[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>IF YOU PLAYED ONE SOULS GAME YOU'VE PLAYED THEM ALL.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7
File: maxresdefault.jpg (92 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
92 KB, 1280x720
>IF YOU PLAYED ONE SOULS GAME YOU'VE PLAYED THEM ALL.

Is this statement true /v/?

Is the Souls combat system all these games have going for them?
>>
>>319886942
No.
Each are their own experience.

DeS plays differently than DaS.
DaS plays differently than DaS2GOTY.
DaSGOTY plays differently than Bloodborne.
>>
>>319887017
is it really different enough
>>
bump

I want unbiased as possible opinions on this
>>
>>319886942
Yes, op. They all have the same core gameplay, only difference is that each game slightly improved in some areas while degrading in other.

Regardless of that, if you like one of the games you'll most likely enjoy the others.
>>
>>319887851
Many people say the original Dark Souls is the best Souls game

What makes that game special over the others?
>>
>>319887447
Nigga we know you're fishing for a specific answer.
>>
>>319888371
Well those people are wrong. Demon's Souls was always the best.
>>
>>319886942
Yes, there is only one souls game and that is Dark Souls.
>demon souls
shit
>dark souls 2
garbage and shit
>>
>>319888371
Dark souls is said to be the best because it's the most polished of them all, with the best execution.
>>319888927
Demon's souls is only said to be the best because it's their first souls experience.. However, demon's souls gameplay is faster then Dark souls. Which is it's major plus.
>>
>>319886942
Objection: Leading the witness.
>>
>>319887017
>DeS plays differently than DaS.

Does it really? Aside from having a jumping attack instead of standard plunge on swords with a new heavy attack and kick instead of push how is it that different?

I guess some new weapons too but either than that its the same shit
>>319888927
I urge you to replay it, because it is nowhere near the truth
>>
>>319886942
Pretty much
>>
File: 1433548995561.jpg (101 KB, 700x739) Image search: [Google]
1433548995561.jpg
101 KB, 700x739
>>319889654
I disagree, DaS has the best build-up until O&S, after that the common opinion here is that the game kinda falls apart. DeS is the most polished because was simpler, if anything people prefer DaS because it was more ambitious, but lacking in execution.
Anyway the worst of the bunch is without doubts vanilla DaS2.
>>
>>319890658
>DaS has the best build-up until O&S, after that the common opinion here is that the game kinda falls apart.

That argument would work if half of DeS wasn't underwhelming shite
>>
>>319890765
Which half?
>>
>>319890912
most valley of defilement, the lower parts of tower of latria, 2-2, and a high amount of bosses
>>
No, because only 3/4 of the souls games have actually been good.

:^^^)))
>>
>>319891063
> calling 3-1 shit
What the fuck is wrong with you
>>
No, and the combat is quite dissimilar in all of them too.

Demon's Souls combat is primitive and mostly focused on dodging and getting in your R1s. Dark Souls is more thoughtful, with more useful weapon movesets, poise, and a slower pace. Dark Souls 2 is hot trash. Bloodborne goes the opposite direction from Demon's Souls, speeding things up and making up for the more streamlined combat with sheer intensity.
>>
>>319891226
>lower parts

3-1 was cool, everything after was shit except monk fight online
>>
>>319890128
I played das1, das2, demon, and bloodborne in that order.

Bloodborne=demon souls > das1>das2
>>
>>319886942
Kind of, but not really. It depends on what you think is a worthwhile change or not. There's some slight but notable changes between all of them, but the exploration of the environments, great level designs, new enemy designs and uncovering the mostly hidden and ambiguous lore all play a huge part in what made the Souls games so special. If you absolutely had to play just one though then I'd definitely say the first Dark Souls.

I haven't played DaS2 but it honestly looks like a downgrade of DaS1 in all of those aspects, and from the gameplay I've seen it just doesn't seem to have the same satisfying flair that DaS1 had. Looks like DaS3 does though, so I am looking forward to that one.
>>
>>319888371
Best combat/mechanics, best world design and general progression, great art direction, it's multiplat, and a more subtle atmosphere among other things.
>>
>>319891406
i only played des and currently going through das1 for the first time, so far its better than des desu

by the time i'm done with it and das2 ps4 will have more than 1 game too and i'll buy one for bb, no doubt that will be my favourite though
>>
>>319891514
Meant to say slight but notable combat changes.
>>
>>319891063
Well keep in mind I prefer DaS, but I liked most of the things listed. Valley of defilement may not be perilous like blightown but it has its moments. Yeah first 2 bosses are shit.
Latria is my favourite area in the game.
What's wrong with 2-2, aside from flamelurker?
>>
People say this because the first playthrough of a Souls is all about figuring out the mechanics, exploring new areas for the first time, getting your shit slapped, and overcoming hurdles by slapping their shit. Once you understand the core mechanics of the game, the next Souls game you play you already have an idea of how everything plays out.

As for your second question, I love the combat but atmosphere has always been the strongest point.
>>
>>319886942
No, who the fuck even said that or are you just making dribble up, the differences between each game are huge
>>
>>319891653
>What's wrong with 2-2, aside from flamelurker?

Definitely NOT flamelurker since that fight was fun, if anything one of the only bosses in des that wasn't underwhelming as fuck

fucking bearbugs and tunnels, that's what
>>
>>319891290
>calling 3-2 shit

Come on, you can not seriously tell me that being sunken into that blood swamp in your primitive little cage didn't put you on edge. Tower of Latria as a whole is one of the most atmospheric and haunting places I've seen in video games.
>>
>>319891598
Don't let /v/ ruin the experience for you, each game is good in its own way regardless of what shit posters say
>>
>>319886942
The only one with major differences would be Bloodborne since they changed the controls, got rid of the shields, and the flow of combat is all different.

DeS, DaS, and DaS2 are all relatively the same with minor differences. The original DaS felt the most fluid. DeS can feel stiff at times, and DaS2 is just slow and arduous even after you put points into ADP just so you can roll.
>>
>>319891894
i did rush through it because i didn't like the fucking centipedes so maybe i didn't quite appreciate it

maneater fight was pretty cool though, even if i did it on my first try, bell gargoyles were far more challenging
>>319891912
i don't, its exactly why i'll play das2 as well despite what a lot of people say, but i want to finish das1 first then go back and do a couple of new game+ for des for muh world tendency and character build

then i guess sometimes in february 2016 i'll pick up a ps4
>>
>>319891849
That's up to you, you don't fight those fuckers in the tunnels, unless you want to spend 2 hours for a single level - and there is always the shortcut at the beginning. If you ask me it's one of the best levels.
>>
I'm a bit new to the series. A month or two ago, I managed to pirate DaS2 and, while I can see the problems that people complain about, I don't think that it ruins the game. After that I got a copy of DaS and I really liked it. Honestly, I can't really see either game being better than the other. What am I missing? Also, what am I in for if I play DeS? That looks pretty fun, too.
>>
>>319891406
I've played in that order too.
Bloodborne >= ds1 > des > ds2
>>
>>319891894
To this day I can not remember the correct way through 3-1, but god damn are you right in saying 3-2 is a high point in Souls atmosphere.
>>
>>319886942
Each game has it's own dynamic. The way the worlds are structured, the way healing works, the pace of the combat, and so on. All of them are based on the same core gameplay design, but enough aspects are changed around it that it feels different in practice.

What doesn't change between games is that knowledge is power, the behavior and timing of enemy AI, and the locations of everything in each level. It's the difference between flipping around naked with a halberd demolishing everything left and right, or getting assraped in full plate.
>>
>>319886942
yes
bloodborne is not a souls game, so it plays differently than the rehash souls
>>
>>319892209
yeah i guess it wont be so bad for a replay but trying to explore that place with the bearbugs blocking your way, just fuck

>mfw those flying ones rise from the lava

that shit was tense, probably my favourite part of 2-2 short of flamelurker fight
>>
Why does Dark Souls 3 look like it was dipped in Bloodborne sickdark juice?

With every new Souls game this studio > From Software looks more fraudulent creatively
>>
>>319892416
Fair enough, poor ds2 still at the end
>>
>>319892843
Probably because they're using the same shit they used to make Bloodborne in order to make DaS3 and I'm not complaining because Bloodborne looked great
>>
File: 1428942608559.png (96 KB, 325x358) Image search: [Google]
1428942608559.png
96 KB, 325x358
>>319886942
In a way yes, but thats with every game.

There hardly has been any challenge in a gaming for some time and DeS was a gem on it's own in the time of release and i was flashed similar to how i imagine people being flashed by FFVII when released.

A first time experience will never be beaten, and it can be achieved with any souls game or Bloodbourne, which is the same game to me, just another rehash and not an original title that differs in gameplay style.
>>
>>319886942
Played them all.

Bloodborne has the best gameplay.
>>
Asking this here because there is no LOL thread right now

I remember there was a comic about a girl that was getting bullied and then the DaS guy shows up and kills the bullies and then they become friends. Does anyone have it?
>>
File: FznvraN.png (366 KB, 950x245) Image search: [Google]
FznvraN.png
366 KB, 950x245
DaS>BB=DeS>DaSII
>>
>>319888371

Outside of a sloppily connected world, nothing. It's the slowest Souls game with the worst level design, and it encourages turtling way too much. It's still good, but it's loved because of brainless lore fags that played it for the first time on 360.
>>
>>319893234
>encourages turtling too much
>tfw finished des by just keeping my shield up
>only rolled against allant and parried against garl vinland

easy games in this series to be honest
>>
>>319893234
>sloppily connected world
Well that's a pathetic attempt at criticism, Dark Souls' dense world is unlike anything else.

>It's the slowest Souls game
No, DS2 is.

>the worst level design
Not necessarily the best, but certainly not the worse. Once again, that goes to DS2.

>and it encourages turtling way too much
It ALLOWS for turtling, but there's nothing that encourages it. Dark Souls in general allows for more playstyles than the other games.
>>
>>319893234
>encourages turtling
>90% of players you find are 2handing their weapon and only pull out a shield to fail at a parry attempt

0/10
>>
>>319893198
DaSII=DeS>BB>DaS

fixed it for you man, no need to thank me
>>
>>319893669
yeah 90% of the players are 2 handing spears you fucking moron. turtling doesn't just mean hiding behind a spear like a newbie
>>
>>319893859
Nobody uses spears.
>>
>>319886942
>Is the Souls combat system all these games have going for them?

Not at all, OP. They have some pretty amazing level design and atmospheres throughout the series. Most of all, I like how they're designed without any stupid handholding and coddling like most games nowadays.
>>
>>319894096
I do.
>>
I've been going between bb and was II lately. They're very different
>>
>>319893198
It's interesting how the quality of the games can be aligned with the swagger of their armor. Nothing will ever beat the elite knight set.
>>
>>319893198
DaS=DeS>BB>DaS2
armorwise
>>
>>319893504

>Dark Souls' dense world is unlike anything else
Most levels are either corridors or they're aimlessly large like Darkroot Forest. It has a horrible content ratio. It's a weak attempt at a metroidvania with arbitrary points of progression.

>No, DS2 is.
But it's not. DS2 forces you to complete your swing animation before rolling away, but the weapons, rolls, and even running animations are all still faster.

>Once again, that goes to DS2.
They're generally better looking aesthetically, but they're still shit. With the exception of Undead Burg, Blighttown, and Ariamis, they're all corridors with a poor sense of verticality. If any of these levels were looked at individually, they'd be seen as shit, but because they're arbitrarily connected by a random elevator to another shitty level they're somehow seen as the work of a master auteur.

>It ALLOWS for turtling, but there's nothing that encourages it
Other than the poorly thought out poise mechanics and the ridiculously strong shield stability that is. Did you not see something wrong when an unupgraded Heater Shield could tank hits from Black Knights?

>Dark Souls in general allows for more playstyles than the other games

In its own shitty way sure. But Dark Souls 2 offers more variety in terms of spell casting by giving you hexes and more attunement slots, instead of giving you a welfare catalyst that can be used on every single build with virtually no drawback.
>>
>>319892335
>What am I missing?
Git gud at DaS 1, get reallly good. Put DaS II to one side. Play DaS like it's the only game you own. Read all the item descriptions, complete NG+7. Spend 100s of hours in PvP.

Then go play DaS II. You'll see why people complain about.
>>
File: 1405970008161.jpg (245 KB, 918x706) Image search: [Google]
1405970008161.jpg
245 KB, 918x706
Each Souls game adds a little something to differentiate itself but its core gameplay is the same. It's akin to saying "If you've played one Zelda you've played them all"
>>
>>319888371
80% of this board is only able to play DaS1 + 2

and 2 is shit
>>
Demons > Dark > Fecal matter > Blood Borne = DS2
>>
File: 4324234234.jpg (73 KB, 458x314) Image search: [Google]
4324234234.jpg
73 KB, 458x314
>>319894481
This is why some people hated DaS2, the core battle have changed, the ones who didn't notice was the turtles, aka giant swords masters.
>>
>>319890765
Yeah, really only one of the Dark Souls 1 end game areas is any good, New Londo Ruins.
>TFW Bed of Chaos is one of the worst boss fights of all time.
>>
>>319887017
>SMB3 plays differently than SMB
>MGS plays differently than MGS3
>Gothic 2 plays differently than Gothic
>SFIV plays differently than SF3
This is how retarded you sound. Minor differences in gameplay don't change the fundamentals. You might as well get rid of genres altogether and create a special niche for every game made.
>>
>>319894505
idk, I played DeS, Das2 and Das and I still think DaS does the best job as far as a smooth experience all around. I've tried Bloodborne at a friends place but don't have a PS4 to play it yet.

From what I played, Bloodborne seems the most different of the four. It's really aggressive as far as playstyles go as opposed to the others.
>>
Dark Souls is the best but legitimately has two of the worst bosses I've ever seen in a video game. Ceaseless Discharge was bugged to shit and Bed of Chaos played like it was designed by an intern.
>>
>>319896964
You don't have to change the fundamentals to say something plays differently. SMB3 DOES play differently than SMB.
>>
File: fred.png (744 KB, 758x768) Image search: [Google]
fred.png
744 KB, 758x768
>>319891239
>Demon's Souls combat is primitive and mostly focused on dodging and getting in your R1s. Dark Souls is more thoughtful

Pass me some of that dank weed, bro.
>>
>>319897286
>Ceaseless Discharge was bugged to shit

Its hitbox was absolutely dogshit (just like they always are in every Souls game, unfortunately), but there was nothing buggy about it.
>>
>>319886942
If you played DaS you got DeS (slightly slower) and DaSII (Slightly faster) down

But BB is more diff since dodging functions differently and no poise etc..
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.