world wasn't bad. The problem was the locations in the open world were bad. Camp Omega should have been treated as the minimum base size in TPP.
>>
>>319910096
Of course its bad. It's 80% pointless. What does the game gain from giant landscapes full of nothing? The game would gain so much more from having just a whole heap of Camp Omega sized maps. It'd save so much wasted time.
>>
>>319910397
World building and the ability to enter and exit bases anyways you want. It's a war torn area of course there's nothing besides war shit going on.
>>
>>319904638
I agree, actually.

The base was awesome and the side missions started right away without that fucking 1 minute helicopter shit. Also, the atmosphere was great and the plot was interesting, especially Skull Face since he directly quoted Big Boss many times.
>>
>>319910680
>World building
Nothing that a pretty surrounding area can't accomplish. Besides, none of the other games needed an open world to do world building.

>ability to enter and exit bases anyways you want

Which gains you what? Means the developer can't properly set up a proper stealth challenge for players and just haphazardly throws guards around

> It's a war torn area

This can very easily be accomplished in a much smaller map. No reason for miles of empty desert or endless grass plains. It's one of the most pointless open worlds I've ever seen.
>>
>>319904893
I worry about the people here
>>
>>319910680
Except there isn't any war shit going on. This wasn't MGS4, there's only ever one enemy force at a time.
>>
>>319911368
Different composer for the music. Story...I get the feeling Kojma lost interest in the project after making the Rescue Kaz mission. That's when the story just falls to pieces. After that is when the endlessly pointless "Kill x" and "Destroy x" missions come in.
>>
>>319910997
This isnt the other games its a new game

Honestly the problem with you fags, all your aruments boil down to "ITS NOT MUH MGS2/3 :("

It gains you the ability to play your way and make everyone's play through unique. Kojima wanted to achieve that IG has nothing to do with "a proper stealth challenge" 1-4 you can gun through there's not much stealth challenge there. And V is even harder to stealth because the ai is better, there's more guards, and since the areas are so large you have to tread carefully because they could be anywhere and there's generally a lot more guards as well.

>much smaller map

Bigger is better why would you want a small map
>>
>>319912180
>It gains you the ability to play your way and make everyone's play through unique.

This can be done by a series of smaller levels just as easily. It does not need an open world. Especially when there is literally nothing to do in the open world.

>And V is even harder to stealth because the ai is better

Oh bullshit. The AI is easier to stealth than ever.They're blind as fuck, barely ever see you. They go to your last known position if they notice you, flash their flashlights around then go back to their patrol route.
You can easily mark everyone, tranq snipe them from a distance and sprint to your objective. And there's barely ever any guards. I'm shocked that Camp Omega has more guards than any base in TPP.

>Bigger is better why would you want a small map

Becaus whats the point of making it bigger if you're not adding anything to fill in the extra space? What does all the big empty areas add to the experience other than wasted time?
>>
>>319904638

Agreed. You get 90% of the gameplay experience of TPP in GZ. All TPP added was a bunch of easy modes (supply drops, buddies, weather control, a dozen ways of auto-tagging everyone) and a boring Motherbase facebook game that makes you stop playing and fuck around in menus every 5 minutes.

GZ also had a better story, better cutscenes, better music, better tapes, better side ops.
>>
>>319912180
>And V is even harder to stealth because the ai is better
Nah, sorry. The AI in V is fucking stupid. It's either completely blind or (in alert mode) completely psychic, but not in a realistic or fun way.
>>
>>319913181
>better side ops
this so much. the side ops in ground zeroes were fucking awesome and actually fun. in tpp it was all filler.
>>
>>319913183
>completely psychic

And very glitchy. In one Total Stealth mission, I was doing great. Then suddenly out of nowhere, all the guards started shooting directly at me. They didn't see me, or even notice me. They just opened fire. And no matter how well I hid or where I went, their accuracy never let up. I still don't know what went wrong there.
>>
>>319913292
They were better in Peace Walker for the most part. Not the vehicle missions, they were bullshit. But the first 50? They were great. Target practice, and shooting balloons, destroying convoys of trucks, total stealth missions, banana only missions, stopping the enemy from attacking BB while he was fighting Peace Walker. Where was any of this variety in TPP?
>>
>OP samefagging this hard

Kek
>>
>>319913607
Don't forget the pooyan mission
>>
>>319912792
No it cant. Linear levels serve for linear gameplay options and minimum diversity.

Like I said its about worldbuilding. I enjoyed riding around on d horse. Open world effects the gameplay experience more than you think
>>
>>319911368
Here's To You was used in an incredibly striking way, but apart from that, what was there? Not a hell of a lot!
>>
>>319913680
>>319913607
Oh, and the monster hunter missions too. Which got a special cutscene of its own.
>>
>>319913292
There are no side ops in GZ stop shitposting
>>
>>319913802
Why? How does riding D Horse through empty areas gain? All you see is rock and grass. There's nothing else to see. It's a big waste of time.

And Camp Omega was not a fully linear level. It gave the player a ton of diverse options while still letting the developer craft difficult challenges from whatever way you went. It didn't restrict you at all.
>>
>>319913821
The opening theme when Snake climbs the rock and the music in the ending cutscene and the guitar version of love deterrence.
>>
>>319913903
Did you miss literally 80% of the game?
>>
>>319914089
All made by Harry Gregson Williams, who was the composer for GZ but only the producer for TPP.
>>
>save a prisoner in GZ
>he starts sobbing and thanking you, or asking for a phone so he can tell his family he's okay
>rescue a prisoner in PP
>same reaction as in Peace Walker
That was an odd step back.
>>
>>319914142
No I got 100% as a matter of fact. The side ops you might be referring to are just normal missions
>>
>>319914319
He only did the two tracks from the ending.
>>
>>319914606
Which are literally called "Side Ops"
>>
>>319908817

Keep telling yourself that, faggot.

MB cutscenes are literally RANDOM, they show up when you meet a certain requirement, especially during chapter 2, they're all RANDOM. And the barebones plot in chapter 1 is fucking terrible with absolutely no character development.

BTW

>let's amass our army and home again to fuck them over
Too bad they never actually did shit with the army, it was always just snake doing stuff solo. At least in peace walker, MSF actually saved snake's ass near the end.

>Here we go again it HAS to be like the other games

Yes it has you fucking dumbass, its literally an staple aspect of the saga, one of the fucking icons, the enemy boss squad, how every boss was extremely singular and how every boss fight was different from each other and required actual tactics.

In MGSV you get:

Quiet's fight which is just a glorified bullet exchange, not to mention its KIDMODE since you can spot her with the mic FROM ANY DISTANCE or by the retarded lens flare.

Man on fire who was a puzzle boss, one that took 1 minute to defeat.

Skulls who were just bullet sponges (Im talking about the only mandatory skull fight, the others dont count as boss fights because you can totally avoid them)

Sahelantropus which is okay but its still a fucking bullet sponge giant robot that can be defeated with a 9mm pistol.

Meanwhile the saga had boss fights that were like

a maze where you had to guide a rocket to hit the boss from the back without him noticing the rocket first.

a fight in a pitch black sewer against a guy who could turn the entire stage into hell (which could burn your ass, it wasnt just there to decorate)

a sniper duel in a fucking blizzard with robot sniper and henchgirls included.

a fucking robot death duel

a brawl which literally turns the game into a fighting game

Also

>>319909354

Never really understood faggots who claim that the game had bad controlS, the controllers were always fine.
>>
>>319914606
They are referred to as side ops.

I can see why you'd be confused though as they are more relevant to the story and are more unique than the majority of main missions in TPP.
>>
>>319911220
Family, did you miss half the filler missions where kaz is taking jobs from rebels to stop the soviets and dindus? There are clearly people fighting, where the fuck are they getting prisoners from? It's not hard to assume the world was probably not finished and they just shipped that shit like that.
>>
>>319914651
I'm pretty sure he did all the Ground Zero tracks as well as a few early TPP ones.
>>
>>319909354

Also

"Every aspect that makes the franchise unique and great is present in V like I already explained. The fact you came up with that batshit retarded analogy shows how desperate you are to prove your moot points."

>No life bar
>No OSP gear
>No usable items (box and pentazemin dont count)
>No epic boss fights
>No epic OST
>No epic set pieces
>No epic plot
>No character development
>barely any dialogue lines
>No cutscenes, story is now handled 90% through cassette tapes.

These are literally the aspects that made MGS stand from other stealth games, and you're saying taht MGSV has them when it clearly didnt, how does it feel to be so fucking wrong?

Its okay, you can admit that MGSV was your first MGS.
>>
>>319914781
Nah

http://vgmdb.net/album/53074
>>
File: 2015-10-10 00.10.56.png (93 KB, 331x232) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-10 00.10.56.png
93 KB, 331x232
>>319914715
>linearity is a shape of the series
>these bosses don't count cuz I say so
>could call any mgs boss ever bullet sponges

Not even worth the effort anymore to respond to you. Just admit you're a fucking nostalgia fag already. See I can admit I do like 1-4 more than V however I recognize V as being different and its own entity because of how far gaming has come since then. The older games will always be there for me to enjoy that particular experience I'm so fond of but to say V is bad because it isn't like that is retarded.
>>
>>319914739

>More unique

Theres literally only 10 types.

Extract highly skilled soldier
Extract Hostage
Unlucky dogs
Eliminate heavy infantry unit
Eliminate tank unit
Extract container
Extract wandering MB soldier
Mine clearing
Extract an animal
Collect blueprints.

The first 3 and animal extraction are literally the same type of mission (extract someone from a base via fulton)
Mine clearing is completed in 10 seconds
Eliminate tank and heavy infantry are also basically the same

Yeah, unique and varied.
>>
>>319914715
tl;dr
>>
>>319904638
Zelda cycle.
>>
>>319915505
You're agreeing with me, idiot.
>>
>>319915430

Are you seriously comparing Quiet's "sniper duel" with the end, crying robowolfbitch or hell, even sniper wolf?

And did you honestly thought the skulls were a good bossfight?

No you couldn't call them bullet sponges since every other MGS boss actually involves a tactic and they all have invulnerability timers after being hit a number of times.

A bullet sponge is one which is only defeated by soaking up bullets, no invulnerability timer or anything special going on.

And not every game is meant to open world, ffs, open world is a cancer in gaming.
>>
I 100%'d it and set a world record for the first month for the Skull Face mission. I was also top 150 FOB for that month.

Here's what I think:
>GREAT engine. Wow 60fps always. Amazing. I'll be sad they never reuse that again or rent the engine out or give us mod tools.
>Great gameplay, fun but with all open world games, it becomes broken very quickly without self limiting and well, when you have to make your own challenge, all real challenge is gone.

>Bad story. Wow, holy fuck, what a load of absolute shit, explains things that didnt need explaining, creates more questions than it answers and shits all over the carefully crafted atmosphere of GZ. All controversy is stripped away and it becomes almost comical by the third mission. Moreso than the usual MGS comical.
>Bad map design. Has about 2 big bases and the rest are unimaginative, just pasted a few assets in a circle, call it a day.
>>
I love all of these people implying no true MGS fans like V when most of you shitters started with 2-4. I've been playing Metal Gear since the late 80s and V is excellent.
>>
>>319915690

You said the side ops were more unique and varied that the main missions

How can they be unique if you end up repeating the same 10 types (especially the first 3) over 130 times?

>>319915430

Literally the only bosses in the saga that have been bullet sponges were the ones from PW and TPP. You cant call other bosses bullet sponges, I really dont think you know what a bullet sponge boss is.

Sahefaggot is a bullet sponge, you dont need to hide, take cover or look for a weakspot, you can literally drop half of the bastard's HP bar before getting a supply drop with minimum movement from the starting area.
>>
>>319916130
I said the side ops in GZ were more unique than the main ops in TPP.
>>
File: dsp.jpg (5 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
dsp.jpg
5 KB, 259x194
>>319916067

>I'm a psychic if someone doesn't like a game it means they started playing from the game which I claim was their first.
>>
>>319916330
Do you honestly have zero self-awareness or are you just pretending to be retarded?
>>
File: 1439743512975.gif (2 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
1439743512975.gif
2 MB, 448x252
I think I would have liked TPP better if there were actually fewer options for support, call-ins, and loadouts. OSP, improvisation, resourcefulness etc is what makes a stealth (or TACTICAL ESPIONAGE OPERATIONS) game more fun I think. After a certain point in the game you just have so many options available to you that sneaking doesn't really matter anymore. At most I think your options for taking things head-on should still require some forethought and focus, for example when I wanted to try clearing that African camp with the cliff looming over it and the walker gears, I used Quiet with something silenced. took a silenced rifle and had her overwatch while I cleared the camp, taking people out in pairs and timing it right. Luring groups of 3 or more apart to take them out singly. But eventually you can just call an airstrike, have your buddy Pequod fuck 'em up while blaring spandau ballet's "True" and roll in with your god damn fucking tank while Quiet aimbots everyone.

Yet you still can't use the Metal Gear that Huey made for you.

I don't know, I can still self-impose an adherence to stealth, but it isn't as fun or challenging as having the challenge actually enforced.
>>
>>319914970
>No cutscenes, story is now handled 90% through cassette tapes

After how MGS4 was dragged through the mud and stoned, how fucking DARE you make this complaint.
>>
>>319916330
You mean like the people I was responding too? Did it ever cross your mind that maybe that was my point?
>>
>>319905427
It's an above-average game that is fun, but it's clear that the original plans for its content were much more ambitious and that becomes clear after you spend the first 8 or 9 hours in the game. The gameplay is fun, responsive, solid. Kind of dumb plot that lacks coherence or a consistent theme that ISN'T just superficial parallels to Moby Dick or muh physical phantom pain and muh emotional phantom pain.

A 4/5 that could have been a 10/5 going by the trailers and the evidence of the cut content.

Also open world was a mistake. Shoulda been that each level was it's own area that was similar to GZ's Camp Omega or Africa's power plant.
>>
>>319914715

why are you getting so worked up over a video game, anon?
>>
>>319916892

That's only because MGS4 was really short on gameplay too
>>
>>319916892
Peace Walker also has a shit ton of cassettes, but at least it also has more animated cutscenes than fucking TPP and you don't see anybody complaining about the quantity or length of cutscenes in Peace Walker.
>>
>>319916828
Yes, it's especially notable how there's barely any equipment on site that you can pick up. In the Glaz & Palitz mission in GZ there is a sniper rifle in a truck which is just a perfect fit for the mission. In most TPP missions there is barely anything to pick up. The only things I've really noticed have been silencers in some big bases like the mansion and the grenades in the radar mission which are necessary for the mission to be completable in the subsistence version of the mission.

In fact, that's probably why there isn't subsistence mode for all missions, because it would fucking suck dick and you'd end up having no equipment aside from an AK you picked up from an enemy in 90% of missions.

I mean you can do self imposed challenges, but because of the lack of stuff to pick up it just isn't very fun. And you can't even deploy without a hip weapon or pistol.
>>
>>319916828
>I can't have fun with a game if people who aren't as good at games as I am can beat it

Cry more, hardcorebabby.

Oh, yeah, and calling Pequod for support is disincentivized by the high cost of bombardment. Comin' in hot ain't free, and the Security team needs to eat.
>>
File: boss.jpg (54 KB, 601x469) Image search: [Google]
boss.jpg
54 KB, 601x469
>>319916745

I dont know, man.

MG is my favorite media franchise in the world

I have literally played and beaten every single MG game, even the MSX ones, ghost babel and the acid series.

I have read the novelizations, I have spent maybe over a 1000 dollars in merchandise, will soon get a tattoo in Yoji Shinkawa's art style.

I have literally based some of my beliefs/life philosophies from points mentioned in the saga.
It drove me to study electromechanical engineering.

I was born in 1993, so I never had the chance to play the games on an MSX (because for some reason every time a faggot such as yourself shows up, he tries to invalidate the fact that I played the older games because I played them in subsistence instead of the original MSX console, fuck that retarded reason, I cant travel through time.) but long story short:

I'm a very fucking big MGS fan, I've been since I was like 7 years old and I believe that V is absolute horseshit that feels NOTHING like a metal gear game, it literally has none of the things that made me fall in love with the saga, not even Snake.
>>
>>319917527
Except you make GMP as easy as it goes so why does that matter?
>>
>>319904638
>An actual OSP
Wrong.
Kill yourself.
>>
>>319916937
>people I was responding to
>didn't link to any other posts in your passive aggressive shitpost
>>
File: 1332777729297.png (1017 KB, 848x900) Image search: [Google]
1332777729297.png
1017 KB, 848x900
>>319904638
Open world killed TPP
There isn't a single location in TPP as good as Camp Omega, OKB Zero was shit.
>>
>>319916892

Exactly who said that? /v/ who just hates on popular shit? Is there any game that is not some obscure indie shit that /v/ didn't completely shit on?

I loved MGS4, thought it was fine, because the cutscenes actually had great story in them and I was already fucking used to the huge cutscenes, the biggest issue with MGS4 was that there wasnt much gameplay in it, but I still enjoyed every second of it. Chapter 3 was the weakest in my opinion but it was still a 10/10 game and a fitting end for my favorite saga.

>>319917527

>Oh, yeah, and calling Pequod for support is disincentivized by the high cost of bombardment. Comin' in hot ain't free, and the Security team needs to eat.

Maybe they should have thought about that before giving me millions of GMP, I had enough money to call in Pequod 30 times in a single mission and still go to a top notch whorehouse.

You constantly get fucktons of money, hell, the reward for that mission is 300000 gmp which already covers the bombardment cost.
>>
>>319918226
Yeah, and how long did it take you to get to the point where you were rolling in so much money that you could call down thunder without breaking a sweat? You weren't doing it at the outset, that's for damn sure, and it's stupid to complain that the game has rewarded you with ezmodo for having succeeded at it. That's how games have ALWAYS worked: you get ridiculous broken superpowers in exchange for proving you didn't need them.

>and still go to a top notch whorehouse

Staff Morale Decreased
>>
>>319904893
>over half of TPP is just side ops you've already done

GZ is more like 10% of the game.
>>
>Harry wasn't the main music producer
No wonder the music was shit in TPP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=494uunKrvLQ
>>
File: 100sad.jpg (45 KB, 442x740) Image search: [Google]
100sad.jpg
45 KB, 442x740
I completely agree with you OP.

However I have to admit that since I decided to only give myself very minimal equipment and always try to go for "No Trace" I've been having an absolute blast with TPP gameplay wise. Ground Zeroes was very much a prototype in many ways that I'm sure you've noticed when switching between the two games. If a version of GZ came out with everything that TPP has in terms of refined gameplay then it would absolutely be the best.

This doesn't make up for the fact everything else about TPP is incredibly lackluster.

It's also a bit disheartening that we only got to play as Big Boss in GZ, despite the MGS series ending up revolving around BB.
>>
>>319917527
My post wasn't meant to criticize difficulty so much as approach. Sometimes stealth is much easier than going full-frontal assault, right? But they introduced all of these mechanics and options for a playstyle that doesn't really seem to fit the kind of game that GZ set up in terms of gameplay and scenarios.

It introduced all of these tacticool options and heavy hitting support when in my opinion it should have been more focused on some semblance of stealth. Not even talking about ghosting, since that isn't even my preferred playstyle. But at a certain point they added so much other stuff, the game felt like it had lost it's identity.

or was that the point? WRITTEN BY HIDEO KOJIMA
>>
File: 1443920996328.jpg (301 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1443920996328.jpg
301 KB, 1680x1050
MGSV would have been GOTY if it had the final chapter where you go into the booby-trapped jungle to take back Salanthropus from the shit kid.

as it stands, MGSV shipped without the climax of the game where shit got real.
>>
File: big boss mgs3 end.gif (3 MB, 469x302) Image search: [Google]
big boss mgs3 end.gif
3 MB, 469x302
I liked Ground Zeroes more for how the game felt in accordance with the rest of the "Big Boss" series of games. It felt a lot darker than Phantom Pain did and I thought it helped push the narrative of Big Boss being this legendary soldier who spiraled into becoming the Big Boss we know from Metal Gear 1 and 2. Seeing his reaction to the destruction of Mother Base at the end of Ground Zeroes was better than any other reaction to anything in Phantom Pain (except for maybe Miller freaking out at Venom for not killing Huey). I went in expecting to get the final link in the story of Big Boss, not this side-story of his Phantom and how he was the real final boss of MG1.

I mean, in the Big Boss Metal Gear games, we had these songs, right?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9hagVL-__c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXkgn3QUA2w (even if the game is considered semi-canon, this song still exists)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQzgI6xJEH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0xUl_VRCmM

You can hear how sad these songs are and feel for Big Boss having gone through all this shit. I was ready for the story of a man with nothing but hate for the world who attacked him and how he built up his nation of mercenaries, how he met back up with Gray Fox and met Naomi, how he recruited Sniper Wolf, and most importantly, his true relationship with Liquid.
>>
>>319921306
He didn't produce the shit you linked either.
>>
>>319904638
I kind of like the fact that the way they presented the fall of big boss

>Brainwashed a loyal soldier, who took a bomb blast for him
>sacrificed a whole hospital full of people who had saved his life and kept him safe
>betrayed Kaz
>>
>>319904638
It was the better tenth of MGSV, unfortunately.
You should've also stressed out the word tension a bit more, OP
>>
>>319904638
>>An actual OSP sneaking operation
You can't be serious.

You could finish the whole demo with the shitty tranq gun that you have from the start.
>>
File: 1449188113319.jpg (83 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1449188113319.jpg
83 KB, 800x600
>>319921949
This. Take into consideration the fact that GZ would have added a much bigger impact to the game had it not been released a year earlier. All the missions from GZ can be turned into big boss side ops. Make it the tanker mission to the game, have TPP play out the way it does, add in the island wth liquid, game is instantly way fucking better than the shit we got.

And that's completely ignoring shit that we can't confirm kojima didn't finish. assuming he wanted to actually flesh out the world more, flesh out characterization more. It sucks to think about what could have been
>>
File: scarystories_thedream.gif (96 KB, 346x550) Image search: [Google]
scarystories_thedream.gif
96 KB, 346x550
Good thing we can all agree that SC Blacklist is a better game in every way compared to TPP.
>>
Who do we blame? Konami or Kojima?

The heatless pragmatists or the idealist who got in over his head?
>>
>>319921787
I believe it's better for games to provide more options than less options. TPP's approach is black carrot rather than stick: going face-first is not punished, stealth is rewarded. And GZ DID prepare us for aerial assaults. Hideo saved the loudest mission for himself!
>>
Fuck off with this meme, GZ is a barebones demo that doesn't even have any gadgets/tools
>>
File: bigbossvsskullface.png (295 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
bigbossvsskullface.png
295 KB, 512x384
Camp Omega has more detail and better design than any other base in TPP

OKB0 is a fucking ahalway with three large room
Afghan central is a parking lot with 3 warehouses
Yakoooboo (or whatever) type bases are the best bases in the game and theyre 1/4 the size of camp Omega

The scenarios for the missions were also more interesting. The eye and the finger was intense and there was a reason to assassinate/extract them. Why do I even want to save these specialists and prisoners?

There isnt a single mission in TPP that involves sneaking around a heavly defended base and destroying equipment. You can stand 70 meters outside of a base and destroy all the coms and AA radar. Its like shooting fish in a barrel

Also blueprint missions are sad versions of the Intel Operative mission

GZ does more with less. TPP has so much, including empty spaces and disappointment.
>>
I don't understand why so many people blame Kojima for all of MGSV's problems. How do you know it wasn't Konami? For all we know it was Konami's idea to make it open world and Kojima wanted it to be different and more focused. For all we know Kojima had a great script written up that would have been entertaining and tell the fall of Big Boss but Konami scrapped it because it was too dark. Konami could have been asking Kojipro to add a bunch of stuff and remove stuff constantly making it really difficult to design the game.

I'm not saying Kojima is blameless but people need to stop pinning everything on him and then claiming Fukushima was the sole person responsible for making Metal Gear great. Why is it always one person who is to blame? Why can't credit go to the whole team instead? For all we know Kojima and his team might be innocent in all this and it was instead something to do with Konami being horrible mangers of this.
>>
>>319923256
Why this wasn't part of the music of MGS V at any point will be something that will confuse me until the day I die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MSwBM_CbyY
>>
File: sweaty.jpg (344 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sweaty.jpg
344 KB, 1920x1080
>>319923927
>Why do I even want to save these specialists and prisoners?

Because they're qts.

Remember, TPP Side Ops are not equivalent to GZ Side Ops. TPP gives you reasons to extract people in its main missions (frequently, the ones dicks like to dismiss as filler), each of which is worth a GZ Side Op. The Major, the Viscount, the Bionics dude, Malak, they get their own little stories. What TPP calls a side op is something that gets you out into the field when you're not feeling up to the constraints of a mission, and that's more like what the phrase 'side op' implies anyway.
>>
>>319924061
He wouldn't have been shilling the "freedom of infiltration" stuff like he did if it wasn't what he wanted.

We already saw what Kojima does when he has to make a game he doesn't want to with MGS4 where he was writing a straight up emo blog about how hollow his life was and the colors on the trees weren't as vibrant etc. and he completely disowned the game in the very first trailer with the Alan Smithee name on the director's chair. This game has nothing like that.
>>
>>319922591
Explain the first two points to me, I don't think Big Boss was behind them.
>>
>>319922803
So like every other Metal gear game?

What's your point?
>>
>>319922591
Zero was responsible for the first two, BB never had a say in those at all.
>>
>>319925489
That sounds like marketing crap that he added to sell the game. Just like Quiet, it just seems like it is him trying to make a "profitable" game instead of a game he wants to make, which makes me think it might be partially Konami's fault. Either way we don't know who to blame yet.
>>
>>319924061
Because there is a very obvious shift of the quality of everything except gameplay between GZ and TPP.
>>
>>319925812
He took responsibility for it by allowing it once he was informed.
>>
>>319926104
That could be because the execs wanted the team to change shit from what they originally planned and made things difficult. My point is that you don't know if it's Kojima's fault or not and you might be blaming someone who is actually just innocent and getting fucked over by his former employees.
>>
>>319926294
Isn't the story of TPP really about Kojima?
>>
>>319925924
>Just like Quiet, it just seems like it is him trying to make a "profitable" game instead of a game he wants to make

What makes you think Quiet wasn't just what Kojima wanted?
>>
Zelda cycle
>>
>>319926518
Well Kojima has always had sexy girls but he usually gives them character, even in Peace Walker he did this. In MGSV Quiet just shoves her ass in your face a lot, it seems like he wanted to give her character but couldn't for whatever reason. It would explain why one of the last missions is all about her, because he was trying to flesh her out a little bit.
>>
Game is good but its no undertake tbtbh
>>
>>319926804
You're full of shit mate
>>
>>319927597
I'm not saying it's true, just that it could be true. It could also be true that it is all Kojima's fault and he fucked everything up. I just see people on here blame Kojima a lot but there are other possibilities.
>>
>>319927729
>possibilities

You mean insane conspiracy theories. Quiet was blatantly obviously Kojima's waifu, right from day one.
>>
>>319927958
Well yeah but maybe he made her initially because of Konami. I know it's just conspiracy theories but so is just blaming Kojima because his name is the first one on the credits.
>>
>>319904638
I fucking Hated Ground Zeroes immensely. It was such a damn chore to play. I beat everything on normal mode just for the hell of it but I didn't have a damn bit of fun doing so. On the other hand I had a hell of a lot of fun with TPP even with it's bare bones story.
>>
File: 1446759294365.jpg (88 KB, 744x680) Image search: [Google]
1446759294365.jpg
88 KB, 744x680
>>319927489
True that.
>>
Its interesting to notice how fitting the game title is to the actual feeling left to the player.

Now, does Konami have any plans to finish the rest of chapter 3 and maybe release it late as DLC or is it really just "it"?
I want to play Mercenaries again, damn that game was fun as fuck.
>>
>>319923489
We can blame both. It's the idealist's fault for not managing the project better and it's the pragmatists' fault for not realizing he was fucking up sooner.
>>
>>319931045
It seems like Konami plans to support the game for a while at least, but mostly in FOB stuff. But I wouldn't be surprised to see DLC if a lot of the work on it is already finished. Things like being able to place cameras where you want them in the FOB which is coming (/just came out?) seem like the kind of thing that was almost ready at launch but needed time to finish.
>>
>>319906239
>typical mgs plot
Nope.

It doesn't have a plot.
>>
GZ objectives are no more varied than those in TPP. It's still "eliminate/extract the thing".

The only difference was interrogating that mexican guy, but that's no different than doing it to any number guards, only the context changed.

TPP however has a greater emphasis on replayability. TPP's tool set, laundry lists and open spaces encourage you to try every mission in a variety of ways, GZ was just grinding for the S rank.

I sank 50 hours into GZ, and now that I've gone back and played it again I can safely say the only reason anyone played it to that extent is because we were all starved for Metal Gear.
>>
Months after finishing MGSV I have to say the series should've ended with 2. Not even 3 should have been made. 2 is the perfect ending to what the series stood for.
>>
>>319922591

Zero did the first 2, not BB.

And how the hell did BB betrayed Kaz? By not telling him about an extremely sensitive plan that required utmost secrecy?

Do you fucking think Kaz "Hothead" Miller would have taken any of Venom's bullshit had he known he WASNT the real big boss?

He would have told (or killed him) everyone after Venom brought Quiet to MB.
>>
File: sad lad.jpg (146 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sad lad.jpg
146 KB, 1920x1080
Yes
>focus on infiltration
>a dense and heavily populated map
>no fulton crutch ruining gameplay
>no ebin loadout shit ruining gameplay
>excellent story
>excellent writing
>top-tier cutscenes
>actually A FUCKING FINISHED PRODUCT

You know what I would have like from MGSV?
Episodic releases. Churn out a new Ground-Zeroes style episode every six months each focusing on a single large infiltration target.

Case in point: imagine if the hospital was completely open and labyrinthine, with BB letting Venom take point, rather than being a shitty follow-the-ass intro? Don't fucking show me Venom and BB escaping LET ME ESCAPE.
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.