[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking about picking up The Witcher 3. Is it worth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
I'm thinking about picking up The Witcher 3.

Is it worth it?
What can I expect from it?
>>
hundreds of hours of fun.
>>
>>319777332
Read the books first. It might be a good idea to play the first two games as well, but not all that hugely necessary, besides missing out on two great games.
>>
>>319777332
this years GOTY for sure,

fallout 4 feels like new vegas with shit mods cobbled together.
>>
>>319777683
There are books?!
Is this a great game for a lore lover?
>>
if you haven't played it by now then you probably aren't interested in the genre so don't bother wasting your time lad
>>
>>319778295
I just got an Xbone /:
>>
>>319778086
I'm gonna presume you simply don't know and aren't shitposting. If you are, well done you got me yadda yadda.
The witcher game series is based on a 1980s Polish fantasy novel series, as a sort of what-if continuation of the story. The books are a thing entirely of their own, not the usual shitty game novel, and the books do use a fair bit of the already established characters, lore and world to make them feel really rich and engaging.
>>
>>319778698
No, I honestly didn't know.

That's pretty fucking awesome.
>>
>>319777332
everything except the combat is top notch.

The combat is really bad.
>>
>>319777332
Boring gameplay. Not worth it.
>>
>>319779169
Is it better than Skyrim combat?
>>
>>319779169
where does this meme come from?

I liked the combat. Come up with an argument faggot
>>
>>300000000
>>
>>319778880
It really is. Only some of the books are translated to English, however, but those which are I've read and they are pretty fucking great, plus there's fan translations floating around.
If you are curious I suggest you go on the /vg/ general and ask there. There's probably still a lot of waifu shitposting, but there might be a helpful pasta in the OP.

The first two books are probably the most beloved, essentially collections of short stories and entirely about Geralt wandering around and doing witcher shit, hunting monsters.
The later books start off a more traditional story line.
>>
File: image.png (138 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
138 KB, 640x1136
>>319777332
Hundreds of hours of fun in one of the best open world RPGs with THE best writing/side-quests/attention to detail.

It's also on its way to winning a billion GOTYs, so there's that too.
>>
>>319779279
Maybe a little bit better.
>>319779380
It would be nice to fight an enemy that doesn't die to mashing the dodge and attack button. There's a lot of games similar that handle combat way better.
>>
>>319779513
Explain to me HOW this game does open world SO WELL.

I'm honestly curious, because I hear this so much when I hear about the game.

I'll be honest, the only open world games I've played are few.
I've played most of the elder scroll series, which I enjoy.
I also enjoy Fallout yeah, I even had some fun with 4, but I'm not one to ignore its faults.

What does this game do differently?
>>
You forgot it's only 22 burgerbucks on GOG right now.
>>
>>319779747
It looks really really pretty and there's not too many places that are empty. Plus the world is massive.
>>
>>319777332
You westerners are fucking hilarious. Just pirate it and if you like it and want to support the company buy it. It's literally what most cracking groups suggest. I swear I have never met a gamer irl that just buys games. Would you buy a car before you test drive it ?
>>
>>319780018
I actually sell cars for a living, and you'd be surprised at how many people actually don't test drive the car before they sign paperwork.
>>
>>319779747
The big thing is that despite the massive world size, there's actually a ton of stuff to do throughout it. Lots of missions, random encounters, villages, people, etc. For comparison's sake, Just Cause games boast a massive open world, but there's fuck-all to do in it.
>>
>>319780114
Was there no male presence in the lives of those people as they grew up ? One of the very first things my grandpa told me about when he bought his motorcycle was that he drive tested it, bought it and took it home by the nose because he hadn't taken the driving test yet. I guess a sucker is born every minute after all.
>>
>>319779747
>Huge world
>Shitload of quests
>Lots of villages and some really big cities
>One of the best if not THE best side quests ive ever seen in RPGs
>The world feels alive, it looks amazing and its full of monsters, bandits, guards and common folk doing their stuff
>>
File: ugh.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ugh.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
do it for the waifus
>>
>>319779747
the side quests are interesting
a lot of them have a monster kill for quest but the story is above average for them.
quick example:
Quest: find missing person in woods
-find torn corpse
-find out it's most likely wolves
-find out it's actually a werewolf
-find out the victim was lead in to the woods by someone
-victim's sister wants you to stop searching
-find out location of werewolf
-find out the victim's husband is the werewolf
-find out the victim's sister lead her to the werewolf while he was in frenzy because she was in love with the victim's husband (werewolf)
-fight werewolf
conclusion:
-kill werewolf
-let angry werewolf kill the sister for leading his wife to him
(i think there was an option to kill the sister yourself, but i can't remember)
>>
>>319780818
What are the side missions like?
Fetch quests?
Kill this random dude?

>>319780736
I've been in the business for 3 years already and I'm pretty sure this is their thought process:
>It's a new car.
>they all drive the same when new.
>>
Well, considering that like a month after the game came out most of /v/ flipped flopped from liking it to hating it, maybe asking here isn't the right place.
>>
>>319777332
Boring, repetitive, over-hyped, edgy garbage with shit-tier writing and voice acting.

Avoid like the plague.
>>
>>319781270
>game gets popular
>/v/ hates it
no surprise here
>>
Idk to be honest.

The game is very meh so far to me but I'm not that far in(just killed the griffen and reunited with yen).

The combat is shitty, there is no denying that. I don't like the open world thing it does. And all these things to explore in the open world are just tiny groups of enemies you kill over and over its never actually anything exciting. The moment feels strange also. I'm not 100% bummed I bought it but I do have a hard time continuing it. Hopefully it gets better soon.

Should have never won GOTY desu lads
>>
>>319780938

you can end the quest by accepting the bribe from the sister right?

also if you let the angry werewolf kill the sister, he asks you to put him down, he'd rather not live a life like that anymore

you forgot the part where you turn on witcher sense and stare at the ground and follow floating air blood for twenty minutes though
>>
>>319781636
>you forgot the part where you turn on witcher sense and stare at the ground and follow floating air blood for twenty minutes though
i thought people were complaining it was too easy with witcher senses
>>
>>319781108
Every quest has a bit of intrigue behind it and the most mundane ones are witcher contracts but i enjoy them cuz you put your detective sleuth hat on, figuratively.
Also, I was wondering if you have a passions for vehicles because i am looking for an online encyclopedia of all the vehicles that have been made so far.
>>
>>319780818
>the best side quest ever
>side quest 1, find a frying pan

G O T Y
O
T
Y
>>
>>319781108
They vary a lot and most of them have interesting stories, not just "go there and kill everyone".

You'll help mages escape a city filled with mage hunters, track down a crazy serial killer, help a friend to find the assassins that killed his old partner, etc. Its hard to say more because i dont want to spoil anything.

There's also the witcher contracts, in which you'll gather information about a monster, track him down and kill him. They're all boss fights and you have to actually prepare yourself, which makes you feel like an actual witcher.

There's also the minigame quests, like playing gwent, beating the shit out of people in street tournaments and horse racing.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.