[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yo. I want to make a Shin Megami Tensei fangame. I know how to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: ShinMegamiTenseiLogo.png (47 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
ShinMegamiTenseiLogo.png
47 KB, 250x250
Yo.
I want to make a Shin Megami Tensei fangame. I know how to make music and design demons, but not much else. I guess if I wanted it to be in RPG maker I could manage, but I want to make the best game possible.

I want this to be a /v/ project, something we can show for ourselves. So, would anyone be on-board to help out?
>>
>>319890664
>I want to make a fangame
wew lad
>>
>>319890664
I would except that I'm completely useless in terms of game design
>>
>>319890767
What are your talents?
>>
All I've got to offer is voice acting but you're probably better off without that.
>>
>>319891308
Yeah, I'd say Voice Acting would be too much of a hassle. Sorry, but thanks for offering anyway!
>>
I can code and I like SMT. but "fan game" and "best game possible" sound to me like "a fuckton of work for no pay".

Why not just make a monster raising rpg with similar mechanics?
>>
>>319891579
By "best game possible", I don't mean "best game ever". I just mean "try your best, work at your own pace".
>>
post some examples of demons and music
>>
I have a lot of really great ideas about games that could make your game really great. I'm basically an expert on games.
>>
File: Garuda.png (429 KB, 726x915) Image search: [Google]
Garuda.png
429 KB, 726x915
>>319891819
Pic related, my design for Garuda.

My soundcloud is https://soundcloud.com/iwilldevouryourkittens . I post my tracks there.

Just to cherry-pick an example, here's a possible boss theme: https://soundcloud.com/iwilldevouryourkittens/lion-rampant
>>
>>319891991
If you want to hit me up, that would be great! Email is in name field.

(yeah yeah, it's a really retarded email, I know. I made it when I was like 15, I thought it was the funniest shit.)
>>
>>319892160
Not too bad, but is that text on its right claw?
>>
>>319892320
Yes, but I forgot its exact significance. In its in-game design I'll probably change the text to an ancient scripture or something SMT-like.

>>319892276
Forgot to actually put email there
>>
File: 1295124880754.jpg (57 KB, 297x358) Image search: [Google]
1295124880754.jpg
57 KB, 297x358
>>319891991
>>319892276
>>
>>319892160
Well, you actually have some talent. Is coding the only thing you need help for?

Fortunately, RPGmaker is ridiculously easy to learn, if you're willing to put some time in it. I'm a lazy sack of shit, so I didn't, and thus can't help in any way but being an idea guy.
>>
>>319892753
Coding is indeed the only thing I need help for, yeah.
>>
>>319892484
Sent you a message.
>>
>>319892753
yeah starting with rpgmaker and building small proof of concept stuff before trying to expand into a whole game is probably your best bet
>>
>>319892862
Well, you don't need /v/'s help then. Just put a couple weeks or so into learn how into RPGmaker and become the next Toby Fox.

maybe get a spriter and/or QCer so you don't become the next Phil Fish instead.
>>
>>319893081
I can kind of sprite (pic related, a sprite I did) but yeah, nothing like SMT's style.
>>
>>319893346

Looks like shit desu senpai.
>>
File: url.jpg (4 KB, 262x193) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
4 KB, 262x193
>>319893492
I...
I know.
>>
>>319893346
You could get away with using downsized vectors of your artwork if you're going with the first-person RPG view old SMTs use, if you really wanted. No one would fault you, even. Spriting is a hard, thankless work.
>>
>>319893492

I think it is the style you chose, keep trying some other styles
>>
File: Odin_SMT_II.png (2 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
Odin_SMT_II.png
2 KB, 128x128
>>319893346
limit yourself to a smaller work area. don't use outlines. build the form out of shapes and areas of color and then layer on other shades to make definition

or like that other guy said, just use regular 2d art
>>
Not telling you to fuck off or anything, but the /smtg/ thread on /vg/ would also be a good help if you need it
>>
>>319893793
I agree with this anon, use your normal 2D art and scan that. The results will be far better.
>>
>>319890664
4 year Bachelor of Media Arts
I know a degree doesn't mean much but it's better than saying you got nothing.
If you need and SMT like story then I know what to do.

I'd actually wanted to get around to doing this myself so I wrote down a semi complete battle system a while ago.
It's simply all the elements of the games I liked mashed together so it's nothing special, but if you got nothing to work maybe you might want to use it.
>>
Alright dude, I added you on skype. Hit me up when you have the time.
>>
>>319892160
Kinda unrelated question but how does Soundcloud pro work? Can I pay for a month, upload more stuff then stop paying?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.