[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most of you were born in the 90s, and when you were 12 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 19
File: lainps.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
lainps.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
Most of you were born in the 90s, and when you were 12 years old, you were likely at the end of 6th gen or the beginning of 7th gen.

The very concept of being 12 around that age is alien to me, what is it like?

What kind of nostalgia do you have?
My friend says that kids who were 12 when 360 and PS3 were out are all having nostalgia for games like Call of Duty, but I tell him many of them still played the classics thanks to emulation, virtual console and so on, maybe having older consoles from your siblings or parents, too.

What's your personal experience?

Please share some millennial nostalgia with us.
>>
let it go
>>
Most of being 12 was playing N64 and PC games with friends, along with shitposting on NG.

Biggest nostalgia was playing Doom in 95 though, shit blew my 4 year old mind.
>>
>>319822513

My first handheld was a Gameboy Pocket. So I get nostalgic for games like Pokemon Blue and Dragon Quest Monsters. What is this thread trying to prove?
>>
Born in 92.
I nostalgia over Legend of Legaia, Legend of Dragoon, the worst LoK game, and motherfucking Jet Force Gemini.
>>
>>319822959
>What is this thread trying to prove?

Nothing, I'm just curious about the nostalgia of the new generation.

Thanks for your comments so far guys
>>
>>319822513
My younger brother gets nostalgic about MW2 and Guitar Hero. Says that stuff like BO3 and GHLive are nothing like "The Classics" he grew up with
>>
First video-game I ever recall playing was American McGee's Alice. The original one. That, alongside educational games like Reader Rabbit and whatnot were the games I played as a wee babby. From there, games like Super Mario on the N64, alongside a suite of really bad PS2 games (because blockbuster had a shit selection for rentals in our area) made up the bulk of my games. The games I have the fondest memories of are Halo CE, Gauntlet Dark Legacy, Super Mario Sunshine...

So yeah. Lot of nostalgia more for the weirder games on the Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 generation and the way games for that gen were constructed (I don't know how to explain it, but this gen and the last gen really don't do it like that any more) was full on teenager by the time the 360 and whatnot came out.

Nostalgia for checking out game informer and giggling at their fake game ideas, being fooled by fake video game secrets on the internet that were all written in ASCII graphic-filled walkthroughs, struggling with playing gameboys with no backlights out in the sun.
>>
>yfw undertale will be the child defining game of many kids on this generation
>>
>>319822513
92 here,
memories are from the sega megadrive and n64. After that gamecube games and halo's couch co-op campaign mostly
>>
>>319822513

I have nostalgia over AoM, AoE II, Disney games like Tarzan, 102 Dalmatians from the ps1, and arcade games.
>>
96' here. I grew up poor so my childhood consisted of playing Genesist and SNES. Get nostalgic over DKC and Theme Park.
>>
>>319823592
>childhood consisted of playing Genesist and SNES

probably nowdays you can see how lucky you were.
Being poor is not always a bad thing, you had the childhood of a rich idort kid from the 90s, and played 2 of the best consoles of all time, probably the 2 best ones.
>>
'96
my older brother had some old consoles (snes, genesis, n64) that i played for a long time before my parents bought me a gamecube, so most of my nostalgia comes from those gens
got a 360 around 12-13 but i dont really have any nostalgia for it besides a few games (viva pinata and overlord mainly)
>>
>>319822513
Paper mario probably.

Couldn't even speak english then, I remember fuzzing over the word 'ruins' for several hours during the second chapter when you need to uncover the location of the pyramid in the desert area.

Damn, paper mario is an amazing game.
>>
Kingdom Hearts & San Andreas were my childhood defining games.
>>
>>319823515

Fellow 92' confirming this is pretty much all we did. I had a ps2...to play guitar hero
>>
97 here. Nostalgic over Pokemon Emerald, Diamond and HeartGold. Minecraft is also up there, but anything past beta 1.7.3. I have firmly blocked out of my mind. My dad showed me a lot of cool older games when I was around 5 or 6, such as Wolfenstein 3D, Jill (I still haven't played past the first episode) and Duke Nukem 3D. One of my first memories is connecting to a DN3D and telling people off for saying "ass". Good times

>>319823470
I have a brother who's 12, Minecraft and Undertale are his favourite games. Undertale I can kind of handle, but Minecraft is so fucking autistic now
>>
File: aia6uy0aukderiofs2bd.jpg (101 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
aia6uy0aukderiofs2bd.jpg
101 KB, 1280x720
>>319823470
That's not even funny as a joke or a bait to be honest.

If you want to know what kids play nowadays, pic related. They start at age 6 on their dads PC he uses to do his taxes on and shit.

In a couple of years they'll get a PS4 and play some other moba derivative like the one Epic Games are making right now.
>>
>Millennial
stop using this term to mean people who are only turning 18 this year

anyone who was born after 1980 is a millennial, and the cutoff point for millennials is 2000

i was born in 89, my first console was a colecovision, and one of my earliest memories of video gaming involves playing pitfall on an atari
i also remember being 9 years old and playing super mario RPG on my SNES, and later being 12 and emulating genesis games with the DOS version of kega because I never owned a genesis and wanted to play Sonic
>>
>>319823470
I doubt many kids play it. How many kids even have a Steam account?
>>
File: sad cat.jpg (65 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
sad cat.jpg
65 KB, 500x333
>>319822513
>Most of you were born in the 90s
I feel old just reading it.
>>
File: image.jpg (216 KB, 1021x920) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
216 KB, 1021x920
>>319823763
>Genesis, SNES
>Best consoles
The putrid stench of you nostalgia fags is unbearable.
>>
>>319823470
Not popular enough, also I don't think kids play indie games.
>>
>>319824082
Judging from five nights at freddy's, tons do.
>>
>>319824093
I've owned every console from atari to PS4.
Genesis/SNES era had the best console games and the best arcade games.

PS and PS2 had their moments of course. But they could never compare to 4th gen.

And I'm not the same guy you're replying to.
>>
Born in 91. Lived in Mexico. When I was 6 my uncle bought me a SNES with fucking super metroid, street fighter 2, super Mario world and God damned ALTTP.

Best fucking gift ever. I didn't understand the manuals but I read them everyday.

Later when I came to murrika, I nostalgia over goldeneye, twisted metal 4 and halo 2 since those are the multi-player games I played with my friends the most
>>
>>319824093

anti-nostalgia fags are even worse to be honest.

Also, you are also nostalgic for something.
What is it? PS2? early 00s PC gaming?
Whatever it is, you are nostalgic for something for sure, and kids will eventually start making fun of you.

also I'm not nostalgic for SNES and Genesis because my first console was a Dreamcast. I started playing 16-bit era when I was a teenager and I thought it was much better than the current stuff, still think so
>>
'91 fag here, was 12 in late 2003-2004. I suppose around that time I was hyped as hell for Metroid Prime 2, watching my older brothers play Bioware RPGs on Xbox, and playing Yu-Gi-Oh! games on my GBA. Oddly enough though, I am not nostalgic for Wind Waker at all. I had already played OoT, MM, and the Oracles beforehand and in retrospect, WW is easily my least favorite 3D Zelda despite it being brand new when I was 12, so there's that curveball. I guess I just spent my time playing other Gamecube games like Sunshine and Double Dash; I don't think I got my DS until 2005 so that's a little after the matter. To be honest, I remember my life from the Wii's release onwards considerably better than when I was 12. Prime 2 was absolutely a highlight of the time, though.
>>
I have absolutely no idea OP, I've forgotten most of my childhood.
I think N64 and PS1 games are my most nostalgic, but I wasn't 12 when I played those.
>>
>>319822513
'89, PSX is my nostalgia era. MGS, RE/2, Silent Hill, Ape Escape, Twisted Metal, & Road Rash.

My younger brother born in '92 went the way of N64. So he's more into Zelda, Mario, and Smash.

My youngest brother born in 2000 started with Wii + PS3 & is currently on DS+PS4+PC. Also very odd to find out that he emulated a ton of PSX games when he had a PS3, and has played through my entire Steam library using family share with no regards for release date or brand. Currently no signs of nostalgia other than dislike for Xbone.
>>
File: 1431730065181.gif (147 KB, 300x165) Image search: [Google]
1431730065181.gif
147 KB, 300x165
>>319822513
Well I was born in 93 and played what my older brother(86) had. So some of my earliest memories are of Kirby, Mario, FF7, and Twisted Metal. There were others, but I'm too wasted to think right now.
>>
I was born in 92. My family was a bit poor growing up, so I got most videogames on a time lag. For example, I associate Mega Man X with being about seven or eight. Since I could only play what was easy or cheap to get my hands on, I have a lot of "gaps" in my knowledge and memory of games.

I was still playing N64 games, when I was twelve, though I think we got a Gamecube shortly afterwards. Starfox 64 in particular I remember fondly.
>>
I was born in 97. I'd say I have the most nostalgia for games like Runescape, Pikmin 2, Crash Team Racing and Animal Crossing (specifically Wild World). I grew up mostly with the Nintendo 64 and GC, though I still play my N64 A LOT so I guess thats why I have less nostalgia for it.

My little brother just turned 12. Born in 03. Maybe this is because of my influence but if he is going to be nostalgic over anything it'll probably be Terraria, Minecraft, Skyrim, or some of the newer Pokemon games (gens 4-6 pretty much). Those are the games he has probably played the most.
>>
File: 1434962269212.gif (1 MB, 350x300) Image search: [Google]
1434962269212.gif
1 MB, 350x300
>>319822513
1996 babby here.

I never stayed up to current gen shit. I always stayed behind. For some reason the PS1 held me over til 2005, and only then did I make the jump to Gamecube. For PC I had an IBM thinkpad. R52 model and I still have it operating.

For some reason, moving forward meant giving up the enjoyment of what I already had. By the time people had a 360 and PS3 (had a friend that went to get both on launch for each) I was still learning what the PS2 was like. Never had an Xbox either, never held my attention.

Come 2014 and I learned the Dreamcast was a thing, and I get myself one, get some of the titles that were carried over after it dies and had a blast. As we moved forward, the more I noticed fun being non-existent.

Sorry, OP. Not sure if I can relate entirely, but I can certainly say my perspective is not of the current millennials who constantly move forward regardless of repercussions. I don't play for nostalgia, even if I feel it. I play for fun.

tl;dr
>when I was 12 I was still on PS1 having a ball
>im almost 20 and only have a PS3 to play PS1 and PS2 titles on one machine
>>
I was 12 when Pokemon and the Dreamcast were new and exciting.

Jesus fuck what a time that was. VMUs were crazy shit hot. Soul Calibur 1 and Power Stone were all you needed.

Watch Pokemon, play Soul Calibur. Read about Final Fantasy 8/9 in games magazines and occasionally bust out the N64 for Smash Bros.

What a time to be alive.
>>
File: snip121215.jpg (63 KB, 561x984) Image search: [Google]
snip121215.jpg
63 KB, 561x984
1968 here, flew planes before most of you were even thought of. Pic somewhat related, but my first proper console was the NES. I also find it unreal how "old" young people today seem to get OP, but reality is that it's us who age and we will only continue to do so. So it is pointless to complain about it.
>>
File: 1440285622773.gif (2 MB, 296x296) Image search: [Google]
1440285622773.gif
2 MB, 296x296
>>319822513
I'm from 96 sir, but since I was very little (under 8 years for sure but I don't remember exactly) I've been playing classics thanks to emulation (I began with the whole library of MAME32 and the SEGA emulator with Shinobi, Alien Sindrome etc). Anyway, to me the consoles which holds the best memories are the PS1 with Ape Escape and Tombi 2 (for which I had only copied videogames) and the PS2 with J&D serie and many other games. On the PC side, if we don't want to consider the ones who are older than me, I'd say Escape from Monkey Island, Imperium and Sacred.

And now my personal opinion which is kinda shit anyway.
It sounds very funny to me talking about nostalgia in this medium using that word with the same meaning as in other context; it still makes sense though, I can perfectly see and feel why there can be nostalgia. What makes it funny though is the fact that I think nostalgia for videogames made well before one's birth is not only plausible, but also sensible. If one doesn't have the brain of a slug, I think he should be able to put any vidya in the right context and be able to feel this bittersweet sensation even with games he played recently but were made many years before.
>>
>>319824896

If there is one thing I envy about younger people's nostalgia is Animal Crossing.

I only played it recently (the first game on GC), I ignored it back when it came out, I was already a teenager so I was playing stuff like Melee, F-Zero GX and what not.

Animal Crossing is really amazing, it's the perfect childhood nostalgia game. So yeah, I'm jelly.

Nevermind you said Wild World though, the only one I played was the GC game.
>>
I would have been 13 or so when the seventh gen dropped. For whatever it's worth I grew up on a PS2 but had some fond memories of the genesis sonic games between PS2 collections and the fact that I briefly owned a genesis back in the late 90's but mostly my nostalgia is for stuff like DBZ budokai 3, war of the monsters, san andreas. Also had a GBA so I love pokemon sapphire. I don't give a shit what everyone thinks I still loved alpha sapphire when it hit last year.

Also like the summer between middle and high school (which would have been 2007, again when I was 13 going on 14) was when I discovered emulation so around that time I played a lot of sonic and while I liked the games before I think that summer is what turned me into a diehard segafag.

Unrelated to the above but that's also when I discovered Cave Story (might have been the year after I'm not sure) and I have fond memories of just replaying that game over and over, for years I'd do it. Not sure why I ever stopped.

I know I just turned this into a personal blog but shit OP you ask for me to talk about nostalgia and that's what happens.
>>
>>319824942
My grandfather (now passed) was a Bombardier in WW2
We have a black and white printout of his whole crew before they were sent off.

Even when I was only 2 fucking years old he taught me what computers were and how they work. I learned via his 1987 Macintosh SE with a 20mb HDD. He wanted me to prepare for the future to come as best as possible because he saw what the world was gonna be like.

He died in 2002 due to Putrefaction - the liquefying of your own internal organs. He never got to see me grow up the way he wanted, but I still put effort into it.
>>
>>319822513
Born in 93, first video game was Pokemon Blue and then I got the N64 after playing super mario 64. I bought a SNES and NES last year after playing Mega Man 2 on my platformer binge post shovel knight. Gotta admit it's weird that the PS3 and 360 seem so long ago to me
>>
>>319824009
>but Minecraft is so fucking autistic now

I haven't kept up with minecraft since it was like a browser game but I can't see what's so autistic about just liking the game.

I mean, it's just lego ain't it? A fancy version of lego with a prebuilt world you can reshape. Seems like a pretty good game for a kid to play. Or an adult if they're creative enough.
>>
>>319822513
Born in 93. My first console was a sega saturn, but I switched out for a PS1 when I was five. The first games I ever bought with my own money were Brave Fencer Musashi and Star Ocean 2, so I have a lot of nostalgia for them. I played a lot of PS1 games even when I eventually got the PS2, but I also loved Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank when they came out. Getting a PS3 still feels recent to me, and I don't have 'nostalgia' for anything on it.
>>
File: ascvas.jpg (111 KB, 500x687) Image search: [Google]
ascvas.jpg
111 KB, 500x687
>>319822513
91 here.
Started out with a GBC and Dragon Warrior 1&2. That series is and always has been my favourite. Got pokemon and all the other regular stuff.
Got a N64, had Super Mario 64 and the Legend of Zeldas on that, good times.DK64 and Jet Force Gemini were up there too.
Got a PS2 when they were first coming out, and that's when I went turbo nerd. JRPGs for days man, including ones on the PS1 that I missed. Legend of Dragoon and Dark Cloud were some of the ones that I loved the most, and still give me happy feelings when I remember them. Used my PS2 so much that the laser reader got wonky and I had to shift the console around into different positions until I found ones where the reader worked.

Good times. I was huge into crazy long books though, so my taste might have been pretty different, but hey.
>>
File: wade fulp.png (23 KB, 149x150) Image search: [Google]
wade fulp.png
23 KB, 149x150
>>319822865
>shitposting on NG.
I'm not from the time period OP mentioned, but I think I can explain newgrounds to 4chan

Wade Fulp = CEO of Cluck Inc.
Clock Crew = Anonymous (used to be funny but all the newfags ruined it)
Star Syndicate = /pol/
>>
>>319824942
>47 years old
A true oldoldfag, damn
>>
Born in 94, my first console was the PS1. I've got fond memories of playing that digimon game at a friends house, pretty comfy. As well as this racing/pvp game that i can't recall this name of, but it had a character named "Big daddy" in it who piloted a giant merch, and when destroyed he could fly around in a UFO. Then some years later i got the PS2.
>>
File: 1354068129048.jpg (90 KB, 463x463) Image search: [Google]
1354068129048.jpg
90 KB, 463x463
>mfw my childhood consisted of playing outside and on the offchance that I got to play some vidya it was on an old intellivision because my older brother wouldn't let me touch the NES after I saved over his FF1 save
>>
I feel nostalgic about oblivion and modern warfare 2.I'm not even under age, I just got into vidya late
>>
>>319822513
SMB3 on the NES. I always had my mom beat the desert level where the sun attacks you or completely skipping it with the infinite fly item.

I could not fucking dodge that thing for the life of me.

Later on playing SSB with my best friend on N64 and maining pickachu then doing nothing but spamming down B attacks. after GC came up we where always playing melee and i always let him win because he acted like a little bitch whenever he lost. We played brawl once but after that he pretty much stopped playing vidya.

i also remember my old 10GB hard drive computer where i always played flash games on because it didn't have a GPU.
>>
played ultima 2+4 as a child, think "dragon warrior without music," I had an NES which was far more exciting and fresh than it seems to be now, zelda 1 was simply unimaginable, and seemed to indicate that the future was infinite and glorious

my high school was doom and street fighter 2, and the rise of the SNES as the clear and immediate winner, the sheer quantity of major successes on this system hasn't been touched yet

college was SF3, FF7, and the shift of consoles to ultra generic 3d shit with the camera behind the player, this was the moment at which PC became the only option for gaming, since there were still strategy, RTS, and true rpgs being made, X-com, master of orion, and C+C were popular at this time

saturn and dreamcast came and went, taking with them the dream of real video games continuing to be made for actual nerds, and the rise of the xbox generation, which is normies and inbred laborers playing babysitter games

I honestly can't comment on what distinguishes generations now. Once pokemon appeared I knew I would never be playing another JRPG. Life feels more empty because there's nothing that I haven't seen 100 times before.

>grandpa
>arthritis

If you saw me you would swear I was 25 years old
>>
>>319824368
this sounds like bullshit. no spic uncle would have that good of taste in games in '91.
>>
Robin Hood Legend of Sherwood. Best game ever.
>>
'92 here

I remember my uncle installed a sega genesis emulator on my nephew's computer.
The save states didn't work for shit so we kept the computer on all the time during the weekend i was there and we tried to beat Streets of Rage 2.
eventually we managed to do it wich was qutie the achievement for our 12 year old selves.
>>
>add undertale to catalog wordfilter
>Filtered threads: 29

>>319823470

/v/ say this of every retro-pixel game
>>
Born in 92
I get Nostalgic about
Tomba
Legend of the Dragoon
FF IX
Digimon World 1 and Grandstream Saga (which is pretty shitty but i played it on a demo disc i had cause i didn't have any full games at the time)
>>
File: 1437734643773.jpg (20 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
1437734643773.jpg
20 KB, 500x491
>>319822513
>maybe having older consoles from your siblings or parents, too

That was me. Family was poor so I played my dad's NES and SNES till I was about 15 (2005).

Best memory was when I was 12 in the summer before high school when I beat Adventure of Link (the only NES game my dad couldn't beat) and he was really proud of me.

Got a PS2 towards the end of high school and played that for 5-6 years. In retrospect it was interesting how my friends had 360's and PS3's, and I loved playing those games, but I still liked spending more time with the PS2.

After grad school, i made enough money to support my parents and build a real nice PC. Gaming has been good to me.
>>
File: robot bowl.png (5 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
robot bowl.png
5 KB, 320x240
What about this: games that are just too fucking old for you to legitimately enjoy

My vidya childhood was 3rd gen / NES. Stuff that I'd never play outside of historical curiosity is Atari 2600/Intellivision games and black & white arcade games from the 1970s.
>>
>>319827125
A lot of those Atari and Intellivision games got repurposed as flash/shockwave games, so I wonder if people really couldn't enjoy them. I've never played Pitfall, but I played so many Pitfall clones I think I'd still enjoy the original.
>>
>>319825219
Animal Crossing, though I love it, is a pretty mediocre series, to be honest. I mean, the games are great for what they are, but that doesn't stop them from being boring.

I wish I could be a kid and play them again. I tired playing NL a few weeks ago and just couldn't get into it.
>>
>>319822513
92, first game was Mario bros for the original gameboy, then the three original pokemon for GBC, then I got a chippped ps2 with ~200 games.

Then I started playing wow and never touched anything but a PC again Until I got a 3ds
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>The very concept of being 12 around that age is alien to me, what is it like?
Our internet society glamorizes 12 years-old because that kids wasted a lot of time in useless stuffs in a context "before of internet".

Compare how Lain spend the day vs how modern kids only care about snapchat and /v/ and never go to outside.
>>
>>319827125
Remember those days when that was considered next gen graphics?
>>
>>319822513
'93

I played a hodge-podge of bullshit growing up, from NES to Xbox/Dreamcast to those shitty tiger handheld consoles. Some of my favorite memories was playing SSB Melee with my friends on my front porch because nobody was allowed inside. I mained Young Link, and all I did was down smash. I always won.

I also remember getting my dad to help me solve that stupid fucking puzzle in Super Mario RPG with Boo Goo Bones and Kipp. Still have his notes that he wrote to help him solve it around here somewhere.
>>
>>319825745
tfw wade still never checks his pm's
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 500x421) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 500x421
>>319822513
My dad exposed me to games through the PS1 and PC.

As for my childhood franchises, I have serious nostalgia for Tekken, Soulcalibur, Tenchu and KH.

While my peers at age 12 were talking endlessly about COD, I was clocking over 120 hours in vanilla KH2 as 90% of my childhood friends dumped me in exchange for new friends.

Being 12 around 2007-2009 was a living hell. I'm fucking jealous of you 80's fags, at least you didn't have to deal with Facebook/Twitter/Bebo culture.
>>
Alright, I'm fresh 18 so I've decided to tell you what it's like.
Grew up with an NES and PSOne.
First game I ever played was Super Mario Bros, Contra or one of the Adventure Island games, whichever had skateboard segments, I can't remember.
When I got a PSOne I played games like Crash Bandicoot, CTR, Tekken, Digimon World, Tombi and Mickey Mania.
When I moved to my grandparents' I got to spend nights on end playing Driver, Sheep Raider and horror survival games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Dino Crisis with my uncle and his drunkard friend.
When I got a PC I was playing stuff like Quake 4, PoP Sands of Time trilogy, Call of Duty 2 and Serious Sam.
Favourite games are REmake and 999: Nine Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors.
Most nostalgic games are Resident Evil, Sheep Raider and Tombi.
>>
File: tennis.gif (3 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
tennis.gif
3 KB, 800x500
>>319827896
It's a step up from the previous gen
>>
Born in '92 and mostly get nostalgic for PS1 and N64 games, especially shit like OoT, DK64, FFVII, Ape Escape, etc. PS2/Gamecube as well but for some reason not as much as PS1/N64.

I guess I would've just turned 14 when I got a PS3 but it still doesn't feel all that long ago, and there aren't really any games from the 7th gen that I would say I'm nostalgic for. The closest thing to a nostalgic feeling I get for any 7th gen game is Dark Souls and that was only like four years ago.
>>
'93. I didn't own many video games as a kid. Most of my nostalgia is from Pokemon G/S.
>>
File: 1446876652078.jpg (19 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1446876652078.jpg
19 KB, 306x306
>>319828116
>at least you didn't have to deal with Facebook/Twitter/Bebo culture.

Back when I was in school the internet was for fappin' and piracy. The mainstream opinion of e-mail and online chat was "nerd shit for losers to make a friend in Brazil". Good times.

Unfortunately the price of all that free warez and porn was the total destruction of western society through social media and all we can do now is watch it burn. Kinda shitty.
>>
>>319823470
Idk man, i think it will fade almost as fast as it caught fire
>>
>inb4 some retard sperges out against the PS2 with "muh shovelware"

It was super easy to filter what was shovelware with the PS2
>>
>>319828116
>Being 12 around 2007-2009 was a living hell. I'm fucking jealous of you 80's fags, at least you didn't have to deal with Facebook/Twitter/Bebo culture.
Yeah, thank fucking christ. That's something I'm grateful for, actually.
>>
Video games don't really give me nostalgia, though I've had a lot of nostalgic experiences with video games.

>swapping bullshit gameplay cheats and tips with my friends in the cafeteria, before the Internet and fact-checking were available
>sitting by an oil lamp during a power outage, my sister leaning over my shoulder as I beat Lance for the first time
>my first crush confessing to me via a letter in Animal Crossing
>lazy summer mornings with Icons and Cinematech

I don't think nostalgia is attached to the things you do, OP, but how you felt doing them.
>>
i came from a fairly poor family so a lot of my early game related memories are freeware DOS games, namely skyroads and commander keen
after that it'd likely be unreal tournament 2004 or kung fu chaos for a console game
i was born in '94
>>
>>319830158
>my first crush confessing to me via a letter in Animal Crossing
That is the cutest thing I've ever read. Why can't the world be like this now?
>>
>>319822513
Nostalgia somehow reversed itself with me.

I'm born in 95. Many of the things that defined my childhood include Mario 64, Sunshine, mario Party, smash, and the classic sonic games ( I had a collection thing), aswell as the sonic adventure games.

I'm still a big mario fan but all those games I listed are now trash to me, including the whole of the sonic series. Hell even on the cartoon side of things i went from liking everything that was playing on CN and Nick, to only being able to enjoy a grand total of 4 of thise cartoons nowadays.

I really don't know what happened, considering plenty of my favorite games today are still kiddy stuff that came out around the time i was born like Yoshi's Island and Ristar, but i didnt play those as a kid, and the things i did play as a kid, i mostly no longer like.
>>
>>319830517
Similar to me:
>>319826848

How many hours did you log into chex quest?
>>
>>319830158
>>my first crush confessing to me via a letter in Animal Crossing
That's some shit you'd see in a commercial
>>
File: truth.jpg (52 KB, 208x225) Image search: [Google]
truth.jpg
52 KB, 208x225
>>319822513

I had a hand-me-down NES and PS1, and my very own SNES and N64 growing up. I would go to my cousin's house for family visits and play his genesis and sometimes his saturn, but he only had sports games, sonic 3D blast, and X-Men Vs Street Fighter for Saturn so it went underplayed. I had a neighbor that would let me play his PC and we played all those old Mech games like fucking mad-men, it was also the 1st time I experienced an emulator and I played SNES Harvest Moon on it.

Basically, I had a pretty ideal spread growing up. When I turned 13 I managed to save my own money I made off of neighbors and got my Gamecube with Melee and Wave Race. Good times. It was around this time I started to play a lot of arcade games at this family fun center in my town. They had MvC, all the Street Fighters, Time Crisis, Tekkens, SNKs, Pac-Man, you fucking name it they had it. It was pretty fucking awesome. They're still open but unfortunately they don't have a lot of their old machines. They now have shit like Terminator Salvation everywhere and only that kind of game.

By the time I was 15 I FINALLY managed to get a PS2, this was around 2004. Burned through the games I missed pretty quickly, loved DMC, Metal Gear, Ratchet, Jak, etc. I managed to obtain an Xbox during the Halo 2 craze, obliterated games like KoToR, Phantom Dust, and Jade Empire on it as well games like SVC Chaos I was a frequent player of that.

By the time the PS3 and 360 had fleshed out libraries I had moved onto being a PC+Nintendo/Retro guy. I did manage to get a PS3 and 360 for the exclusives, but I don't own a 360 anymore.

I was born in 1991 and I'm pretty thankful I didn't miss out on a lot of cool shit despite my age.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 514x571) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 514x571
'94.

Me and my '95 brother would play a lot of games with my dad and our uncles, we'd tag along in Gauntlet all the time both for Nintendo 64 and PS2.

Also got really into Blizzard's games like Warcraft 3 and eventually WoW.

Other games I nostalgia hard over are Donkey Kong 64, Neverwinter Nights, Halo 2, every single Spyro game, the game boy version of Link To The Past, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and all the assorted Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings games around that time.
>>
>>319831218

>2004

Excuse me, I meant 2006. I got a PS2 around the time I got a Wii. I was so late to the fucking party on that one.
>>
>>319831031
never played it, i mostly played platformers and dungeon crawlers
plus we don't have chex in england so i'd be surprised to come across it
>>
>Using the word millennial
People born in mid 1980's are millennials. Even if you were a kid (at least around four or five) to really experience the SNES and Genesis generation you are still a millennial.
>>
>>319831407
what did you guys get, super weetabix world?
>>
How do you even feel about people not knowing what life is like without internet soon? In a few years a lot more young people would have grown up in a household that had internet since they were really young.
>>
>>319832592

in a few years kids won't know what using a desktop computer is like, kids born in the 2010s are being raised on tablets and smart phones.
>>
>>319833347
>>319832592
I wonder what the year 3000 is gonna be like.

I mean, look at how much humans progressed since the year 1000. Will our species even survive another millennium? Can technology advance much more than it already has/will in the next 5-10 years?
>>
96 here, grew up with the SNES and N64, my best friend had a PSX and we used to trade them a lot. Whenever we got together on weekends we would always pop some Mario Party 3, CTR, DKR or play whatever new game we got. Sometimes we would save our lunch money for some weeks and take a bus downtown to buy some new games or old used/pirated games, Mega Man X2 and DKC2 come to mind, we also had an arcade nearby with SF2, KoF, and Metal Slug.
>>
Huge nostalgia for Yoshis Island, Mortal Kombat 2, then the N64 hit and Super Mario 64, Majoras Mask, Diddy Kong Racing, so many other games. Then gamecube and it was the starting line up. I fucking love Luigis Mansion and Pikmin and meele was the greatest thing. Halo 2s online had me hooked for months.

The nostalgia starts to fade with ps3 though. I enjoyed its games, Little Big Planet was very good but after that not so much else has stuck with me.
>>
>>319832592
>98
>be 9 or 10
>dad buys earthlink dial-up for 20/month
>starts to set it up while explaining to the family in Armenian how it works
>connecting for the first time
>hear dial-up tone for the first time
>we all start cracking up

It's a shame some people will never experience this
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.