[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are point and click adventure games so bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
File: 1367433486119.jpg (105 KB, 600x429) Image search: [Google]
1367433486119.jpg
105 KB, 600x429
Why are point and click adventure games so bad?
>>
Pixel hunting
Puzzles that often make no sense so you just try every item you have.
>>
Why are you so bad, faggot
>>
File: 432666646.png (7 KB, 83x123) Image search: [Google]
432666646.png
7 KB, 83x123
>>319876859
Because I can never finish them without faping then getting bored
>>
If they were more like halo they would be great
>>
>items which are not obviously quest items, can be used/lost elsewhere, and lock you into a failure state
>you cannot know that you're locked into a failure state until you get stuck hours later

>Oh shit, you used that quarter to buy a drink when your character was dying of thirst?
>You were supposed to drink from the fountain in the deepwoods! You would have found it in an hour. Now you have nothing to give the homeless generosity wizard and he'll never give you the Orb of Plot Advancement!

They gave me the autistic habit of rotating as many saves as a game will let me create.
>>
>>319876983
If point and click games gave you complete control of your character they'd be too easy.

Anyone have that comic of the stick figure trying every item he has on a display case?
>>
>>319876859
Because they weren't anymore discworld games after noir
>>
File: 51cCYC+8--L.jpg (52 KB, 500x312) Image search: [Google]
51cCYC+8--L.jpg
52 KB, 500x312
>>319876859
>implying
>>
Point and clicks need to provide challenge and length. Providing challenge via actual story length is the most expensive option. A lot of crappier ones try to make up for it by providing puzzles or challenges that don't make any logical sense.

Pic related, while the game had 10/10 atmosphere, it committed almost every adventure game sin in the book:
-pixel hunts
-items that can only taken activated after other events
-bad hints/explanations
-random item combinations
-nonsense puzzle solutions
It doesn't help that the final puzzle is one of the most brutal guess and check problems ever to put into a game with its seven variables. The only thing it didn't require are timed solutions (and the new Sam and Max games do that despite how shitty that is).
>>
>>319876859
>telltale
>>
>>319877194

That's an adventure game, not point and click, faggot
>>
File: toon095.jpg (44 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
toon095.jpg
44 KB, 480x360
Dunno. I like them. Point and clicks were my favourite games when I was younger, and I still have a soft spot for them. Too bad they're a bit too easy nowadays. I have no idea why would anyone call Telltale stuff adventure games.

>>319876983
>Pixel hunting

That's the part that I honestly hate in the older games. Modern ones usualy have highlighting items button, which is pretty cool.

Anybody tried the Lost Echo game on Android? Looks like something I could enjoy, and lately I have a lot of free time at work, so I could use another time killer on my phone.
>>
File: Dig.jpg (108 KB, 256x371) Image search: [Google]
Dig.jpg
108 KB, 256x371
>>319878438
When P'n'Ls are good, they are amazing.

The people over at LucasArts understood that puzzles in a story driven game had to fit in a meaningful manner.
>>
>>319876859
because they rely too much on point and click and shitty puzzles. I bet most of them would be fine without the fucking stupid puzzles.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.